PDA

View Full Version : Is Grand Floridian really worth....

JohnnySharp2
11-10-2009, 10:30 AM
250 per night ..............how much is too much?

Having recently booked flights for next August we are determined to add a few nights on-site before our usual villa stay.
That part is booked, Cumbrian lakes home sorted. However, we really wanted to stay at Grand Floridian for the first few nights especially as we had a good look around there in April.
However, over 250 per night begs the question, surely we cannot pay that? Polynesian at a mere 200 or so is obviously a cheaper option ;)

DVC resorts appeal because of the extra room, cooking facilities so points rental is a possibility, really want a Magic Kingdom or EPCOT location.

Anyone feel the same about any other holidays were they paid over the odds or high prices, took the plunge and had regrets?, or was it worth every penny.

With holidays become even more and more expensive we are thinking it's impossible to justify.

Netty
11-10-2009, 10:47 AM
Are you sure its that much per night??:scared1: I'm sure the prices are cheaper through DU or other websites than going direct.
We have never stayed there but sil has twice and absolutely loves it!

2Tiggies
11-10-2009, 10:53 AM
Have you had a look at the Contemporary? It is cheaper than the Poly. I know it looks a bit plain from the outside but the rooms are really nice and you could WALK to MK if you wanted to.

Also, Wilderness lodge is really nice - not quite on the monorail but only a boatride from MK and, IMO, in a lovely setting.

I don't know that the GF would be my first choice, even if all the resorts were the same price. It all depends what you want to do while you are there. If you just want to be close to the parks so you can spend more time at the parks ... you are paying a premium for a room you are never in. If you spend loads of time at the resort, you are buying park tickets that you aren't using as you would.

Personally I draw the line with anything when there is an impending threat of needing to justify how I spend (in this case) my time, to get maximum value.

jtlover
11-10-2009, 11:19 AM
Hi Johnny

I would say it is worth it - we have stayed at GF twice and loved it. It is relaxing and so close to MK.

I would say with Joshua it will be great as the weather is humid you can go back to the hotel for some chill time and within a few minutes be back at MK and you can watch the fireworks from the dock area too. There are also 2 pools which I am sure he would love.

We loved it because we felt like we were always at MK. I know it is quite expensive but we think it is worth it.

Next year we are going to SSR as we are taking an additional person, or we would probably go back:thumbsup2

JohnnySharp2
11-10-2009, 11:41 AM
Disney UK show price as 777 for 3 nights, got an AA quote from Dreams Unlimited for 816.

Wherever we stay it will be either Magic Kingdom or EPCOT located, don't really fancy anywhere else to be honest.
It is kind of linked to one or two limitations we have with Joshua, when at the villa it's common for him not to want to go out in the evening, whereas I am the opposite, rarely go out drinking or anything at home - in fact I honestly cannot remember the last time I was in a pub - just on holiday I like to.
Finding the place that suits all 3 of us is not easy and to be honest we aren't really hotel people anymore - but for 3 nights we really want a change of scenary.
We can afford it but it's the justification of it all, after all it's costing 975 for our 13 nights at the villa, flight prices high, all adds up to a 'getting out of hand' situation. Irony is I had at least 3 quotes for nice villas that were cheaper than any over the past few years.

We shall see - sorry Wilderness & Contemporary, don't fancy either.

Frances999
11-10-2009, 11:48 AM
I love the Grand Floridian but I only think the Main Building rooms are "worth it". We have stayed regular lodge room garden view before and I didn't really fall in love with it. Whereas the lodge/separate building system works really well at The Polynesian (IMO), I don't think it fits the GF and it annoyed me not being part of the main lobby and the focal point of the resort.

Having said that, it is a beautiful resort with top dining facilities and a perfect location. Have you also considered BLT?

2Tiggies
11-10-2009, 11:52 AM
Disney UK show price as 777 for 3 nights, got an AA quote from Dreams Unlimited for 816.

It is kind of linked to one or two limitations we have with Joshua, when at the villa it's common for him not to want to go out in the evening, whereas I am the opposite, rarely go out drinking or anything at home - in fact I honestly cannot remember the last time I was in a pub - just on holiday I like to.
We shall see - sorry Wilderness & Contemporary, don't fancy either.

Well in your case, you have very specific needs. To be honest, I gave you my opinion based on personal taste and logic. I guess you may do well to consider it then, especially if you are likely to be in during the evenings. There are also the DVC resorts, but cost wise for the three of you you may be just as well staying at the GF. I would recommend looking to see if you can get better quotes. Have you considered booking that part of your holiday direct with Disney US? If you are able to pay the accommodation upfront to them, you can lock in your exchange rate and they have different deals to what we do hear. It is worth a look.

JohnnySharp2
11-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Hi Johnny

I would say it is worth it - we have stayed at GF twice and loved it. It is relaxing and so close to MK.

I would say with Joshua it will be great as the weather is humid you can go back to the hotel for some chill time and within a few minutes be back at MK and you can watch the fireworks from the dock area too. There are also 2 pools which I am sure he would love.

We loved it because we felt like we were always at MK. I know it is quite expensive but we think it is worth it.

Next year we are going to SSR as we are taking an additional person, or we would probably go back:thumbsup2

Thanks :) you obviously enjoyed your stay there, which building were you in?

Have you also considered BLT?

Yes Frances we have, from a points rental side of things, but we really do not like the look of the place and the rooms whilst modern just look a bit 'cold' can't think of another way of putting it really, we haven't ruled it out based purely on location and kitchen facilities though. Also not that taken by the Contemporary and doubt Julie would go for a stroll over there as much as she would either at GF/Poly....BWV we would need 5 less points per night and we also like that location - just didn't like the room at all last time we stayed there, however, renting points is a real possibility value for money wise. The Poly is also an option, works out around 100 cheaper than the GF.
We walked from the Poly to the GF in April and had a real good look around, to be honest it's perfect for what we want, boat rentals, beach, 2 great resorts side by side, restuarants that suit Joshua, like the look of the poolside cabana rentals, plus plenty of bars in easy walking distance for me in the evening = paradise (but at a price we are struggling to justify).

I would recommend looking to see if you can get better quotes. Have you considered booking that part of your holiday direct with Disney US? If you are able to pay the accommodation upfront to them, you can lock in your exchange rate and they have different deals to what we do hear. It is worth a look.

A good point, we have looked at that or at least thought about it - we paid a deposit for an 'intended stay' at Polynesian for this year - we later cancelled as the price rose by nearly $200 and Disney never informed us (whether they should have is up for debate, that said the price on the initial invoice was increased), we told them to erm, well I can't tell you what we actually told them!

jtlover
11-10-2009, 12:40 PM
We stayed in Boca Chica on our first stay and the one by Gasparillos last time. I will have to look it up to find out which one it was.

You mentioned about having a drink, there are a few places to drink at GF so that wont be a problem.

We had a look at the boardwalk in August and that looks really nice too. You have got the clown pool with the elephants and will be able to see the fireworks at night and entertainers on the boardwalk. We felt that this had the same feel as GF.

I dont know if it is much cheaper though and you also have the boats to the parks there as well.

wayneg
11-10-2009, 01:33 PM
Is it worth it?
To you possibly, to me no, been a few times to visit, see Xmas decs, eaten 2 meals there. Not somewhere I would want to stay. Contemp I would bulldoze, just don't like at all(sorry all who like it). Poly would be the only one of the 3 I would want to stay at, great theming and Dole whips on tap:thumbsup2

jtlover
11-10-2009, 01:56 PM
Is it worth it?
To you possibly, to me no, been a few times to visit, see Xmas decs, eaten 2 meals there. Not somewhere I would want to stay. Contemp I would bulldoze, just don't like at all(sorry all who like it). Poly would be the only one of the 3 I would want to stay at, great theming and Dole whips on tap:thumbsup2

I agree with you about Contempory my DD thinks it looks like a car park and the added building has not improved it at all- it is very dated

Dole whips on tap:rotfl2:

TinkTatoo
11-10-2009, 02:42 PM
We were there for a few nights last summer and enjoyed our stay there. We were in Sugar Loaf which is the concierge building right by the quiet pool and that suited our needs really well. Our stay was at the end of our holiday and we just wanted to chill out and make the most of the resort, which we were able to do.

I booked through Disney USA which meant I was able to take advantage of any pin codes that came out and that meant getting 40% off the rack rate. It's very easy to book through Disney US and you only have to give them one nights deposit and pay the balance on check out. If you keep an eye on the Codes board you'll get the heads up on any discounts that cover your dates and can then call Disney for them to apply the discount to your booking.

Having stayed at the Poly, I'm not sure that it would suit Joshua's needs. The main pool is small for the size of the resort and often crowded. My DS, who has autism, found it too loud and busy so we didn't use it much but there is a quiet pool which he preferred.

JohnnySharp2
11-10-2009, 02:47 PM
We stayed in Boca Chica on our first stay and the one by Gasparillos last time. I will have to look it up to find out which one it was.

You mentioned about having a drink, there are a few places to drink at GF so that wont be a problem.

We had a look at the boardwalk in August and that looks really nice too. You have got the clown pool with the elephants and will be able to see the fireworks at night and entertainers on the boardwalk. We felt that this had the same feel as GF.

I dont know if it is much cheaper though and you also have the boats to the parks there as well.

Thanks, renting points at BWV could work out much cheaper, depending on $ per point from the seller - I actually can't stand that clown :) but the location is very good, especially the ESPN club - fast giving myself a reputation as a drinker here but the reality is just the opposite.

Contemp I would bulldoze, just don't like at all(sorry all who like it). Poly would be the only one of the 3 I would want to stay at, great theming and Dole whips on tap

I have never liked the Contemporary either though I do in a way see the appeal of the kitchen facilities at BLT - Dole Whips, had one in April for the first time, hated it, give me Mr Softee vanilla anyday!

JohnnySharp2
11-10-2009, 02:54 PM
We were there for a few nights last summer and enjoyed our stay there. We were in Sugar Loaf which is the concierge building right by the quiet pool and that suited our needs really well. Our stay was at the end of our holiday and we just wanted to chill out and make the most of the resort, which we were able to do.

I booked through Disney USA which meant I was able to take advantage of any pin codes that came out and that meant getting 40% off the rack rate. It's very easy to book through Disney US and you only have to give them one nights deposit and pay the balance on check out. If you keep an eye on the Codes board you'll get the heads up on any discounts that cover your dates and can then call Disney for them to apply the discount to your booking.

Having stayed at the Poly, I'm not sure that it would suit Joshua's needs. The main pool is small for the size of the resort and often crowded. My DS, who has autism, found it too loud and busy so we didn't use it much but there is a quiet pool which he preferred.

Hiya Tink,

Great points as always, must admit when we had a look around the Poly did seem much busier, and the GF so tranquil and appealing.

Just been saying to Julie once again how it's difficult to justfiy the cost but can see your idea being a good one. Who knows what we will do but at some point we will decide, I will check Disney US & keep an eye on the 'codes board'.

tubtruck
11-10-2009, 02:58 PM
Is the Grand Floridain worth the money? Hmmmmmm it is rather expensive, but what I would say having stayed at both the grand and the poly is that it is certainly worth an extra 50 more than the poly per night which IMHO is the most over priced dated looking resort on site and if it wasn't on the mono rail would likely be empty.

jockey
11-10-2009, 03:18 PM
We love the GF and YES it's worth every penny. We first stayed here when we got married and fell in love with it. The staff are wonderful, the rooms are a nice size and very bright. There are lovely restaurants to choose from and even the room service is excellent. You can get other monorail resorts cheaper but I would recommend it here even if it's just for a few nights :)

mark@saratoga
11-10-2009, 03:36 PM
I would say yeah go for it although is it really worth staying anywhere on your first night that is that expensive when all you really want to do is get your head down.

Why not stay somewhere cheap and cheerful for the first night and then in the morning head over to the GF and start your holiday from there? That way you can save best part of 200, make breakfast at GF and really not change too much on your holiday plans.:thumbsup2

Pooh's-Honey-Pot
11-10-2009, 03:43 PM
I would love, love LOVE to stay there or the Contemporary, but there's no way I will ever be able to justify the cost . . . I can barely justify the cost of the holiday!!:rotfl2: I always make sure I book a couple of meals in each resort so I get to spend some time there. If I could afford it I would though, so I say go for it!!!!

Ware Bears
11-10-2009, 04:10 PM
I would say go for it ~ if you feel afterwards that it wasn't worth the money then you will know for next time.

We have splashed out for two nights at the Yacht Club over New Year so that we can have a drink or two and walk back from Epcot.

earthelves
11-10-2009, 04:28 PM
To me its worth every single penny i spend per night there:lmao: Did 4 for 3 in Jan this year:) Went back in Oct & stayed just over a wk,Both times RPC:cool1: Next Christmas 2010 will be spending 2 wks RPC:scared1: It has the "WOW Factor" for me:mickeyjum I took my 10 year old nephew with me in Oct & he has stayed AKL CL, WL CL & OKW, his favourite is "The Grand":woohoo: Actually he is coming with DH & myself for Christmas 2010:tink:

Good Luck with your decision

JohnnySharp2
11-11-2009, 03:17 AM
Thanks for all the replies, still thinking about it really - will probably wait a little while but a fair chance we will go for it. :) Though that will probably change again tomorrow!

The first night is something we have also thought a lot about, and still are, it does seem like a waste of money but don't really want to swap and change accomodation too much.

jtlover
11-11-2009, 03:41 AM
Thanks for all the replies, still thinking about it really - will probably wait a little while but a fair chance we will go for it. :) Though that will probably change again tomorrow!

The first night is something we have also thought a lot about, and still are, it does seem like a waste of money but don't really want to swap and change accomodation too much.

Just thought, if you stay at GF or any disney hotel why not get the ME coach and then hire a car on the day you move to the villa, will save a bit of money which will go towards the cost of GF:thumbsup2

JohnnySharp2
11-11-2009, 03:52 AM
Just thought, if you stay at GF or any disney hotel why not get the ME coach and then hire a car on the day you move to the villa, will save a bit of money which will go towards the cost of GF:thumbsup2

Yeah, we have thought about that too. Thanks ;)

T16GEM
11-11-2009, 05:27 AM
Personally, I could never justify that kind of cost for a hotel per night no matter how nice it was!

As you say you are paying nearly the same for your villa as you would be for 3nights at the GF, and IMO I would rather spend that extra on doing things with the family during the holiday, maybe some special activities that you wouldn't usually do while on holiday.

I guess I love my villas though! :goodvibes:)

wayneg
11-11-2009, 06:05 AM
Personally, I could never justify that kind of cost for a hotel per night no matter how nice it was!

As you say you are paying nearly the same for your villa as you would be for 3nights at the GF, and IMO I would rather spend that extra on doing things with the family during the holiday, maybe some special activities that you wouldn't usually do while on holiday.

A year or so ago I would have agreed, I have stayed in hotels upto 150/night. Got no more enjoyment as a 20/night room, apart from Savannah room at AKL but still wouldn't pay rack rate for that.
As I get older I am changing(Yes Moira I know you knew I would;)) maybe I know years are passing bye and no idea how many years we can go(only in my forties but where's the last 16 years gone since our 1st visit, and whats around the corner?) maybe its because we can't go as often just now, I don't know but after experiencing biz class flights this year I would say if you can afford it its worth it. Same with hotels, if its what you want and you have the money its worth it. A room is somewhere to get my head down to sleep but fully appreciate people get more from from a hotel than we do.

JohnnySharp2
11-11-2009, 06:27 AM

Hiya my dear :)

Yes I know exactly what you mean and that's our dilemma too.
Like you, as you probably know from my ramblings over the years we are villa people also. Next years holiday we have 13 nights already booked in one, and over the years have spent the majority of time in them which to be honest suits us and we wouldn't dream of changing that - especially as Joshua loves the private pool and that feeling of being at home too.
He is such a 'home-boy'.

Unfortunatley he likes it so much that it's common for the evenings , say after 6pm to be a bit dull, when I say 'dull' that's an exaggeration but he likes to relax at the villa and doesn't want to go out (bless him), whereas I do. Over the years I have gone out a fair bit on my own, which after a while itself becomes a but dull especially having to drive everywhere. His Autism is obviously a factor here also.
He also doesn't like eating out much which again is a handicap.

I have very little social life at home, partly by choice, but when we are in Florida I feel 10 years younger, have a nice tan and like to smarten up a bit and go out in the evening (which is a total contradiction to what Joshua wants to do). Get round this as best I can by going to the nearby Outback for a drink, or similar places - but naturally cannot really 'drink & drive'.
So...varying the holiday is becoming hard, which is kind of why we didn't go for a couple of years, hence having only stayed on site once that's something new we can do. Whilst we have travelled all over Florida in the past we again for his benefit don't want to do that anymore, so that's where on-site for a few nights comes in.
Figure a Magic Kingdom location, or EPCOT would be good for all of us and Julie would enjoy going out too. Have been past Grand Floridian 100s of times but never thought about staying there until we had a look around in April.

What Wayne says too is also kind of relevant, we too are getting older (an obvious thing to say I know)...but potentially as Joshua gets older our lives get harder, he will never be able to do the things most lads will, so it's making the most of his youth - partly why we try and go to Florida as much as we can.

So that's my life story. :thumbsup2 Dear me after that lot I doubt anyone will post on this thread again!

torsie24
11-11-2009, 07:18 AM
I would certainly pay it Johnny (and will be for our wedding trip), we spent a lot of time at the GF on our recent trip as all of our wedding day (and therefore the planning) is going to be held there.

We fell in love with the Resort and to me its amazing location and its beauty is worth the extra. We didn't really like the Poly much at all, it just doesn't have any wow like the GF/AKL/WL do.

A lot of people have criticised me for paying 300/night for the Disneyland Hotel in Paris, but you know what, it made our recent trip SO relaxing and exciting and luxurious, and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again, it was a totally different experience to any in the past and that's how I want all my DLRP trips to be now, you can enjoy the parks so much mroe when you know you have somewhere gorgeous to return to and somewhere you can get back to without any trouble. We spend a lot of time in our resort room, and AKL was fabulous and we'd stay there again, but GF is definitely top of our list.

If you can afford it then go for it I say! It will really give you some relaxing time and make visiting MK that bit less hectic knowing you can get back so easily. :)

JohnnySharp2
11-11-2009, 07:42 AM
I would certainly pay it Johnny (and will be for our wedding trip), we spent a lot of time at the GF on our recent trip as all of our wedding day (and therefore the planning) is going to be held there.

We fell in love with the Resort and to me its amazing location and its beauty is worth the extra. We didn't really like the Poly much at all, it just doesn't have any wow like the GF/AKL/WL do.

A lot of people have criticised me for paying 300/night for the Disneyland Hotel in Paris, but you know what, it made our recent trip SO relaxing and exciting and luxurious, and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again, it was a totally different experience to any in the past and that's how I want all my DLRP trips to be now, you can enjoy the parks so much mroe when you know you have somewhere gorgeous to return to and somewhere you can get back to without any trouble. We spend a lot of time in our resort room, and AKL was fabulous and we'd stay there again, but GF is definitely top of our list.

If you can afford it then go for it I say! It will really give you some relaxing time and make visiting MK that bit less hectic knowing you can get back so easily. :)

Thanks - also I don't feel you should be criticised for paying that 300 per night, you pay you choose. ;)

gemmybear83
11-11-2009, 08:39 AM
I completly agree with people paying whatever they want.

However we did stay at Wilderness Lodge concierge level and I wouldnt class the rooms as "luxury" or "deluxe" yes they were nice but certainly not in that class. If I wanted a luxury holiday I think I would rather stay in a true five star hotel offsite instead.

Saying all of this were going abck to Wilderness Lodge next year as we loved the resort and its location - luxury clearly sint that important to us :rotfl:

TraceyL
11-11-2009, 08:46 AM
If you can afford it & you are going to make good use of the facilities then I would say it is worth it. You have particular circumstances that also stack up in favour of 'splurging'.
We splashed out one year on Poly concierge for 3 nights & loved it but prefer to spend out extra $$s on Universal hotels now ;)
The GF has never appealed to me but if it would suit all of you then go for it

Pooh Bear Hugs
11-11-2009, 08:56 AM
We find the GF to be busy with workers during the day, mainly on a morning it is difficult to get around or relax. Some find it a bit stuck up as well, we never found it to be a problem. Would we stay there no for the money there are much better places off site.

2Tiggies
11-11-2009, 09:09 AM
A year or so ago I would have agreed, I have stayed in hotels upto 150/night. Got no more enjoyment as a 20/night room, apart from Savannah room at AKL but still wouldn't pay rack rate for that.
As I get older I am changing(Yes Moira I know you knew I would;)) maybe I know years are passing bye and no idea how many years we can go(only in my forties but where's the last 16 years gone since our 1st visit, and whats around the corner?) maybe its because we can't go as often just now, I don't know but after experiencing biz class flights this year I would say if you can afford it its worth it. Same with hotels, if its what you want and you have the money its worth it. A room is somewhere to get my head down to sleep but fully appreciate people get more from from a hotel than we do.

I think it also depends on what you like to do at your hotel and what your family requirements are. I didn't realise that the OP had additional considerations until this was expained later onm so my point of view after that was slightly different to at the outset. The OP is going to spend a lot more time in the resort than we ever do, so considerations are going to be different. Also, it's what you are used to. I guess if you are used to staying at a nice villa, you are going to expect a bit more.

This falls into the same category as upgrading flights - we don't do economy anymore and all it took was one trip, several years ago...!

And yes, I agree: we do change in our tastes. I don't like to think it is linked to getting older (let's rather see it as progressing in our tastes .....).

Keep us posted on your plans and thought processes JohnnySharp 2 ;)

T16GEM
11-11-2009, 11:27 AM

Like you, as you probably know from my ramblings over the years we are villa people also. Next years holiday we have 13 nights already booked in one, and over the years have spent the majority of time in them which to be honest suits us and we wouldn't dream of changing that - especially as Joshua loves the private pool and that feeling of being at home too.
He is such a 'home-boy'.

Unfortunatley he likes it so much that it's common for the evenings , say after 6pm to be a bit dull, when I say 'dull' that's an exaggeration but he likes to relax at the villa and doesn't want to go out (bless him), whereas I do. Over the years I have gone out a fair bit on my own, which after a while itself becomes a but dull especially having to drive everywhere. His Autism is obviously a factor here also.

I have very little social life at home, partly by choice, but when we are in Florida I feel 10 years younger, have a nice tan and like to smarten up a bit and go out in the evening (which is a total contradiction to what Joshua wants to do). Get round this as best I can by going to the nearby Outback for a drink, or similar places - but naturally cannot really 'drink & drive'.
So...varying the holiday is becoming hard, which is kind of why we didn't go for a couple of years, hence having only stayed on site once that's something new we can do. Whilst we have travelled all over Florida in the past we again for his benefit don't want to do that anymore, so that's where on-site for a few nights comes in.
Figure a Magic Kingdom location, or EPCOT would be good for all of us and Julie would enjoy going out too. Have been past Grand Floridian 100s of times but never thought about staying there until we had a look around in April.

What Wayne says too is also kind of relevant, we too are getting older (an obvious thing to say I know)...but potentially as Joshua gets older our lives get harder, he will never be able to do the things most lads will, so it's making the most of his youth - partly why we try and go to Florida as much as we can.

So that's my life story. :thumbsup2 Dear me after that lot I doubt anyone will post on this thread again!

I think you should book it! I knew a lot of what you have said from previous posts and it seems like you deserve the extra few days off if you can afford it!

I don't want you to think I was judging you or anything :goodvibes it must be really hard with Joshua wanting to stay in - we do experience it to a degree with the little ones as they are so miserable when they are tired we tend not to inflict them on other people of an evening as it's not fair on everyone concerned so we tend to go back to the villa and crack open a beer or two by the pool! :rotfl:

TinkTatoo
11-11-2009, 12:33 PM

We do that, it takes the strain off DH driving when we get there (even though he doesn't mind) and it adds to the holiday.

...I have very little social life at home, partly by choice, but when we are in Florida I feel 10 years younger, have a nice tan and like to smarten up a bit and go out in the evening (which is a total contradiction to what Joshua wants to do)......

We'd be the same, which is why we love our Florida holidays so much.

Thinking about what you said, I think the GF would be a good location for you as they have great facilities there but also you're only a monorail ride away from two other hotels, a boat ride from WL and there are two parks in striking distance.

On our last holiday I was in all day with DD who was sick and when DS & DH got back from one of the parks DS didn't want to go out again so I took myself off on the bus to DTD to have a look around and get a bite to eat. I really enjoyed just soaking up the atmosphere so I can appreciate where you're coming from.

We find the GF to be busy with workers during the day, mainly on a morning it is difficult to get around or relax. Some find it a bit stuck up as well, we never found it to be a problem. Would we stay there no for the money there are much better places off site.

There were workers there in the summer but they weren't there in a "Spanish hotel building site" way and they didn't impact on our enjoyment at all (and we spent almost all our time at the resort)

barrysprot36
11-11-2009, 12:53 PM

He is such a 'home-boy'.

We have a Joshua (aged 17) who seems to be just like your Joshua. We spend an awful lot of time at our Resort and take turns going out for a walk or whatever when Josh needs his chill time in the room. That's why we like to have a balcony so we have some extra space if not using our DVC points.

We stayed at GF last year for 3 nights and thought it wonderful, the pools were not too busy and there was plenty for us to do without being too far from the Resort. we liked the extras that you don't get at any other de-luxe unless staying Club Level; clean towels and bed-lined every day, turn-down with fresh towels are a couple of things I can think of. We stayed in Boca Chica building which is like a Resort itself.

You don't want to know what we've paid for CR Atrium Club for 3 nights over Christmas:scared1: but it's a special treat for us all and feel it's worth it for us as a family.

Caron

JohnnySharp2
11-11-2009, 01:11 PM
I don't want you to think I was judging you or anything :goodvibes

Thought never occurred to me ;) you are not like that.

We have a Joshua (aged 17) who seems to be just like your Joshua. We spend an awful lot of time at our Resort and take turns going out for a walk or whatever when Josh needs his chill time in the room. That's why we like to have a balcony so we have some extra space if not using our DVC points.

We stayed at GF last year for 3 nights and thought it wonderful, the pools were not too busy and there was plenty for us to do without being too far from the Resort. we liked the extras that you don't get at any other de-luxe unless staying Club Level; clean towels and bed-lined every day, turn-down with fresh towels are a couple of things I can think of. We stayed in Boca Chica building which is like a Resort itself.

Caron

Hi Caron - yes I understand what you mean, some of the bigger more spread out resorts are not for us and we do like the look of the pools at the GF, the quieter one has cabana rental which for $100 for half a day we really fancy.

JohnnySharp2
11-11-2009, 01:15 PM

Caron

Hi Caron - yes I understand what you mean, some of the bigger more spread out resorts are not for us and we do like the look of the pools at the GF, the quieter one has cabana rental which for $100 for half a day we really fancy.

Thinking about what you said, I think the GF would be a good location for you as they have great facilities there but also you're only a monorail ride away from two other hotels, a boat ride from WL and there are two parks in striking distance.

I agree Tink about the location, especially with Magic Kingdom so closeby.

tinks_1989
11-11-2009, 01:32 PM
I think its just worth to say Im stayin there is worth and how smug would you feel when you are at the bus stop at Studios or some where waiting for a Grand Floridian bus I know I would lol I would wave like royalty he he

torsie24
11-11-2009, 02:19 PM
I think its just worth to say Im stayin there is worth and how smug would you feel when you are at the bus stop at Studios or some where waiting for a Grand Floridian bus I know I would lol I would wave like royalty he he
Ahahaha, I love that Leanne.

Urgh, one night late after DHS closing time te bus line for Pop was absolutely massive and went all the way past the AKL stop entrance.

So I said "excuse me" to a big American lady, who just glared at me, so then I said it again and she jsut barked at me "the line for Pop starts back there, and I've been waiting for xx minutes". She was so abrupt that I went "I'm not staying at Pop, I'm trying to get into the Animal Kingdom Lodge line! I felt guilty afterwards about how dirty I'd made the word Pop sound, as it looks a super fun resort, but I was so pee'd off at her I wanted to make her squirm a bit, lol.

tinks_1989
11-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Ahahaha, I love that Leanne.

Urgh, one night late after DHS closing time te bus line for Pop was absolutely massive and went all the way past the AKL stop entrance.

So I said "excuse me" to a big American lady, who just glared at me, so then I said it again and she jsut barked at me "the line for Pop starts back there, and I've been waiting for xx minutes". She was so abrupt that I went "I'm not staying at Pop, I'm trying to get into the Animal Kingdom Lodge line! I felt guilty afterwards about how dirty I'd made the word Pop sound, as it looks a super fun resort, but I was so pee'd off at her I wanted to make her squirm a bit, lol.

lol oh dear

I really want to go to POP to see the huge potato heads :rotfl:

sorry for OTing

Cyrano
11-11-2009, 03:23 PM
Is it worth it?

Apology for being lazy but this is what I would have posted :thumbsup2

tubtruck
11-11-2009, 04:39 PM

Wow thats a bit of a U turn Wayneg, I always thought you were a maximum time cheapest (within reason) kind of a guy. I always thought you would change your mind sooner or later. Obviously those Buisness class tickets had a bit of a lasting effect on you.
Just like my DW, who made sure we booked Business again for this coming summer and the Air Canada is a pretty good deal though probably out of the price range of many.
Like yourself I always thought it was one hell of an expense but came to realise after the Delta biz flights that yes they are if you are lucky enough to be able to afford them a highlight of the holiday rather than the usual fairly unpleasant experience at the back. I would say this too about GF, if you can do it, can afford it go for it, if you cannot then dont.
If it were me and I had the choice between GF and an economy flight or say a mod resort and biz flights I would be in a dilemma. I think in the end I would save up for an extra few weeks, get say a low delux such as the wilderness lodge and the biz flights too. Hopefully though with the DVC we own it wont come to that as our main expense is now the flights rather than the hotel.

wayneg
11-11-2009, 04:49 PM
Wow thats a bit of a U turn Wayneg, I always thought you were a maximum time cheapest (within reason) kind of a guy. I always thought you would change your mind sooner or later. Obviously those Buisness class tickets had a bit of a lasting effect on you.
Just like my DW, who made sure we booked Business again for this coming summer. Like yourself I always thought it was one hell of an expense but came to realise after the Delta that yes they are if you can afford them a highlight of the holiday rather than the usual fairly unpleasant experience at the back.

I have always been happy in economy, can usually sleep most the flight but the whole package of biz class suprised me from the check in with a smile, lounges(never been interested in before) which were very relaxing and welcoming, the welcome onboard with champagne, obviously the extra room but most of all being treated as a human being by the cabin staff, even coming around at the end to thank us all by name for flying with them and not forgetting the superb food, how they produce that 1000's of feet in the air I will never know.
Talking myself into splashing out arn't I :rotfl2:

tubtruck
11-11-2009, 05:04 PM
I have always been happy in economy, can usually sleep most the flight but the whole package of biz class suprised me from the check in with a smile, lounges(never been interested in before) which were very relaxing and welcoming, the welcome onboard with champagne, obviously the extra room but most of all being treated as a human being by the cabin staff, even coming around at the end to thank us all by name for flying with them and not forgetting the superb food, how they produce that 1000's of feet in the air I will never know.
Talking myself into splashing out arn't I :rotfl2:
Go on Wayneg we both now know its worth it. Take a little peek at those flat beds. ;)

higgy66
11-12-2009, 07:34 AM
Just thought I'd add my two pennies worth....

If you can afford it then I would say go for it. I personally can't but what I always do when we book ANY holiday is get the best we possibly can for the money we have allocated to spend on the holiday. i.e I make sure I spend ALL the budget :lmao:

If you have certain criteria that you require on your vacation then these are a priority.

For all my hols I pay extra for day time flights while I have friends who save 's flying in the early hours - not for us.

I've paid extra for a villa next year in Menorca when I could have got a larger one for same price but this villa was the only one I could find with a gate to the private pool - now I can relax knowing the girls can't just walking out of the patio doors and into the pool - worth the extra money to me while they're still young.

It's the little things that can mean a lot to different people.

PChef
11-12-2009, 07:55 AM
Just to put my 2p in...have you considered the Yacht/Beach Club? Beach Club generally has a very family-friendly reputation, cracking pool at Stormalong Bay, easy walking distance of lots of bars in Boardwalk area and Epcot....don't know if pool would be good for Joshua?

We have just booked Beach Club for Oct 2010, first time onsite, got free dining too! I'm a bit excited ...!:cool1:

tubtruck
11-12-2009, 10:15 AM
Just to put my 2p in...have you considered the Yacht/Beach Club? Beach Club generally has a very family-friendly reputation, cracking pool at Stormalong Bay, easy walking distance of lots of bars in Boardwalk area and Epcot....don't know if pool would be good for Joshua?

We have just booked Beach Club for Oct 2010, first time onsite, got free dining too! I'm a bit excited ...!:cool1:

Both very nice though I would have thought a draw for people with a bit older children as near to epcot rather than magic kingdom.

MacUK
11-12-2009, 10:21 AM
We have just booked two nights at the Contemp at the end of our hold in Dec (16/18) and cost was 568 for 2 adults. Tower Room with MK view.

This was through Disney UK which was cheaper than the US site and when we visited in October and went direct to the Contemp (although they could not tell us and gave us a phone number)

JohnnySharp2
11-12-2009, 10:40 AM

Hiya,

Yes we have especially as we have not stayed there before. Like the location, though it's probably our second choice behind Magic Kingdom area.
Main problem with Beach Club is we look at renting points and because of the points rates we would need 96 for 3 nights instead of 78 for Boardwalk, making BWV better value for money but...we have stayed there before.

I actually think we will go to Grand Floridian after all but maybe stay the first night at the Swan or Dolphin, followed by a couple of nights at the GF before moving onto the villa, we shall see. :)

UKDEB
11-12-2009, 06:32 PM
I'm in total agreement with Frances. If you're going to splash out for GF, you need to be in the main building, otherwise you're going to feel cheated. On top of that, knowing you feel the same way I do, unless the rooms are refurbished before your stay, you're also going to feel that you've paid over the odds. For that reason, don't rule out the Contemporary or Bay Lake Tower - they're recently refurbished/brand new respectively and there's a lot to be said for that. Also, the bar at The Wave is absolutely ideal for your solo sojourns. It's adult in a way that Disney has not previously done well and I know you'd love it.

JohnnySharp2
11-13-2009, 02:30 AM
I'm in total agreement with Frances. If you're going to splash out for GF, you need to be in the main building, otherwise you're going to feel cheated. On top of that, knowing you feel the same way I do, unless the rooms are refurbished before your stay, you're also going to feel that you've paid over the odds. For that reason, don't rule out the Contemporary or Bay Lake Tower - they're recently refurbished/brand new respectively and there's a lot to be said for that. Also, the bar at The Wave is absolutely ideal for your solo sojourns. It's adult in a way that Disney has not previously done well and I know you'd love it.

Thanks Deb, yes we feel the same way about the rooms and that is always a worry. I have had a lot of good information on this thread, and naturally always listen to what everyone has to say - and would be daft not reading what you and Frances have said also. ;)
It's trying to get the right balance for eveything, kitchen facilities and new rooms are obviously a plus point. Just I am sure for Julie's benefit if we stayed at the GF she would go out, walk over to the Polynesian and she is just unsure whether that would happen at BLT. Strange though that may sound. However, it is just a short monorail ride away so there is no reason we all cannot enjoy BLT/GF and the Poly too.
No-one could argue the GF looks fab, well we think it does, room-wise like you say until you get in there you just don't know, as we have both found with BWV & BCV.

I genuinely, like you do, think newer the better but we just cannot warm to the decor at BLT - can't really put it into words but as I have said location is pefect and that extra room/kitchen a real plus point for us.
I have never been to The Wave but having spent an absolute age searching around (and still not made our minds up), I am aware it exists, which previously I was not. :)

More thinking to do - sorry this thread has gone on for so long, just I always try and thank any feedback given.

UKDEB
11-13-2009, 03:17 AM
Have you checked out the interactive views on the dedicated BLT site (http://dvc.disney.go.com/dvc/miniSite/index?name=CrystalMiniSitePage)?

And more good photos here (http://www.baylaketower.net/) and here (http://land.allears.net/blogs/jackspence/walt_disney_world/resorts/bay_lake_tower/).

Elise79
11-13-2009, 04:09 AM
Can I just add that the rooms at BLT are a lot nicer in person than the photos.

We visited the actual rooms in BLT in September and they are really very nice but if they are not to your taste - fair enough. I understand that as you couldn't get me to stay at the Poly.

Just to add when we were at the GF for dinner in September they were refurbing the Lobby area and it was a mess. I don't know how long that is going to take as they are putting in a new tiled floor that is very detailed. It will look stunning when it is finished :goodvibes

JohnnySharp2
11-13-2009, 04:45 AM
Have you checked out the interactive views on the dedicated BLT site (http://dvc.disney.go.com/dvc/miniSite/index?name=CrystalMiniSitePage)?

And more good photos here (http://www.baylaketower.net/) and here (http://land.allears.net/blogs/jackspence/walt_disney_world/resorts/bay_lake_tower/).

Hi, thanks we have seen the interactive views yes, I will check the other links too - thanks.

To be honest I am happy to stay at BLT and can see the positives as we talked about earlier but I think Julie has her heart set on GF, I would be happy with either really.

I think she would always think when we went pass the GF on the monorail "I wish we were staying there", and the restuarants do suit Joshua also, something that we can rarely say about any hotel, especially with Polynesian next door too. Though you could balance that out with the kitchen facilities at BLT.

Wil let you know what we decide, though I suspect that won't be soon! :lmao:

VailaTigger
11-13-2009, 07:38 AM
If the money is in the budget, then I say go for it.

We have had similar discussions about "justifying" the whole holiday to WDW, not just a few nights of it. ;) (And we're staying in the cheap seats at POP!) We came to the conclusion that we're going to do things now, while we can (physically and financially), and while the kids will get lots out of it.

You can't take your money with you, you only get one go at this, and even if it is crippling you financially (which it's doing to us just now), as long as your head is above water, then you're fine. :thumbsup2

If the GF is somewhere your whole family will enjoy, then I would go for it. Or compromise a little on your 2nd choice (BW?) Same sort of facilities but a little cheaper perhaps? If you didn't get the chance to go to WDW again (for whatever reason) would you regret not staying at GF?

Let us know what you finally decide! :hug:

JohnnySharp2
11-13-2009, 09:16 AM
If the GF is somewhere your whole family will enjoy, then I would go for it. Or compromise a little on your 2nd choice (BW?) Same sort of facilities but a little cheaper perhaps? If you didn't get the chance to go to WDW again (for whatever reason) would you regret not staying at GF?

Let us know what you finally decide! :hug:

I think we want to stay at the Grand Floridian, but without compromising Joshua's need too much. Which is where a DVC resort comes in.

To be honest I am happy with any of our possible choices as wherever we stay I can't lose, whether it's the bars around the Swan & Dolphin, ESPN club or the lounges, bar areas around the MK deluxe/DVC resorts - whichever way we do it I am getting something out of it.
It's probably up to Julie to decide.
Don't worry I will let you all know - it's like a Coronation Street cliffhanger this 'un. :thumbsup2

disneyholic family
11-13-2009, 09:29 AM
i'm a bit late getting on board this thread...

as i've said countless times, my #1 favorite disney resort is the GF....(second favorite is the WL)...

i've stayed at the GF in regular rooms, in the sugar loaf concierge (if that's the name - i can't remember any more) and several times in the royal palm club concierge (main building)..

though i prefer the main building and the RPC concierge, i've also enjoyed staying in the 'cheap seats' there...

as i recall, a 'cheap' room was about $500 (rack rate) and the RPC concierge upwards of $650 (rack)......it's probably more than that now, as i haven't stayed there for a few years...

i know there are people who don't like the GF, but i love it....we've always found the service to be outstanding..

and while people accuse it of being stuffy (i've never found that to be the case - quite the opposite in fact), it's the only disney resort that i'm aware of that has a 24 hour food court....pretty cool for a deluxe establishment..
and the people who work in the food court are sooooooooooo nice...
but i've always found all the staff at the GF to be really friendly, smiley and nice....always saying hi, how are you - to me... and giving me a big smile...i really love that..

as for whether it's worth the money....no....probably not....is anything worth that much money?????????? no....
and in truth, the last time i was at WDW with just DD, we stayed at the all star music - and really enjoyed it a LOT...everyone was friendly there too...

so i can't say that it's worth the money....but i do very much enjoy staying there...

i forgot to mention a really nice guy who works there - assuming he's still there..
a waiter in private dining (room service)....i think his name is Howard....not sure...he's been there 15 years or so...anyway, he is such a nice nice nice nice guy...really nice...he really made our stay one time...

anyway...we enjoy it there....and being able to pop over to the MK on the monorail or by little boat is also really nice..

but it is expensive....no question about it....and i suppose we were nuts for shelling out that much cash.....but the wonderful memories are worth it....

Laurafoster
11-13-2009, 12:16 PM
We have only stayed in the GF for 1 night but we loved it! It was after our wedding and we were offered "1 free night in any Disney Hotel" so i thought well might aswell try the most expensive! We were very fortunate and were given a turret room in the main building (concierge room i think). I know we were treated really well as it was our honeymoon but the service was second to none and we thoroughly enjoyed our "day" there. As we only had the one day there we spent some time in the pools and around the hotel and i honestly loved the feel of the place. Really relaxed but still had a Disney feel to it without being overly so.

We also stayed at both the BWV and the BCV in May this year and my first idea was that BWV were cheaper so i should have stayed there. When i was at the BWV i was disappointed - the room was a bit shappy - broken doors, broken light and generally in need of a refurb. The service was ok - just ok not anything special. By comparison the service at the BCV was brilliant, staff were really friendly and helpful as most are in Disney. The room we had was immaculate and only a 5 minute walk to Epcot - ideal for us as we like to pop over for a few hours in the evening. The pools were lovely and always pretty quiet. If the 2 were the same points it would be no contest - BCV all the time.

ohana7
11-13-2009, 02:06 PM
we wanted to stay in the GF for a long time, when we did go there it had been booked by a post office convention. They moved chairs from the rooms into the public areas and spent the time drinking and talking very loudly. This spoilt the experience for us. Also we have two boys with autism, they didnt find the resort two confortable (they are quite loud and can spin/flap)we were more obvious here than any other resort we have stayed in. Hope this helps.

jockey
11-13-2009, 02:09 PM
I have stayed in many rooms at the GF including garden view, I feel that you are treated the same no matter if you are staying in the main building or GV. Yes it is nice to relax in the evening and listen to the band in the concierge lounge but hey you can go sit in Mizners lounge and get the same feeling. It is a lot more expensive to stay in the main building than the outer lodges,, we had a garden view room in Conch key last year, it was 1 minute from the boat dock and 1 minute from Narcoossees it was ideal, the room had beautiful views too

If you do stay at the GF the private dining it fab :thumbsup2, it's been good for us as the kids have been so tired some days after the parks :thumbsup2

JohnnySharp2
11-13-2009, 03:04 PM
Thanks everyone who has responded. Have taken all the advice on board and decided to stay at Portofino Bay................

....Just joking, I think it's a showdown between BLT and GF. Though I suspect it may take a while to decide, if we do see a decent $ per point rate we may plump for the former. May see this thread run on till Christmas yet.

Frances999
11-13-2009, 03:09 PM
I have stayed in many rooms at the GF including garden view, I feel that you are treated the same no matter if you are staying in the main building or GV.
Are you kidding me? The concierge CMs are incredible and go way above and beyond what the front desk CMs will do. We loved the in-room check-in, the extremely personalized service and the concierge treats. Also the fact they are right there on hand - not in another building a 5 minute walk-away. Also the fact they could get us last minute reservations that there is no chance we would have got from the front desk concierge.

I have to disagree with you; from our experiences you are truly treated like royalty at the Royal Palm Club whereas the regular GF service is no different from any other Deluxe Resort Disney CM experience. It's also no fun trekking through the rain to get back to your room, especially when you're in one of the further lodges....

disneyholic family
11-14-2009, 03:09 AM
Are you kidding me? The concierge CMs are incredible and go way above and beyond what the front desk CMs will do. We loved the in-room check-in, the extremely personalized service and the concierge treats. Also the fact they are right there on hand - not in another building a 5 minute walk-away. Also the fact they could get us last minute reservations that there is no chance we would have got from the front desk concierge.

I have to disagree with you; from our experiences you are truly treated like royalty at the Royal Palm Club whereas the regular GF service is no different from any other Deluxe Resort Disney CM experience. It's also no fun trekking through the rain to get back to your room, especially when you're in one of the further lodges....

i agree! the RPC concierge service is outstanding!!

the food in the lounge was nothing to write home about, but the CMs were excellent!
they also were able to get us reservations that couldn't be had any other way. We were always amazed by that.
We've stayed in every concierge at WDW and DL, as well as the Portofino Bay at universal - of all of them, the CMs at the GF were the best.

(and by the way, since Portofino Bay was mentioned, i'll add that we HATED it there. Thought the concierge service was the worst we had in any hotel ever).

But, while we adore the RPC (and our castle view room there), we also enjoyed staying at regular rooms in the GF (though it's a very different experience).
And i agree, that private dining at the GF is excellent. We've used them quite a lot and we were always very pleased with their service.

TinkTatoo
11-14-2009, 03:46 AM
Thanks everyone who has responded. Have taken all the advice on board and decided to stay at Portofino Bay................

....Just joking, I think it's a showdown between BLT and GF. Though I suspect it may take a while to decide, if we do see a decent $ per point rate we may plump for the former. May see this thread run on till Christmas yet.

LOL Johnny

I know that you're not sold on the feel and decor at BLT or the Contemporary but don't write either of those off. We were at BLT in the summer and at the Contemporary in October and one of the things I love about these two resorts are the amazing views. DS was sick in October and I spent the day in the room with him while he slept most of the day. In another resort might have driven me stir crazy after a while but at CR I was able to relax out on the balcony and just watch life go by taking in the ever changing view.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a16/Irish-Tink/DSCF1484.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a16/Irish-Tink/DSCF1483.jpg

If you picked CR and splashed out on the Atrium club you could enjoy a glass of wine or a "cordial" (I'm sorry but that always make me think of a glass of Robinsons orange squash rather than a Liqueur :rotfl: ) and chat to some of the other guests in the lounge. Plus if Julie was looking after Josh but fancied something she could just nip down to the lounge to get it. I was able to get a coffee or a cold drink during the day when I was looking after DS

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a16/Irish-Tink/DSCF1478.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a16/Irish-Tink/DSCF1476.jpg

Anyway, just something else to add to your turmoil :goodvibes

JohnnySharp2
11-14-2009, 04:00 AM
Thanks Tink and everyone else.

Kind of swayed by what Deb said really, loved the Grand Floridian when we had a walk around and to a slightly less degree the Polynesian also.
However, having a larger 'villa type' room, close to Magic Kingdom and with full kitchen just isn't to be beaten really.

We would have a slight 'concern' about how nice the room is at either the GF or Poly, and we would know for sure at BLT it would be spacious and new.
At the end of the day also more room for Joshua, and it's not as if we cannot go for a look around the Grand Floridian or a character breakfast at Ohana's as they are just a short monorail ride away. We can after all 'use' ALL the resorts, apart from the pools.

In addition if we can rent points off someone, BLT will actually work out cheaper, even at $10 per point (based upon the quotes we have had on the other 2 resorts).
I have never liked the 'look' of the Contemporary area, but for practicality & value I think if we are able to book it is the right choice. That extra room/kitchen with Joshua's needs, and dislike of restaurants, in mind is the clincher really.
And with the likes of shops, cafe's, Chef Mickeys' and The Wave, plus the rooftop bar thingy type place we have what we need close at hand - with 1900 Park Fare and others closeby too.

So will keep an eye on the rent/trade board, I suspect we might have to wait for the 7 month window dates, adn obviously taking a chance on availability.

Thanks for the reponses everyone.

disneyholic family
11-14-2009, 08:00 AM
Thanks Tink and everyone else.

Kind of swayed by what Deb said really, loved the Grand Floridian when we had a walk around and to a slightly less degree the Polynesian also.
However, having a larger 'villa type' room, close to Magic Kingdom and with full kitchen just isn't to be beaten really.

We would have a slight 'concern' about how nice the room is at either the GF or Poly, and we would know for sure at BLT it would be spacious and new.
At the end of the day also more room for Joshua, and it's not as if we cannot go for a look around the Grand Floridian or a character breakfast at Ohana's as they are just a short monorail ride away. We can after all 'use' ALL the resorts, apart from the pools.

In addition if we can rent points off someone, BLT will actually work out cheaper, even at $10 per point (based upon the quotes we have had on the other 2 resorts).
I have never liked the 'look' of the Contemporary area, but for practicality & value I think if we are able to book it is the right choice. That extra room/kitchen with Joshua's needs, and dislike of restaurants, in mind is the clincher really.
And with the likes of shops, cafe's, Chef Mickeys' and The Wave, plus the rooftop bar thingy type place we have what we need close at hand - with 1900 Park Fare and others closeby too.

So will keep an eye on the rent/trade board, I suspect we might have to wait for the 7 month window dates, adn obviously taking a chance on availability.

Thanks for the reponses everyone.

sounds like a good plan!! :goodvibes
i don't like CR either, but combining the advantages of a DVC property with the convenience of proximity to the MK (when we stay at the CR, we usually walk to the MK) definitely sounds good to me.....

are you looking at a 1 BR? how much would that run when renting points?

BLT certainly looks like a nice place to stay...

JohnnySharp2
11-14-2009, 08:35 AM
sounds like a good plan!! :goodvibes
i don't like CR either, but combining the advantages of a DVC property with the convenience of proximity to the MK (when we stay at the CR, we usually walk to the MK) definitely sounds good to me.....

are you looking at a 1 BR? how much would that run when renting points?

BLT certainly looks like a nice place to stay...

Defintely great location.

As we are booked into the villa for 13 nights, we did originally plan 12 there - we are looking at BLT for three. Need 93 points for standard view, so I guess depends on the $ per point we get, $10 = $930 etc etc

Even at 10 it works out better value than either the GF or Poly. Will see if I can get $9 though.

disneyholic family
11-14-2009, 09:11 AM
Defintely great location.

As we are booked into the villa for 13 nights, we did originally plan 12 there - we are looking at BLT for three. Need 93 points for standard view, so I guess depends on the $ per point we get, $10 = $930 etc etc

Even at 10 it works out better value than either the GF or Poly. Will see if I can get $9 though.

is that for a 1 bedroom or a studio?

i'm not at all familiar with the BLT pricing - although i assume when paying cash it's pretty expensive, given that it's new and has a great location!

does Joshua like to fish?

have you ever tried one of the guided fishing excursions? one of the places they can pick you up is right at the CR dock...
it's for 2 hours....really superb fishing, if you're into that...
i never fished, just watched the kids having a nice time..
i don't know if your son would like something like that or not, but if he would it's really nice..
and the guides are wonderful...
they'll do as much or as little of the work as you want...
that is, they'll bait the hook for you and all you do is hold the pole if you want...
when the kids were younger, that's pretty much all they wanted to do..hold the pole...as they got older, they also baited the hook,....but the guide will do everything...
it's really a pleasant way to spend a few hours on the water....

but i don't know if Joshua would be interested in it....but if he would be, it's really nice to do...
and it's just your family - you don't share the boat with anyone....