PDA

View Full Version : Swine Flu Vaccine?

oceanscape
11-05-2009, 04:12 PM
Does anyone know why ALL residents of other countries (USA/Canada to name just two) are getting the vaccine, yet here in the UK only those who fall into the "at risk" categories are being offered it? A budget issue? :confused3

irisheyes123
11-05-2009, 04:33 PM
Its the same here in Ireland only the at risk get it I got my vaccine yesterday and I asked why this is was told they don't have enough vaccines and hope to have enough by the new year to do everyone its crazy....

oceanscape
11-05-2009, 04:43 PM
Its the same here in Ireland only the at risk get it I got my vaccine yesterday and I asked why this is was told they don't have enough vaccines and hope to have enough by the new year to do everyone its crazy....
IMO, it's an absolute disgrace we are so far behind other countries :mad:

mikki.young
11-05-2009, 05:09 PM
In some countries you have to pay for the vaccine. Here it it can be free. My dh was given it yesterday at same time as yearly flu vaccine.

Why give it to everyone if everyone does not need it? I hate putting more medicines in my body than I have to.

T16GEM
11-05-2009, 05:09 PM
our surgery has 11000 patients and is being allocated 500 shots, this is approx 4% of the patients. :(

oceanscape
11-05-2009, 05:23 PM
In some countries you have to pay for the vaccine. Here it it can be free. My dh was given it yesterday at same time as yearly flu vaccine.

Why give it to everyone if everyone does not need it? I hate putting more medicines in my body than I have to.
Everyone should be given a choice. I'm not exactly a fan of putting more medicines into my body than I have to, but if it's a toss up between that and getting swine flu, obviously I'd prefer the vaccination. Same for my children. We are charged for flu vaccines (what is it, 15?) - and for prescriptions. No reason why we can't be charged for the swine flu vaccine, we should be given a choice. Your argument regarding other countries having to pay is slightly flawed, since they don't have a state healthcare system: we pay significantly higher taxation for the benefit of the NHS.

rpbert1
11-05-2009, 05:26 PM
My Dw and DS got theirs tonight, and anyone else who lives in the house can get it as well if they want.
As for US and canada, like PP said they will be happy to give it to anyone if you want to pay for it.I am sure those that do not have enough money to pay for it in these countries will not get it

MerissaAndMomLoveDis
11-05-2009, 05:36 PM
I thought it might make you feel better to know that not everyone has the opportunity to get the swine flu vaccine here in the US either. In Dallas County Texas, the county health department only received a little more than 10,000 doses. Those were rationed to children with underlying medical conditions who did not have health insurance first, then pregnant women without health insurance, then there were some other categories. At the county health department the shots are free if you qualify. I believe about 200,000 doses went directly to private doctors offices in Dallas County. You pay for those--I think it cost me $10 to get a regular flu shot last year. That is not a lot of availablility when you consider that there are 2.4 million people in Dallas County, Texas--the ninth most populous county in the United States.

catherine
11-06-2009, 02:00 AM
I'm a nurse and we're being offered the vaccine and non of the health professionals that I work with are getting it!

natalielongstaff
11-06-2009, 02:22 AM
im not sure i would want it TBH :sad2: the whole thing seems a bit panicked to me !

Laurafoster
11-06-2009, 02:42 AM
im not sure i would want it TBH :sad2: the whole thing seems a bit panicked to me !

I agree. My mum works at a doctors surgery and all of the staff there have opted not to have it - speaks volumes.

scottish mum
11-06-2009, 03:25 AM
I'm a nurse and we're being offered the vaccine and non of the health professionals that I work with are getting it!

Thats what I'm worried about, my 8yr old son can get it BUT I'm not sure if I will let him have it. There seems to be many conflicting reasons for and against it I'm just so confused. He does get the regular flu jag every tear but this one just seems to have been rushed through

thelittlemermaid83
11-06-2009, 04:38 AM
I personally don't see the point in the vaccine because if the virus mutates then a stronger vaccine has to be made so the last vaccine would be pointless.

If offered the vaccine i don't want it, not sure if i will let Kyra have it yet either.

tennisfan
11-06-2009, 06:01 AM
I personally don't see the point in the vaccine because if the virus mutates then a stronger vaccine has to be made so the last vaccine would be pointless.

If offered the vaccine i don't want it, not sure if i will let Kyra have it yet either.

Totally agree:thumbsup2

OP: I think the plan is to vaccinate front line staff (Health care etc), at risk groups & then other members of the public were going to be issued it:confused3

Having said that, I work for the ambulance service & can get that & the seasonal flu jab if I want. I don't. I also know many aren't going to have it either. Not because we are frightened about the lack of testing (just like seasonal flu jabs as the strain changes every year) but because I don't see the point, i'm exposed to a lot in my line of work. Many who have been told they have swine flu don't know for sure as they have stopped testing people for it, so what is the point of prescribing Tamiflu:confused3 again it runs the risk of creating a drug resistant form.

I don't think the vaccine is any more unsafe then the seasonal flu vaccine.

The whole thing has been hyped up by the media, yes people have died from it majority had underlying issues but thousands die from seasonal flu. Its nothing new. I respect everyone's decisions as everyone is different. What I have stated is my opinion.

I'll get off my soap box now;)

Laurafoster
11-06-2009, 09:22 AM
Now if they were able to invent a jab for man flu - i'd be all for sending DH for that :)

Head_in_the_clouds
11-06-2009, 09:26 AM
I will entitled to it as I have a heart condition but I'm not having it and neither are any of my family and they are all health professionals, they are concerned that it has been formulated in a hurry.

I was due to get my seasonal flu jab last week and I was refused it when I turned up because my glands were swollen and the nurse said the vaccine could make me extremely poorly and I wouldn't be able to fight off even the small dose that they give in the vaccine. I found that pretty scary tbh!

CHEK
11-06-2009, 11:42 AM
I also work for the NHS, and have been offered the jab, but haven't taken the offer up yet.....& not sure if I will???

binkytell
11-06-2009, 11:47 AM
another nhs worker here not taking it up:sad2:

natalielongstaff
11-06-2009, 12:13 PM
I also work for the NHS, and have been offered the jab, but haven't taken the offer up yet.....& not sure if I will???

another nhs worker here not taking it up:sad2:

That speaks volumes !

PoppyAnna
11-06-2009, 12:17 PM

::yes::

::yes::

DH is able to have it and he has to call the surgery on Monday to make an apointment for the first dose (of two). For him we are all for it. TBH I would prefer to take the risk of my girls getting swine flu rather than give them the jab. It's my opinion that the illness just isn't serious enough if "otherwise healthy" people get it, unlike measles, mumps and rubella. If feel very sorry for those that have lost loved ones to swine flu but most of them have had other health issues, most people that contract it go on to make a full recovery.

mushumadness
11-06-2009, 12:39 PM
im having mine on wednesday as I come into the at risk

wondering when they will call up the kids

wideeyes
11-06-2009, 03:11 PM
I wouldn't want it anyway.

TotallyAngelic
11-07-2009, 05:29 AM

In our hospital the health professionals have been offered it but not many are taking up on the offer - some of those who have had it have felt quite unwell sfter having it. I am not planning on having it myself.

strawberry blonde
11-07-2009, 10:21 AM
I've just finished the 1st week in my new job as a Doctor's Receptionist and both Doctor's have said they would like us all to have the Swine Flu jab on Monday. It's our choice but I'm not sure what to do.

T16GEM
11-08-2009, 06:42 AM
Now if they were able to invent a jab for man flu - i'd be all for sending DH for that :)

:lmao: Me too!

I don't think any of us will be having it. We have a lot of customers who are doctors and they have nearly all said that they won't be having it.
I am worried about the future side effects of it TBH, especially in the children, so I don't think I would want them to have it either. I am just making sure that we all wash our hands more often, and try and stop the kids from touching door handles etc - Shelby is already in the habit of pulling her sleeve over her hand to open doors or using a tissue to cover her hand so that seems to be working! It's rather comical to see a 4year old doing that though :rotfl:

buzz for boys
11-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Can I ask why people in the know are not taking it??
My ds is 8 and at risk so we have been offered it and strongly urged to take it !! I will never frogive myself if he doesnt have it and gets swine flu as he has little immune system to fight it !! But then i worry that its not exactly been tested and that will do more harm than good any opinions would be helpful as my gp and consultant are towing the government line !!
Louise x

hildasmuriel
11-08-2009, 01:38 PM
I have lots of mixed feelings about this. So many people I work with have been diagnosed with swine 'flu and treated with Tamiflu - but none of them have been tested or even seen by a healthcare professional. All they had to do was phone a helpline, name 4 or 5 symptoms and they are told they have swine 'flu and given the tablets. Without exception they have all felt better within 2 or 3 days (although they are not allowed back to work for a week - that is the official advice for school staff) - so either they didn't have swine 'flu in the first place or it is a very mild form of 'flu.

I think the Health Dept have no real idea of how many genuine cases of SF there have been. It certainly doesn't sound bad enough to warrant me having a vaccination that has been produced in a hurry.

I understand it would be a totally different case for someone with underlying health conditions, but for people with 'normal' health, I understand why the NHS is not providing vaccines for all. I bet more than 50% of people wouldn't take it up anyway.

Laurafoster
11-08-2009, 01:46 PM
From the people i have spoken to the reason why they are not having it is because as far as they are concerned an otherwise healthy individual should be able to fight it off. That being said if your in a "high risk" group and being offered a vaccine you would need to discuss with a professional, all cases are unique and whilst one person may be able to fight it off others may not. Same with normal flu - it kills thousands every year it just depends on how your immune system copes with it.

Flu affects everyone differently, some people get it really bad, i have known people to be in bed for several weeks with the flu and others who are just ill for a week so i imagine swine flu can be the same.

tennisfan
11-08-2009, 05:00 PM
Can I ask why people in the know are not taking it??
My ds is 8 and at risk so we have been offered it and strongly urged to take it !! I will never frogive myself if he doesnt have it and gets swine flu as he has little immune system to fight it !! But then i worry that its not exactly been tested and that will do more harm than good any opinions would be helpful as my gp and consultant are towing the government line !!
Louise x

I work for the NHS but have decided against having it, not because I think its not been tested enough but because I don't feel the need to have it. I feel i'm exposed to far worse in my job.

The whole thing has been hyped up, I may be swayed towards getting it if the swine flu test had continued but they stopped. I find it very hard to believe that the numbers being thrown about actually had swine flu.

To me its flu & for me that is not enough for me to have another vaccination (I have had to have several for my job). I don't even bother with the flu vaccination

Its a personal choice, i'm not in the at risk catagory either which makes it easier for my decision

ukstitch
11-08-2009, 06:34 PM
My uncle works directly on the wards (particularly paediatric) at one of the major hospitals in the area (and has done for a few years now) and passed on some information that made me consider having the jab if I was offered it (this was after we suggested it wasn't worth having the jab because it seems to me to have been no worse than seasonal flu so far).

Apparently, it's pretty rare for them to see people seriously ill and hospitalised in the wards he works on with ordinary seasonal flu. However, they are apparently seeing a significantly larger proportion of people with swine flu being brought in.

So - while for a lot of people, swine flu may be no worse than seasonal flu, it seems to be that it can become worse than the seasonal flu in some cases. Of course - as we get closer to winter, it's likely to spread and the proportion of major cases is likely to increase even further.

So - I'm quite tempted to take the jab as a precaution. I hate needles, but three years ago I ended up with pneumonia after a flu like illness and it was horrid - I was on antibiotics for 4 weeks, couldn't go to university for a couple of those and in general pain even when simply trying to breath at the worst of it. I take my chances and don't have the normal flu jab (I probably should have it if I'm honest) but if swine flu can be worse, I don't think I want to chance it.

MandyJane
11-08-2009, 07:12 PM
I had my swine flu jab 2 days ago as I come in the 'at risk catagory'.I was a bit nervous about having it as there has been so much controversy about it, but in the end I decided it was the right thing to do to prevent myself from potential serious complications if I caught it.

buzz for boys
11-09-2009, 08:30 AM
Thanks all !! for the moment we are not giving the jab to ds we are playing a waiting game to see what actually happens I agree that there are no official numbers as few peopel actually have the swabs taken now me and dh have decided we will review our decision if and when a confirmed case is in cams school but as he has a history of reactions to vaccines we are holding off for now - fingers crossed we wont regret that decision !!

PoppyAnna
11-10-2009, 06:45 AM
I had my swine flu jab 2 days ago as I come in the 'at risk catagory'.I was a bit nervous about having it as there has been so much controversy about it, but in the end I decided it was the right thing to do to prevent myself from potential serious complications if I caught it.

Good for you:thumbsup2 Have you been well since?
DH (at risk status) is having the first of two doses today, I'm still worried though:upsidedow

MandyJane
11-10-2009, 12:37 PM
I had a sore arm which felt heavy and achey for 2 days and then quite a bad headache the next day but that might have had nothing to do with the jab, anyway now i feel fine and am totally relieved about the whole thing.Hope you DH will feel the same as me and feel that it was worth having it for peace of mind.

disneyholic family
11-17-2009, 05:28 AM
i was completely against getting the swine flu shot - especially since i had a very bad reaction to the seasonal flu shot i got a month ago (i got suspected guillain barre from it)..

but now things are really taking a turn for the worse here - i live in Israel...

the death rate from swine flu has really jumped up....
the authorities are becoming really concerned about it, especially since so few people have been vaccinated.
Only at risk people are entitled to be vaccinated right now (not enough vaccine has reached the country yet - only 350,000 doses are currently available, but only 11,000 people have been vaccinated since everyone is so afraid of the vaccine).

But the death rate here is now way above the death rate for seasonal flu, so now i really don't know what to do.

I called DS last night and told him i really think he should go in today to get it.
Three years ago, he had complications from the regular seasonal flu. He got myocarditis and was hospitalized for a week (he was 19 years old at the time and perfectly healthy other than the flu).
Several other people died at the same time from the same complication of that seasonal flu.
So DH and i discussed it last night and felt that the risk of the vaccine was worth it, versus the possible outcome of the flu itself.

but i don't know what to do for myself.

A former work colleague of mine is in the hospital right now with swine flu induced pneumonia. He's 35 years old. He was in intensive care, but now seems to be doing better. But several 'healthy' people have died here in the last 3 days, so it's getting really scary.

So i really don't know what to do.

in the US, they keep saying that the death rate is lower than for seasonal flu, so i wonder why it's higher here (in Israel)....
one would assume it's the same flu both places...
medical care is certainly no worse here than in the US....
maybe in the US they're not counting all of the flu-related deaths?....
maybe some deaths are being attributed to other things, when it was really the flu that caused it?...
maybe they're over-counting here? or under-counting those who are sick but don't end up with complications?

anyway, i'm starting to get really nervous about it...

strawberry blonde
11-17-2009, 09:33 AM
I had mine at work last Monday with all my other collegues. I felt a bit rough for two days and very very tired. Luckily I wasn't back at work until Wed afternoon. Infact my son came in from school on the Tuesday and woke me up as I was asleep on the sofa.
Saying that, I seemed to be the only one who had any side effects other than a sore arm.

disneyholic family
11-18-2009, 05:46 PM
went to see my internist today.

He was vaccinated against the swine flu vaccine and strongly recommends everyone get it as soon as they're entitled.

He said that this is the worst flu he's ever seen in his career (he's 55 years old).
he's already had several patients who had to be hospitalized in intensive care, in very serious life-threatening conditions.

unfortunately, i don't qualify for the vaccine yet. I"ll only be able to get it in december. But as soon as i can, i'll be rolling up my sleeve.

catherine
11-19-2009, 01:54 AM

A week or two ago I posted the above. However since I posted this I and several of my colleagues have relented and had the Swine Flu vaccine. I decided to go ahead and get it after doing some more research and because I'm flying to Orlando on the 1st Dec and I figured that all it took was one person on that flight to have Swine Flu and we could all be at risk. In addition DH got his on Mon. so if he was going to have immunity and we as a family caught it, then I didn't want him to be the one taking care of the rest of us!

Obi Wan Kenobi
11-19-2009, 02:57 AM
Had my jab on Saturday, still here. :goodvibes
Only sort of side effect is that my shoulder where they jabbed me has been very sore for about four days (the two nurses had exactly the same symptoms) felt like I had been beaton up in the arm

wayneg
11-19-2009, 05:46 AM
Matt came home from school yesterday not well, slept about 3 hours, went on NHS site and it prescribed Tamiflu, started the course before he went to bed, up lots of times thru the night.

disneyholic family
11-19-2009, 07:51 AM
Matt came home from school yesterday not well, slept about 3 hours, went on NHS site and it prescribed Tamiflu, started the course before he went to bed, up lots of times thru the night.

So sorry to hear Matt's not feeling well.

i hope he feels better soon Wayne!!

tennisfan
11-19-2009, 07:59 AM
Sorry to hear Matt's not well, hope he feels better soon:hug:

We thought my mum had it last week but she has a severe chest infection/possibly pneumonia again (had chest x ray waiting for results), she had all the symptoms for swine flu so it proves that many are being told they have it when the chances are they don't.

My mum always has the seasonal flu vaccine & is always ill with flu after so we have finally convinced her to miss it next year. She will end up ill either way:confused3

pandajess
11-19-2009, 09:07 AM
my family and i, all fell in the at rick, we all had are jabs yesterday and are all complaning of a sore arm and it feeling heavy must be a commen side effect, but we are all releved that we where able to have are jabs done, although it was a big disision.

scottish mum
11-19-2009, 09:23 AM
After much deliberation I finally took liam for his swine flu jag today. he also got his seasonal jag too. He was so brave and said thank you to the nurse afterwards :rotfl:. Liam has asthma quite bad and we just decided that any reaction to the jag is probably going to be less than if he got swine flu. Fingers crossed that we have done the right thing.

He said that his arm was a bit sore but we gave him calpol and wa sadvised to give it to hime regularly today and tomorrow. He has to have another dose in 3 weeks as he is only 8

disneyholic family
11-19-2009, 09:42 AM
a friend of mine is a nurse in a pediatric hospital.
she agreed to have it after she saw all the doctors getting the vaccine.
But her head nurse refused it and is now very very ill with swine flu.

Wish i could get it....a few more weeks....

malibuconlee
11-19-2009, 10:18 AM
My Dw and DS got theirs tonight, and anyone else who lives in the house can get it as well if they want.
As for US and canada, like PP said they will be happy to give it to anyone if you want to pay for it.I am sure those that do not have enough money to pay for it in these countries will not get it

Just wanted to say this is not the case. We have private insurance thru DH's employer. While my ped did have the H1N1 vaccine on Tuesday when we were there they did not have the dosage for under 2 patients for seasonal flu for private pay insurance. They did however have it for patients under 2 with Medicaid/CHIPs insurance. This is the government insurance for low income. Apparently the government bought vaccines for the patients they insure and passed those out to doctors. The rest of us have to depend on the number of vaccines the doctors purchase/manage to purchase to vaccinate.

As far as cost to us, I'm not sure if it's covered under our insurance or not. Will have to wait for them to my insurance company and wait and see what our charge is.

PoppyAnna
11-19-2009, 11:20 AM
I've just heard on the radio that the NHS is going to "offer" the Swine Flu vaccine to children between 6months and 5years of age. I for one will not be giving it to my 4 yo DD. DH was quite unwell for three days after he had his last week. My DD is a healthy child with no underlying health problems and as far as I'm concerned will not be in a life threatening state if she catches swine flu.

PoppyAnna
11-19-2009, 11:23 AM

Sorry to hear Matt is not well Wayne.
Wishing him a speedy recovery.

disneyholic family
11-20-2009, 03:42 PM
too late - i think i have it... :sick:
why do i ALWAYS get sick on the weekend???????????????????????????

i have every symptom now, but the high fever....which feels as if it's starting to build up...

i'm not happy - especially since i'm probably going to expose everyone else in the house as well - and none of them have been vaccinated yet either..

i'm so annoyed....so many people who were entitled to be vaccinated didn't go...
and those of us who wanted to be, weren't permitted.... :sad2:

and now i just read an article that in norway, they've found 3 cases - 2 patients who died and one who is gravely ill, with a mutated and much more dangerous form of swine flu... although they claim that the vaccination is good for that form as well...

perhaps the mutation is the explanation for the sudden increase in deaths where i live...

so i'll be honest....i'm quite worried right now.. :eek:

i'm hoping it's just the 'good' old common cold....though it probably isn't....

i've always hated pigs...now i know why...

Wayne, how's Matt doing? feeling any better?

thelittlemermaid83
11-20-2009, 03:50 PM
When i saw my GP today i asked him a few questions about the SF injection, he did say if a newer strain comes along then the first vaccine will be useless, but he strongly advised me to give DD the vaccine as its better to be safe than sorry esp as under 5's are most at risk.

He had recently had his and i asked him if he had any side effects and he said his arm ached abit but that was it. I also asked if the ingredients in the vaccine were componants of the SF (this is what worried me most as i dont want to inject DD with the virus) and he said no.

I need to think about it a bit more about what to do, but i'm leaning towards letting her have the injection now.

Did you hear about that in Scotland a few cases of SF have been immune to Tamiflu?

wayneg
11-20-2009, 03:58 PM
Wayne, how's Matt doing? feeling any better?

Hope you just have a cold.

Matt is a lot better, not sure its swine flu, he is nowhere near as bad as I was with regular flu about 10 years ago. Never want that again.
His high temp has gone, worst thing was his stomach. spent more time on the toilet than off, chemist said it is a side effect of tamiflu so told him to take Imodium, took 2 this afternoon and he can now at least eat something without it going straight thru.
He should be OK for his mocks next week.:thumbsup2

ukstitch
11-20-2009, 04:17 PM
Did you hear about that in Scotland a few cases of SF have been immune to Tamiflu?

It was bound to happen because they've been issuing Tamiflu like it's been going out of fashion and without actually testing for swine flu first :rolleyes:

disneyholic family
11-20-2009, 04:21 PM
When i saw my GP today i asked him a few questions about the SF injection, he did say if a newer strain comes along then the first vaccine will be useless, but he strongly advised me to give DD the vaccine as its better to be safe than sorry esp as under 5's are most at risk.

He had recently had his and i asked him if he had any side effects and he said his arm ached abit but that was it. I also asked if the ingredients in the vaccine were componants of the SF (this is what worried me most as i dont want to inject DD with the virus) and he said no.

I need to think about it a bit more about what to do, but i'm leaning towards letting her have the injection now.

i can understand your hesitance - it's a big decision...

as for Tamiflu - i'd heard there have been some resistant cases, but i didn't know where they were....not sure if they were just in Scotland - i think i heard that there also have been some in the US - and maybe elsewhere as well..
but there's another drug that can be given if tamiflu doesn't work - i can't remember the name....relenza i think...they've used it in hospitals here (in israel) with partial success (some patients who were on death's doorstep recovered, others didn't)...

Hope you just have a cold.

Matt is a lot better, not sure its swine flu, he is nowhere near as bad as I was with regular flu about 10 years ago. Never want that again.
His high temp has gone, worst thing was his stomach. spent more time on the toilet than off, chemist said it is a side effect of tamiflu so told him to take Imodium, took 2 this afternoon and he can now at least eat something without it going straight thru.
He should be OK for his mocks next week.:thumbsup2

glad to hear he's feeling better!! :goodvibes :goodvibes

thelittlemermaid83
11-20-2009, 04:25 PM
It was bound to happen because they've been issuing Tamiflu like it's been going out of fashion and without actually testing for swine flu first :rolleyes:

Guess we are all doomed then.

as for Tamiflu - i'd heard there have been some resistant cases, but i didn't know where they were....not sure if they were just in Scotland - i think i heard that there also have been some in the US - and maybe elsewhere as well..
but there's another drug that can be given if tamiflu doesn't work - i can't remember the name....relenza i think...they've used it in hospitals here (in israel) with partial success (some patients who were on death's doorstep recovered, others didn't)...

Thats the drug issued to pregnant woman, you inhale it or something.

disneyholic family
11-20-2009, 04:48 PM
Thats the drug issued to pregnant woman, you inhale it or something.

yes, you're right - i just was reading up on it on the NHS website (a very good site providing comprehensive information)..

they refer to it as an inhaled drug - so i guess that wasn't what was given to the people...as on the news it was referred to as an injection of some sort...
don't know what it was....but it helped some of the gravely ill people...so that's hopeful..

i wish they'd finally come out with the universal flu shot...then we wouldn't have to worry about mutations...we'd be covered for all of them....
hopefully, they'll speed up the trials...there are several different universal flu vaccines currently in development....and they've had some very good trial results so far...

thelittlemermaid83
11-20-2009, 04:56 PM
i wish they'd finally come out with the universal flu shot...then we wouldn't have to worry about mutations...we'd be covered for all of them....
hopefully, they'll speed up the trials...there are several different universal flu vaccines currently in development....and they've had some very good trial results so far...

I 100% agree.

It would certainly make life a lot easier.

ukstitch
11-20-2009, 06:15 PM
As a very unfortunate example of what swine flu can do to somebody unfortunate to suffer a major case of it, one of the regular posters on the Disneyland boards is currently very ill (she's in hospital with severe pneumonia as a direct result of the swine fly and was placed into an induced coma with possible brain damage). The thread is here (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2335573) if anybody wants to send well wishes to a fellow DISer... :hug:

I think this really hits home just how bad swine flu can be if you're unlucky enough to suffer a bad case of it. If I get the vaccine offered to me then I will be having a long, hard think about taking it knowing what can happen if I was to contract swine flu.

ukstitch
11-23-2009, 02:59 AM
Just thought I'd update my above post to say that unfortunately, Dawn / Fairykin from the Disneyland California boards sadly lost her fight against the flu and pneumonia that resulted from it last night.

I know it's already been said over there, but I'm going to add it here as well. Many, many thanks to all those who've popped over to the California boards to wish her well (or offer condolences since last night) - it's really appreciated and shows the strength of the DIS community :grouphug:

natalielongstaff
11-23-2009, 03:05 AM
oh thats terrible news :hug: my thoughts are with her family at this sad time.

mandymouse
11-23-2009, 03:07 AM
:sad2:What sad news. Her friends and family are in my thoughts

PoppyAnna
11-23-2009, 03:13 AM
Thats very sad, must be awful for her family. They are in my thoughts:hug:

Although you'll see from previous posts I was against giving it to my children, DH and I have talked about little else all weekend knowing that they are going to offer it to us for our youngest DD. We have decided to give it to her. I suppose I have realised that if I didn't give her the vaccine and she became very ill from Swine Flu, I'd never forgive myself. I also believe that you have to trust health professionals during these times, and lets face it the country it on its knees financially, if it wasn't important I don't believe the govenment would be spending this much money on a mass vaccination program.

DH was poorly for two days after having it, but is fine now.

natalielongstaff
11-23-2009, 03:16 AM
Although you'll see from previous posts I was against giving it to my children, DH and I have talked about little else all weekend knowing that they are going to offer it to us for our youngest DD. We have decided to give it to her. I suppose I have realised that if I didn't give her the vaccine and she became very ill from Swine Flu, I'd never forgive myself. I also believe that you have to trust health professionals during these times, and lets face it the country it on its knees financially, if it wasn't important I don't believe the govenment would be spending this much money on a mass vaccination program.

i was glad that my two are older and i did not have to make a choice, in principle i do agree with vaccination programmes however im really on the fence with this one !

PoppyAnna
11-23-2009, 03:23 AM
i was glad that my two are older and i did not have to make a choice, in principle i do agree with vaccination programmes however im really on the fence with this one !

Exactly the same here Nat, DH is so passionate about giving it to her and I guess I'm 90/10, so I'm having to forget that 10 percent and go with the majority.
I worked for the NHS for 12 years and clinical friends of mine have said that the 6mths-5yrs vaccination programme just the tip of the iceberg and it will be offered to the elderly next, then older children, and so on. The NHS has stockpilled enough vaccine for everybody, so I think we will all be tested over this one:rolleyes:

tennisfan
11-23-2009, 04:11 AM

I knew this was going to happen due to the reasons you have stated it doesn't take a genius. People put too much faith in GP's sometimes:rolleyes:

Just thought I'd update my above post to say that unfortunately, Dawn / Fairykin from the Disneyland California boards sadly lost her fight against the flu and pneumonia that resulted from it last night.

I know it's already been said over there, but I'm going to add it here as well. Many, many thanks to all those who've popped over to the California boards to wish her well (or offer condolences since last night) - it's really appreciated and shows the strength of the DIS community :grouphug:

Just catching up with DIS as I have been on nights, this is sad news my thoughts are with her family:hug:

I'm not sure if the Vaccine is like the seasonal flu vaccine in that it doesn't stop you getting flu it lessens the symptoms. I'm still not going to have it though as I personally can't see the point.

Head_in_the_clouds
11-23-2009, 05:47 AM
Oh dear, what terrible news, how sad for her family.

I got my swine flu vaccination invite a couple of days ago and after hearing about the tamiflu resistant cases (I thought this was in Wales?) I must admit I have changed my mind about not having it. This news about a diser has also brought it home. My letter from the doctors basically said you are being offered this because you are one of the people who is likely to suffer seriously complications if you were to contract swine flu. That brought it home because although I have a heart condition, I am only 25 and in my own mind I thought I would be able to fight it off no problem but I have had pneumonia from the normal flu before when I was 19 and now I have started to realise there is a chance I could become very ill if I got swine flu. My dad (a diabetic) has had the jab and is fine. So maybe I will have it after all.

scottish mum
11-23-2009, 06:29 AM
Thats very sad, must be awful for her family. They are in my thoughts:hug:

I was unsure of whether to let my Liam, 8 yrs, have it or not. He is asthmatic so a priority. Like you we decided to let him have it as we couldn't live with ourselves if he got ill with swine flu and we could have prevented it. He had a sore arm for 24 hrs and felt a bit tired and warm but after that he was fine.

T16GEM
11-23-2009, 05:41 PM
Such sad news, my thoughts are with Dawn's family.

We have also decided that we will let our two have the jab if they are called, I would never forgive myself if anything were to happen to them because of something that I could have done to stop it. As a PP said we need to trust in the health professionals right now, and many of them are having it so, what's good enough for them should be good enough for us too KWIM?