View Full Version : Standby on Air Tran

11-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Has anyone flown standby on Air Tran where there is a connecting flight? We currently have a nonstop but want to try standby to get there earlier but there is a connecting flight. Will they get you set up at the original location or do you have to go and try to be standby for the connection too? That could backfire if it doesnt work out plus the one we are interested in only has a 43 min. layover as it is.

Also how would ME work if we came in earlier?

11-12-2009, 02:23 PM
DH used to work for an airline (not airtran) and we flew standby all the time before we had kids. I don't recommend it, especially if you have confirmed seats on a nonstop flight. Even if you made the connection in time, there is no guarantee that you would get on the flight to MCO. Keep in mind that most flights to MCO are almost full almost all of the time. Did you look at the seat map on airtran's flight? How does it look and how far out is your flight?

IMHO I wouldn't do it, I'd stick with a confirmed nonstop without a doubt.

11-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Both parts of the flight look ok so far. We are leaving on the 22nd. If we could do this we would get into Orlando 6 hours earlier which would be great. We just dont want to be stuck sitting in Atlanta if we dont get the first connecting flight.

In the past we did standby on another airline and the lady at the counter set us up for both flights when we got the first one. I just am not sure if Air Tran would do that.

11-12-2009, 02:32 PM
Please be careful if you try this. DD and I just flew Airtran on Nov. 2 - had an early connecting flight in Atlanta, wanted to get stand by for an earlier connection to save 3.5 hours in Atlanta. Our flight actually landed 25 min. early, but then we sat on the tarmac for 35 min. because they had no gate to let us into because we were early. We got off the plane and ran to the gate for stand-by - it was already closed and the people who were actually booked on the connection we were trying to get stand-by on had to wait and stand-by for our flight because they were late for their connection.:scared1: If you have a non-stop, I would keep it - less stress, and no guessing on your time, because believe me, the times look good on paper until you're actually living them the day of your flights!:rolleyes1

11-13-2009, 12:21 PM
Aww I was so excited to possibly get into Orlando before we are scheduled to leave. Does it help that there is another flight that connects that leaves 45 min. after this one so there will actually be maybe 2 to choose from? We really would hate to get stuck sitting in Atlanta all day though

11-13-2009, 12:45 PM
Airtran will let you change your flight, day of the flight, confirmed. Unless something has changed there is a charge ($49?) and it can only be done at the airport.

I wouldn't want to be stuck in Atlanta. It only takes one delayed or canceled flight to result in a lot of passengers ahead of you in the standby Que. Airtan won't owe you anything if you're stuck in Atlanta.

You said there is anyother connecting flight 45 minutes later. Remember if your flight is delayed passengers on your flight, confirmed on the flight you miss to Orlando, will be accommodated on the later flight ahead of you.

I'd only do it if the extra 6 hours is worth whatever Airtran charges for a confirmed reservation.

11-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Is the second flight (the one 45 minutes later) from Michigan or Atlanta? In other words, are there two flights you can connect TO (i.e. in Atlanta) or FROM (i.e. Michigan)?

11-13-2009, 01:37 PM
The 2nd flight is in Atlanta. In other words there are 3 flights that leave Michigan at the same time and then that flight actually connects to 3 flights in Atlanta at different times that go to Orlando. One has like a 3 hour layover. The other 2 are 45 minutes and 1 1/2 hours.

I know my husband wont pay to confirm the flight for onl 6 hours saved..its so hard to know what to do. I dont want him to end up mad at me!

11-13-2009, 01:43 PM
I missed part of your OP, DME won't be a problem.

Assume the flight from Michigan to Atlanta is delayed. Passengers with a reservation on the first flight to MCO will be confirmed on one of the 2 later flights. Assume the flight has a lot of empty seats and Airtran is short a plane (mechanical or weather). Airtran might cancel one of the flights to MCO so they can use the aircraft on another route.

Call Airtran. I'd only consider it if the GA at Michigan is able to give you a confirmed reservation on an Atlanta-Orlando flight.

You probably should plan on taking your original flight.

11-13-2009, 02:01 PM
As much as I hate to admit it I think you may be right...who knows with Atlanta. That airport is such a mess :sad1:

11-13-2009, 02:38 PM
You need to call Airtran. Ask if the GA has the authority to confirm a reservation for your connecting if you clear standby for your first flight.

I don't think I'd fly to Atlanta without a reservation to Orlando.

The day before see if any of the flights are overbooked. I doubt you'll get a confimred seat if the flights from Atlanta to Orlando are oversold. Try to make a reservation for 9 passengers. Conversely if your N/S flight is overbooke Air-tran might work with you. Some airlines (SW) won't. They believe they'll have enough no-shows.

11-13-2009, 05:17 PM
We just flew Airtran into ATL with connecting flight. We went to gate of the earlier flight we wanted to standby for and the CSR said no problem. (wasn't full) There was no charge and he just printed us out new boarding passes. If you have checked luggage that's where the problem is, you have to travel with your luggage. If you want to confirm earlier flight from departure airport, then that's where the 49.00 fee comes in to guarantee the earlier flight.

11-13-2009, 05:57 PM
So you are saying you took the chance of waiting until you were in Atlanta? I think that is what you said? Or were you able to get put on both flights at the same time when you left on the first part?

11-13-2009, 06:32 PM
I flew Airtran last month - 3 out of 4 of my flights were overbooked and the were looking for people to give up their seats. I took the bump from my flight home and have a free flight to anywhere Airtran flys good for the next year.

11-14-2009, 08:30 AM
So you are saying you took the chance of waiting until you were in Atlanta? I think that is what you said? Or were you able to get put on both flights at the same time when you left on the first part?

no we waited until we were in ATL, then went to gate of the earlier flt. If you don't get on you still have your flt or opportunity to stand by for another one if there is one and it doesn't cost anything.

11-14-2009, 05:43 PM
Oh I see..well we are currently on a nonstop flight so we wouldnt have another one as backup. It would be try to get one of the connecting flights or be SOL I am thinking