PDA

View Full Version : New WDW Mobile Website - a question

steve76
11-12-2009, 04:39 AM
So, Disney have launched a new mobile phone app in the US, for Verizon customers only. But they've also launched a new mobile website for people not on Verizon - m.disneyworld.com, with some of the functionality of the full app.

However, when I try to access it from my phone (an iPhone), it just redirects to the UK site (just as when you try to access it from a normal web browser). However, there is no 'Visit US site' link on the mobile version, and the 'go to international sites' doesn't work. It seems that I cannot access the mobile site at all.

So, my question - is this because the phone knows that I am actually in the UK, and it will magically work when I get to the US, or is it because it's a UK phone, and so it won't work?

Thanks!

wayneg
11-12-2009, 04:47 AM
No expert but I would think its because you are connecting via a UK network provider. Once you get to US and connect with your roaming network I would expect it to work.
Doubt they can distiguish between a UK or a US phone, only the network it is on.

Peebee
11-12-2009, 04:59 AM
As Wayne says, it's because they can identify your location via your service provider and redirect you to where they think you need to go. Many international sites like Expedia etc also try to guess your preference, but most also give you the chance to override it for the future with a setting via your web browser.

You can get through to see how it looks by adding the 'forceDomestic' bit on the end of the website address - e.g. http://m.disneyworld.com/?forceDomestic=true - looks fine on the iPhone here.

Unfortunately, as soon as you select any of the links it loses that part, and you're back to square one. Hopefully they'll fix it for non-US users soon.

Can't see myself using it in the parks unfortunately, not with O2's roaming charges for data use outside of the UK - might end up costing more than the flights!!

Paul

wayneg
11-12-2009, 05:06 AM
Can't see myself using it in the parks unfortunately, not with O2's roaming charges for data use outside of the UK - might end up costing more than the flights!!

We tested Vodafone costs in May, see if it was an option to get DW's emails in August on the cruise. to collect 1 email off hotmail and send a very short one back it cost about $8. Didn't help 1st connection was dropped.
Data charges are crazy for roaming in US.

dc1964
11-12-2009, 05:19 AM
Turn Data roaming off when in the US.The best bet for the internet is to have a phone that connects to wireless networks ( like the Iphone) but there are many others. use wireless hotspots like Mcdonalds and Starbucks. Or lots of hotels. Does not help much on a cruise ship unless you buy a package from the internet centre of course.

steve76
11-12-2009, 08:12 AM
Thanks everyone for your responses. :thumbsup2