PDA

View Full Version : Must see things in Dec ??

buzz for boys
11-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Ok so i know we still need a lot of luck to be boarding a plane but just in case we actually manage it next week what are youre must see/ do things in dec ??

SimonV
11-19-2009, 12:28 PM
Definitely give a thought to the big ICE! show/exhibit at the Gaylord Palms Resort. One of Orlando's really unique winter opportunities. Check it out here: http://www.gaylordhotels.com/gaylord-palms/special-events/kissimmee-orlando-events/ICE/index.html

shaun&miranda
11-19-2009, 12:31 PM
Magic Kingdom - See a Xmas wishes fireworks show. These are on during Mickey's Xmas Party, but if you don't want to spend the extra money, go to the Polynesian hotel on the monorail, walk down through to the beach, and watch the display from there (or book a restaurant that can see the display for the right time that night)

EPCOT - Watch the candlelight processional in America. You'll have to queue for ages but it is very worthwhile. Better still, cut the queue by booking a dinner package.

Elsewhere in World Showcase most/every country has storytellers telling traditional Xmas stories from their country -very cool.

Also watch Illuminations fireworks for the extra 5 mins at the end to celebrate the season. The most incredible 5 mins of fireworks anywhere, ever in my opinion!

Hollywood studios - Osborne family lights. On every night from about 6pm. Breathtaking.

AK - Not that much Xmassy stuff here, but enjoy the lighter queues for the rides and don't miss the Lion King show.

Resorts - each resort has its own decorations which are all outstanding. Make sure you visit the Grand Floridian where there is a huge real gingerbread house (people work from it as a sweet shop kind of thing) with a sign that explains how they make it each year - I didn't realise at first it was really made of baked goods! GF also has an enormous Xmas tree.

More generally just walk around and soak up the Xmas music and atmosphere. Notice how the decorations are just gorgeous and eat as much gingerbread as you can stand!

I LOVE Xmas at WDW, hope you enjoy your Dec trip! :santa:

Miranda

buzz for boys
11-19-2009, 12:53 PM
ooh thanks i got goosebumps just reading that so much to see for xmas then - cant wait !!

Mrs Doubtfire
11-19-2009, 03:37 PM
Totally agree with Miranda:santa:

A few other things - sometimes at DTD we have watched local school children and choirs perform Christmas carols - you can also visit Santa.

At the nearby town of Celebration they have nightly snowing on thier Main Street - also horse and carriage rides or a train to take you round some of the houses to see the wonderful Christmas decorations that people put up.:)

SimonV
11-20-2009, 08:30 AM
I'd definitely second the recommendation of a visit to the town of Celebration. The parks all offer a terrific variety of Xmas festivities, though, so it's hard to go wrong!

disneyholic family
11-20-2009, 01:24 PM
I love the Grand Floridian at Christmas. The Gingerbread house is AMAZING and all the decorations are so beautiful there. Really lovely.
If you only have time to visit one resort, that's the one to see. And it's easy, since all you have to do is hop on the monorail from the magic kingdom.

Definitely worth the excursion.

I would definitely try to do Mickeys Very Merry Christmas Party - even though you have to buy special tickets for it.
It's really nice. My daughter and i had a lovely time.