PDA

View Full Version : Its Wayne's fault (!)

fuse04
11-22-2009, 12:32 PM
that we have booked again :cool1:

Wayne said there were bargains to be 'ad over the pond so I went and had a look and Mickey just dropped the bait in and reeled me in :rotfl:

We have booked for next August at OKW using the disney offer and free DDP; gone for 1 bed villa and sooo looking forward to it 1-18 August and all that space; just think of all that beer I can get into that full size american fridge :thumbsup2

thanks Wayne :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

wayneg
11-22-2009, 12:43 PM
No problem, See you there :rotfl2:

Kevin Stringer
11-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Nice one Rob.

Never stayed at OKW, but always thought how nice it looks.

Kev

Neoshoegal
11-22-2009, 01:10 PM
Isn't it always Wayne's fault? It's his fault we booked business class seats, it's his fault we got through the fast track at Buget car hire, ...
Damn you Wayne! ;) :lmao:

Congrats on booking! I know you'll have a fab time! (slightly jealous of the 1 bed villa, those have a jacuzzi!) :thumbsup2

wayneg
11-22-2009, 01:19 PM
I get the blame for so much.:rotfl:

scojos
11-22-2009, 01:22 PM
I get the blame for so much.:rotfl:

well, sometimes I think you deserve it, lol:lmao:
I think we need to plan a dis meet there are so many of us over there at the same time!
anyone fancy a dis meet???
Tracy

JohnnySharp2
11-22-2009, 01:27 PM
hmm never been to a DIS meet but suspect our dates are a bit late as we don't arrive till the 22nd August.

wayneg
11-22-2009, 01:42 PM
well, sometimes I think you deserve it, lol:lmao:
I think we need to plan a dis meet there are so many of us over there at the same time!
anyone fancy a dis meet???
Tracy

Nearer the time I will try go thru everyones dates and plan 1 or 2 so as many as poss can attend. Thought with so many of us planning OKW we might do one evening by the pool with a few drinks but lots of time to pland & decide.:thumbsup2

hmm never been to a DIS meey but suspect our dates are a bit late as we don't arrive till the 22nd August.
We will be there until 28th or 29th, would be great if you could get to a meet, if you can't or if you think Josh can't cope with a busy meet(this years wasn't too many there) hope we can meet you somewhere just to say Hi.

JohnnySharp2
11-22-2009, 01:50 PM
Nearer the time I will try go thru everyones dates and plan 1 or 2 so as many as poss can attend. Thought with so many of us planning OKW we might do one evening by the pool with a few drinks but lots of time to pland & decide.:thumbsup2

We will be there until 28th or 29th, would be great if you could get to a meet, if you can't or if you think Josh can't cope with a busy meet(this years wasn't too many there) hope we can meet you somewhere just to say Hi.

Sure we can sort something out - as for Joshua it just depends really, difficult to predict especially in the evening, though he will go anywhere if we have his portable DVD player!

scojos
11-22-2009, 02:35 PM
we are there until the 25th, i think alot of us are doing 3 weeks next year.
we are at SSR, but a chance to pool hop would be cool, and as there are buses a few beers would be cool too;)
I think a "pool party" is a excellent idea, the kids can play and we can chat in peace:goodvibes
we may have to find an empty pool as there will be loads of us,lol!!
tracy x

howlongtillsummer?
11-22-2009, 03:55 PM
Hands up for the August OKW club!! Great news.

:thumbsup2

WiganTony
11-26-2009, 05:13 AM
We're also at OKW from 2nd to 14th August but not blaming Wayne for this - he didn't make me press the "Book Now" button ;)

scojos
11-26-2009, 02:46 PM
cool, welcome to the pool party!!
tracy

fuse04
11-26-2009, 02:49 PM
I mentioned the posiible pool party to my DD and now shes keeps asking when it is:goodvibes

luke
11-28-2009, 04:17 PM
Don't even know why I clicked on this thread, but having done it I've been checking out prices for OKW. Having never stayed on site I'm very tempted to book for next august :)

:goodvibes

wayneg
11-28-2009, 04:23 PM
Don't even know why I clicked on this thread, but having done it I've been checking out prices for OKW. Having never stayed on site I'm very tempted to book for next august :)

Can't go wrong at the price, get it booked.:goodvibes
Only problem is getting the flights at the right price to go with it.

luke
11-28-2009, 04:39 PM
Yep, we usually fly Virgin but thought I'd look round at 'cheaper' alternatives, but Virgin still come out chepeast (for direct flights)!
Will be about £3,300 odd including the flights, hotel, dining and park tickets, tho not including car, so still need to try and get it cheaper so DW will agree to it!
Tho that's not that much more than a good few off site hotels we've looked at (The Hyatt we stayed in last year is £1500 and OKW is '£1400'!) :)

scojos
11-29-2009, 09:31 AM
I mentioned the posiible pool party to my DD and now shes keeps asking when it is:goodvibes

arr thats soo cute!!! how is the planning going?
tracy

luke
11-29-2009, 10:47 AM
Well pretty much sure we're gonna be heading to SSR in August, thanks Wayne :)

luke
11-29-2009, 11:41 AM
My only doubt in fact, is that we normally stay offsite and have never even done a single table service meal on property.

Also I'm slightly worried that a Disney hotel won't be up to the standards of offsite hotels, having stayed at the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress and the New York Palace Hotel (NYC) on our last holidays, both amazingly luxurious hotels!

Am i worrying for no reason? Thanks guys, looking forward to getting back on this board once I've been allowed to book (come on DW, you know you want to, I took you to New York as a compromise last year :lmao:) having spent most time on the podcast board recently :)

wayneg
11-29-2009, 01:30 PM
Upto this August we had only eaten at Boma, Trails End, Hoop Dee Doo & Mickeys Back Yard BBQ. So onsite dining was new to us. We really enjoyed trying places we would not usually pay for. I can see why some don't like it especially if paying. Onsite I think is overpriced but on DDP and seemed to take longer to eat meals, it was good to try some new places. Really liked Tutto Italia and Le Cellier both bills came to about $150 for 3 of us, $50pp per meal I would not pay myself.

Can't compare SSR only stayed at OKW. Not sure it will be in same league as Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress(never stayed there either) but many like it, have a look at Disney's website. http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/saratoga-springs-resort-and-spa/

luke
11-29-2009, 01:43 PM
Thanks Wayne, reassuring stuff. The Hyatt comes out about the same price but factoring in food/parking etc the Disney resort seems a better bet.
I guess I'm worried about wasting vouchers as we like to eat offsite (I love Wendys and DW loves cheesecake factory) and also I'm quite a fussy eater and no Disney restaurants overly appealed but I guess they're accomodating and as you say, it's nice to try something different.
I guess ADRs would be my other concern as we don't tend to plan to the extreme and wouldn't know where we'd be at any time!

Oh and I'm leaning towards SSR as we drunkenly ended up in their pool the day before my wedding after a day in epcot so it has happy memories :lmao:

wayneg
11-29-2009, 01:56 PM
We worked the credits perfectly. Used every one and came home with about 6 bags of gummi bears with the snack credits we had spare.
If you want to still eat offsite dine at a few places that require 2. the signature restaurants use 2. Also the dinner shows, like Hoop, include all you food, drinks and tips. Then you have spare nights to eat offite, or just do 10 nights onsite then 4 nights at the Hyatt to end the holiday.
We did miss eating offsite but our next trip at Easter will be all offsite then back to DDP in August.
I was also concerned about the planning, didn't enjoy it too much but all worked out well in the end and ate some really nice meals.
Did you see my thread from August? I posted pics of every meal we had.

JohnnySharp2
11-29-2009, 02:00 PM
SSR and OKW are obviously both fantastic value for money, the problem or doubts I have with Disney hotels based upon my limited experience of them I should add is the quality of the room.

You could in theory pay over £200 per night at some the resorts only to find the room in need of a refurb when you get there, we are hoping to stay a few nights next August on-site too but are going with the 'newer the better theory'.
I doubt you will have any problems with SSR but I know there is a photo thread on the resorts board, you could always check that.

luke
11-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Thanks both of you. Yeah that quality of the rooms are nagging at me too, but I'm leaning still towards it, using Disney transport would be a plus for epcot too for a good drink around the world :)

yeah I was thinking that about using the credits for signature restaurants and shows, then can keep quick service credits that aren't used when we're at Universal and Sea World etc and I'll just have a big lunch one day :lmao: or can they be used for breakfasts?

I've not seen your trip report Wayne, I'll try and find it tho searching can be a pain as I'm on my iPhone :)

fuse04
11-29-2009, 02:25 PM
arr thats soo cute!!! how is the planning going?
tracy

not been doing much so far, going August is very different because oif the heat; have a short list for our ADR's, well when I say short it isn't that short :rotfl: Hows you planning?

scojos
11-29-2009, 02:26 PM
we also planned our ddp, to avoid wasting meals, breakfast at CS was good for us, we are big bfast family, ate a few TS bfasts too, CM, CP Boma, Ohanas and TH.
we did end up with too many snack credits at the end of the hols, brought sweets back, however we did pay for things water etc at the start of hols, so we wont make that mistake again.
looking forward to meeting you all

wayneg
11-29-2009, 02:36 PM
If age of rooms is a concern you should be OK at SSR being so new, we stayed at OKW which is oldest DVC property and had no problems but some have posted about tired rooms there.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2249674
This was my thread, no idea how easy it will be for you to look thru it on iphone, its quite a long thread you will need to skip thru to my posts. Everything on there from 1st time in Biz class seats, pics of our room at OKW to our cruise.

luke
11-29-2009, 02:42 PM
Thanks Wayne, will check it out now :)

howlongtillsummer?
11-29-2009, 03:29 PM
Enjoying reading this thread. When does the OKW / SSR deal expire?

Time is ticking by quite quickly till August...will be ADR time before we know it!

Roll on my first time staying on property - can't wait!!

wayneg
11-29-2009, 03:34 PM
Enjoying reading this thread. When does the OKW / SSR deal expire?

Full details here, plenty of time, all down to the last words "subject to availability" I am waiting for flights but nearer it gets more tempted I am to book OKW 1st.

47% discount: as compared to brochure rate, is valid on the accommodation component of a non-flight inclusive booking and only for bookings made between 6 Oct 2009 and 2 Aug 2010 and stays between 1 Aug and 18 Nov 2010 at Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa and Disney’s Old Key West Resort, for selected room types only. This offer is valid for new bookings only and can be booked in combination with the Disney Free Dining promotion. Subject to availability.

howlongtillsummer?
11-29-2009, 03:39 PM
Oh there is loads of time!! When I booked I think it said December expiry, great to see it extended. Is the American free dining released yet?

wayneg
11-29-2009, 03:41 PM
US free DDP offer is not usually released until Spring, April time.

mossyflossy
11-29-2009, 03:48 PM
My only doubt in fact, is that we normally stay offsite and have never even done a single table service meal on property.

Also I'm slightly worried that a Disney hotel won't be up to the standards of offsite hotels, having stayed at the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress and the New York Palace Hotel (NYC) on our last holidays, both amazingly luxurious hotels!

Am i worrying for no reason? Thanks guys, looking forward to getting back on this board once I've been allowed to book (come on DW, you know you want to, I took you to New York as a compromise last year :lmao:) having spent most time on the podcast board recently :)

We've also stayed at Hyatt grand cypress, and a few other really fabulous Orlando hotels in our time, but took the plunge last month and stayed onsite at OKW for the first time, with the free dining, which we upgraded to deluxe.

All I can say is that we thoroughly enjoyed it, including the planning of ADR's and the fabulous meals. The accommodation is much more basic, even at the "deluxe" resorts, but it is completely fine, and if you go with the attitude that it's somewhere to lay your head, with the convenience of being onsite, I'm sure you'll enjoy it too.

But, as Wayne has suggested, we split our stay (6 nights OKW/2 nights at Rosen Shingle Creek at $69 per night) so that we could still go to our offsite favourites, Cheesecake factory and Bahama Breeze. it also gave us a few days of feeling pampered in a luxury hotel, which is also impt to us on a holiday.

Next August, we're thinking of trying out the beach/yacht club instead of OKW, mainly because of its location/proximity to Epcot.....it's a few hundred pounds more for the days we have in mind, but until we try it, we will not know which works best for us....but we will also have an equal amount of time offsite so that we can revisit cheesecake factory, BB, Mannys etc!

JohnnySharp2
11-30-2009, 02:54 AM
All I can say is that we thoroughly enjoyed it, including the planning of ADR's and the fabulous meals. The accommodation is much more basic, even at the "deluxe" resorts, but it is completely fine, and if you go with the attitude that it's somewhere to lay your head, with the convenience of being onsite, I'm sure you'll enjoy it too.
Next August, we're thinking of trying out the beach/yacht club instead of OKW, mainly because of its location/proximity to Epcot.....it's a few hundred pounds more for the days we have in mind, but until we try it, we will not know which works best for us....but we will also have an equal amount of time offsite so that we can revisit cheesecake factory, BB, Mannys etc!

Sounds like a plan, to be honest for us 'Deluxe' should mean just that, I agree that one of the big advantages is location, but for the prices they charge I want a nice room too. :)

Just a personal opinion, and having never been to OKW probably an irrelevant one.
I like the idea of the different theming at the Disney resorts and OKW too, but I just don't like the idea of it being so vast and spread out. It may not bother others, we are all different after all but it wouldn't suit us really, I would want to be in easy reach of the hub of the resort.

I would also want the proximity to be walking distance to 'other things', which is why the Magic Kingdom or ECPOT area villa resorts appeal.

SSR I can kind of see the appeal of more, as it's newer and close to DTD.

However, both are great value for money, the Disney UK site is quoting just under £900 for 3 nights next August for Boardwalk and Beach Club villas (which is just crazy money) , SSR & OKW are less than half that.

For our first 3 nights we are waiting for the 7 month window dates to kick in at the end of January and are going to try and rent points for Bay Lake Towers, just depends on the $ price per point really, if that doesn't work out we will look at BWV/BCV (not through Disney UK though!..) or SSR probably.

A lot of the deluxe Disney hotels/villa resorts are over £250 per night, which we just don't want to pay, anything up to around £150 we will consider.
Remaining 13 already booked at a Cumbrian Lakes villa, and because of the gap between when the previous renters leave and we arrive, we do have a fallback option of adding the extra 3 days on also, if we decide we want to. Just need to wait a couple of months now.

wayneg
11-30-2009, 04:56 AM
Just a personal opinion, and having never been to OKW probably an irrelevant one.
I like the idea of the different theming at the Disney resorts and OKW too, but I just don't like the idea of it being so vast and spread out. It may not bother others, we are all different after all but it wouldn't suit us really, I would want to be in easy reach of the hub of the resort.

We had the option to be near the centre but opted to be further away in a higer room. Apart from checking in, renting a boat for 30 mins & using free gaming card there was no reason to go near the centre in 16 days but as you say we use resorts differently.

However, both are great value for money, the Disney UK site is quoting just under £900 for 3 nights next August for Boardwalk and Beach Club villas (which is just crazy money) , SSR & OKW are less than half that.

Nearer a third of the price at £100pn.
Renting points seems a good option to get price down but then no free DDP.
Too many choices:rotfl:

JohnnySharp2
11-30-2009, 05:26 AM
We had the option to be near the centre but opted to be further away in a higer room. Apart from checking in, renting a boat for 30 mins & using free gaming card there was no reason to go near the centre in 16 days but as you say we use resorts differently.

Nearer a third of the price at £100pn.
Renting points seems a good option to get price down but then no free DDP.
Too many choices:rotfl:

Joshua isn't the best walker, I can understand why others prefer or are not inconvenienced by being more distant but for us it just wouldn't work.
To be honest that's what for us is a slight downside also for SSR.
That's the appeal of BLT , a hotel-like building with DVC facilities, and extra room with what for us is the best location. It is just in theory perfect for us and has deluxe hotel resorts closeby too (no I am not going to restart 'that' Grand Floridian thread!).

DDP? doesn't really appeal either, hard enough getting Josh in ANY restaurant never mind frequent disney dining, though we do have plans for a couple of ADRs.

Like we say the fact we are all different makes these discussions more interesting.

mossyflossy
11-30-2009, 07:45 AM
JohnnySharp2, completely see your point of view, and it is a difficult decision to make. OKW was v. nice, but it was frustrating not to be able to just go down to the pool for a swim without either a 5 min walk or a hop in the car, or to be able to refill the drinks by just popping down as in a hotel.

Beach Club etc is working out at an extra £77 per day next August for a family of 4 (£177 per day as against £100 per day at OKW/SS). Wilderness lodge is slightly cheaper than BC for some reason. But a 5 night stay at either includes free DDP, and that's why we are considering it TBH. Can see that DDP isn't for everyone though.

We've also been down the route of possibly renting DVC at BLT/BC, but the savings we'd make are cancelled out by the fact that DDP would not be included.

have you considered the dolphin/Swan? If you can get either at $109-$179 then you've got a great location at around £100pn? That's the other option that we might go with too....

JohnnySharp2
11-30-2009, 08:10 AM
JohnnySharp2, completely see your point of view, and it is a difficult decision to make. OKW was v. nice, but it was frustrating not to be able to just go down to the pool for a swim without either a 5 min walk or a hop in the car, or to be able to refill the drinks by just popping down as in a hotel.

Beach Club etc is working out at an extra £77 per day next August for a family of 4 (£177 per day as against £100 per day at OKW/SS). Wilderness lodge is slightly cheaper than BC for some reason. But a 5 night stay at either includes free DDP, and that's why we are considering it TBH. Can see that DDP isn't for everyone though.

We've also been down the route of possibly renting DVC at BLT/BC, but the savings we'd make are cancelled out by the fact that DDP would not be included.

have you considered the dolphin/Swan? If you can get either at $109-$179 then you've got a great location at around £100pn? That's the other option that we might go with too....

Hiya,

Yes we have considered the Swan or Dolphin, and they may yet still be an option for us. We really like the location, and the pool/beach area is nice too.

The problem is, without veering away onto other subjects, 'hotels' aren't really ideal for us. Partly with our son being Autistic and other reasons too.
Having a kitchen is a real plus for us, you could almost say it's essential, which is one of the many reasons most of our stays have been in a villa, we just can't be sure how Joshua will settle in a hotel, whereas we know a private villa is ideal for him, the extra room you get with a DVC based resort offers a compromise on the two. Plus it will give us some options in the evening on-site which we just do not get in the villa.
For just 3 nights we could get away with it I suppose, we will see.

It's something that is difficult to explain really, although that doesn't stop me ;) (probably bored the pants off everyone over the years doing so).

In short though yes, they are an option but a little down the list of our choices. :)

mossyflossy
11-30-2009, 08:18 AM
yep see what you mean, it's a difficult one isn't it....we ended up being upgraded to the 1 bed at OKW and it does make life much easier when you have the extra space, not to mention kitchen/laundry...and BTW you feel free to chat away.....I don't get bored easy!:)

JohnnySharp2
11-30-2009, 08:28 AM
yep see what you mean, it's a difficult one isn't it....we ended up being upgraded to the 1 bed at OKW and it does make life much easier when you have the extra space, not to mention kitchen/laundry...and BTW you feel free to chat away.....I don't get bored easy!:)

:)
Joshua loves it in a villa, with DVDs/VCR, a private pool, snacks and food he loves in a spacious environment. But, he doesn't like eating out and prefers to wind down in the early evening than go out. Whereas the Florida environment has it's effect on me and I want to dress up and make the most of just being on holiday, having a tan and just feeling 'young'. Rarely getting the chance to at home.

He cannot talk and has learning difficulties, so naturally gets fussed up and is always the priority. However, just for a few nights would like the on-site experience to save driving, I can go out for a drink, Julie can go for a walk down the Boardwalk or on the monorail to the Poly (depending on where we are staying etc), and hopefully we can go out together too.
Hence = on site for a few nights.

The majority of the things we do on holiday are the same as everyone else, just there are some restrictions unfortunatley, he can get stressed out at times, making dining out difficult.

mossyflossy
11-30-2009, 08:35 AM

well he's gorgeous! and what wonderful parents you both are!

I'm sure whatever you decide will work out fine, have you stayed onsite at poly before then?

JohnnySharp2
11-30-2009, 09:06 AM

well he's gorgeous! and what wonderful parents you both are!

I'm sure whatever you decide will work out fine, have you stayed onsite at poly before then?

Thanks, he takes after his Dad. :rolleyes:

No we haven't , our only on-site stay was at the Boardwalk in 2006. We had a look around the Grand Floridian and Polynesian in April, proximity to our favourite park Magic Kingdom makes it ideal location for us.
Just prefer (after much discussion) BLT for the fact it's new, all in one building and that kitchen/extra room. After all we can visit the GF & Poly whilst we are there.

luke
12-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Alright then Wayne, you're to blame for me booking too!!

I would never have known about this deal if not for this thread :)

scojos
12-10-2009, 02:05 PM
thats so cool, welcome to the pool party posse Luke!
We are going to take over when we all get there, what dates are you doing and where?
Tracy

luke
12-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Cool party? Most excellent!!

We're there from the 6th - 20th August at Saratoga Springs!!

We actually fly into Orlando on the 5th and will be trying to book a night at a Universal hotel and 'get Universal over with' at the start with the front of the line passes you get for staying there, but not yet booked it yet, will look around for deals then just take the plunge if nothing comes up within a few months!

Sadly our flights were ridiculously expensive but I'm blowing my 'golden hello' (pay out you get after youre first full year teaching) so hey :lmao:

scojos
12-10-2009, 03:02 PM
cheek!! i didnt get a golden hello:rotfl2:
we are there 5-19th aug at ssr too, cool part will involve kids getting wet and adults getting cocktails:lmao:
what do ou teach? i teach dt, there are a massive amount of teachers on the dis!!
Trac

luke
12-10-2009, 05:37 PM
Lol well seeing as how I meant to say 'Pool' party not 'Cool' party, I obviously don't teach English!

I'm a Spanish teacher, very much looking forward to breaking up next week and a New Years trip to Disneyland Paris.

Then this WDW trip will see me through til summer :lmao:

scojos
12-11-2009, 03:12 AM
thats ok, i cant even spell my own name, sure it has a "y" on my birth certificate, lol!!!
it must be really cool if you speak spanish to understand the monorail instructions in both languages, :goodvibes
welcome to the cool pool party posse - enjoy the planning!
Tracy

howlongtillsummer?
12-12-2009, 08:53 AM
Yay!! :yay:

Who is going to be next...???