PDA

View Full Version : What NOT to wear in First Class

ExPirateShopGirl
11-05-2009, 12:37 AM
Just when you thought it was safe to click on the Transportation Board link...

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/man-kicked-out-of-first-class-united-110309

Self-important slouchers beware... ;)

bavaria
11-05-2009, 12:40 AM
Safetymom beat you to it on another thread....

My attire yesterday received the TSA stamp of approval as well as the F stamp of approval. It also received the Safetymom stamp of approval, even if it was not generally DISapproved. ;)

goofy4tink
11-05-2009, 05:35 AM
I just can not believe you both went there!!!!
Okay.....I'll let this one stay open, but if it gets testy like the other one, it gets closed down and quickly. There will be no insult hurling again.

crashbb
11-05-2009, 05:52 AM
Though, interestingly, he doesn't not appear to plan on suing them (at least he says he doesn't).

Tozzie
11-05-2009, 06:20 AM
I wonder what the gate agent would have done had he actually paid for a first class ticket instead of using miles to upgrade to first class?

safetymom
11-05-2009, 06:25 AM
I am behaving. :)

Lewisc
11-05-2009, 07:13 AM
From the followup story:
A spokesperson says they've identified the gate agent and he is a contract employee who works for Air Wisconsin.

The spokesperson says the employee was interviewed and security footage from the terminal is being reviewed as officials for both airlines investigate the incident.

United says there is no passenger dress code, but they cited two rules. Ticketed passengers can not be barefoot and must be clothed.

The GA doesn't get to make up rules. Does Air Wisconsin flights even have a first class section on any of their flights?

I don't agree with the OP, I think this a case of a self important GA not a self important sloucher. The dress code is the same for first class and coach. Either he should have been allowed to occupy the first class seat he paid for (miles and money) or he shouldn't have been allowed to fly.

Tara
11-05-2009, 07:19 AM
I don't agree with the OP, I think this a case of a self important GA not a self important sloucher.

I'm pretty certain the OP is not calling the passenger in question that, but rather making a reference to the previous thread about dress in F.

nanceliz
11-05-2009, 09:17 AM
My sister has flown on another airline and she told me she doesn't wear jeans because she would not be able to upgrade or be bumped to first class if she has jeans on.
My father used to work for a different airline years ago and whenever we flew, we had to dress up. That, however was because of their rules about employees flying and again it was years ago.

bavaria
11-05-2009, 10:20 AM
I don't know whether to feel proud or ashamed that the outfit in question was from a German company apparently. ;)

ExPirateShopGirl
11-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Ding ding ding... we have a winner! :)

I'm pretty certain the OP is not calling the passenger in question that, but rather making a reference to the previous thread about dress in F.

bavaria
11-05-2009, 10:59 AM
Ding ding ding.... we have points. :)

(in a jetlagged, painfilled stupor the other night I had a dream that WebmasterKathy gave me points on the Airline Etiquette thread for referring to a closed thread and pulling the Moms (Safety and Goofy) into my discussion about said closed thread)

Now, to get back on topic, I have to go select my outfit as I am flying LH shortly and want to ensure that I am 'properly' dressed. I take it that German standards and not DIS standards apply. ;)

keishashadow
11-05-2009, 11:19 AM
Just when you thought it was safe to click on the Transportation Board link...

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/man-kicked-out-of-first-class-united-110309

Self-important slouchers beware... ;)

Many designer 'track suits' both look better (after long hours on a flight) and cost more than a cheap suit.:rolleyes1

As long as the peep plopped in seat next to me isn't overly friendly/loud, tries to hog the armrest or stink (body odor, or too much cologne-cheap or otherwise), it's all gravy...advance apologies to those who belong to any of the aforementioned categories:cool2:

jlewisinsyr
11-05-2009, 11:25 AM
United and its subsidiary (through contract) are on a roll with issues as of late...and these really have nothing to do with saving money either, just overall poor customer service.

connie1042
11-05-2009, 11:38 AM
Lets see. You can't fly first class unless you are properly dressed by their standards. But you can sit on a plane for hours on the tarmac because , God only knows why! Or you can just fly over your destination and no one on the plane even questions it. This is just crazy, and wrong. They are lucky that it was not me, because I certainly would of said something.. I would of asked for documentation right there, then when I got hope things would of really started to fly.I would not have screamed and made a scene, because I would of wanted to get home. It seems that the corporate world thinks it has the authority to do what ever they want to the customer because we need their services. People need to speak up and let them know we are not going to take it anymore!!

bavaria
11-05-2009, 11:38 AM
As long as the peep plopped in seat next to me

Sign that I need to log off and get some sleep - I misplaced the L's, P's, and vowels in that sentence and came up with someone quite different and less acceptable from an airline seatmate. :rotfl:

Lewisc
11-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Ding ding ding... we have a winner! :)

Sorry for misreading your thread.

I'm confused, I don't see anything wrong with what the BB person was wearing. I agree (AFAIK) it wouldn't be appropriate for non-rev passengers. It's not something I'd wear on a plane, it doesn't meet my personal dress standards.

Assuming there was something wrong with the clothing (holes/rips in the "wrong" places) the passenger shouldn't have been allowed to board the plane in either cabin.

rie'smom
11-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Ding ding ding.... we have points. :)

(in a jetlagged, painfilled stupor the other night I had a dream that WebmasterKathy gave me points on the Airline Etiquette thread for referring to a closed thread and pulling the Moms (Safety and Goofy) into my discussion about said closed thread)

Now, to get back on topic, I have to go select my outfit as I am flying LH shortly and want to ensure that I am 'properly' dressed. I take it that German standards and not DIS standards apply. ;)

Was that a dream or a nightmare? :rotfl:

ExPirateShopGirl
11-05-2009, 01:20 PM
Oh, other than a tacky track suit there was nothing 'wrong' with his clothing. The GA was either misinformed or was enjoying his temporary authority a little too much. The thread is a throwback reference to another long-abandoned thread. As someone who spends way too many hours with the traveling public, I can tell you that 90% of those traveling are candidates for "What Not to Wear" - and that doesn't include those who deliberately choose to underdress for their own physical comfort. That being said, there is never a reason good enough EVER to be seen in a velour tracksuit with "Juicy" plastered on the rear end. :lmao:

Sorry for misreading your thread.

I'm confused, I don't see anything wrong with what the BB person was wearing. I agree (AFAIK) it wouldn't be appropriate for non-rev passengers. It's not something I'd wear on a plane, it doesn't meet my personal dress standards.

Assuming there was something wrong with the clothing (holes/rips in the "wrong" places) the passenger shouldn't have been allowed to board the plane in either cabin.

keishashadow
11-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Sign that I need to log off and get some sleep - I misplaced the L's, P's, and vowels in that sentence and came up with someone quite different and less acceptable from an airline seatmate. :rotfl:

:eek: you've got me :lmao:, i'll add it to my guide.

dudspizza
11-05-2009, 01:41 PM
From one of the articles, this was a comment....

"i know armando personally and i would be willing to bet that his sweat suit he probably purchased @ neiman marcus was not the reason for his denial for first class.....small man big mouthitis. i love how they film his home to indicate that he has a few dollars in his best buy executive pocket, not like the average joe that got his sweats at walmart god forbid. this is hilarious."

Someone seems to be questioning whether the track suit wearing exec copped an attitude........

By the way, was it my "what to wear in first class" thread that got shut down? I didn't even notice....... shows I must be as tired as Bavaria!

Duds

Lewisc
11-05-2009, 02:19 PM
He paid for the upgrade with miles. His upgrade was confirmed on the screen. He presumably went to the GA to get a new BP.

I didn't know a GA is allowed to downgrade a passenger from first class to coach because the GA doesn't like his attitude.

AFAIK the dress code, and attitude "rules" apply equally to coach and first class passengers. I don't know what he could have done to justify being denied first class but still be allowed to board the flight.

I'm assuming if he lost his upgrade because another passenger paid cash for a full fare ticket the airline would have said as much.

"i know armando personally and i would be willing to bet that his sweat suit he probably purchased @ neiman marcus was not the reason for his denial for first class.....small man big mouthitis. i love how they film his home to indicate that he has a few dollars in his best buy executive pocket, not like the average joe that got his sweats at walmart god forbid. this is hilarious."

Someone seems to be questioning whether the track suit wearing exec copped an attitude........

By the way, was it my "what to wear in first class" thread that got shut down? I didn't even notice....... shows I must be as tired as Bavaria!

Duds

bumbershoot
11-05-2009, 02:40 PM
My father used to work for a different airline years ago and whenever we flew, we had to dress up. That, however was because of their rules about employees flying and again it was years ago.

One of the replies to one of the articles, early on, mentioned that it's possible the gate agent got confused, and thought he was traveling on an employee "pass" (using quotes b/c I know that's not the right word). And that you do have to dress a certain way, even now, if traveling on such a pass. So if they got confused between his miles upgrade vs an employee thing, that's why they might have cited his clothing.

Or they've just all lost their minds...

bavaria
11-05-2009, 05:04 PM

Duds

Your thread was one of the ones that brings in lots of views and thus revenue I believe! Good boy!

By the way, even though I am wearing my German approved outfit today, I was told by security that I look very tired today, and that hopefully I can get some sleep on my flight. No 'you look lovely' for me today, just more concern for my wellbeing from the security which is on duty in my parallel universe.

Have a nice day everyone! :)

ExPirateShopGirl
11-05-2009, 05:28 PM
On behalf of the disboards I'd like to thank you for posting today. At the DIS, we know you have a choice in travel-related messaging boards and we appreciate every number, letter and asterisk you choose to type here. If there's anything we can do to make your posting experience more pleasant for you, don't hesitate to ask. Now, sit back, relax, and enjoy the flight.

::goodvibes

Your thread was one of the ones that brings in lots of views and thus revenue I believe! Good boy!

By the way, even though I am wearing my German approved outfit today, I was told by security that I look very tired today, and that hopefully I can get some sleep on my flight. No 'you look lovely' for me today, just more concern for my wellbeing from the security which is on duty in my parallel universe.

Have a nice day everyone! :)

safetymom
11-05-2009, 06:41 PM
On behalf of the disboards I'd like to thank you for posting today. At the DIS, we know you have a choice in travel-related messaging boards and we appreciate every number, letter and asterisk you choose to type here. If there's anything we can do to make your posting experience more pleasant for you, don't hesitate to ask. Now, sit back, relax, and enjoy the flight.

:) :) I second that.

Tara
11-05-2009, 06:49 PM

Now that you mention it, the asterisks are my favorite part! :rotfl2:

crashbb
11-05-2009, 06:51 PM

I love when they say that when you've just flown a route on which they are the only available airline. The "quickest" connecting option generally more than double travel time (so not really an option).

I do though, agree with thanking Bavaria.

mdinme
11-05-2009, 09:26 PM
If I were a woman I'd say to hell with it and just wear nothing.

goofy4tink
11-06-2009, 05:28 AM

Duds

Oh, let's not go there!!! Just play nicely...that's all I ask.

Thanks so much for flying DIS Airlines!! We do appreciate your patronage!!!

keishashadow
11-06-2009, 07:48 AM
If I were a woman I'd say to hell with it and just wear nothing.

Sage words of advice...not!:laughing: A dude-directed reality check: most women I know complain about freezing on planes and drag along jackets/travel-sized blankies to insure survival.

ExPirateShopGirl
11-06-2009, 11:21 AM
Sage words of advice...not!:laughing: A dude-directed reality check: most women I know complain about freezing on planes and drag along jackets/travel-sized blankies to insure survival.

Personally, I love the sweaters that double as wraps (NEVER EVER to be confused with the Ronco(tm) Snuggie) :lmao:

bavaria
11-06-2009, 11:32 AM
Reporting from the parallel universe...

Today's flight was rich with DISworld hot buttons. Shame on me - I flew 'internationally' (but if I fly a German airline to Germany does that count as international?) The two women in F were wearing skirts, black sweaters, patterned tights, and scarf or pashmina. The men were mostly wearing what in DISworld is called the 'girlie outfit' and in German is translated as se.. er, highly attractive, ie denim trousers with a sport coat or blazer, dress shirt, and scarf.

On my short haul flight today we had a special guest - Bodo the dog, who was going to sit in his carrier, but who happily used the boarding gates while not on a leash. Being a German dog, when he got a little excited and tried to join me instead of waiting for his owner, he immediately sat down when told, and waited. He then boarded the plane sans leash, and I assume eventually went into the carrier. He again joined us at baggage claim, sitting quietly off the leash, and behaving better than I see most children and adults behave at baggage claim in America.

There was no DISworld carry on drama; we left with bins 1/2 full, and on time.

While on a chocolate restocking session I detoured to my favourite Turkish place in the terminal and while ordering lunch a Shephard (what you people call a 'German' Shephard and we just call a Shepard) stood next to me patiently waiting and obviously enjoying the smell of lamb.

Just another happy day of flying longhaul in the parallel universe - no fuss, no drama, with a few assorted animals behaving as well as the adults.

Oh, and just for keishashadow - the curried lentils and beans have finally made a comeback on the LH Asian veg menu (yay!) so there may well have been some peeps plopping on the plane. Perhaps it is time for that helpful poster to provide us with a discourse on the impact of flying on the sphincter muscles again, as many of our current audience may not have had the pleasure of reading that post.

Edited to add! I almost forgot the most relevant piece. At security in FRA I was enjoying the 'view' in the priority screening lane of the males around me in their girlie business attire. But one gentleman stood out - for wearing a Puma track suit!!!! It became clear however that while his outfit unfortunately may have been from Germany, he didn't belong to us. :)

ExPirateShopGirl
11-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Speaking of chocolate (no, not the uber elite chocolate that typically fills the pockets of your Longchamp, but the bourgeois variety I love so well) I have a new favorite in-flight food item:

Minibix Chocolate biscuits! Real miniature weetabix with dark chocolate bits inside. Major yum! They taste like small, crunchy pains au chocolat. I was getting tired of bringing my instant oatmeal in tupperware and making use of the hot water on board for breakfast.

Today's flight was rich with DISworld hot buttons. Shame on me - I flew 'internationally' (but if I fly a German airline to Germany does that count as international?) The two women in F were wearing skirts, black sweaters, patterned tights, and scarf or pashmina. The men were mostly wearing what in DISworld is called the 'girlie outfit' and in German is translated as se.. er, highly attractive, ie denim trousers with a sport coat or blazer, dress shirt, and scarf.

On my short haul flight today we had a special guest - Bodo the dog, who was going to sit in his carrier, but who happily used the boarding gates while not on a leash. Being a German dog, when he got a little excited and tried to join me instead of waiting for his owner, he immediately sat down when told, and waited. He then boarded the plane sans leash, and I assume eventually went into the carrier. He again joined us at baggage claim, sitting quietly off the leash, and behaving better than I see most children and adults behave at baggage claim in America.

While on a chocolate restocking session I detoured to my favourite Turkish place in the terminal and while ordering lunch a Shephard (what you people call a 'German' Shephard and we just call a Shepard) stood next to me patiently waiting and obviously enjoying the smell of lamb.

Just another happy day of flying longhaul in the parallel universe - no fuss, no drama, with a few assorted animals behaving as well as the adults.

Oh, and just for keishashadow - the curried lentils and beans have finally made a comeback on the LH Asian veg menu (yay!) so there may well have been some peeps plopping on the plane. Perhaps it is time for that helpful poster to provide us with a discourse on the impact of flying on the sphincter muscles again, as many of our current audience may not have had the pleasure of reading that post.

dudspizza
11-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Speaking of chocolate (no, not the uber elite chocolate that typically fills the pockets of your Longchamp, but the bourgeois variety I love so well) I have a new favorite in-flight food item:

Minibix Chocolate biscuits! Real miniature weetabix with dark chocolate bits inside. Major yum! They taste like small, crunchy pains au chocolat. I was getting tired of bringing my instant oatmeal in tupperware and making use of the hot water on board for breakfast.

all this talk of chocolate as I sit here eating my Taco Bell for lunch........ I must be missing something!

Duds

bavaria
11-06-2009, 11:54 AM
This??!!! I may need to add it to my list! Today I got to stock up on the special holiday lines of chocolate - limited time only! https://www.wegmans.com/prodimg/070/500/055712067070.jpg

ExPirateShopGirl
11-06-2009, 12:22 PM
If you're eating Taco Bell for lunch I am lost as to where I can even BEGIN to help you with your issues.... ;)

That being said... there's nothing quite like a burrito supreme after having been in Paris for 4 months. :lmao:

all this talk of chocolate as I sit here eating my Taco Bell for lunch........ I must be missing something!

Duds

ExPirateShopGirl
11-06-2009, 12:23 PM
Yes! Love it! I just get it for the fiber... really... ;)

This??!!! I may need to add it to my list! Today I got to stock up on the special holiday lines of chocolate - limited time only! https://www.wegmans.com/prodimg/070/500/055712067070.jpg

crashbb
11-06-2009, 12:30 PM
Yes! Love it! I just get it for the fiber... really... ;)

It looks yummy!

NotUrsula
11-06-2009, 01:13 PM

So, are they REQUIRING scarves in Germany now? ;)

Seriously, I've noted the European scarf obsession, but I just can't participate. Ever since childhood I've had issues with feeling choked if I have anything wrapped around my neck. I wouldn't wear a turtleneck even if you paid me, and the only winter "scarf" I own is a heavy silk jersey draped cowl -- but I think I've only worn it twice in 10 years, both times when I had to spend time outdoors in Chicago in sub-zero weather.

The men's outfits seem fine to me ... except for the scarves.

keishashadow
11-06-2009, 02:57 PM
scarves, always thought of them as good way to hide something...neck wrinkles mostly:laughing:. Same group needs to eat fiber, lots of it;). Not sure it's compatible with flying though.

As for curry, it must be an acquired taste.:confused3 Im a fan of hot wings, hot sauce, you name it; so i decided to be adventurous and try the indian buffet aboard a cruise this summer. The chef assured me the dish i selected was mild http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/userpics/10172/panic.gif (http://www.smileyvault.com/)

Flossbolna
11-06-2009, 05:29 PM

Edited to add! I almost forgot the most relevant piece. At security in FRA I was enjoying the 'view' in the priority screening lane of the males around me in their girlie business attire. But one gentleman stood out - for wearing a Puma track suit!!!! It became clear however that while his outfit unfortunately may have been from Germany, he didn't belong to us. :)

Hi! I have been lurking around here again recently and reading (and enjoying) your posts on different perspectives of air travel around the world. And I have to add, that even in German economy class things are much similar to what you describe!!

As a German I would say that if you fly to Germany on a German airline in F you are still flying internationally since you can't be on a Lufthansa flight in F within Germany. So you have a departure from abroad which makes it international: two nations involved - well, perhas it might be more binational? :confused: But then, I guess we make more of a a distinction between continental and intercontinental. :goodvibes

And I agree that any sign of someone wearing a German track suit at an airport, it is a sure sign that this person has a different nationality than the track suit! :thumbsup2 I just wonder what is girlie about the male outfit you described??? :goodvibes

Oh and what is the elitist chocolate you get??? At FRA airport?

dudspizza
11-07-2009, 12:00 AM
If you're eating Taco Bell for lunch I am lost as to where I can even BEGIN to help you with your issues.... ;)

That being said... there's nothing quite like a burrito supreme after having been in Paris for 4 months. :lmao:

Seriously, when you get a 25 minute window to eat your lunch (if everyone is on time), you better get the quickest thing possible... I seriously ate my lunch and finished as my next class was waiting at the door....... had to wait for my bathroom break until the 2 classes ended.... 2 hours later.... fun stuff!

bavaria
11-07-2009, 04:13 AM
Oh and what is the elitist chocolate you get??? At FRA airport?

HALLO! Any chocolate we buy is the special elitist kind - we have the good stuff, you know ;) And you know that MUC has the extra good shopping opportunities

I have a headache this morning however; long haul flying + jetlag + a box of Asbach Uralt = Kopfschmerzen!!

bavaria
11-07-2009, 04:17 AM
As a German I would say that if you fly to Germany on a German airline in F you are still flying internationally since you can't be on a Lufthansa flight in F within Germany. So you have a departure from abroad which makes it international: two nations involved - well, perhas it might be more binational? :confused: But then, I guess we make more of a a distinction between continental and intercontinental. :goodvibes

Now where were you on the 'what TO wear in First Class' thread when we were told that we are apparantely 'braggarts' for flying 'internationally'? Someone must think very highly of us and our technology skills, and crashbb, and all the other foreigners if we are expected to travel long distances across nations without use of an airplane. We just haven't shared the secret of the teleportation device with the rest of the world yet, apparently. :rotfl:

keishashadow
11-07-2009, 07:39 AM
I've heard the secret to teleportation is to (besides using lots of astericks and ....'s):

*hold your dog (needs to be named Toto)

*click the heels of your

http://www.tjtoys.com/images/PRODUCT/icon/FOR-53018.jpg
&

*say 'there's no place like home, there's no place like home'

bavaria
11-07-2009, 07:52 AM
Well crap apparently THAT is my problem!

* the dog's name was Bodo, not Toto
* I am actually wearing these shoes this weekend (although they do come in red)
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41%2BOXvAO6ML._AA280_.jpg
Thanks for the travel tips! :rotfl:

Flossbolna
11-07-2009, 08:24 AM
HALLO! Any chocolate we buy is the special elitist kind - we have the good stuff, you know ;) And you know that MUC has the extra good shopping opportunities

I have a headache this morning however; long haul flying + jetlag + a box of Asbach Uralt = Kopfschmerzen!!

Good to know that I live where good chocolate is at home! Sorry for your headache, but if you chose to eat (I guess if box, it must be filled chocolates) Asbach Uralt that's a just punishment.

Now where were you on the 'what TO wear in First Class' thread when we were told that we are apparantely 'braggarts' for flying 'internationally'? Someone must think very highly of us and our technology skills, and crashbb, and all the other foreigners if we are expected to travel long distances across nations without use of an airplane. We just haven't shared the secret of the teleportation device with the rest of the world yet, apparently. :rotfl:

Sorry, since the closest I ever got to flying First Class was watching a documentary on it, I really did not feel qualified to post on this thread... :goodvibes

I've heard the secret to teleportation is to (besides using lots of astericks and ....'s):

*hold your dog (needs to be named Toto)

*click the heels of your

http://www.tjtoys.com/images/PRODUCT/icon/FOR-53018.jpg
&

*say 'there's no place like home, there's no place like home'

Do you think that this would work for us foreigners? Not everyone speaks English and the "th" is often pronounced uncorrectly, so who knows where people might end up, if they make a mistake when they are supposed to say 'there's no place like home, there's no place like home' :confused:

bavaria
11-07-2009, 08:27 AM
'der's no place like home, der's no place like home'

That is how I pronounce it, if I am tired, or speaking to other German English speakers, or if I forget to use my cover accent.

(Of course, I also say 'ja' in English sometimes which is mistaken for that awful 'yeah', and I say 'bye bye' which is the standard Germisch farewell :lmao: )

keishashadow
11-07-2009, 08:59 AM
:laughing:

Calgary DISHeads
11-14-2009, 01:24 PM
I am absolutely gobstopped by this - over the last few years I have flown extensively in business class, both domestically and internationally and never wear anything but jeans or yoga pants. Twice I have been upgraded from business to first - flight from Mumbai to Frankfurt on Lufthansa and London to Singapore on British Airways, both times wearing jeans. United first domestically is a joke - who would actually pay for it? I bet the ratio of paid to upgraded/on points is 1 to 99 - and they have the audacity to tell someone they aren't dressed appropriately and go sit with the rest of the slobs who dress like you in the back of the plane!! We are flying united first on points from Calgary to Orlando in December - I've got an evil twinkle in my eye at this point .... flashing micky ears anyone - my slippers that look like mickey feet? Maybe my halloween minnie dress.... :rolleyes1

goofy4tink
11-14-2009, 01:35 PM
'der's no place like home, der's no place like home'

That is how I pronounce it, if I am tired, or speaking to other German English speakers, or if I forget to use my cover accent.

(Of course, I also say 'ja' in English sometimes which is mistaken for that awful 'yeah', and I say 'bye bye' which is the standard Germisch farewell :lmao: )
And therein lies your problem....the wizards recognize only the 'th' sound....therefore if you say 'der's' rather than 'there's', you are going nowhere!! Silly you.