PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Atlantic food?

tony64
11-14-2009, 05:31 AM
I read some pretty bad reports lately, I was wondering just how bad the food is in economy now?

Do you still get the ice cream or have they stopped doing that as well?

buzz for boys
11-14-2009, 05:50 AM
We didnt get ice cream in March !!!
The food was edible though the main was just alright bu the choc pud was to die for !!! the kids meals were really quite good too !!!

gemmybear83
11-14-2009, 06:00 AM
Same the food is edible (just!), but the GU choc puddings were yummy! We had a choc ice on the way out but not on the way back.

There is a starbucks and sandwich deli place at the gate at MCO so I just took my own sandwich and ate the pudding!

They only came round with drinks a couple of times during the flight, but it was easy enough ask for more when you wanted them.

tony64
11-14-2009, 06:05 AM
Thanks
Glad they are still doing the GU :goodvibes

DCLMan
11-14-2009, 08:51 AM
The veggie option wasn't to bad but the food flying home from Orlando was terrible. I had beef stew and it was tough and fatty. We were in row 46 and by the time the trolley got to us there was no choice. The breakfast snack was a cheese and egg bagel or a cheese, ham and egg muffin. They were inedible.

The food flying to Orlando was slightly better but not much.

The only good thing was the large measures of vodka that they pour but they insist on using Virgin Cola which isn't very good.

My advice would be to eat at Gatwick before you fly. The Wetherspoons do a good breakfast and you can have a glass or two of wine with it!

We didn't get any pretzels with our first drink like you used to.

Dimplenose
11-14-2009, 10:20 AM
I'll second that the food coming home was inedible both dinner and breakfast. If you don't want cheese then you get no breakfast (I normally eat cheese but just wanted something plain after 7 hours in the air.)

Pooh's-Honey-Pot
11-14-2009, 12:16 PM
In May we still got the icecream. The food on the way out was just edible. On the way back we got cold sandwiches from Earl of Sandwich at DTD for dinner and ate them on the plane. For breakfast we took cereal bars on board - I dont know why but the return food is always disgusting with the breakfast - powdered egg in greasy croissant - being the worst of all!!

Actually - we have booked premium economy next year . . . does anyone know if the food offerings are any different in there?

Sapper383
11-14-2009, 05:48 PM
I agree, we went in September and the food was ok going out. The kids enjoyed theirs. The food comming home was not good....even the kids food wasn't nice. We couldn't eat it!!!

We didn't get ice cream

arielrocks
11-15-2009, 07:00 AM
we usually fly PE and the food is always gross IMO. we usually eat at the airport and take a sarnie from M&S with us for the flight. Leaving the states we buy subways to eat, that way we can sleep without being disturbed for the rank food!

Obi Wan Kenobi
11-15-2009, 07:05 AM
Never had a problem with the on board food. Always nice and a good choice.

nannyj
11-15-2009, 08:44 AM
We flew pe both ways last month and the food was aweful, the only change from economy was the crockery and cutlery!

DCLMan
11-15-2009, 11:04 AM
Never had a problem with the on board food. Always nice and a good choice.

I think you are in the minority!

Obi Wan Kenobi
11-15-2009, 11:48 AM
I think you are in the minority!

Only on this forum it seems, but I don't fly economy, or expect restaraunt food at 35,000 feet from a pre heated, pre cooked tray.

DCLMan
11-15-2009, 11:59 AM
Only on this forum it seems, but I don't fly economy, or expect restaraunt food at 35,000 feet from a pre heated, pre cooked tray.

I don't expect restaurant food either. Something edible would suffice though.

Dimplenose
11-15-2009, 12:05 PM
Here was meal going out this summer

http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/oo213/Libby1962/IMG_0186.jpg

I started it before I remembered to take a picture. It wasn't too bad, veg curry.

arielrocks
11-15-2009, 12:14 PM
what bothers me most about the plane food is when you can't identify what is on the try and its not labelled and there is no menu either!

If I can't name it I probabl don't want it :rotfl:

natalielongstaff
11-15-2009, 01:54 PM
I liked the breakfast muffin, the rest of it was grim though ( and im NOT a fussy eater as a rule )

JohnnySharp2
11-15-2009, 02:23 PM
We flew Premium Economy in April, and I found the food 'okay', also I am a very plain eater and extremely fussy.
We don't set high expectations, and have never flown with anyone else so cannot really be over critical.
I don't expect gourmet dining either but from what I can remember this year I had no real complaints, although I seem to remember a tub of ice cream that hadn't thawed out after 2 hours.

Our son never eats much on board so we take sandwiches & crisps for him.

Goofyish
11-16-2009, 08:07 AM
Here's an interesting site to see photos of airline meals with reviews:

http://www.airlinemeals.net/index.html

I always think that they try to make the meals too fancy, especially as I'm a fussy eater :)

tony64
11-16-2009, 08:26 AM
Thanks Tim
I think we will be investing in something a little more edible at the airports to take on with us.

Laurafoster
11-16-2009, 02:47 PM
Food was fine both ways when i flew in May. Not fantastic, but hot and edible which is pretty much all i expect nowdays.

I just miss the pretzels and cheese and crackers :)

mikki.young
11-16-2009, 05:42 PM
Don't think there is much difference in food between Econ and PE but there is a big difference in UC. Having said that it is usually edible and forgettable on the way out and pot luck on the way back. Sometimes OK sometimes not. We have often snacked at outback at the airport before flying so don't mind too much. very rare I fancy breakfast but last couple of times they had the yoghurt drinks and they were nice enough.

UKMark
11-18-2009, 08:54 AM
We flew back on Saturday and the food was appalling :sad2: and neither of us ate anything. Last year it was ok but the year before it was great. I'm already dreading next year ;):rotfl:

tony64
11-19-2009, 05:54 AM
We flew back on Saturday and the food was appalling :sad2: and neither of us ate anything. Last year it was ok but the year before it was great. I'm already dreading next year ;):rotfl:

Best buy a sardie before you fly then. :)

Twilight Terror
11-19-2009, 10:39 AM
Food was okay in September in PE. The food out way much better than the return journey food. We had chicken, mash and runner beans on the way out, and I can't remember what it was on the way back, although I did eat it, which is something!

Personally I don't like the GU puddings. I normally get stuck with the chocolate and raspberry (I assume that's the only flavour) and while the chocolate pudding bit is okay, the raspberry bit is pure syrup and far to yucky for my liking. We still got ice cream on the way out though :D Yummy!

The breakfast on the way back was atrocious. Even in PE, the choice was just Cheese and Egg muffin or Cheese and Ham muffin. I can't eat cheese, so I went hungry for breakfast - not so good when we then ended up having to wait a further hour at baggage claim due to a technical fault. My sugar levels can drop without regular food (although not diabetics) so i was almost on the floor by the time we got to somewhere that served food!

I was watching some show on TV back along about these guys opening a quick stop food service, where they served airline food because it tastes so much better on land than in the air. Apparently, the altitude when flying effects the taste buds, which is why airline food always seems more gourmet, because they have to make up for the lack of taste!

shaun&miranda
11-19-2009, 01:41 PM
We got fed up with Virgin's food and cutbacks on amenities so defected to BA last year, and are now back with Virgin this year because BA's food was even worse!

Not sure I buy the argument about taste buds in the air - my pringles and minstrels still taste yummy when I eat them onboard! :rotfl:

Miranda :goodvibes

shaun&miranda
11-19-2009, 01:44 PM
Should also say that for the way back, we now eat at the Outback steakhouse as you come off the tram at the departure gates at MCO.

They will ask you what time you are departing and seat you in a part of the restaurant to ensure you get served and out before your flight boarding time. The food is quite cheaply priced ($15 or so) for a steak meal and I seem to remember also getting bread and salad in that price.

Then we get on the plane and go to sleep with full tummies!

Miranda

15isto2
11-19-2009, 03:58 PM
Flew UC in Sept, food on way out was superb but on return was poor to say the best, even the milk for my cornflakes was hot!

Netty
11-19-2009, 05:15 PM
Actually - we have booked premium economy next year . . . does anyone know if the food offerings are any different in there?

you get a menu to choose from, real cutlery as well..
foods still as bad though!

wifey
11-21-2009, 08:31 AM
Both on our flight outbound and the return flights in September had inedible food, even the kids choices were just awful. All I can say is make sure you have a really good breakfast and take your own lunch in snacks and sandwiches and get something once you land it will still be a better option than the garbage they hand out on the plane and probably better for you too. You can pick up sodas/juices and water once you've cleared the security checks.

Thank goodness we had a great big hot cooked breakfast included in our stay at Bewleys (fantastic food freshly cooked that morning and a relaxed restaurant with wonderful staff) followed by a hot meal at the food court at the hotel once we got checked in. On our return we used the Burger King outlet at the airport before we flew home and we ate a good meal there followed by hot sausage rolls and sandwiches and big cups of sweet tea at the railway station on the way home.
We enjoyed the food from the First Choice flights so much more on our 2005 trip I'm tempted to use them next time even if it means that we don't get to use MCO it's just less stressful for my family.

Obi Wan Kenobi
11-21-2009, 08:33 AM
Flew UC in Sept, food on way out was superb but on return was poor to say the best, even the milk for my cornflakes was hot!

thats the way it should be, hot cornflakes, yummy!

Obi Wan Kenobi
11-21-2009, 08:50 AM
Both on our flight outbound and the return flights in September had inedible food, even the kids choices were just awful. All I can say is make sure you have a really good breakfast and take your own lunch in snacks and sandwiches and get something once you land it will still be a better option than the garbage they hand out on the plane and probably better for you too. You can pick up sodas/juices and water once you've cleared the security checks.

Thank goodness we had a great big hot cooked breakfast included in our stay at Bewleys (fantastic food freshly cooked that morning and a relaxed restaurant with wonderful staff) followed by a hot meal at the food court at the hotel once we got checked in. On our return we used the Burger King outlet at the airport before we flew home and we ate a good meal there followed by hot sausage rolls and sandwiches and big cups of sweet tea at the railway station on the way home.
We enjoyed the food from the First Choice flights so much more on our 2005 trip I'm tempted to use them next time even if it means that we don't get to use MCO it's just less stressful for my family.

Wifey,
you cannot ever compare food cooked (that is the main word here) in a kitchen on ground with pre cooked food in a pressurised tube 30,000 feet above the ground, feeding 300+ people in the matter of half an hour.
Could you think of a) the size of gally required to freshly cook food for that many people?
b) the inherant fire/explosion risks of cooking fresh food at 30,000 feet?

No airline food is going to be what you eat at a hotel, again, the food I have had is fine, no problems whatsoever.

An airlibe does what it has toi doi and that is get you to your destinantion in one piece and safely, food, IFE, seat pitch etc etc are all extras above and beyond that.

DCLMan
11-21-2009, 12:04 PM
No airline food is going to be what you eat at a hotel, again, the food I have had is fine, no problems whatsoever.

An airlibe does what it has toi doi and that is get you to your destinantion in one piece and safely, food, IFE, seat pitch etc etc are all extras above and beyond that.

Obi Wan Kenobi

went economy about 20 years ago, was a horrendous trip. Vowed bever again and thats been my line since then.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2331140&page=2

If you haven't flown economy for 20 years I don't think you really can comment on the food in Virgin Economy.

Obi Wan Kenobi
11-21-2009, 12:20 PM
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2331140&page=2

If you haven't flown economy for 20 years I don't think you really can comment on the food in Virgin Economy.

I havent put my fingers in a plug socket. Does that mean i cannot have a view on electric shocks?

I havent eaten economy food, so I cannot have a view? ridiculous statement.

DCLMan
11-21-2009, 03:50 PM
I havent put my fingers in a plug socket. Does that mean i cannot have a view on electric shocks?

I havent eaten economy food, so I cannot have a view? ridiculous statement.

Well I have put my fingers in plug sockets and recently eaten Virgin food and both are an unpleasant experience.

Obi Wan Kenobi
11-22-2009, 07:31 AM
Well I have put my fingers in plug sockets and recently eaten Virgin food and both are an unpleasant experience.

I think that says more than I could ever comment upon.......

rabit
11-22-2009, 08:48 AM
if the food is so bad why fly Virgin ,vote with your feet . if you had to fly on the cattle transports from Belfast when a charter costs more than a scheduled flight from the mainland you would get your eyes opened

Obi Wan Kenobi
11-22-2009, 09:01 AM
Try looking at it another way.
if you use public transport to and from work, what do you pay?
If you use your car, what does it cost you?

A flight from gatwick to Orlando and back again is 8,672 miles.
If you pay say, 390 per ticket, thats 0.045 PENCE per mile, and that includes all the Government taxes which make up at least half of that sum these days.

yet for 4 pence per mile, much cheaper than your bus, train or car journey, people expect on top of the seat, an up to the minute In flight entertainment system and fantastic food.

Don't want much from 4.5 pence per mile do we? :rolleyes1:rolleyes1

dc1964
11-23-2009, 05:43 AM
got to agree with OBI really, i think people expectations exceed reality, i have said before that i dont care how i get to florida as long as it is safe, food is well down on the list as is IFE. You get what you pay for.
I know people get excited about the journey but surely it is really more about the arrival and the 2 weeks in the greatest holiday destination in the world.

Grumpy John
11-23-2009, 11:43 AM
Virgin economy is no different to anyone elses. Even BA are taking a bit of a hammering with regards to their economy food but for some reason it is only ever Virgin moans that appear on these and other boards

Maybe that is why BA are so deep in the do do - no one is flying with them :rotfl2:

tttessa
11-24-2009, 09:33 AM
I am also one of a dwindling minority then - since I like airline food.... Last trip: Virgin economy way over - chicken/rice/veg was lovely - and all the extra little bits were great too... kids got pasta with tomatoey sauce, and tons of "bits" - yoghurt/snacks - kept them going for ever!

Virgin economy on way back -can't remember evening meal, but I ate it , breakfast - muffin with goo and bacon in it - (couldn't really call it cheese, but WTH....) tasty and they found some fruit and yoghurt for the kids too.

It is just fuel after all, not a gourmet experience.

We always take food and water with us in case of delays, or someone not liking the food, common sense really, but have not had to use it yet. My hubby just said that if the plane goes down we can feed and hydrate our whole liferaft full!! :rolleyes1 I'm not THAT bad - honest!!

Tessa

jockey
11-24-2009, 10:50 AM
if the food is so bad why fly Virgin ,vote with your feet . if you had to fly on the cattle transports from Belfast when a charter costs more than a scheduled flight from the mainland you would get your eyes opened

Are the charters really that bad?