PDA

View Full Version : needing carry on packing tips for the females

Nancy for Disney
11-13-2009, 08:49 AM
We will be flying one of those airlines that charge for checked luggage so DH and I are going to try to do our 5 night trip with just carry on luggage. I am not sure I am going to be able to manage. I use liquid base make up that comes in a tube like container. I also use facial cleanser that is also in a tube like container. I have my own hair gel. DH has is own hair gel. No we can't share. :sad2: I was hoping to bring my own shampoo and conditioner but I guess I can sacrifice that. :sad1::sad1: DH uses a lot of lotion (this we can share). We are staying at POP. Does anyone know if lotion is included in the toiletries they provide? Even with that DH would use one of those little bottles a day. What about curling irons? I also require one of those.
These are the things that I think we would need between the two of us.

Make up base
facial cleanser
my hair gel
DH hair gel
DH shaving cream
deodorant (we both use a solid, does that count for anything?)
lip balm (I normally use the kind that comes in a carmex type tube)
lotion (?)
toothpaste

Also, I just read a post that used the term 3-1-1. What does this mean?

I also assume I can bring all the eye liner, eye shadow, blush and lip stick that I want.

Yes, these are all my questions after I have read the rules for carry on baggage at my airline's web site.

Thanks for your help.

Green Tea
11-13-2009, 09:06 AM
Anything liquid has to fit in a 1 quart zip top baggie and can be no more than 3 ish ounces to start (no almost empty full size shampoo bottles, nearly empty toothpastes etc) One baggie per person. Lip stick doesn't need to go in. Hair gel does. Shampoo in the zip bag, toothpaste in the baggie, contact lens sol in the baggie. Have the baggie out of carry on and ready to screen at the security line.

You can buy little travel size empty plastic bottles at CVS and put whatever you want in them

Tozzie
11-13-2009, 09:08 AM
We will be flying one of those airlines that charge for checked luggage so DH and I are going to try to do our 5 night trip with just carry on luggage. I am not sure I am going to be able to manage. I use liquid base make up that comes in a tube like container. I also use facial cleanser that is also in a tube like container. I have my own hair gel. DH has is own hair gel. No we can't share. :sad2: I was hoping to bring my own shampoo and conditioner but I guess I can sacrifice that. :sad1::sad1: DH uses a lot of lotion (this we can share). We are staying at POP. Does anyone know if lotion is included in the toiletries they provide? Even with that DH would use one of those little bottles a day. What about curling irons? I also require one of those.

Make up base
facial cleanser
my hair gel
DH hair gel
DH shaving cream
lotion (?)
toothpaste

I also assume I can bring all the eye liner, eye shadow, blush and lip stick that I want.

Yes, these are all my questions after I have read the rules for carry on baggage at my airline's web site.

Thanks for your help.

Any liquids/gells must be 3.4 oz or less (even if you have half a tube if it is over 3.4 oz it isn't allowed, there are reports of various airport TSA agents allowing bottles/tubes over 3.4 ounces if it isn't full but that isn't a gurantee that they will and they don't have to) and they must all fit inside a quart size bag and each passenger is allowed 1 quart size bag.

jlewisinsyr
11-13-2009, 09:11 AM
Anything liquid has to fit in a 1 quart zip top baggie and can be no more than 3 ish ounces to start (no almost empty full size shampoo bottles, nearly empty toothpastes etc) One baggie per person. Lip stick doesn't need to go in. Hair gel does. Shampoo in the zip bag, toothpaste in the baggie, contact lens sol in the baggie. Have the baggie out of carry on and ready to screen at the security line.

You can buy little travel size empty plastic bottles at CVS and put whatever you want in them

Correct. Also, lipstick doesn't need to go in the baggie, but a lip gloss would (solid versus liquid).

Contact solution you can get away with not in the baggie because it is considered medically required for contact lens users. You do need to tell them you have it, but it doesn't have to be in small container or packed in the bag.

DVC Grammy
11-13-2009, 09:13 AM
If "travel-sized" containers wouldn't hold enough for the 5-day trip of both of you, why not either ship a small box to the resort, or bite the bullet and check one piece of luggage holding those items? :confused3
Since you each can have a quart-sized baggie, maybe try a "test run" to see if you can cram enough liquid toiletries into them. Solid deodorant isn't a problem, nor are hair curlers, but anything categorized as liquid will be. :sad1:

antsss
11-13-2009, 09:22 AM
We're also wondering about how to manage this. My biggest problem is the kids toothpaste. They each use a different kind of toothpaste and I can't find travel sizes. Is it crazy to squeeze some into a snack size baggie. Is that even "legal"?

jlewisinsyr
11-13-2009, 09:27 AM
We're also wondering about how to manage this. My biggest problem is the kids toothpaste. They each use a different kind of toothpaste and I can't find travel sizes. Is it crazy to squeeze some into a snack size baggie. Is that even "legal"?

The baggie wouldn't be measurable, so no, it wouldn't work.

Green Tea
11-13-2009, 10:06 AM
One other idea (and not a good one in my opinion, but to each his own...) There is a suitcase of crap that circles the resorts via the budget board. In it you would find lotions, shampoos, toothpastes

Anyway, if you completely are opposed to checking a bag for products and you can't get to the store once there.....

The quart zip bag really holds more than you think it would. If you have a Lush store in your city, they sell bars of shampoo, even lotions. Beats the rule and it is great stuff.

Drusilla
11-13-2009, 10:07 AM

I am having the same issue and I decided it was easier to ship a box to my resort so it arrived the day before I did (so I know its there before we leave and don't have to worry about UPS losing it) containing the right kind of toothpaste, shampoo/cond., sunscreen, lotion, etc. I am shipping bottles/tubes that are not brand new (all in their own ziploc baggie in case of a spill) b/c I know I'm not going to be able to bring the stuff back with me and am going to have to toss it at the resort - mimimize my loss.

Green Tea
11-13-2009, 10:09 AM

I think it possibly could work. We can pour shampoo and other things into little plastic bottles from the drug store. Is a little plastic baggie any different? Not sure. You could surely put some into a plastic bottle or little pot with a screw top sold for just this type of thing. Then each kid can have their own zip bag.

clkelley
11-13-2009, 10:10 AM

Unless they have some kind of prescription toothpaste, let em use a different toothpaste for a week. (If it is prescription toothpase, then it is exempt, and can be brought on separately if declared)

crashbb
11-13-2009, 11:22 AM
I've never seen a 100mL. baggie. Even the little snack sized ones are larger than that. So, no, it wouldn't work.

Some people have run into issues with the squeeze bottles from the drug stores that don't have volume labeled on them.

goofy4tink
11-13-2009, 12:46 PM
Truly I would just suck it up and check one bag. I have a friend who just has to have her beauty aids, and my dh isn't far behind her. There is no way she could pack her stuff in her carryon. It may be worth it to just pay for that one checked bag...that way you don't have to worry.

DebbieB
11-13-2009, 12:47 PM
I think it possibly could work. We can pour shampoo and other things into little plastic bottles from the drug store. Is a little plastic baggie any different? Not sure. You could surely put some into a plastic bottle or little pot with a screw top sold for just this type of thing. Then each kid can have their own zip bag.

The container must have the oz or ml marked on it. No more than 3.4 oz or 100 ml.

librarygal
11-13-2009, 01:05 PM
Stick deodorant is not a liquid so you can pack that separately. I bring a lot more stuff than that and am able to fit everything into two bags because my DH brings almost nothing. Three ounces is pretty big. My foundation is only an ounce and a quarter.

antsss
11-13-2009, 01:16 PM

Thank you for the suggestion. I just ran out to Walmart and bought small screwtop pots called iGo Travel Jars. I'm going to put some toothpaste in these and, yes, I'll have each kid bring their own gallon size zip lock bag. I'm also going to divide up the sunscreen into the small squeeze bottles (the labels have the size listed on them) so we don't have to worry about bringing the big bottle.

crashbb
11-13-2009, 01:19 PM
Thank you for the suggestion. I just ran out to Walmart and bought small screwtop pots called iGo Travel Jars. I'm going to put some toothpaste in these and, yes, I'll have each kid bring their own gallon size zip lock bag. I'm also going to divide up the sunscreen into the small squeeze bottles (the labels have the size listed on them) so we don't have to worry about bringing the big bottle.

Each kid can only bring a QUART sized zip lock bag, not a GALLON.

Assuming you mean in carry-on.

Tara
11-13-2009, 01:30 PM

Check out minimus.biz for a very good selection of travel size products - they have lots of different toothpastes. They might not have what you're looking for, but they do have a much larger selection than the average drugstore or discount store.

Mouseaholic!!!
11-13-2009, 03:01 PM
I am having the same issue and I decided it was easier to ship a box to my resort so it arrived the day before I did (so I know its there before we leave and don't have to worry about UPS losing it) containing the right kind of toothpaste, shampoo/cond., sunscreen, lotion, etc. I am shipping bottles/tubes that are not brand new (all in their own ziploc baggie in case of a spill) b/c I know I'm not going to be able to bring the stuff back with me and am going to have to toss it at the resort - mimimize my loss.

I agree to pack a box. I am going to do that this weekend for our Disneyland trip in 15 days....and I am STILL checking luggage.

For this trip we do send decorations and gifts so the box is fairly full.

You hope you find it to be a great solution for you!!!

DonnaL
11-13-2009, 03:20 PM
Don't remember if you said what resort you're staying, but, keep in mind if you ship a box to any of the hotels onsite which are convention resorts (CS, Contemp, GF, BW, YC/BC) you will get charged a fee for accepting a package for you. So far, I've only had it happen at a convention resort so I don't think it's across the board at all resorts........yet, anyway. We always ship a box ahead since we stay at a DVC resort and have dry food items, some laundry stuff and a few toiletries. Both UPS and FedEx websites have a calculator to figure the cost for whatever weight package you have and also the time it will take to get there. My package usually weighs about 20 lbs or so and cost is usually about $15 to $17. If you're only sending toiletries it will probably be less than 20 lbs. So, decide if it would be more beneficial to ship a package or pay for a checked bag......you could always use the bag to bring home souvenirs!!!

RitaFaye94
11-14-2009, 08:54 PM
If you have extra (or would go ahead & buy new bottles) ship the box down via UPS a week before & have it held at the desk. I did this last year with Pull UPs, snacks, wipes, etc. Shipped it on Monday, it arrived on Thursday and we arrived on Sunday. Didn't have to check the extra bag and it was much cheaper.

bavaria
11-14-2009, 09:25 PM
Thank you for the suggestion. I just ran out to Walmart and bought small screwtop pots called iGo Travel Jars.

I suggest returning them. Several times I year I see those type of 'travel' bottles rejected at TSA because they do not have a product label with an official marking of contents. The manufacturers really made a profit after the liquid rules came into effect from those bottles, but quite often they don't pass approval.

Better to buy products in the travel section in marked, 'official' product bottles. If you don't like the brand, empty and refill with your own.

But be forewarned that many of us here report seeing those tossed at security.

bavaria
11-14-2009, 09:33 PM
It may be worth it to just pay for that one checked bag...that way you don't have to worry.

Agreed. It is worth that much time and money (not to mention the environmental cost) to run around looking for bottles of products? My time is worth more than that, and the cost of buying all those small products can quickly add up to more than the $15 or $25 that it costs some travellers to check one bag.

The same holds true for shipping a box, if it costs almost the same in shipping and retrieval charges.

Green Tea
11-15-2009, 08:32 AM
I suggest returning them. Several times I year I see those type of 'travel' bottles rejected at TSA because they do not have a product label with an official marking of contents. The manufacturers really made a profit after the liquid rules came into effect from those bottles, but quite often they don't pass approval.

Better to buy products in the travel section in marked, 'official' product bottles. If you don't like the brand, empty and refill with your own.

But be forewarned that many of us here report seeing those tossed at security.

I have never seen the little sized plastic bottles be a problem. If TSA cared what was in the bottles, they would be testing every single liquid that went thru the gate. if 3.2 ounces of whatever the bad chemicals were could create a hazard then we'd be flying with zero liquids. Im pretty confident if that were the case, then criminals would have figured out to buy a travel size head and shoulders bottle and replace it with something else. The bottle label means nothing. A 3.2 ounce bottle that says lotion may be lotion or may be shampoo you transfered. A 3.2 ounce clear bottle from Walgreens may have either as well. I have never seen an official TSA announcement that products must be in their original sealed containers. If there is one, please post it here because that impacts million of travelers a day.

Lyndarella
11-15-2009, 09:03 AM
I have never seen an issue with bottles that don't have product names, but I use travel size that have oz. markings on them. I fill them as I wish. Remember the size of the baggie must be about 7" x 8". Each person can have one, (you can fill them as you wish, and they hold lots of small items!)

I think each person is allowed 2 carry-on items each. When I flew from MCO in Oct. many people were carrying several items, and no one stopped them.

We (two adults) flew to WDW for a week, and did not check luggage. We packed mix and match outfits, and washed one load of laundry. We took lots of instant food with us too!

bavaria
11-15-2009, 09:36 AM
I have never seen the little sized plastic bottles be a problem. If TSA cared what was in the bottles, they would be testing every single liquid that went thru the gate. if 3.2 ounces of whatever the bad chemicals were could create a hazard then we'd be flying with zero liquids. Im pretty confident if that were the case, then criminals would have figured out to buy a travel size head and shoulders bottle and replace it with something else. The bottle label means nothing. A 3.2 ounce bottle that says lotion may be lotion or may be shampoo you transfered. A 3.2 ounce clear bottle from Walgreens may have either as well. I have never seen an official TSA announcement that products must be in their original sealed containers. If there is one, please post it here because that impacts million of travelers a day.

SEVERAL of us have seen issues with those unlabelled bottles, and reported it here in past. That includes those of us flying many times a week through various airports in America.

It is NOT 3.2 oz - the rule is 100ml, which equates to 3.4 oz in America.

Your personal opinion on the subject doesn't matter; what does matter is what TSA guidelines state, and what TSA does. While it may be a grey area, they have and do and will ask some travellers to discard those bottles.

I never said that the items had to be in 'orignal sealed containers' - I even suggested that one can transfer items. The issue is with the unlabelled travel bottles.

I frankly don't care what anyone here does, but there is so much misinformation on this site (and on this thread alone) that it really doesn't help anyone.

Green Tea
11-15-2009, 10:04 AM
This is the TSA official rule.

http://www.tsa.gov/311/311-carry-ons.shtm

I wouldn't be concerned about the kid's toothpastes in the little travel approved size pots. Have them brush and enjoy.

ironz
11-15-2009, 05:00 PM
I believe what Bavaria was getting at is that the new containers do not have the volume clearly marked on them, not a concern about a product name. The volume is what TSA is looking for.

And yes, 100 ml, which is about 3.4 oz.

crashbb
11-15-2009, 05:03 PM
I believe what Bavaria was getting at is that the new containers do not have the volume clearly marked on them, not a concern about a product name. The volume is what TSA is looking for.

And yes, 100 ml, which is about 3.4 oz.

And some TSA agents will get hairy since you cannot PROVE that the container fits the rules (and, yes, they cannot prove that it doesn't, but they don't have to).

I have seen people's things get thrown out because they weren't labeled (and I've had my containers checked for labels).

Alesia
11-15-2009, 07:26 PM

The products do not have to be in their original containers, but they do have to be in containers that have their volume clearly marked. If the volume is not clearly marked, TSA agents can throw them away. Not a risk I would want to take.

bavaria
11-15-2009, 08:21 PM
Google 'TSA unlabelled containers' (or 'unlabeled' for the American readers ;) )

There is a famous situation where a screener refused to allow shampoo to pass, along with hundreds of reports on flyertalk.com

This is the frustrating thing about using a message board for facts; some people try and post out of kindness but really don't have the right information, and their attempt to be helpful can mislead readers or cause even worse situations.

Some readers may not like the hard facts, but they are all that count when it comes to air travel. Encouraging someone to take something which has a somewhat liklihood of not making it past security isn't really very kind at all (and yes, I realise that every day many of those bottles DO pass, but why take the risk, especially if not taking any alternatives in a checked bag?)

DisneyCaliCouple
11-15-2009, 09:02 PM
Sorry if this is a stupid question to ask, but being that I have never flown before, the liquid rules confuse me. I clearly understand the 3-1-1 rule, but I do not know where to put this bag! I am going to have a checked bag and a carry on, so can I put the bag of liquid items in the checked bag? Or does it HAVE to go in the carry on? If I can put it in the checked bag, are the rules any different?

henry72
11-15-2009, 09:07 PM
Sorry if this is a stupid question to ask, but being that I have never flown before, the liquid rules confuse me. I clearly understand the 3-1-1 rule, but I do not know where to put this bag! I am going to have a checked bag and a carry on, so can I put the bag of liquid items in the checked bag? Or does it HAVE to go in the carry on? If I can put it in the checked bag, are the rules any different?

The 3-1-1 rule is for liquids that you want to CARRY ON. So if you want to take your shampoo and check it, you don't need to worry about what size bottle it is or put it in a special bag. But if you want it in your carry on luggage, then it will need to be in the quart size bag and you need to keep it in a place that is easy for you to take it out when you reach security.

crashbb
11-15-2009, 09:08 PM
You can put whatever liquids you want in your checked luggage*, the only time the 3-1-1 comes into play is if you want liquids in your carry-on.

Any (not medically exempted) liquid that is in your carry-on must be in the 3-1-1 bag. Any liquid in your checked luggage does not have to follow the 3.4oz rule.

*"whatever" is only referring to the 3-1-1 rule. There are, of course, restrictions on what you can put in your checked luggage. Plus, there's the issue of people who have had their items ruined by things that leaked out of other people's checked luggage.

DisneyCaliCouple
11-15-2009, 09:09 PM
Oh okay thanks! :thumbsup2

jlewisinsyr
11-15-2009, 09:17 PM
As mentioned above, regardless of what you pack in your checked luggage, if its liquid, be considerate of your fellow flying peers and make sure they products are sealed in a water tight bag, if not double bagged as well.

DisneyCaliCouple
11-15-2009, 09:41 PM
Of course! I would do that anyway, so it doesn't spill on anything - whether it's other peoples' luggage or my own. One can only hope every flyer is as considerate. :)

Like I said, I just wasn't sure if liquids were allowed in the checked bag. And thanks for those who cleared it up! :)

antsss
11-16-2009, 06:52 AM
I'm glad this point about the volume on the label has been brought up. The empty bottles I bought do have labels with the volume clearly marked. I will leave those labels on the bottles after filling. Normally I would have removed the original label. Thank you!!

BiancaBernard&Penny
11-16-2009, 08:02 AM

I did that last spring. I actually used a teeny baggie like spare buttons come in (2, I double bagged to be safe) It did go into my checked bag (with the scissors I used to snip a corner off the baggie to dispense like icing) If you are concerned about the baggie not having measurements on it, I imagine it could be placed inside a clear container that does have a measurement. Some type of jar?

bavaria
11-16-2009, 08:12 AM
May I ask what is so special about the toothpaste that it cannot be foregone for a week? Prescription toothpaste (yes, it does exist) counts as medical and does not need to go into the 3-1-1.

While I fully admit to stocking up on Dentagard, it is because Colgate does not sell it in other countries and because the price of toothpaste in America is about 4x as much as in Germany (or most other countries). Having said that, I currently have a small tube of some other Colgate product in my 3-1-1 bag, and I survive.

I am truly curious because I was not aware that toothpaste was such a personally specific product that it cannot be substituted for a week, and because people are suggesting such great lengths to bring it. (And growing up I do believe that we all had one choice per brand - ie Colgate, Crest, Aim, etc only made one flavour/product each, and we survived; in fact many of us still have all of our own teeth! :) )

ironz
11-16-2009, 10:13 AM
May I ask what is so special about the toothpaste that it cannot be foregone for a week? Prescription toothpaste (yes, it does exist) counts as medical and does not need to go into the 3-1-1.

While I fully admit to stocking up on Dentagard, it is because Colgate does not sell it in other countries and because the price of toothpaste in America is about 4x as much as in Germany (or most other countries). Having said that, I currently have a small tube of some other Colgate product in my 3-1-1 bag, and I survive.

I am truly curious because I was not aware that toothpaste was such a personally specific product that it cannot be substituted for a week, and because people are suggesting such great lengths to bring it. (And growing up I do believe that we all had one choice per brand - ie Colgate, Crest, Aim, etc only made one flavour/product each, and we survived; in fact many of us still have all of our own teeth! :) )

And frankly, I would almost rather go back to those days....I can hardly pick out toothpaste in the stores these days because there are TOO MANY combinations! Just plain old Crest would be fine with me.

Cherbear013
11-16-2009, 10:35 AM
I've found that the best packing tip is to edit. I used to overpack but can now use a carry-on for a 4 or 5 day vacation. I realized that I wouldn't even use most of my 'beauty' products on vacation. My liquids bag now only has a travel size toothpaste, foundation, concealer, face wash and shampoo. Since the vacations are usually in warm weather I forgo hairspray, gel, mousse, etc. My hair is going to go flat and straight anyways! Then I have more room for souveniers!

jlewisinsyr
11-16-2009, 11:59 AM
I've found that the best packing tip is to edit. I used to overpack but can now use a carry-on for a 4 or 5 day vacation. I realized that I wouldn't even use most of my 'beauty' products on vacation. My liquids bag now only has a travel size toothpaste, foundation, concealer, face wash and shampoo. Since the vacations are usually in warm weather I forgo hairspray, gel, mousse, etc. My hair is going to go flat and straight anyways! Then I have more room for souveniers!

I just packed 3 days worth of clothes in a small duffel bag that would fit easily under the seat (and even in the overhead compartments of a commuter turbo prop plane). In that small bag, I had an extra suit (I was wearing one too), workout clothes, play clothes, toiletries (3-1-1). I actually even had an extra days worth of clothes because of the small chance of a flight being cancelled because of where and when I was flying. I could have easily made it 5 days in the clothes. Most people definately overpack.

jamstew
11-16-2009, 12:13 PM
And frankly, I would almost rather go back to those days....I can hardly pick out toothpaste in the stores these days because there are TOO MANY combinations! Just plain old Crest would be fine with me.

I wish they still made tooth powder -- it would certainly make flying much easier. My favorite toothpaste as a kid was Pepsodent :goodvibes

Nancy for Disney
11-16-2009, 09:38 PM
Wow, what a discussion I started. I think this may be my longest thread ever!:rotfl:

I don't think I saw if anyone answered the question about POP. Do they have lotion as one of the toiletries they provide?

Also, I went to one of the websites suggested. I can't remember which right now, but it was the official one. They showed a photo of the 1 quart baggie filled with about ten items, all in small containers. So I can bring as many of those 3 oz containers that I can fit into a quart sized baggie?

Another thing I forgot, is that we are doing a fridge and coffee pot swap from the budget board so I will need to bring my own coffee. I was going to just bring one of those disposable containers. Can I do that?

Thanks so much for all the advice.

crashbb
11-16-2009, 09:47 PM
Wow, what a discussion I started. I think this may be my longest thread ever!:rotfl:

I don't think I saw if anyone answered the question about POP. Do they have lotion as one of the toiletries they provide?

Also, I went to one of the websites suggested. I can't remember which right now, but it was the official one. They showed a photo of the 1 quart baggie filled with about ten items, all in small containers. So I can bring as many of those 3 oz containers that I can fit into a quart sized baggie?

Another thing I forgot, is that we are doing a fridge and coffee pot swap from the budget board so I will need to bring my own coffee. I was going to just bring one of those disposable containers. Can I do that?

Thanks so much for all the advice.

I have no idea about lotion at POP, sorry.

Yes - you can fill your quart sized bag with 3.4oz (or smaller containers). As long as you can close the bag, you are good to go.

Coffee should not be a problem (it may initiate a second look, but it will be fine).

Alesia
11-16-2009, 10:04 PM

No, they don't. Sorry.

aubriee
11-17-2009, 12:40 AM
I wish they still made tooth powder -- it would certainly make flying much easier. My favorite toothpaste as a kid was Pepsodent :goodvibes

Amazon still sells several different brands.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006ON9NA/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0001TP8WK&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1ZA7PE42CZVQT64JR5SG

jamstew
11-17-2009, 12:50 AM
Amazon still sells several different brands.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006ON9NA/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0001TP8WK&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1ZA7PE42CZVQT64JR5SG

Thanks, V! That's great to know :thumbsup2 I had tried all the drug stores but never thought to look on line :confused3

Holidaymouse
11-17-2009, 01:27 AM
Dear Op,

We are flying to WDW next week. I sell AVON and have ordered samples of cleanser, moisturizer, lotion, and foundation to take with me.. I can use it and toss it .. plus..I don't have to worry about it fitting into the baggie- all the samples will...I have my favorite products worry free - plus no explosions of lotion or foundation due to pressure changes..eek

As for toothpaste - good luck...kiddos are goofy when they don't have what they're used to..

The baggie? I travel quite a bit and use a standard sandwich bag..seems to work

Best wishes to you and have fun on your trip

Green Tea
11-17-2009, 07:50 AM
I've fit about a zillion appropriate sized things in my zip bag before so as long as it zips, I think its fine. And yes, I have flown with coffee in my carry on always. No problem ever. You can buy the Maxwell house filter packs. No mess and no need to take filters too.

pooch
11-17-2009, 09:33 PM
I work @ Macys and always stop by the Cosmetics counter for sample sizes of my favorite products when DD & fly to WDW. I'm told the little fillable containers they have hold a dram (ok Bavaria, how much is that?) and that's more than enough foundation and moisturizer for me for a week and they take NO ROOM AT ALL in the 3-1-1 bag. As the old, biotchy office manager, the Cosmo queens are too afraid of me to say no. But, if you frequent a dept store cosmetics line or, if you're waaaay nicer than me, they're usually pretty accomodating about providing samples. These bottles aren't maked for volume but I haven't had a problem, maybe because they're so small?:confused3

crashbb
11-17-2009, 09:41 PM
I work @ Macys and always stop by the Cosmetics counter for sample sizes of my favorite products when DD & fly to WDW. I'm told the little fillable containers they have hold a dram (ok Bavaria, how much is that?) and that's more than enough foundation and moisturizer for me for a week and they take NO ROOM AT ALL in the 3-1-1 bag. As the old, biotchy office manager, the Cosmo queens are too afraid of me to say no. But, if you frequent a dept store cosmetics line or, if you're waaaay nicer than me, they're usually pretty accomodating about providing samples. These bottles aren't maked for volume but I haven't had a problem, maybe because they're so small?:confused3

1 fluid dram = 1 fluid ounce
16 drams = 1 ounce (weight measures)

Since they aren't marked (even though they are less than 1/3 of the allowable size) there is always the chance that you might run into a problem.

Generally, my bottles are not looked at closely enough to see that they have a size marked on them (assuming they are small), but sometimes they are (even when clearly 50mL or less).

bavaria
11-17-2009, 09:45 PM
Smartypants beat me to it with the measurements (I was thinking of alchohol actually and got distracted...)

But I agree about samples. I use l'Occitane (sorry, there I go being all braggy again about using European products on the European plane but darn it I AM European! ;) ) They give out several samples with each purchase, in flat 'envelopes', which are excellent for the 100-1-1 baggie. They also last quite long so I keep my bag stuffed with those.

The weekly freebie thread of old was also good for samples of shampoo in flat envelopes, but I think that crowd may have left for another website.

pooch
11-17-2009, 09:48 PM
1 fluid dram = 1 fluid ounce
16 drams = 1 ounce (weight measures)

Since they aren't marked (even though they are less than 1/3 of the allowable size) there is always the chance that you might run into a problem.

Generally, my bottles are not looked at closely enough to see that they have a size marked on them (assuming they are small), but sometimes they are (even when clearly 50mL or less).

these bottles are maybe an inch long & 1/2 an inch across, really small. Thanks for the measurement lesson though!:upsidedow

Alesia
11-17-2009, 10:27 PM
Smartypants beat me to it with the measurements (I was thinking of alchohol actually and got distracted...)

But I agree about samples. I use l'Occitane (sorry, there I go being all braggy again about using European products on the European plane but darn it I AM European! ;) ) They give out several samples with each purchase, in flat 'envelopes', which are excellent for the 100-1-1 baggie. They also last quite long so I keep my bag stuffed with those.

The weekly freebie thread of old was also good for samples of shampoo in flat envelopes, but I think that crowd may have left for another website.

:goodvibes Yes, we did, but you're welcome to follow us. Freebies are getting fewer and farther between, though.

SnowWhitee
11-18-2009, 10:55 AM
Never stayed at Pop, but according to a PP it seems no lotion there. We always get lotion in our room at WL - I wonder if the values don't provide it?

Anyway, thought I'd share a couple of other sites I learned about.
This one carries all types of travel items: alltravelsizes.com
This one is all about a toothbrush/paste combo and it says select Walgreens carry them too: freshangousa.com

After a few Disney trips and various other FL beach trips, I learned to give up on the hair and make-up most days. I do typically take some make-up, but mostly foundation, concealer, powder, blush, mascara, one lip gloss/color. And many days that doesn't get used. If you have longer hair that can be pulled back, do that and don't fight the curling iron/straight iron battle. I had shorter hair our last trip and I would try to dry it and put a little hair spray on before we left the room. Even in March the humidity was enough to make some sections curl and wave, and I just had to live with it. Vacation is too short to be prissy. Save all that for special dinners or dressy events.

Now that most airlines charge baggage fees, our family does all carry-ons. Even my girls get their own wheeled suitcase and one small bag with toys/books/snacks for the plane. They are great travelers- been doing it since the age of 2 each. They know the security drill and we are all shoeless and have our quart size bags in hand. It amazes me at adults who hold up the line not knowing or caring about the rules. Come on people! If I can travel (last trip w/o DH, so was a solo parent) with two little ones and be organized and follow the rules, how is it that a grown person can't???

You can pack lighter - just really question if you need something. good luck!:thumbsup2

GuardMusic
11-18-2009, 11:04 AM

Make up base
facial cleanser
my hair gel
DH hair gel
DH shaving cream
lotion (?)
toothpaste

Thanks for your help.

I'm probably gonna get flames for this, :mad: but why can't you put this in your checked luggage. We take all of this stuff too & it always goes in checked. :confused:

crashbb
11-18-2009, 11:08 AM
I'm probably gonna get flames for this, :mad: but why can't you put this in your checked luggage. We take all of this stuff too & it always goes in checked. :confused:

No flames, that is the usual suggestion. HOWEVER, the OP has stated that she wants to avoid paying to check luggage and is going with only carry-on. So, that isn't a viable option in this situation.

MrsSilvaStrat
11-18-2009, 11:35 AM
I also use some of the room in DH's plastic baggie for some of my products. Over the years I have become the trial size queen so that I can use them for vacations :) I hate paying the checked bag fee. We are doing carry ons only for our upcoming trip. 4 days.

Remember you are allowed a carry on and a personal item. My personal item is always my large tote (think diaper bag sized). Between this and my carry on suitcase, I always have room for souveniers on the way home too.

TDC Nala
11-18-2009, 12:48 PM
I use solid shampoo, solid conditioner and solid facial cleanser. And sunscreen wipes, not liquid sunscreen. More room in the baggie.

Lotion is not provided in the value resort rooms.