PDA

View Full Version : Halloween on the Magic - is it a holiday?

yndygo
12-14-2009, 09:54 AM
We booked the Magic over Halloween for 2010 when we were on board last week and the woman on the Wonder's rebook desk said "the holiday cruise is filling up fast. Well, it's not really considered a holiday by DCL, but it is the Halloween cruise."

I noticed that the price doesn't reflect "holiday" or "school break" pricing hikes that we're so used to seeing so that made me ponder.

Will there be sufficient "Halloweenish" stuff to keep my then 7 y.o. interested? She won't miss not being at home and Trick or Treating will she? I mean, it's Disney. Won't they do something the equivalent of MNSSH?

TIA
:goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

mmouse37
12-14-2009, 10:17 AM
Many people do book Halloween on the ships but I would not book and think that DCL will have any huge scale trick or treating onboard. From what I remember after last year's cruise many were disappointed and felt DCL did not do much at all in terms of Halloween decor or trick or treating. I am sure some who did cruise over last Halloween will comment.

If the timeframe for that cruise fits your schedule fine, but I would not book with the hopes of anything on the scale of MNSSH.

MJ

woody73
12-14-2009, 10:36 AM
We were on the Magic for Halloween '08. They had trick or treating and costume contests.

People on the DIS organized their own trick or treating, which was far better.

Woody

fasttrakphil
12-14-2009, 10:47 AM
We were on the Wonder this year during Halloween and the kids had fun going from different stations they set up on the ship. While it was'nt overly extravagent the kids had fun for about 2 hours and basically got all the candy they could want. They literally were given handfuls at each station and we had to ration it out there was so much. So while it is not like trick or treating at home. It did let them get dressed up and not miss out on Halloween altogether and don't forget the rest of the time they off school and on a Disney Cruise and in our case at Disney World also.....

tjbaggott
12-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Come join us over on the Cruise meets thread. I am also on this cruise for 2010, and yes our Dis group is doing our own Trick Or Treat (TOT) event on top of what Disney is doing! You can sign up to join that event. DCL does run a trick or treat event, maybe not supplying the amount of goodies my 12 year would like, but certainly enough for my "Will be 7 yr old".

Soccermom-Cheri
12-14-2009, 11:34 AM
I agree w/ Woody. Our DIS group organized a great trick or treat (a parent accompanied each group of kids to individual staterooms). Later that day DCL held a "trick or treat" and the kids were not impressed at all. Said ours was much better.:)

Anj
12-15-2009, 12:15 AM
We were on the Magic this past Oct, 20 days before Halloween. They did trick or treating and a Halloween party (had to be inside due to poor weather, it was busy so we skipped it). Our kids (19 months, 4 and almost 7) enjoyed getting dressed up in their costumes and doing the TorT. There were also prizes for costumes.

sdchickie
12-16-2009, 08:41 AM
We were on the Wonder for Halloween and I was SO disappointed in it! If I had it to do over again I would have cruised before Halloween and then gone to MNSSHP for Halloween after getting off the boat. The main problem with our cruise was that Halloween fell on the Castaway Cay day which I thought would be cool when I booked it. but they didn't have ANY halloween stuff on the island not even a pumpkin! Since Halloween fell on CC day they decided to bump the trick or treating up a day to the 30th which was the day we were in Nassau. So we left the boat at Nassau only to come back to our cabin and find trick or treat bags on our bed and a note telling us the times for trick or treating which ended 20 min after we got back on board! No time to shower and get the kids in their costumes! I was pissed. The other thing that bumping halloween up a day did was screw up pirate night, half the people were dressed up as pirates the other half were in their costumes. The characters were dressed up in costumes so we didn't even get to get our pictures done with pirate mickey! Then on Halloween they did nothing on the boat, totally stupid of them to bump it up a day!

Maryrn11168
12-16-2009, 09:20 AM
We were on the Magic for Halloween 2008. They moved the trick or treating to the 30th (an at sea day) b/c the 31st was a CC day. Well a last minute change in the intinerary b/c of bad weather we were now in port on the 30th!
Got back to ship and felt everything was rushed and disorganized!! My children got quite alot of candy (mostly hard and chewy candies, little chocolate), but they were a bit disappointed. We were involved in the Dis trick or treat and that was far better!!!! My children were 5,7 and 9, when we cruised. We had a blast!! and there was costume contest...but be prepared for it to be not like home!!

2Princess&aPrince
12-16-2009, 09:44 PM
We are going on the Magic for Hallowe'en 2010 and cannot wait!! I, nor my three kids; my sister with her husband and their three kids; nor my friend, her husband, and their two kids really care if there is a stitch of candy or a pumpkin/jack-o-lantern on that cruise....we will be too busy being on a Disney cruise (our second, their first). Considering you don't normally have to worry about keeping a child's interest on a Disney cruise, I don't imagine the Hallowe'en cruise to be any different....
My kids gave up trick-or-treating in 2010 for a Disney Cruise...not much of a decision there!! LOL!! We'd much rather be in the Caribbean than go trick-or-treating back home....much better food there than candy!

IMO if your 7 year old is having a hard time being interested in the potentionally minimal Hallowe'en festivities on a Disney Cruise, then just remind her that you are all indeed on a Disney Cruise....where even riding the elevator on the Disney Magic is much better than any old trick-or-treating just because you are there!!!! Plus, you can dress her up as a pirate and then use the outfit again on pirate night!! (that's what we are doing:thumbsup2). She will be having way too much fun to worry about Hallowe'en!

Enjoy the festivites at a time that are not at an increased rate and just go with it...it will be the time of her life...she can hard core Trick-or-Treat the next year!

Can't wait to go!!!!!!!!!:cheer2:

yndygo
12-16-2009, 10:37 PM
Thanks everyone!!

I think my DD will be just fine with it given these answers - I'll just go join the DIS meet thread and we'll plan on that. We don't do a ton of TorT'ing here anyways since it is almost *always* freezing cold (if not snowing) in Denver around Halloween. Pretty much everyone looks like "some child wearing a tiara and a parka" or "some child wearing a mask and a parka". ;)

Our kiddo's school has a sort of a "mini-break" over those dates (this year due to a blizzard & the days off she was out for 8 days straight! Mom was NOT prepared for 3 of those) so the timing is right for us.

Maybe DCL will pick up on the opportunity to sell a "not so scary" Halloween cruise and do something a bit more on the Disney note. :)

Thanks again all!!

Tinkerbell.RN
12-17-2009, 10:30 PM
DCL did a Halloween theme night on all their October cruises this year. Our cruise actually ended on Halloween, so we were able to have the DCL Halloween and MNSSHP! It also happened to coincide with my DDs birthday (both on the 28th) so they had an extra-special day!

The events were listed on the Navigators the night before. There was Trick-or-Treating for the kids. Truthfully, it took so long we didn't get to the pool deck in time for them to join the costume parade around deck 10. They gave you a route list that spread the kids out...but there were still lines at all the stations. (Of course, this was true of the Treat stations at WDW as well.)

The great thing was that I got the professional photos of my DDs as Little Red Riding Hood (with wolf ears, tail and feet added...very cool for a preteen!) and Tinkerbell on the white background with Tinkerbell superimposed on the photo in their hands. The pictures are wonderful!

For the adults, there was a costume contest in Rockin' Bar-D. Truly hilarious.

Oh, I forgot - Mickey and Minnie were dressed in great Halloween costumes for pictures!