PDA

View Full Version : When in Rome......Gray Line???

wrennies
12-11-2009, 12:07 PM
We are looking at doing Rome on our own (Med. Cruise, May 26). After looking over the excursions (and the cost). We want to "see" as much as possible without spending a lot of time at any one place. I have looked at this Gray line. They do transfers from the port and have a "hop-on, hop-off" bus tour of the city. Prices seem great ($240 for tranfers - 5 people in a minivan and $22.00 for a 48 hour bus pass). Plus they offer a 10% discount to AAA members:). Has anyone else looked at this, or used this company before?

woody73
12-11-2009, 04:58 PM
Gray Line is a reputable company that offers tours in many major cities.

When we were in Munich, we went on a Gray Line tour to Neuschwanstein Castle. We were pleased with the service and price, and would not hesitate use use Gray Line again.

Woody

Travelbee
12-11-2009, 05:48 PM
We are looking at doing Rome on our own (Med. Cruise, May 26). After looking over the excursions (and the cost). We want to "see" as much as possible without spending a lot of time at any one place. I have looked at this Gray line. They do transfers from the port and have a "hop-on, hop-off" bus tour of the city. Prices seem great ($240 for tranfers - 5 people in a minivan and $22.00 for a 48 hour bus pass). Plus they offer a 10% discount to AAA members:). Has anyone else looked at this, or used this company before?

We'll on the ship just before you and thought it sounded great. But when I checked out Grayline website, the $294 transfer is for one-way only. Is that your understanding too? I haven't checked out the excursion prices yet so maybe at $500, it's still a steal? How far is the port to Rome?

pixie08
12-11-2009, 09:53 PM
We'll on the ship just before you and thought it sounded great. But when I checked out Grayline website, the $294 transfer is for one-way only. Is that your understanding too? I haven't checked out the excursion prices yet so maybe at $500, it's still a steal? How far is the port to Rome?

I think the 0/p has 5 people in their party so for $500 that is a good deal imo.

NCDISFAM
12-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Or you could walk from the port to the train station and take the train to Rome for 9 euros. It is going to take quite a bit of planning, but we will be doing all Med ports on our own for the Aug 7 11 night. The excursion prices are ridiculous. Who knows, we may actually feel more like a traveler than a tourist...

wrennies
12-12-2009, 02:59 PM
Or you could walk from the port to the train station and take the train to Rome for 9 euros. It is going to take quite a bit of planning, but we will be doing all Med ports on our own for the Aug 7 11 night. The excursion prices are ridiculous. Who knows, we may actually feel more like a traveler than a tourist...

I would love to hear some of your ideas. We are looking at doing most of the ports on our own also. The train is definetly a possiblity in Rome . I have heard it is very reliable and inexpensive.