PDA

View Full Version : Our new kitten, Boo. :) Update P5

torsie24
11-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Hi everyone :wave2:

I hope you don't mind me coming on here and telling you all, but I'm so excited I need to share!!

We have just decided today that we are getting a new cat for definite, and we met 'the one' today. :)

We have been talking about getting a new kitty for a while, as our current cat Bella (4) gets on so nicely with the other cats that live here that we would love for her to have a housemate.

We decided for sure we wanted to be a 2 cat household just before we went to Florida, and while we were away we watched an epsiode of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse where they all had a pet. Donald had a chicken named Boo Boo Chicken, which we found super cute and decided that Boo would be the name of our new cat once we'd chosen one!

Well, since I got back I have been checking the local Cat's Protection League website, at that's we get all of our cats from. And last monday I logged on, and to my surprise a little cat called Boo had been added over the weekend!!!

I was so excited that I phoned CPL immediately and started the ball rolling.

After a few phone calls we had our house visit and interview yesterday, and then today the lady rang saying we could have any cat we fancied (as long as it could live with other cats) but she was really keen on us meeting Boo. So we went to see him today.

The poor little guy has been through so much (was found with 2 broken legs where someone has kicked/stamped on him, but surgery has helped a lot), for someone who not even 5 months old. And although his legs point out the wrong way and he has a bit of a funny limp, he is so sweet and friendly and super confident and cheeky!

He is on cage rest as he is still on the mend, but as soon as his foster mum opened his cage up today he climbed out and onto me and gave me a big kiss on my face and purred the loudest purr, then did the same to Jack.

We spent an hour playing with him, and have fallen in love!! I'm hoping to update with photos (if they came out ok, as he didn't stay still for one second today so all might be a bit fuzzy) and any extra news I get.
Please all keep your fingers crossed his little leg has healed ok, or he might have to have it amputated. :(

He has an x-ray on monday to see how the one leg that's still not 100% is, but hopefully it'll be good news and he will be home with us soon, ready to cause Bella some torment and grow to be a big spoiled boy with us. :)

Pinky166
11-10-2009, 04:03 PM
Awww how sweet, I hope Boo comes to live with his new family soon. :wizard:

Ware Bears
11-10-2009, 05:01 PM
and to my surprise a little cat called Boo had been added over the weekend!!!

He is obviously meant to be part of your family! :goodvibes

I hope he soon comes home to you.

mandymouse
11-11-2009, 01:09 AM
Aww, I hope he comes to live with you soon ::yes::

jjk
11-11-2009, 01:16 AM
oh how lovely,hope Boo comes home with you soon :wizard:

natalielongstaff
11-11-2009, 01:23 AM
great name :thumbsup2

torsie24
11-11-2009, 01:30 AM
great name :thumbsup2
Haha, thanks we keep singing "Boo to you" to Bella. Although now it's warped into "Boo to you, and you, and you, and you, Happy Bellaween".

Thank you for your replies everyone! I spent all of last night dreaming about him. Now the reality of trying to make Bella like him is starting to worry us a bit though!

Have any of you turned an only cat into a happy home sharer? She is super friendly, but I really want them to be good company for each other!

irongirlof12
11-11-2009, 02:22 AM
:thumbsup2 I want a kitten but DH does not like cats :sad2:

disney_princess_85
11-11-2009, 03:22 AM
Aww, he sounds lovely! Can't wait to see some pics. :)

Tillybud
11-11-2009, 12:42 PM
aww he sounds adorable, can't wait to see some pics :goodvibes

joolz1910
11-11-2009, 02:34 PM
How exciting. I want to see pictures of Bella and Boo together! Boo will be lucky to have such caring owners now, after the start he's had.:goodvibes

torsie24
11-11-2009, 02:46 PM
How exciting. I want to see pictures of Bella and Boo together! Boo will be lucky to have such caring owners now, after the start he's had.:goodvibes
Awww, that's really sweet thank you!

I was sitting a minute ago with Bella next to me and got such a pang of guilt about throwing her into this world of sibling-ness without her knowing about it yet.

I think it's because it's definite with Boo, but now the immediate excitement of him has worn off and the reality is that Bella is going to change a little bit. :( We are going to take their introduction as slow as possible, as by all acounts if done correctly it is very rare for cats to disliek each other. They might not be the best of friends like I'm imagining, but they are both very sweet and good natured cats so I think maybe I'm just worrying too much!

We are going to start by keeping Boo Boo in the spare bedroom and swapping things over so they get a lot of smells of each other. Also this means that even though Bella will know there is another cat in the house it wont affect her being able to sleep in our bed with us at night and have us to herself when we watch TV etc.

Urgh I can't win, I feel guilty at the prosepct of Bella not having our 100% attention and then I feel guilty for feeling like I'm not looking forward to Boo coming!

Who knew a tiny little cheeky monkey cat could cause me so much mental turmoil! :lmao:

Chilly
11-11-2009, 04:03 PM
Ah can't wait to see photos.

thelittlemermaid83
11-12-2009, 04:43 AM
Awwww I can't wait to see some photos!

saratogagirl
11-12-2009, 12:16 PM

I was sitting a minute ago with Bella next to me and got such a pang of guilt about throwing her into this world of sibling-ness without her knowing about it yet.

I think it's because it's definite with Boo, but now the immediate excitement of him has worn off and the reality is that Bella is going to change a little bit. :( We are going to take their introduction as slow as possible, as by all acounts if done correctly it is very rare for cats to disliek each other. They might not be the best of friends like I'm imagining, but they are both very sweet and good natured cats so I think maybe I'm just worrying too much!

We are going to start by keeping Boo Boo in the spare bedroom and swapping things over so they get a lot of smells of each other. Also this means that even though Bella will know there is another cat in the house it wont affect her being able to sleep in our bed with us at night and have us to herself when we watch TV etc.

Urgh I can't win, I feel guilty at the prosepct of Bella not having our 100% attention and then I feel guilty for feeling like I'm not looking forward to Boo coming!

Who knew a tiny little cheeky monkey cat could cause me so much mental turmoil! :lmao:

Don't feel guilty, although I won't fib to you I had a right nightmare when we first got Poppy. Coco was a year old and when we first bought Poppy home he was a nightmare, I think Pops spent most of her first two weeks hiding from him in our bedroom or in the airing cupboard!! After about a month her did his usual trick of biting her on the ear, she must have had enough because she cuffed him around the head with her paw. That was the start of a beautiful friendship and she is now very much the boss, they cuddle up to sleep together, share food etc.. They are the best of friends, it will all be ok with Bella and Boo given time. I will try to find a pic of them having a nap together ...

torsie24
11-12-2009, 12:34 PM
Don't feel guilty, although I won't fib to you I had a right nightmare when we first got Poppy. Coco was a year old and when we first bought Poppy home he was a nightmare, I think Pops spent most of her first two weeks hiding from him in our bedroom or in the airing cupboard!! After about a month her did his usual trick of biting her on the ear, she must have had enough because she cuffed him around the head with her paw. That was the start of a beautiful friendship and she is now very much the boss, they cuddle up to sleep together, share food etc.. They are the best of friends, it will all be ok with Bella and Boo given time. I will try to find a pic of them having a nap together ...
Awww, what a lovely story!!

See Bella and Mr Bella's (a neighbours cat) tale of romance started with them hissing and stomach growling at each other, and now every time they meet he grabs her neck and she gives him a whack round the face, and then they kiss and play together and share toys and things.

Boo is soo friendly, he currently lives with his foster mummy who has a big grumpy old boy, and Boo wants to be his friend so badly, he goes up to him and lays on his back and tries to lick and kiss him. Poor old grumpy bushkin doesn't like it al all, but I'm hoping with time Bella will kiss him back and she likes kissing Mr Bella.

We are going to see whathappens after a few days of them being in separate rooms and us swapping their bedding etc.

DisneyJo
11-12-2009, 01:05 PM
I hope they get along and we got a new kitten 3 weeks ago, guess what her name is?...................... Boo :rotfl:

joolz1910
11-12-2009, 01:48 PM

I felt the same when I had DD number 2.:rotfl: Now I see that it's often a case of 'the more the merrier'.

torsie24
11-12-2009, 02:14 PM
I hope they get along and we got a new kitten 3 weeks ago, guess what her name is?...................... Boo :rotfl:
Awww! Good name choice!! ;) :rotfl:

torsie24
11-16-2009, 07:32 AM
Eeeee - the cat's protection lady contacted me a bit ago.

Boo had his x-ra this morning and everything looks great!!

He is having tonight and tomorrow to recover from his anaestetic and then we are going to go collect him after work on Wednesday! Eeee.

Now the nerves are really settling in!

We went to Pets at Home on Saturday morning and spent 70 on him! Heee, jack thinks I'm a bit of a nutter, but we got an awesome cat tree that Bella is in love with already. :)

jackieleanne
11-16-2009, 08:17 AM
Great news. :cheer2: Hope that Bella and Boo get on great. :goodvibes

mandymouse
11-16-2009, 08:23 AM
:yay: That's great news, I hope you'll post some photos of Boo for us

torsie24
11-16-2009, 08:36 AM
:yay: That's great news, I hope you'll post some photos of Boo for us
Definitely :)

I'm going to have to take lots tonight and tomorrow night to document Bella's last few hours as an only child!

natalielongstaff
11-16-2009, 09:42 AM
great news :thumbsup2

thelittlemermaid83
11-16-2009, 01:28 PM
Thats fantastic news hun :hug:

Pinky166
11-16-2009, 01:33 PM
:yay: thats fab!!!!

Beep
11-16-2009, 05:11 PM
Awww, poor little thing, but how fantastic he found you!

We have had our 'new boy' for just about as year now and the two old ladies are starting to settle with him. No swipes or hissing, just black looks from the one sister.

Our new boy was kicked out (literally from what we can gather of his broken leg) by the drug dealer who owned him as he decided he wanted a Rottweiler instead. Ours then slept for months on a bird table and in the hedges to get out of the cold and rain before we gave him our home.

The only downside is he seems to think that he still needs to bring friends or takeaways in (depending on how alive they are) but we love him dearly.

webprinter
11-16-2009, 06:31 PM
Haha, thanks we keep singing "Boo to you" to Bella. Although now it's warped into "Boo to you, and you, and you, and you, Happy Bellaween".

Thank you for your replies everyone! I spent all of last night dreaming about him. Now the reality of trying to make Bella like him is starting to worry us a bit though!

Have any of you turned an only cat into a happy home sharer? She is super friendly, but I really want them to be good company for each other!

We adopted a kitten (6 mon old) in Sept. When we first brought her home, our 4-5 year old cat did not like her at all. We kept them separated for the first couple days. After that the older one learned to tolerate the younger one and by the end of two weeks they were playing together. Now, the older male has decided to play mother to the younger one and is frequently found giving her a bath and watching her worriedly when he thinks she is getting into trouble. He acts like a little mother hen to her and she adores him.

One reason we got a new cat is because we work all day and our older cat (Tucker) is lonesome. Plus, when we go on vacation, he is so lonesome, he can hardly stand it. We went to WDW in October and when our college age daughter came home to check on the two cats, Tucker wasn't lonesome at all. He was too busy playing with the kitten and hardly paid our daughter any attention at all. Now she has her nose out of joint since Tucker is "her" cat.

torsie24
11-17-2009, 01:01 AM
We adopted a kitten (6 mon old) in Sept. When we first brought her home, our 4-5 year old cat did not like her at all. We kept them separated for the first couple days. After that the older one learned to tolerate the younger one and by the end of two weeks they were playing together. Now, the older male has decided to play mother to the younger one and is frequently found giving her a bath and watching her worriedly when he thinks she is getting into trouble. He acts like a little mother hen to her and she adores him.

One reason we got a new cat is because we work all day and our older cat (Tucker) is lonesome. Plus, when we go on vacation, he is so lonesome, he can hardly stand it. We went to WDW in October and when our college age daughter came home to check on the two cats, Tucker wasn't lonesome at all. He was too busy playing with the kitten and hardly paid our daughter any attention at all. Now she has her nose out of joint since Tucker is "her" cat.
Wow! What a lovely story!! Thank you!

Our two are the same ages so fingers crossed we might be nearly as lucky as you. We have Boo's room pretty much ready (aren't going to put the food and water down as Bella would probably take advantage, seeing as none of his toys haven't been played with by her now!).

I hope that by keeping them apart after a few days she'll be more to meet him rather than desperate to hiss at him. Who knows. I might video their first meeting.

torsie24
11-18-2009, 02:26 AM
Eeeee, today's the day. We are going straight after work to get him. I'm not sure whether we'll play with him a bit before bringing him home, we'll wait and see what feels best.

No doubt I'll take a million photos tonight, and the room we are keeping him in has nothing in it, so I will probably have my laptop in there while I keep him company.

9 hours to go!

disney_princess_85
11-18-2009, 04:22 AM
How exciting, looking forward to some pics. :goodvibes

jackieleanne
11-18-2009, 05:37 AM
How excited can't wait to see him. :goodvibes

torsie24
11-18-2009, 02:49 PM
He's all home with us. :)

I think his foster mummy was sad to see him leave, but hopefully she knows how much we'll love him.

He was as good as gold in the car, and then when we got home I took him into the spare room (his room for the next few days until we're ready to introduce them) and opened his box. He stomped right out purring his big loud purr, and marched around. Played with all of the toys we have for him and climbed all over me and kissed me. And now we are laying on the spare bed together.

He is such a wonderful friendly boy. Here are some photos so far.

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs024.snc3/11169_327023185083_821450083_9829387_6452587_n.jpg

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs024.snc3/11169_327023235083_821450083_9829393_2566327_n.jpg

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs004.snc3/11169_327023265083_821450083_9829396_7054053_n.jpg

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs004.snc3/11169_327023270083_821450083_9829397_1861389_n.jpg

Bella had to sniff the box like mad once he was out of it!
http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs004.snc3/11169_327023145083_821450083_9829383_8280382_n.jpg

jjk
11-18-2009, 02:54 PM
aww, Boo is adorable :goodvibes

tinks_1989
11-18-2009, 02:55 PM
aw torsie how cute is he poor little thing though how could any one do that to a poor animal

awww bella is so cute sniffing he he

natalielongstaff
11-18-2009, 02:58 PM
Awww boo is adorable

torsie24
11-18-2009, 03:00 PM
aww, Boo is adorable :goodvibes

Thank you :goodvibes

aw torsie how cute is he poor little thing though how could any one do that to a poor animal

awww bella is so cute sniffing he he

I know, I have decided to stop thinking about it. Luckily he seems to have fear of absolutely nothing, so at least we know he isn't mentally scarred or anything.

Bella is SO curious of what's happening here in the spare room. She'll start yowling at the door, (to which Boo either ignores, or looks at and purrs a bit louder!) and then we swap over and she gets very excited to play with whichever one has been on Boo shift. I think maybe she's missing not having access to both of us as we never shut doors. She doesn't appear to be fussed that we smell like Boo.

mandymouse
11-18-2009, 03:05 PM
Boo is soooooooooo cute, he's lovely :thumbsup2

thelittlemermaid83
11-18-2009, 03:07 PM
Awwwwww hes so cute Victoria!

torsie24
11-18-2009, 03:11 PM
This is him doing his super loud Boo purr!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNQSGwlVG_U

poppie123
11-18-2009, 03:14 PM
Awww Torsie, he is just adorable.

joolz1910
11-18-2009, 03:36 PM
I Boo related to Sooty?

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr19/Joolz1910/ebay3813.jpg

Separated at birth? She has a white bib too.

disney_princess_85
11-18-2009, 03:51 PM
Aww, he's adorable! :)

I Boo related to Sooty?

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr19/Joolz1910/ebay3813.jpg

Separated at birth? She has a white bib too.

Quite possibly! :rotfl:

Pinky166
11-18-2009, 04:23 PM
Awww Boo is so sweet!

torsie24
11-18-2009, 04:30 PM
Awww, maybe Boo is related to Sooty!!!

Righht, I'm off to try and get some sleep. I really hope he doesn't cry or I'll feel awful!!

jackieleanne
11-19-2009, 12:00 AM
Awww he's so cute. Hope they get on well. :goodvibes

torsie24
11-19-2009, 12:55 AM
I'm up with his already :goodvibes: I didn't even need to wait for the alarm this morning, I was excited to see how he had got on overnigt as we didn't hear one peep from him!

I opened the door with a little trepidation, but nothing had been broken, moved or weed on, so I hail his first night as a massive success.

Even though he ate a bowl of biscuits overnight he wolfed down his Whiskas Kitten. I really want to move him onto Orijen biscuits that Bella is on, as it's so much better nutritionally than Iams and Whiskas etc. But he loves his Whiskas so much I'm going to have to see what he thinks.

He has now filled his little tummy and is snuggling next to me having a wash and chewing on my dressing gown cord.

natalielongstaff
11-19-2009, 01:25 AM
:hug: sounds like he had a great start !

Natasha&Matt
11-19-2009, 01:56 AM
Awwww bless he is sooo cute!! x

tinks_1989
11-19-2009, 03:54 AM
aw that is so cute

the video of him puring my rabbit watched it lol

wifey
11-19-2009, 05:59 AM
It's great to know that Boo's settling in so well:thumbsup2, if you find things ever get tense between the two of them plug in a Feliway diffuser they contain synthetic hormones similar to that of a mother cat and they are supposed to help the cats feel calm and confident in their environment. Keep up the good work they will soon be settled and content together.

I know a cat foster carer who swears they really do help to relieve stress for cats. The cattery we took ours to in the summer had them too and it made a difference to our Bill while he stayed there. Gotta love those Black and White cats they have so much to give, it's hard to believe so many of them end up abandoned or hurt.

tennisfan
11-19-2009, 06:49 AM
He is adorable, Victoria:goodvibes

Chilly
11-19-2009, 07:01 AM
glad the first day and night went well he is very cute.

webprinter
12-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Any new updates about how the two of them are doing? I miss hearing and have been wondering but don't want to know if it isn't good. :goodvibes

torsie24
12-07-2009, 01:20 AM
Hahaha, thanks webprinter!

They are doing fine thankyou. They seem to enjoy each other's company, although he if gets a bit too boisterous with her she gets hissed at. But they've never had a fight or anything, so for cats I think it's good going.

Boo was 6lbs when we got him and yesterday he was 8, so he's growing super fast! He'll be bigger than Bella soon. They are currently both running around like maniacs playing with a plastic bag and ambushing each other form under the christmas tree.

Here are some photos from the last week.

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs004.snc3/11169_335822680083_821450083_9935732_8107549_n.jpg

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs004.snc3/11169_344137840083_821450083_10044599_3027716_n.jp g

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs004.snc3/11169_344137865083_821450083_10044603_416060_n.jpg

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs024.snc3/11169_344137875083_821450083_10044605_4148357_n.jp g

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs024.snc3/11169_344137880083_821450083_10044606_1569451_n.jp g

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs024.snc3/11169_344137885083_821450083_10044607_256869_n.jpg

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs024.snc3/11169_344137910083_821450083_10044610_597597_n.jpg

natalielongstaff
12-07-2009, 01:28 AM
They look so cute together :)

mandymouse
12-07-2009, 01:38 AM
Great photos, it looks like they're getting on well :thumbsup2

VailaTigger
12-07-2009, 06:51 AM
They are both absolutely gorgeous!!!

SO glad to hear that they are getting on well together. I homed 2 cats from the CP 7 years ago, a brother and sister (Gypsy and Oscar). Unfortunately Oscar got run over after we'd only had them 3 months. I tried twice after that to home another cat with Gypsy to keep her company, neither of which worked out (George had a heart problem which he passed away from after about a year, and Charlie left one day and didn't come home again!)

Gypsy has been an only girl for the past 3 or 4 years, and to be perfectly honest, I think she prefers it that way. She's very clingy with me, and it's taken her quite a while to get used to my new partner, although she loves him now too.

disney_princess_85
12-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Both of your cats are so lovely! :goodvibes

webprinter
12-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Thank you so much for the update. I am glad all is going so well. I was hoping. It sounds just like our two who had the same age split as yours except our new one is female (Bella) and our oldest is male (Tucker). Your pictures are adorable.

torsie24
12-09-2009, 01:31 AM
Thank you so much for the update. I am glad all is going so well. I was hoping. It sounds just like our two who had the same age split as yours except our new one is female (Bella) and our oldest is male (Tucker). Your pictures are adorable.
:) My beautiful girl is called Bella too!

How long have you had your two together? How are they getting on?

webprinter
12-10-2009, 06:07 AM
Our Bella came to live with us the first weekend in Sept, so about 3 months. She was 6 months old at the time. They get along very well ALMOST all the time. Every now and then he snaps at her and she backs down. He acts like her mother, even gives her a bath. :rotfl2:

torsie24
04-20-2010, 06:40 AM
I'd forgotten about this thread and thought I might update it incase any of you would like to know about Boo.

He is now a GIANT! 13lbs the last time I weighed him which was a few weeks ago so I recon he'll be a stone soon.

He's a lovely boy and him and Bella have a wonderful time playing in the garden together. He still gets a telling off from her if he jumps on her (fair enough) but they get on great and are happy to share the bed with us and share food and litter etc. (Even though tehre are 2 food bowls and 2 litter trays!)

Here are some more recent photos. He's definitely not a kitten anymore!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs410.snc3/24801_10150110299945084_821450083_11423616_8127312 _n.jpg

Boo, Bella and Mr Bella in the garden:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs489.ash1/26760_10150117555625084_821450083_11481140_2454604 _n.jpg

Sunshine boy:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs489.snc3/26760_10150117555660084_821450083_11481143_1865922 _n.jpg

Figuring out the water fountain:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs509.snc3/26760_10150117555715084_821450083_11481146_2426389 _n.jpg

disney_princess_85
04-20-2010, 06:41 AM
Aww, lovely! :goodvibes

jockey
04-20-2010, 06:51 AM
Very cute :)

Claire L
04-20-2010, 06:59 AM
So sweet, thank you for the update :)

Netty
04-20-2010, 07:25 AM
aaww they are lovely! I love the photo of the cat sunbathing :goodvibes

Pinky166
04-20-2010, 08:21 AM
Awww lovely pics. Thanks for the update. :goodvibes

mandymouse
04-20-2010, 08:53 AM
Great photos ::yes::

natalielongstaff
04-20-2010, 09:55 AM
wow !! hasn't he grown :)

tinks_1989
04-20-2010, 01:15 PM
aw he is too cute

orlandothebeagle
04-20-2010, 01:55 PM
He is a lovely big boy.:love:

Ware Bears
04-20-2010, 04:52 PM
Doesn't he look happy! :goodvibes

Natasha&Matt
04-21-2010, 02:04 AM
Lovely pics :goodvibes

webprinter
04-21-2010, 07:50 PM
Thank you so much for the update and pictures. I was just thinking about you the other day wondering how things were going. Your Boo was the same age as our Bella when we adopted her with an older cat. I had hoped your Bella and Boo were doing as well as our Tucker and Bella. Our Tucker (the older one), gives Bella a bath also. When he does, she closes her eyes and purrs. :) He does put her in her place every now and then also.