PDA

View Full Version : How good is hotwire?

disneygal55
11-04-2009, 05:35 PM
I am having a difficult time getting a decent rate for our trip January2-January 7th. Have tried most car rental companies and various coupons but it"s still up there. Hotwire is coming up about 100+ cheaper but I have never used it. Is the rental company and car always at MCO as reported? I don't want to have to take a shuttle to the car.

robinb
11-04-2009, 07:43 PM
I am having a difficult time getting a decent rate for our trip January2-January 7th. Have tried most car rental companies and various coupons but it"s still up there. Hotwire is coming up about 100+ cheaper but I have never used it. Is the rental company and car always at MCO as reported? I don't want to have to take a shuttle to the car.Avis, National, Alamo, Budget, Enterprise, & Hertz participate with Hotwire and not all them are at the airport itself. Personally, it would be worth it for me to take a shuttle to save $100 as I don't find it a really big deal. You may want to try over on our December Car Rental thread for some codes that might work for you.

pomlover
11-05-2009, 02:40 AM
No I don't think it's always at MCO unfortunately.

JennSaint
11-05-2009, 05:39 AM
No I don't think it's always at MCO unfortunately.

What do yo mean by this?

To the OP:
If you type in MCO for the airport code you will get a car at or very near MCO. Though you may have to take a shuttle I'm sure it's a short ride.
I think for $100 savings it's worth it for a short shuttle ride.

disneygal55
11-05-2009, 09:42 AM
Thanks. I was just wondering because if you go on hotwire.com and put in the airport (MCO) and dates when you look under "pick-up" it says "counter and car are at the airport".

TrustedTraveler
11-05-2009, 10:05 AM
I shopped like crazy for a good January rate (15th thru 23rd) and was very disappointed with the high rates. I tried Hotwire and Priceline, having used them both before with good results. My best deal came from bidding on Priceline for a minivan at MCO. I started at $28 a day which they rejected. Two days later I bid $30 and got it from Alamo. My eight days came out to $347 which is $304 a week, right on target for our budget.

Hope this helps!

cjnix29
11-05-2009, 11:58 AM
Hotwire uses hertz, national, alamo, avis and enterprise (I think on that one). The only one of these that isn't on site at the airport is Hertz. I am thinking of taking the plunge with hotwire as well. Gives me a decent rate. Good luck to you. Finding a rental car at a decent rate is my absolute LEAST favorite part of planning the vacation!

disneygal55
11-05-2009, 01:17 PM
I just got a pretty good deal with Alamo by going on the Costco site and choosing Alamo which gave me up to 25% off plus a free day. It's a little more than hotwire but this way I don't have to pay ahead and if the rates change I can change my reservation. Thanks for all of your suggestions.

robinb
11-05-2009, 02:39 PM
Thanks for reporting back :). FWIW, if you still want to try Hotwire or Priceline (which will give you a better price) I would do it closer to your dates ... maybe 2-3 weeks out. I got a smokin' deal in August 2008 on Priceline. I paid $16 per day for a Compact :).

cjnix29
11-05-2009, 05:10 PM
For anyone else....I just used hotwire, and got Avis. Got a better rate than I could find anywhere else. $14 a day. Plus had the coupon from the entertainment book for an additional $10 off. So $146 for the week for a compact.

robinb
11-05-2009, 05:12 PM
For anyone else....I just used hotwire, and got Avis. Got a better rate than I could find anywhere else. $14 a day. Plus had the coupon from the entertainment book for an additional $10 off. So $146 for the week for a compact.What are your dates?

cjnix29
11-05-2009, 07:25 PM
What are your dates?

December 5-12

JennSaint
11-06-2009, 06:49 AM
What are your dates?

Ooops quoted wrong poster!

JennSaint
11-06-2009, 06:51 AM
For anyone else....I just used hotwire, and got Avis. Got a better rate than I could find anywhere else. $14 a day. Plus had the coupon from the entertainment book for an additional $10 off. So $146 for the week for a compact.

Hotwire allowed you to apply a coupon?

cjnix29
11-06-2009, 11:33 AM
The entertainment book coupon is actually a rebate. Had to to print my email confirmation, and then the rebate form. Send it in and they will credit my card the $10.