PDA

View Full Version : Arrival Day

eeyorefanuk
11-16-2009, 02:12 AM
We are flying into Sanford, and arrive at 14.05.

Cannot decide whether to book a TS for this first evening or do you normally feel so tired a CS will do at maybe DTD?

What do you normally do on your first day of arrival .... just unpack and get to sleep or go into the parks or ????

Many thanks :goodvibes

JohnnySharp2
11-16-2009, 02:35 AM
Very little to be honest, Joshua is usually too tired.
If we stay in a villa for the whole holiday, which has often been the case, we just unpack and I go to Publix. That's about it.

catherine
11-16-2009, 02:39 AM
It really depends on what time we arrive. If we're arriving mid afternoon, which we usually do, we book a TS meal. This time we're going to Rainforest at DTD.

wayneg
11-16-2009, 03:26 AM
All depends what time we arrive, August it was around 10pm so unpack and sleep.
If we are direct and arrive mid afternoon we unpack, nip to Publix and DTD to collect any tickets and a wander around.
Last Xmas we arrived on Xmas day so dropped cases at hotel, called at Walgreens for a few essentials and into Magic Kingdom, stayed until fireworks.
I never goto bed before midnight on arrival or I would be up at 5am, staying up late gets me onto Florida time.

disneyholic family
11-16-2009, 04:08 AM
we usually arrive mid-afternoon....
check in, change clothes (after traveling for 24 hours straight - since we come from a lot further than the UK), then head for DTD for a sandwich at Earl of Sandwich......

however, DD did the free dining last year and i scheduled her differently...
she arrived midday (since they'd done 3 days in New York first), so she and her friend had a dinner ADR at the Crystal Palace.
It was her friend's first time ever at WDW, so i figured they should head straight for the MK after checking in....and since her friend is a pooh-bearaholic, i thought the crystal palace would put her over the moon - which it in fact did :goodvibes

so i guess the answer is, it depends...

T16GEM
11-16-2009, 04:45 AM
We usually arrive at about 8pm so a quick trip to Publix to get the essentials and then bed as the kids (and me) are usually so tired!!

Up and at 'em early the next day though! :)

Jets fan
11-16-2009, 09:27 AM
We usually have counter service somewhere, it gives us greater flexibility as by 9pm (2am our time) we are shattered, especially in the summer months. Would love to have the energy to go out to a park, but unfortunately we never have. Mind you we are always up by 5/6am!

Tina

Neoshoegal
11-16-2009, 09:38 AM
We go for a CS, there's plenty of nice ones (POR is our favourite). You just never know how you'll feel on the night or suffer with flight delays. Seems like table service can be a bit wasted.

orangetiggs
11-16-2009, 09:47 AM
we normally get a cs the first night as after the flight and getting to hotel I am normally tired so grab something at hotel and head to bed early around 9pm

Elise79
11-16-2009, 11:07 AM
We always grab a CS - usually at DTD. Would want to waste a TS on the first night when I wouldn't be hungery or awake enough to enjoy it properly.

Our fave is Earl of Sandwich :thumbsup2

jackieleanne
11-16-2009, 11:14 AM
Last time when I went with bf we were delayed a few hours so as off site and shattered we just unpacked and looked around the hotel and used the Fairfield Inn foodcourt. Previous years with parents we have had villa and usually just unpack and make a trip to Walmart to stock up then usually a swim in the pool before an early night.

Next year hopefully getting virgin flights and staying SSR for our first onsight stay. Virgin flights from Manchester usually get in about half past 2, usually magical express so once checked in I think we are just going to chill around the pool and look around the hotel/DTD and grab a counter service as knowing what Ive been like in past not usually up for eating a full table service meal and I wouldn't want to feel like I was missing out if the flight was delayed.

team harris
11-16-2009, 12:11 PM
We normally have a swim and a walk around the resort, find out where bus stops are etc.. and then have an onsite CS before bed. We have a delay of 6 hours before now, so I would be too nervous to plan a TS on the first night which could leave us with an extra credit and no space to use it!

natalielongstaff
11-16-2009, 12:18 PM
We always grab a CS - usually at DTD. Would want to waste a TS on the first night when I wouldn't be hungery or awake enough to enjoy it properly.

Our fave is Earl of Sandwich :thumbsup2

And us :thumbsup2

scottishgirl87
11-16-2009, 12:41 PM
We arrive at, I think, 4.15pm-ish in May and all I have planned is for us to explore whatever resort we end up in and if we've got any energy go to DTD for an hour or 2 :thumbsup2

Pooh's-Honey-Pot
11-16-2009, 03:16 PM
We have made ADR's in the past but never got to them - always too tired. Now we spend the time exploring the hotel, unpacking and maybe a swim - we always just have counter service at the hotel that night, or get a pizza delivered!

eeyorefanuk
02-10-2010, 04:01 AM
We leave england at 9.45 which would make it 7pm our time when we arrive.

I agree we will all be shattered but as a back up, we are staying at saratoga, if wanted counter service where would you suggest that is easy to get food from and good counter service?

Assume one would be DTD.

Where else? Just want somewhere easy to get to from saratoga but nice counter service - doesnt look like much at saratoga

disney_princess_85
02-10-2010, 04:12 AM
I agree we will all be shattered but as a back up, we are staying at saratoga, if wanted counter service where would you suggest that is easy to get food from and good counter service

I'd go to Earl of Sandwich or Wolfgang Puck Express at DTD if I were you.

We arrive in Orlando at 2.30pm and we expect to be at SSR for 4pm. We're going to book an ADR at the Turf Club for 6-6.30pm and then we'll either chill at one of the pools or wander around DTD, depending on what we feel like.

fav_is_tink
02-10-2010, 05:07 AM
We land at Orlando International at 1755 [too late imo] so I'd imagine we'll be doing the same as usual when we arrive.

Have CS, unpack, have a look round the shop, a wander round the resort possibly, maybe a qick swim [if we're not feeling too tired] before getting to bed cause we know we'll be exhausted from travelling.

:eek:How could I forget.........we'll NEED a iced cold beer and glass of vino from Singing Spirits before we settle down for the night, it would be so rude not to:rotfl:

We'll be up at the crack of dawn as usual I'd expect; I get so excited for my first full day:rolleyes1

eeyorefanuk
02-10-2010, 05:22 AM
We land at Orlando International at 1755 [too late imo] so I'd imagine we'll be doing the same as usual when we arrive.

Have CS, unpack, have a look round the shop, a wander round the resort possibly, maybe a qick swim [if we're not feeling too tired] before getting to bed cause we know we'll be exhausted from travelling.

:eek:How could I forget.........we'll NEED a iced cold beer and glass of vino from Singing Spirits before we settle down for the night, it would be so rude not to:rotfl:

We'll be up at the crack of dawn as usual I'd expect; I get so excited for my first full day:rolleyes1

Thats what I said to the family that alot of people are up really early so we have booked crystal palace for breakfast.

Think the only "downside" to saratoga is does not look like much on site at CS - where as POP etc there is quite a big menu.

The Eighth Dwarf
02-10-2010, 05:41 AM
Last year we arrived around half six and jumped on the bus to downtown Disney, got a walk up at T Rex. To be honest though it was wasted on us though cause we were so tired. Do.t think any of us managed to finish our meal and in fact the server actually commented on the amount we left.
This year we are flying indirect via Newark so I can't see us leaving old key west on the first night .
Were slightly worried about having a limited choice of cs but we'll just have to manage.

fairytale
02-10-2010, 08:06 AM
Hiya.

I posted a similar question a while back now.

Hopefully I have attached a shortcut to the post ;)http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1781092

Not last year but the year before we got seriously lost, but I mean seriously lost and having left the airport at 3.15 we finally arrived at FWC at
7.30pm :scared1: God knows how we did it, its not like it was our first time. We had a TS restaurant booked but ended up with a takeout Pizza.

Last year, with Sat Nav at hand we was all checked in, showered and changed and on the way to DTD for 5pm. We decided against booking a TS booking this time round and simply got a sandwich from Earl of Sandwich:lovestruc, one of the best CS meals imo, never mind if your on the DDP.

For our next trip I will be doing the same, probably either the Earl again or Wolfgang Pucks CS. Its quick service and you feel like your lagging you can up and leave instantly.

fairytale
02-10-2010, 08:16 AM
Thats what I said to the family that alot of people are up really early so we have booked crystal palace for breakfast.

Think the only "downside" to saratoga is does not look like much on site at CS - where as POP etc there is quite a big menu.

Agreed. SSR is a fantastic resort we love it and are going back there again this year, hopefully ;) But for such a large resort the CS options are shocking and to be honest imo not that nice either.

The boat runs very frequently to DTD from the Boat Landings area and your at DTD in no time. Both DH and I said that a CS at SSR is a waste of a credit when considering the other options available just 10 minutes away.

disney_princess_85
02-10-2010, 08:33 AM
Agreed. SSR is a fantastic resort we love it and are going back there again this year, hopefully ;) But for such a large resort the CS options are shocking and to be honest imo not that nice either.

The lack of CS options is because of the facilities in the rooms, i.e. either a full kitchen or a kitchenette. We're staying in a studio so we're going to buy some snacks we can make in the toaster/microwave, or keep in the fridge.

The boat runs very frequently to DTD from the Boat Landings area and your at DTD in no time. Both DH and I said that a CS at SSR is a waste of a credit when considering the other options available just 10 minutes away.

Well, exactly- there are quite a few options in DTD that are great for CS! :)

The Fetherstons
02-10-2010, 10:10 AM
We usually have a CS meal in resort and go to DTD for a wander around:cool1:

scojos
02-10-2010, 01:01 PM
last year arrived at mco at 3.15, arrived at pors about 5.30 and had ts at 6.30. ds vomited everywhere, prob too tired, so this year we are doing CS, lol!!
tracy

howlongtillsummer?
02-10-2010, 03:19 PM
Our flight doesn't get in till 9.30pm!!! Nightmare. Anyway - if I can get a run to Wallmart I will be pleased - hate to have to go there first morning.

We usually hit Golden Corral if we are off site though. I would be flexible!

2Tiggies
02-10-2010, 03:41 PM
I'd go to Earl of Sandwich or Wolfgang Puck Express at DTD if I were you.

That is how we plan it. It definitely depends what time your flight comes in.
Give yourself around 2 hours from landing to getting to your room once you have cleared through the airport, done check in etc. We then wonder around the resort to get our orientation a bit and also go to the food court for our refillable mugs. Even if we don't use them on check in day (we always have though) we don't want to be fiddling about at breakfast. I always rinse them out, dry them and put them in my backpack and we head to DTD. I agree with Disney Princess's choices of CS there - our faves too. We usually have a light meal to share - salad or something - then end up at Goofy's for a treat later before going back to the resort.

YOu can easily kill several hours there without realising it. When we get back to our resort we fill our mugs at the foodcourt and take them to our rooms. Bath time. Bed time.

To me it is a waste to use a park ticket for the first night unless there are very extended hours and you can use EMH - but first day? Too tired!

Dimplenose
02-10-2010, 03:42 PM
Our arrival rituals-

Get to hotel and check in
Unpack and change into shorts and t-shirts
Have a row
Eat at hotel
TV and bed

Cyrano
02-10-2010, 04:32 PM
We arrived at 3.15pm and by the time we cleared immigration, got the car etc just did a quick shop and pizza for supper.
I think we managed to last until 8.00pm and then all flopped to bed.

2Tiggies
02-10-2010, 04:38 PM
last year arrived at mco at 3.15, arrived at pors about 5.30 and had ts at 6.30. ds vomited everywhere, prob too tired, so this year we are doing CS, lol!!
tracy

I would too! Vomiting TS is more expensive that tossing a CS credit! :rotfl2:

Strange, now that I think of it, I am never really hungry on arrival day. Maybe it does have something to do with the tiredness, change of altitude and climate.

joolz1910
02-11-2010, 03:36 AM
Our arrival rituals-

Get to hotel and check in
Unpack and change into shorts and t-shirts
Have a row
Eat at hotel
TV and bed

:lmao: Sounds familiar.

paul_toria96
02-12-2010, 04:00 AM
We are staying off site this year but last time we landed at Sandford it took us ages to get through customs, car etc. We didn't even have time to eat, we just got to the villa and collapsed and woke up really really early and got a full day at MK.

Hope you have a good trip, we can't wait for our trip :yay:

torsie24
02-12-2010, 04:09 AM
On our last trip we didn't get to AKL until about 8pm, so we unpacked and then I grabbed us some food form the Mara.

Jack had a really bad headache so we went to sleep about 10pm - needless to say I was awake at 4.30am!

Next trip we'll be arriving early afternoon, so I think maybe we'll go to AK (we'll be at AKL again for the start of our trip so I figure the short journey will be welcome) and just get a CS there.

Also AK is a nice park to be tired in as you can avoid the crowds and just walk the trails etc.