PDA

View Full Version : I'm not a snob - honest!!!

mickeyforpresident
11-14-2009, 05:08 PM
Well maybe a little, and this thread is going to come across as totally rediculous, but you've never really judged before........

We've just booked for next summer, but becuase of money issues, we are flying economy (with Virgin). We've never flown economy before and I'd really like to know what to expect.......

Can you let me know your opinions?

disneyholic family
11-14-2009, 05:30 PM
Well maybe a little, and this thread is going to come across as totally rediculous, but you've never really judged before........

We've just booked for next summer, but becuase of money issues, we are flying economy (with Virgin). We've never flown economy before and I'd really like to know what to expect.......

Can you let me know your opinions?

i've never flown economy with virgin - actually, i've never flown with virgin...
but in general, economy sucks a bit after you've flown something better..
HOWEVER, if the choice is between economy and not going at all - well, that's a no-brainer....economy it is...
you'll get there at the same time as the other classes.....you'll be a lot less comfortable and all of that...
but really, it's only how many hours? you'll survive..perhaps less happily than you might have otherwise...
but on the up side, you'll be with mickey....

my only advice, try to get up and walk around a bit, if possible...
it's good to keep your blood circulating..

Bigbluebear
11-14-2009, 05:50 PM
Just be thankful that your money issues are allowing you to still go to florida.

Who cares how you get there, plenty of folk with money issues cant afford to go anywhere never mind to florida for a holiday.

You get a seat, you get fed, you get to watch a couple of films, you get off the plane in the same place as you would if you went first class or whatever its called.

Personally i wouldnt spend the extra money to fly with Virgin. Cheaper companys still get you to the same place.

stoneyloon
11-15-2009, 01:23 AM
Virgin's economy is better than some others.
I'll never fly with the likes of Thomas Cook or First Choice again, I found them far too uncomfortable for a trans-atlantic flight but Virgin was OK.

Dimplenose
11-15-2009, 02:19 AM
Prepare to be squashed, bumped into and not get your choice of meal. Then once you arrive get off the plane, forget the flight and have a great holiday.

Sweet Pea UK
11-15-2009, 04:11 AM
Hi Mickeyforpresident

We are at the GF for 3 weeks as well in August - what dates are you going?

dizneygib
11-15-2009, 04:47 AM
Well put it this way you will see more animals than you ever will in th Animal Kingdom.............only kidding:rotfl2:

Neoshoegal
11-15-2009, 04:48 AM
Imagine it like a long coach/bus journey but you do have a little tv in front of you. Compared to UC or business it is really a bummer, but as others have said, you get there at the same time albeit probably not quite as rested.

natalielongstaff
11-15-2009, 04:53 AM
Prepare to be squashed, bumped into and not get your choice of meal. Then once you arrive get off the plane, forget the flight and have a great holiday.

We take that approach ;)

Muscateer
11-15-2009, 05:11 AM
Well put it this way you will see more animals than you ever will in th Animal Kingdom.............only kidding:rotfl2:

That's how they call it cattle class:lmao:

T16GEM
11-15-2009, 05:29 AM
:rotfl:

Well if it were a choice of not going or going Econ then I would say I would rather go and put up with it for 8 hours.
We have only ever flown econ and it's not a huge problem for us, I'd rather have the extra money to spend when we get there - as for being rested - with a 4 year old and a 2 year old it's never gonna happen where ever we sit! ;)

stoneyloon
11-15-2009, 05:31 AM
:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl2::lmao:

Elise79
11-15-2009, 05:49 AM
Ok we have flown PE and Econ on Virgin. All our recent flights have been PE. I took DD for a walk around the plane in March as she woke up early on the return flight and to keep her quiet I had to walk - well it was a shock walking through Econ I had forgotten how close the seats are and how many people are in the one space!

However having said that - if I had a choice between Econ and not going I would fly econ. I wouldn't fly charter into Sanford though - not that its an option as we go for strange numbers of nights which they just don't cater for anyway.

We have been totally spoilt by PE. :lmao:

Emimy
11-15-2009, 05:54 AM
I've only ever flown Economy... and to be honest I don't think it's all that bad. I last flew with First Choice and I honestly thought their economy seats were fantastic! But then, I've never flown anything else so I don't go expecting all kinds of luxuries anyway. I once flew Travel City Direct economy, and that was really awful - but I would expect Virgin would be a lot better.

mickeyforpresident
11-15-2009, 06:35 AM
We are at the GF for 3 weeks as well in August - what dates are you going?

Hey Sweet Pea

We leave Manchester on August 1st for two weeks!!! The GF is wonderful - we went for three weeks in 2008 and loved it, so can't wait to go back!!!!! When are you going?

mickeyforpresident
11-15-2009, 06:42 AM
Thanks for the replies. We've only ever flown PE before, and the last time we went to Washington DC, we flew upper - which was the best experience ever!!!!!

Oh well - it'll get us there!!!!

wideeyes
11-15-2009, 07:53 AM
Oh well - it'll get us there!!!!

That is the positive thinking:)

I would rather go PE in Jan however it is econ or not go at all so easy choice. (though I am hoping that virgin will the upgrades for 150 at the airport;))

Tinks1984
11-15-2009, 07:58 AM
Me personally, I have only ever flown economy, so wouldn't know any difference. I've never had a bad flight so far, so I'm obviously not as bothered, as long as I know where I'm going to end up.

I always think that I'm very lucky either way to even be heading there, there are many kids/adults who'd love to go there and probably never will. I'm thankful that I've even had one trip, let alone the other 4 that have/will follow :lovestruc

Obi Wan Kenobi
11-15-2009, 08:07 AM
went economy about 20 years ago, was a horrendous trip. Vowed bnever again and thats been my line since then.
If I can't afford to go in comfort then I won't go. But then I am not so Disney obsessed as some :goodvibes and the journey is as much of the holiday as the place itself, whether it be Florida (Disney or no disney) or any other place in the world.
There are some who go to Disney property every year, never leave the resort, catch the ME to and from the resport and to many of those, if they could go in better conditions they would, but so long as it gets them to WDW they really don't care what the 8/10/12 hours are like (I would say, the perfect passengers for a no frills Ryanair style airline) But to me I would rather go to say, Europe in comfort (no, not Disnyland Paris, but Spain, Portugal, Germany etc etc) than to Florida in discomfort.

Each to their own I guess.

Kath2003
11-15-2009, 08:14 AM
Good grief. It's economy, not the deep dark depths of hell.

Flown PE and economy and there is NO WAY that I would be prepared to pay for PE. Economy is fine. You get a TV. I have always gotten my choice of meal. I have rarely been bumped into. I have on the whole sat with very pleasant people including random strangers. The staff have always been courteous and pleasant. My seat has always been clean. Drinks have always been plentiful.

My experience of PE was that it is slightly more roomy, slightly quieter and there are slightly fewer people per toilet. :rotfl:

Journey for me is simply a means of getting there. I could spent the upgrade money getting a better hotel, where I will spend two weeks rather than just ten hours. Or it could pay for my dining, part of my park tickets etc. If you accept that it's not going to be the most enjoyable day of your life, suck it up and just get on with it, it's fine! Take a good book :thumbsup2

tinks_1989
11-15-2009, 08:19 AM
personally I have always thought of upgrading a flight a waste of money it doesnt get you there any quicker I know it may be more enjoyable but I would rather upgrade a hotel then a flight

wayneg
11-15-2009, 08:59 AM
personally I have always thought of upgrading a flight a waste of money it doesnt get you there any quicker I know it may be more enjoyable but I would rather upgrade a hotel then a flight

Until we tried Business class in August I always said anything other than economy was a waste of money, now after experiencing it I still wouldn't pay crazy prices but willing to pay a lot more than economy. Personally I would rather go business class flights and a good value hotel (eg OKW with free DDP or a Fairfield Inn offsite) but we see a hotel to sleep in a few hours, don't use any facilities.
Before August having only experienced economy I would have said it gets you there and back, its fine, after try better I now know why people would rather not fly economy.
If we go Easter it will be economy, August hoping for a Business class offer.

mickeyforpresident
11-15-2009, 09:00 AM
That is the positive thinking:)

I would rather go PE in Jan however it is econ or not go at all so easy choice. (though I am hoping that virgin will the upgrades for 150 at the airport;))

Now this is interesting - what's this all about? 150 - and you ask at check-in? Can you do this if you do online check-in?

wideeyes
11-15-2009, 09:07 AM
Now this is interesting - what's this all about? 150 - and you ask at check-in? Can you do this if you do online check-in?

When we went in september 2008 they were doing PE upgrades for 150 per person one way at the airport. If they do it when we go in January I will upgrade.
I wouldn't think it matters if you do OLCI ot not confused3

oceanscape
11-15-2009, 09:11 AM
It's extremely unlikely there will be availability for your dates in August. And in the event there is, it's more likely to be 250 than 150 (each way).

Obi Wan Kenobi
11-15-2009, 10:01 AM

Actually if you have long legs it IS the depths of hell!
the seat pitch is 31" both my wife and I have longer legs than that. the one time in Economy we both had bad backs for days afterwards after being cramped in.
You cannot sleep in seats which recline a couple of inches, the food is of a cheap quality, the luggage allowance is rubbish, and so it goes on.

To me its not either or, if you don't do it properly, don't do it at all, and thats all sections of the holiday.

Neoshoegal
11-15-2009, 10:11 AM
Until we tried Business class in August I always said anything other than economy was a waste of money, now after experiencing it I still wouldn't pay crazy prices but willing to pay a lot more than economy. Personally I would rather go business class flights and a good value hotel (eg OKW with free DDP or a Fairfield Inn offsite) but we see a hotel to sleep in a few hours, don't use any facilities.
Before August having only experienced economy I would have said it gets you there and back, its fine, after try better I now know why people would rather not fly economy.

Have to agree with Wayne here, also used to think that it just couldn't be worth it. Once you've experienced the difference a few times, it gets harder and harder to go back. I consider myself very lucky have been able to fly business a few times now (mainly thanks to special offers, and once for my 30th birthday).
Now we really don't want to go back to economy or even PE anymore. For us now, the flight has become an enjoyable part of the holiday and would rather save a bit longer than go economy.

Kath2003
11-15-2009, 10:29 AM
Actually if you have long legs it IS the depths of hell!
the seat pitch is 31" both my wife and I have longer legs than that. the one time in Economy we both had bad backs for days afterwards after being cramped in.
You cannot sleep in seats which recline a couple of inches, the food is of a cheap quality, the luggage allowance is rubbish, and so it goes on.

To me its not either or, if you don't do it properly, don't do it at all, and thats all sections of the holiday.

My partner is 6' and had no problems in economy. Granted it wasn't exactly roomy but it far from crippled either of us.

Sleeping on the way out there isn't important for us since it's the daytime and we accept that we will be pretty tired on the return journey and get some sleep when we get home.

The food isn't much different to PE (at least it isn't on BA flights) and we take a few snacks for if we're hungry. We eat a proper meal when we arrive at each destination.

The luggage allowance is 46kg! We don't even bring enough stuff to bother to check bags but if we did, I think somehow between the two of us we'd manage to pack less than 92kg worth of belongings PLUS hand luggage for a two-week vacation :lmao:

For our Easter trip it would cost over 700 MORE with Virgin to fly PE. Given the complaints you mentioned above, we'd spend the money instead on either upgrading a hotel (50 more per night for a two week vacation), paying for a massage, extending the holiday by several days, dining at Victoria and Alberts a couple of times and shipping the kitchen sink over there to meet us on arrival ;)

For us, we can't justify spending that kind of money for a meal that will still be average, a little bit extra comfort and more baggage that we probably wouldn't need anyway. For us, it's about being there, not getting there. Flying economy means we can be there for longer, that we can make the most of it when we're there and more importantly that we can go back twice as often!

(Then again, we have been known the fly the dreaded American Airlines, with whom I have experienced service just as good as, if not better than, BA or VA. Oh and the food is the best I've had in the air too - who knew that 'slumming it' would pay off? ;))

disneyholic family
11-15-2009, 10:29 AM

:rotfl:

wow - a total conversion Wayne!!
you've been born again!!

You're not just singing the praises of business class, but onsite as well.....i'm starting to believe....in everything....santa, the tooth fairy, even tinker bell... ;)

by the way, DH is 6' 7" tall and he ALWAYS travels business class (other than within the US)....
he simply cannot fit in an economy seat.....that is, his legs just don't fit...no way..no how...
when he was young it was manageable, but no more....

Obi Wan Kenobi
11-15-2009, 10:45 AM
Kath,
It all depends on how you are built, if you have long legs compared to your torso size etc.

Travelling back up to the midlands I would NOT even contemplate it without sleep. it is dangerous. lack of sleep is a motorway killer.

The luggage allowance on both BA and Virgin Economy is now 1 x 23KG case per person, not a lot if you shop whilst in Florida.

Again, we are all different and as a diabetic I cannot wait until what is 10pm at night to eat a proper meal.

I already have very good accommodation, so would not need to upgrade a hotel room, we already go to V & A's for a meal (again, more luggage requirements for that) extending the holiday is not an option and massages are part of the Upper Class experiance anyway.

Again, WDW is not the B all and end all of our vacations, just part of it, the same way as the flight is part of our vacation. Our holiday starts tyhe night before at the Hilton or Sofitel and ends when I pick the car up from the Valet parking back at the airport. Each part of it including the flight is integral to a good time, not a ways and means to an end.

You might not be able to justify the cost, however many of us do, hence the full PE/UC/CW cabins on the flights to the USA.

tinks_1989
11-15-2009, 10:55 AM

I agree that not a great hotel is needed if you are just there to sleep but you are still there more then what you would be on a aeroplane I just cant justify spending so much money on a flight that doesnt get you there any quicker I I don't stand up once on the flight I spend my whole life standing sitting is nice
I am only 5ft so I don't need leg room
I dont go to the toilet even on a nine hour flight I dont know why must be nerves or some thing but sharing a toilet less people also no point
I hate any aeroplane food can't even stand the smell once went with Virgin Upper class didn't find the food any better I would rather take a bag of crisps with me and have a decent breakfast before the flight

That's probably why I don't see the point in the extra money when it could be money towards disney dollars :D

I just checked our total holiday for 2 weeks (flights parking hotel disney tickets ddp) 2700

upgrade to business class with our flight 2,684

an extra 16 we could go for four weeks instead of two there is no way I can see how any one in their right mind could pay that

Neoshoegal
11-15-2009, 11:42 AM
an extra 16 we could go for four weeks instead of two there is no way I can see how any one in their right mind could pay that

To each their own. People have declared us insane for going back to WDW over and over again. Others can't even figure out why you'd even want to holiday in WDW as it's (according to them) the tackiest of all places on earth.
People can still be in their right mind and spend a lot of money on things others just don't get. :)

Kath2003
11-15-2009, 11:55 AM
Kath,
It all depends on how you are built, if you have long legs compared to your torso size etc.

Travelling back up to the midlands I would NOT even contemplate it without sleep. it is dangerous. lack of sleep is a motorway killer.

The luggage allowance on both BA and Virgin Economy is now 1 x 23KG case per person, not a lot if you shop whilst in Florida.

Again, we are all different and as a diabetic I cannot wait until what is 10pm at night to eat a proper meal.

I already have very good accommodation, so would not need to upgrade a hotel room, we already go to V & A's for a meal (again, more luggage requirements for that) extending the holiday is not an option and massages are part of the Upper Class experiance anyway.

Again, WDW is not the B all and end all of our vacations, just part of it, the same way as the flight is part of our vacation. Our holiday starts tyhe night before at the Hilton or Sofitel and ends when I pick the car up from the Valet parking back at the airport. Each part of it including the flight is integral to a good time, not a ways and means to an end.

You might not be able to justify the cost, however many of us do, hence the full PE/UC/CW cabins on the flights to the USA.

I agree we are all different but personally we cannot justify the cost. I regularly fly with a diabetic and we manage this easily with appropriate snacks or eating in the airport if necessary. I personally can't imagine taking that volume of luggage but I guess you may see it as necessary (we shop out there so we take very little but even what we bring back doesn't weigh anywhere near 23kg). We get a lift to the airport or book a driver to take us so no worries about driving anywhere at either end. Our holiday starts when we arrive in the sunshine and the savings allow us to make the most of our time there, rather than making the travel slightly more enjoyable. That kind of money could pay for a lot of things we really need, or really want, rather than being used up on 10 hours of flight with the same outcome.

I get why people LIKE the upgraded areas of the aircraft. I liked flying in them. That said, I've never PAID to fly in them nor would I because I simply don't feel that what you get justifies the cost. Either way, economy certainly isn't unpleasant and you get to Orlando just as quick ;)

We save even more by flying indirect now. For the sake of another 3 hours travelling time each way, we save 300 each. For us, 50 an hour is worth it, and we've found the service on American Airlines to be equal to or better than BA/VA (and the food significantly better).

wishspirit
11-15-2009, 11:56 AM
I have never paid to go anything more than economy (except the times we got upgraded, and when we went on Max jet (RIP)). I did enjoy the extra space, the lack of backpain at the end etc (especially as a lot of my height is in my legs), but I would rather fly economy than not fly at all.

I think the key thing is your seat, where on the plane you have it, and the luck of the draw with people around you.

If you have the seats at the very back, or too near the middle, the people in the queue to use the toilet will hold onto your seats and wobble and shake them. Not good. We try and go near the back (but not on the back row) and go for the middle so my mom can be next to an aisle so she can stand up without disturbing people.

Have a great flight, and a magical holiday! :wizard:

martinrmn
11-15-2009, 12:14 PM
We have only ever flown economy and to be honest have no complaints. I am not trying to compare myself to others, some can afford the extra money others can't. I am the latter. It would be nice to have more room but to be honest I am happy to get there in one piece and enjoy myself. I have read other comments with interest and can only say I must be easily pleased!! We travel light and tend to spend any extra money on clothes, gifts, food etc. to somewhere we love.We are all individuals and all have different tastes and budgets. One thing I think is safe to say is we all enjoy our holidays whether it is in Florida or elsewhere. My wife and I are both nurses and like the majority of people work hard. We are just glad we are able to afford a holiday. Enjoy yours. Roll on December 3rd.:dance3::dance3:

heatherbelle
11-15-2009, 01:09 PM
We've never been in PE or UC, always in Econ.

As hubby says, we all get there at the same time. I would love to try out UC, just to have a quilt so I can be nice and warm and snug on the way home.

But we just can't afford it. The money spent on three upgrades to PE in school hols would pay for us all to go to spain for a week. I'd rather have another holiday.

8 hours to Orlando in Econ is nothing, you want to try doing 11 to LA:eek::eek: Never again, I said, but alreay thinking of going back there too.

From looking at your selection of hotel, why don't you consider staying somewhere else and using the money you stay for PE, if you don't like the sound of Econ.

barnaby1
11-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Good grief. It's economy, not the deep dark depths of hell. :thumbsup2

Oh - it is actually!!!!!!

But I agree that if it is a choice between staying at home or going then it is only 6 hours. Take a deep breath and try to ignore the thousands of other people sitting with you and you will be fine!

Have a nice trip.

tubtruck
11-15-2009, 05:54 PM
Really enjoyed flying business class in August when we were lucky enough to land a cracking deal on an Airfrance - Delta codeshare and was so impressed that we are flying with Air Canada in their executive first cabin in July next year.
It was our first trip in business class and we really enjoyed it. It was one of the highlights of the holiday and were pretty much pampered from arriving at the airport. We decided that it was worth paying a quite considerable amount more to travel this way next year and hopefully will continue to travel up the front for many years to come.

ukstitch
11-15-2009, 08:00 PM
I flew regular economy with virgin back in May (one flight Heathrow - New York and then Las Vegas - Gatwick).

To be honest - it's ok. I'm 6 foot 2, so I "notice" the leg room (I've never anything other than economy but I'm occasionally lucky enough to get an emergency seat or extra leg room). In a normal leg room economy seat, I'm ok while the seat in front of me is upright, but I do start to struggle if (when) it's reclined.

If they offer the extra leg room economy seats (half way between normal economy and PE legroom) on your flight then these are well worth the upgrade cost which isn't very much (if you need the leg room - if not then it's the same service so not worth it).

The entertainment system was reasonable and the food was also "ok".

I have to admit that I prefer BA - mainly because I was disappointed with virgin's drink policy on the outbound (day time) flight of "there's a drinks fountain in the middle of the plain if you need a drink" compared to BA who regularly walked up and down the plane offering drinks.

However - as a few people have mentioned already, at the end of the day you get on at the same place, get off at the same place and do not get there any quicker or at better times by flying PE.

2Tiggies
11-16-2009, 05:16 AM
OP, why don't you check in early and buy extra legroom seats? They are really cheap, but you can only purchase them at check-in. You will still have economy seats, but the extra legroom is similar to PE, just without the footrest.

disney_princess_85
11-16-2009, 10:03 AM
Wow, I can't believe some of the negative comments!

I can understand that it would be a bit rubbish to downgrade to economy after previously flying PE or UC but it's not the end of the world. It seems a little preposterous that such a big deal is made about how "bad" it is, given the situation that many people are in at the moment, i.e. struggling to pay their mortgage, never mind worrying about the "hell" that is an economy flight. :sad2: I appreciate that everything is relative but I just wanted to point out that some people have come across as very spoilt. As others have said, would you rather fly economy and get to go to Florida, or would you rather do without? The latter option seems ridiculous. Personally speaking, I have been to Disneyland Paris four times this year and to Florida once- I feel very thankful for that.

Back to the OP's original question: we paid for exit-row seats (50 each on the outward flight and $50 each on the return flight). We had loads of room and the flights were generally very pleasant. The food wasn't bad and we had unlimited drinks (soft or alcoholic). The TVs were a little ropey (too small and a bit fuzzy) but they served their purpose.

Sweet Pea UK
11-16-2009, 11:14 AM
Hey Sweet Pea

We leave Manchester on August 1st for two weeks!!! The GF is wonderful - we went for three weeks in 2008 and loved it, so can't wait to go back!!!!! When are you going?

We don't arrive at the GF until 26th August - we are staying at the Portofino Bay for 4 nights first so that we can take advantage of the Front of Line Pass. Just can't wait now!!!

tinks_1989
11-16-2009, 12:59 PM

I can understand that it would be a bit rubbish to downgrade to economy after previously flying PE or UC but it's not the end of the world. It seems a little preposterous that such a big deal is made about how "bad" it is, given the situation that many people are in at the moment, i.e. struggling to pay their mortgage, never mind worrying about the "hell" that is an economy flight. :sad2: I appreciate that everything is relative but I just wanted to point out that some people have come across as very spoilt. As others have said, would you rather fly economy and get to go to Florida, or would you rather do without? The latter option seems ridiculous. Personally speaking, I have been to Disneyland Paris four times this year and to Florida once- I feel very thankful for that.

Back to the OP's original question: we paid for exit-row seats (50 each on the outward flight and $50 each on the return flight). We had loads of room and the flights were generally very pleasant. The food wasn't bad and we had unlimited drinks (soft or alcoholic). The TVs were a little ropey (too small and a bit fuzzy) but they served their purpose.

Couldnt agree more

mickeyforpresident
11-16-2009, 02:16 PM
OP, why don't you check in early and buy extra legroom seats? They are really cheap, but you can only purchase them at check-in. You will still have economy seats, but the extra legroom is similar to PE, just without the footrest.

Hi - thanks for all the replies.

Can you tell me which rows the extra leg room applies to?

mickeyforpresident
11-16-2009, 02:21 PM

I appreciate that everything is relative but I just wanted to point out that some people have come across as very spoilt. .

It really wasn't my intention to do this. Believe me, I do know how lucky I am that I am able to take my chn to WDW. Honest - I just wanted a balanced picture of the economy experience.

Sorry if ive offended anyone.

wideeyes
11-16-2009, 02:21 PM
I may have the OP muddled but didn't you go with a charter airline before?:confused3

Anyway I wouldn't worry about the flight it will be worth it once you get to the GF. I'm staying at the AKV and I am willing to put up with the flight for that.:goodvibes

Obi Wan Kenobi
11-16-2009, 02:27 PM
It really wasn't my intention to do this. Believe me, I do know how lucky I am that I am able to take my chn to WDW. Honest - I just wanted a balanced picture of the economy experience.

You've not offended anyone at all MFP :-)

As I said before, we are all different, though there is a trend in this country that only the lowest common denominator is acceptable and to better yourself is wrong, we (at the moment) still have the choice on how we spend our money and what we do with it.
Some seem to think that all there is in the USA is WDW, that there is no other reason to go to Florida even! well, its time some people spread their wings, tried the rest of the state for a kick off, tried other ways to fly, etc etc.

disney_princess_85
11-16-2009, 03:05 PM

You haven't offended anyone. My comments weren't directed at you- after all, you were just asking what economy flights are like, compared to the higher class flights you have previously taken. That's fair enough. It's understandable that you would like to know what to expect. I personally took issue with people inferring that flying economy is like flying through the fires of hell, when it's simply not. Whatever your choice is, I'm sure you'll have a great time. :)

mickeyforpresident
11-16-2009, 03:44 PM
I may have the OP muddled but didn't you go with a charter airline before?:confused3

Yeah!! When we last went to WDW we went with Thomas Cook (but upgraded!!) My signature only includes Disney holidays!!

Obi Wan Kenobi
11-16-2009, 04:25 PM
I personally took issue with people inferring that flying economy is like flying through the fires of hell, when it's simply not. Whatever your choice is, I'm sure you'll have a great time. :)

In your opinion.
That does not make it fact any more than my opinion that it is like the fires of Hell.

Frances999
11-16-2009, 04:58 PM
You haven't offended anyone. My comments weren't directed at you- after all, you were just asking what economy flights are like, compared to the higher class flights you have previously taken. That's fair enough. It's understandable that you would like to know what to expect. I personally took issue with people inferring that flying economy is like flying through the fires of hell, when it's simply not. Whatever your choice is, I'm sure you'll have a great time. :)
That's just your opinion, though. As is the people who say "at least you're still going". I'm not criticising, but you can't expect everyone to feel the same. The thought of being cooped up in economy for 9 hours is enough to make me rather stay at home. The flight is part of the holiday and should be enjoyable, in my opinion. Being claustrophobic and hating flying enough as it is, anyway, makes it a "no brainer" for me. I appreciate your viewpoint and you should appreciate others who have a different one.

Paul (tigger fan)
11-16-2009, 05:48 PM
You've not offended anyone at all MFP :-)

As I said before, we are all different, though there is a trend in this country that only the lowest common denominator is acceptable and to better yourself is wrong, we (at the moment) still have the choice on how we spend our money and what we do with it.
Some seem to think that all there is in the USA is WDW, that there is no other reason to go to Florida even! well, its time some people spread their wings, tried the rest of the state for a kick off, tried other ways to fly, etc etc.

Hi,

Are you not being a hypocrite here, telling everyone else that you have a choice, stating we are all different and it our choice how we spend our money, then in the next breath telling them how to holiday as if you know better:laughing:.

Paul

disney_princess_85
11-16-2009, 06:10 PM
In your opinion.
That does not make it fact any more than my opinion that it is like the fires of Hell.

Yes, in my opinion. :)

That's just your opinion, though. As is the people who say "at least you're still going". I'm not criticising, but you can't expect everyone to feel the same. The thought of being cooped up in economy for 9 hours is enough to make me rather stay at home. The flight is part of the holiday and should be enjoyable, in my opinion. Being claustrophobic and hating flying enough as it is, anyway, makes it a "no brainer" for me. I appreciate your viewpoint and you should appreciate others who have a different one.

Excuse me? I didn't say that I don't appreciate different viewpoints, nor did I imply it. If you are claustrophobic then yes, I can see why you would like more room. If you hate flying then yes, I can see why you would want to make yourself as comfortable as possible. However, I wasn't referencing people with phobias, as that's a different matter altogether.

OP, based on everyone's thoughts here, are you any further on in making your decision?

tubtruck
11-16-2009, 07:00 PM
I used to think that Business class was an overpriced rip off and not worth paying a lot more money for until I experienced it. At this point I changed my mind, so did my DW. I wonder how many who have replied with negativity to business class have actually experienced it?
I found it actually made the holiday two days longer as it was an event rather than a necessary evil that I have always found sitting at the back even with extra leg room though I am only 5' 4" tall to be.

Emimy
11-17-2009, 04:37 AM
I personally took issue with people inferring that flying economy is like flying through the fires of hell, when it's simply not. Whatever your choice is, I'm sure you'll have a great time. :)

I totally agree. Yes everyone has an opinion, but comparing economy class to Hell is completely over the top!

I would also like to say that I have two extremely painful and serious spinal problems, and even with this I have always managed to suffer the evils of economy class and lived to tell the tale :rolleyes:

igk
11-17-2009, 05:12 AM
I used to travel in business class a lot (on business mainly, but sometimes OOP before we had kids), but we try to take a few holidays each year and budget accordingly. For the cost of one trip in UC/business I can do several economy ones and personally I'd rather do that, but as others have said it's down to personal choice. (I've been on 4 trips on Easyjet this year :scared1:) I also think it's good for the kids to travel economy - I wouldn't want them to end up taking luxury travel for granted - they're spoilt enought as it is :lmao:

zippy99
11-17-2009, 06:37 AM
It's a shame that this thread has got a bit 'too personal'

The simple question was - What is Economy like?

Of course, given the choice we would all fly upper class if money was not an object!

Everyone has opinions, however,there are two main opinions here:

Opinion 1 of Economy users - "you are a fool to spend all that extra money on PE or UC" -
This can be brushed off with 'It's my money I'll spend it on what I like" - that is fair enough. (people told me I was mad when I did DLRP First Class Eurostar & Castle Club at DH)

Opinion 2 of PE & UC fans "Economy is awful , cramped, bad food, like hell"
I can see why these opinions are offensive, they make people who use Economy (and cannot afford PE or UC) feel like second class citizens. It is not very sensitive or friendly.

Perhaps people have not meant to cause offence, however, we are all about having a fantastic time in Disney - whether your budget is 2000 or 8000. People should try to be considerate - one persons 'cheap disney fix' is anothers dream holiday.

Bit of love and hugs all round

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

disney_princess_85
11-17-2009, 06:58 AM
It's a shame that this thread has got a bit 'too personal'

The simple question was - What is Economy like?

Indeed, I agree.

Of course, given the choice we would all fly upper class if money was not an object!

I'm not sure if that's necessarily true. Not for me personally, anyway. It's not always down to what you can afford, but what you think something is worth. For example, I like expensive make-up and wouldn't think twice about spending 12 on an eye shadow. However, some people will think I'm mad to spend this amount. I don't look down on people who choose to spend 2 on their eye shadow, as sometimes the cheaper option can be just as good as the more expensive one anyway.

People should try to be considerate - one persons 'cheap disney fix' is anothers dream holiday.

That's exactly what I was getting at. :thumbsup2

dc1964
11-17-2009, 07:31 AM
is this not all getting a bit pointless and silly, nothing new is being said. might it not be a good time for a moderator to close this thread. We all know that UC and PE is more comfortable than economy, what more is there to say.

wayneg
11-17-2009, 07:36 AM
I agree, its going nowhere.