PDA

View Full Version : Someone told me grapes are fattening, are they?

Boots
07-21-2002, 08:52 AM
I have been trying to loose some weight and eat healthy. So when I have been buying groceries I was picking up some seedless grapes. I like grapes and thought that they were good for you. Well a lady I work with told me that grapes were extremely fattening and not to even eat five a day. Please tell me this isn't so!!!:(

Regina
07-21-2002, 09:00 AM
I just love getting unsolicited advice.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I'm following the Ornish program, and fruits and veggies are encouraged in whatever quantity you like. The exception is avacados.

Go ahead and eat your grapes.

Margie J
07-21-2002, 01:00 PM
If you had the choice between the grapes and a piece of cake, the grapes would probably be better. As long as you don't overdo it, thinking you can eat a whole bunch and not gain weight. Eat a small bowl of grapes and enjoy.

The first diet I was on (which worked BTW) did prohibit grapes, cherries, watermelon, etc. All the fruits that had a high sugar and calorie content per ounce. The diet allowed apples, oranges, 1/2 grapefruit, 1/2 banana ... things like that instead. It was really tough since I love cherries and grapes. Maybe that person you work with had been on a similar plan.

iLovDisney
07-22-2002, 09:10 AM
Can you believe someone really thinking grapes have fat??

Nearly anything in reasonable proportions can be included in a healthy diet.

Weight Watchers assigns 1 cup of grapes = 1 point. I know you're not doing WW -- My WW target is 25 points/day.

So 1 measuring cup of grapes would be 1/25 (4%) of my day's allotted food intake. Hardly a significant amount!!!! :rolleyes:

jsmith
07-22-2002, 04:35 PM
On the other hand -if you are following one of the lo-carb plans grapes have quite a high sugar content and are high on the glycemic index-which may have been where the woman you work with got the idea that they are fattening.
All thinks in moderation-if you don't eat a pound of them at a time, and you are not on Atkins or something similar, they should be fine

Boots
07-22-2002, 05:41 PM
Thanks everyone. I am not on eating diet plan. Just trying to eat right and cut down on high calorie items. I usually eat just a few at night on a little stem thing. Maybe 10 or 12 a day.

skuttle
07-25-2002, 10:33 PM
I've been eating grapes almost everyday since I've started my diet. I started about a month ago and I've lost 19 pounds so they can't be that fattening! ;)

For my diet, 1 serving of fruit = 10 grapes.