PDA

View Full Version : Secrets of the third attraction revealed

larworth
07-15-2002, 09:39 PM
...well not all the secrets. This from a recent B. Gault interview sheds some light on that third attraction that was mentioned as awaiting approval. We think we’ll get a green light within a month for a new blockbuster attraction. It will be on the state-of-the-art level of our Spiderman ride. It’ll be a thrill ride based on new technology and a completely different type of experience than Spider-Man. It’ll be based on a movie you’ve seen before. There may be a sequel to that film franchise come out the year we open the rideOK, let the movie guessing game begin!!!!!

He made Jimmy Neutron sound more cosmetic (new film and décor, same ride system) and Shrek a major event Our Shrek will be like our Terminator 2 3-D ride on steroids. It'll be shot in what we call "Ogrevision" and will have live special effects such as mists and smoke and seats that move and do other tricks to the audience. “Our Shrek will be like our Teminator 2 3-D on steroidsBe still my heart.

interview (http://www.sptimes.com/2002/07/13/Business/Park_president_s_stra.shtml)

WebmasterBarry
07-15-2002, 09:53 PM
I wonder if it will be a Mummy or Scorpion King ride. :confused:

chris mcfly
07-15-2002, 10:02 PM
Oh my god. This is going to turn out to be the longest thread Disboards history.

HauntFreaks.com
07-15-2002, 10:36 PM
:( oh please god no!!!.... dont let this turn into the "NO PETS" thread!!! <<runs away screaming>>

MineeBaby
07-15-2002, 11:07 PM
The Matrix? Sounds like it would be fun.

chris mcfly
07-16-2002, 01:01 AM
If Universal could get their hands on the rights for the Matrix and build an attraction for it... OMG, that would kick a**.

Muushka
07-16-2002, 07:39 AM
:cool: :cool: AAAHHHH, Matrix :cool: :cool:

Can't wait for Matrix Reloaded to come (5/15/03)

A Matrix thrill ride!!!! Be still my heart!!! ;)

EUROPA
07-16-2002, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Barry Hom
I wonder if it will be a Mummy or Scorpion King ride. :confused:

Not sure if there are any upcoming sequals to those movies coming out. I could not find any on upcoming movies.

here is a short list....some are Universal some are not there are some other sequals but they just don't make sense.

X-Men II
Jurassic Park IV (may not be made)
Matrix
Lord of the Rings
Harry Potter

kellymonaghan
07-16-2002, 09:07 AM
My guess is a Mummy/Scorpion King coaster in the Kong building.

I find the fact that there are reports of an Egyptian-themed resort hotel interesting in this regard.

Also there's fare more likely to be a Mummy/Scorpion King sequel than an Apollo XIII sequel. (Apollo XIII was the other rumored theme for a new coaster.)

No inside info, just dumb guesses.

fboy9287
07-16-2002, 09:18 AM
Wait, who said what themepark this would be in? Harry Potter in the Lost Continent? There is a huge demand for him and it would be easy to market. I could really see a Potter ride there. Any family with a kid less then 10 would make their parents take them just for that ride. I don't know, but this has a big potential.

EUROPA
07-16-2002, 09:32 AM
Yeah US is already getting two new attractions...this one will be at IOA or at least that makes sense. Lord of the Rings would also fit into the Lost Continent.

Lewisc
07-16-2002, 09:35 AM
Since it's already been reported that Universal has licensed Harry Potter for the theme parks I'd say that's the most likely attraction.

Earl
07-16-2002, 10:36 AM
Don't believe everything that you read.....:D

EUROPA
07-16-2002, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Lewisc
Since it's already been reported that Universal has licensed Harry Potter for the theme parks I'd say that's the most likely attraction.

When did this happen, anyone have copy of this?

Lewisc
07-16-2002, 01:08 PM
I can't find a link, it was in the NY newspaper around the time the movie came out, based on Earl's comment it may have been printed before the deal was finalized, but the point of the article was that Disney had lost to Universal for the rights.

RUN
07-16-2002, 01:55 PM
I'm a little surprised no one has mentioned The Fast and The Furious. Even though the movie was really bad it was one of Universal's biggest movies last summer. The sequel starts filming in September and will be in Miami, and will be released next June in theaters.

WebmasterBarry
07-16-2002, 04:12 PM
Hmmm...a Fast and the Furious ride....it can be like Test Track on Acid! :)

The Green Goblin
07-16-2002, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Barry Hom
Hmmm...a Fast and the Furious ride....it can be like Test Track on Acid! :)
My brother did that once...He said that it was like moving in slow motion...He also said when he looked at his jeans, they were moving by themselves. ;-)

Spaceman Spiff
07-16-2002, 09:54 PM
i could really see an outta control drag race between two cars. just imagine what type of ride universal creative could produce. i picture something similar to dueling dragons but on land and inside a building.

chris mcfly
07-17-2002, 12:05 AM
<<something similar to dueling dragons but on land and inside a building.>>

Something similar to dueling dragons... but on land? and inside a building? ... like dragons...

but on land...

and inside a building..
Hmmm..

Im having some real trouble sharing your vision :)

By the way, kellymonoghan, how was your dinner at Hard Rock Cafe tonight?

larworth
07-17-2002, 07:53 AM
It doesn't look like we have the movie nailed down yet. How about any thoughts on the "new technology" to be employed?

Earl, was your comment about "don't believe everything that you read" in reference to the HP rights or some aspect of the original interview? Sounds as if Diller might be a good owner if Universal entertainment is separated from Vivendi. At least he seems to be a big fan of the parks.

robvia
07-17-2002, 11:32 AM
There is also this find
http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/t3/
But they already have T2.

Megatoby
07-17-2002, 11:40 AM
I could imagine an attraction based on "The Matrix".
This is because of the planed attraction for the park in Germany. On the masterplan, which I have, it is called "Matrix: The Simualtor" (I think they'll change the name though:smooth:)
As far as I know, there are no details leaked so far.
Maybe they "copy" that ride, and they built in in Oralndo and in Germany ?

only time will tell.................... or perhaps Earl :D

(hidden call for Earl:jester:)

Paris
07-18-2002, 12:05 PM
This link might help -- assuming it's based on a Universal release:

http://movies.yahoo.com/upcoming/bydistrib/universal/

Fast and the Furious 2 is definitely intriguing, but where the heck would you shoehorn that in IOA to make the theme stick? I'm assuming we're talking about the spot of land between Jurassic Park and Dudley. Maybe there's something inspiring in JP4?

Megatoby
07-18-2002, 01:11 PM
I think I'll give another 2 cents ;)

I doubt that attraction is going to IOA, if it is not based on an upcoming JP movie. We know that the next big expansion project at IOA will tale place over at JP. So if its not an JP "thing" it will go to the studios.

This makes sense, as IOA has already THE state-of-the-art-attraction. But USF needs something cutting-the-edge and thrilling again(!).

So, if they close Kong for good we'll know "it's happening".

I expect IOA to get something in 2003-05 time-frame, as they really need something new. I think from time to time, IOA is Universal greatest child , but its parents did not start making even an bigger, stronger boy from it. But I'm sure this will happen soon!

If they really built the attractions as I imagined above, USF would get another one in 2006. Screamscape says they are looking for a sort of flume ride behind BTTF.

This would mean that Universal starts building in foreseeable intervals (every 2 years or so) as they did before; and not have a break for years.

(Dont get my wrong I love UO but these are some points the people who go there and just keep an eye on the parks while off-vacation see. They see Universal doesn't get anything new for years, you know.)

EUROPA
07-18-2002, 02:47 PM
So you think that US will get three new attractions before IOA gets another one...and one of those attractions is going to be a flume ride. Where they already have two at IOA?

UMMMM...

Megatoby
07-18-2002, 04:23 PM
...well actually screamscape.com says the thing about the flume ride after 2006. But I would take this rumor with a grain of salt. I'm pretty sure IOA gets something, too. But perhaps its not so state-of-the-art, that Bob Gault did not tell about it in the interview. I guess I'll read the interview again and then re-think my theory.

BTW, did Gault say exactly that he ment the "sucko and buffo attraction" when he told about the "spidey-like-attraction."

I know it seems to be logical that he ment the same thing, as we didnt hear anything about the reported 2003 attraction for IOA. But what if he was talking about TWO different attractions ? :smooth:

Megatoby
07-18-2002, 04:23 PM
...well actually screamscape.com says the thing about the flume ride after 2006. But I would take this rumor with a grain of salt. I'm pretty sure IOA gets something, too. But perhaps its not that state-of-the-art, that Bob Gault did not tell about it in the interview. I guess I'll read the interview again and then re-think my theory.

BTW, did Gault say exactly that he ment the "sucko and buffo attraction" when he told about the "spidey-like-attraction."

I know it seems to be logical that he ment the same thing, as we didnt hear anything about the reported 2003 attraction for IOA. But what if he was talking about TWO different attractions ? :smooth:

EUROPA
07-19-2002, 08:24 AM
Boy I'm having trouble understanding what your saying... but I'll give it a shot.

Don't compare anything that Screamscape says and what happens becuase they are not the same.

"sucko and buffo " ????? :confused:

As far as the Spiderman Attractioin he said

We think we'll get a green light within a month for a new blockbuster attraction. It will be on the state-of-the-art level of our Spiderman ride. It'll be a thrill ride based on new technology and a completely different type of experience than Spider-Man. It'll be based on a movie you've seen before. There may be a sequel to that film franchise come out the year we open the ride

He only brought up Spiderman to show the level of Technology they were considering. Not as a comparison to something that is going to be built.

Not sure that I would look for a ride that is just as Technologically advanced as Spiderman to be built and running in a little over a year.

rocketman23
07-19-2002, 09:56 AM
It will probably go in IOA, so let's leave the Mummy & Fast & Furious out of this for now.

Harry Potter? No, he said a thrill ride, Harry Potter would be a family ride.

X-Men 2? No, that comes out in 2003.

Jumanji 2? After all, it would make a great LC attraction, but the movie hasn't been green-lighted...

JP4? Most likely yes. I've read the movie is in the scripting stage and Spielberg has already confirmed it will be made saying, "You're talking to the guy who has got to decide, and at this point I've pretty much decided to do a Jurassic IV." I'm looking for a JP ride, and I don't think we have the faintest clue of what the experience will be like.

Earl
07-19-2002, 12:12 PM
This is the point in this saga where the buzzer goes off.....

Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzz.

Or is it...

You have banked nothing, you are the weakest link! :)

fboy9287
07-19-2002, 12:33 PM
This makes playing Beat the Clock really easy.

lp316
07-21-2002, 01:20 PM
We all want it. It is produced by universal and I know everyone would be in on it.

BILLY MADISON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES!!!!!!

A whole ride where you chase the penguin then after you catch teh penguin, you both go to Old man clemens house and light some bags on fire, then run away. I tell you it would be gold.

laksirvak6
07-21-2002, 03:54 PM
The only sequel I know of coming out would be JPIV, both Speilberg and Stan Winston have confirmed it. It's the only thing that makes sense to me as the next thing

rocketman23
07-21-2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Earl
This is the point in this saga where the buzzer goes off.....
Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzz.
Or is it...
You have banked nothing, you are the weakest link! :)

So... are you saying it's not JP4?

twinz
07-22-2002, 07:12 PM
Is GREEN light the clue? WHat about a 4D ride to do with SHREK?
Twinz

rocketman23
07-22-2002, 07:26 PM
No, it's not Shrek, that's already announced for 2003.

Thumper1
07-23-2002, 05:31 PM
What about another ride based on the Green Hulk?:rolleyes:

EUROPA
07-23-2002, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Thumper1
What about another ride based on the Green Hulk?:rolleyes:

That's not a sequel. The interview said it would be a movie we've seen and has a sequel due out the same year.

Bucs300
07-23-2002, 07:42 PM
Universal is coming out with a sequel to Pitch Black.

That could be a possibility.

ucfdude01
07-23-2002, 10:40 PM
Kong is closing after the summer season is over, which would be about september after Labor Day and Rock the Universe, the bulldosers are coming in and demolishing the interior of the building, and construction should start as soon as they get the building repaired. If you don't know yet, the soundstage is in really bad shape, the roof is caving in parts where the tram drops in the show scenes in kong. I believe that what's going in the building is the Mummy themed coaster, and exterior will be themed to a NYC museum of some kind, just like in the Mummy Returns.
This is what might actually happen,
take it as you want to take it.

laksirvak6
07-23-2002, 11:04 PM
If thats true then 3 out of the 3 rides that are getting put in, are all going to US, which I highly doubt. Ioa is getting a ride and it's the only one which we do not know anything about.

fboy9287
07-24-2002, 08:30 AM
Didn't Mr. Bob Gault say that in the papers a few months back that universal is getting 2 new rides and IOA 1? Right? Ok thats all I know but look at what I have here:

The Harry Potter 5th book is comming out in June of 2003. Sequal? yes. 2003? yes Ioa? yes Is this going to happen? I know I don't know.

rocketman23
07-24-2002, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by fboy9287
The Harry Potter 5th book is comming out in June of 2003. Sequal? yes. 2003? yes Ioa? yes Is this going to happen? I know I don't know.

Note he said thrill ride. Harry Potter would not be a thrill ride, it would be a family ride for obvious reasons. It's not Harry Potter... keep watching those JP fields.

chris mcfly
07-24-2002, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by rocketman23

Note he said thrill ride. Harry Potter would not be a thrill ride, it would be a family ride for obvious reasons. It's not Harry Potter... keep watching those JP fields.

That may not be true. I consider MIB, BTTF, etc to be modern family movies and I consider them to be thrill-type rides. A Harry Potter attraction done a la Indiana Jones-style in DL would be awesome. Ive never seen Harry Potter or read any of the books but it definetly a great property to have an attraction based upon. Hopefully it is not a pop culture fad though.

rocketman23
07-24-2002, 09:04 PM
I still see Harry Potter marketing to a younger audience than what this next thrill ride will be. Anyway, I just can't see it happening. Lost Continent was the last to get and expansion and I don't think we'll see much from that island in several years. He also says there may be a sequel to it when we know for sure there will be one to Harry Potter and it's for 2003, not 2004. I'm sticking with JP...

Afroman
07-24-2002, 11:52 PM
It won't be in IOA....I promise you...:cool:

Megatoby
07-25-2002, 05:00 AM
Afroman: how can you be sure ?

Perhaps Earl wanted to hint us, that it wont be in IOA .... :confused:

If it really happens like this, inst it bad for IOA? IoA is the best themepark in the world, but to "survive" it needs new attractions like every other themepark does, doesn't it ?

---
I cant imagine them building a Harry Potter Ride, although I dont mind, if they build one;)

To give that rumor another big run:

BBC Newsround reports, that WB will start shooting HP3 in the summer of 2003 and will release it in the summer of 2004, because they cant make the third movie as fast as the second one. Besides, the cast and the crew will get some free time to relax.

larworth
07-25-2002, 08:45 AM
Also find it curious US would get 3 new attractions and IOA none. I can't believe they are happy with the attendance disparity between the two parks? With US getting two new attractions next year this gap would only seem to widen.

If I had put all that extra money into creating the great themed environments at IOA, I'd sure want to fully leverage that investment by sticking my new rides there. Plus, it would even out crowd flow around the resort, which I assume is a good thing.

Someone hinted at the poor condition of the Kong building. Maybe, something had to be done with it and that need won out over other considerations?

IOA too often gets labeled as a "coaster" park. Putting another thrill ride there would reinforce that impression. Is this a good or bad thing? Wonder if something like the Shrek experience would have really been the best option of the three?

Earl
07-25-2002, 01:27 PM
The speculation on this thread is getting pretty good, not really close, but interesting reading.

rocketman23
07-25-2002, 03:38 PM
I thought in the original press release about 3 new attractions coming, it said 2 to go to USF and 1 to go to IOA. Shrek and Jimmy Neutron seem to be the 2 for USF... I would only think IOA would get this one. Oh well, as long as it's on the resort and fun, I'll be happy. :cool:

damo
07-26-2002, 10:05 AM
I think that the ride will be a B&M flying coaster. I was reading another forum and it said that a few Universal Studios Florida Reps were at Six Flags Over Georgia around Superman: Ultimate Flight, their B&M flyer with some Reps from SFoG showing them around the ride. Hopefully this was an inspection, and a test for a new USF/IoA ride.

fboy9287
07-26-2002, 12:40 PM
and theme it to what?

Mittman
07-26-2002, 01:26 PM
An adult version of Pterdon flyers seems most likely to me. JP needs another attraction, there is probably another JP movie coming in 2004, and it would tie in perfectly with the flying coaster idea. Imagine a flying coaster inside the giant bird cage from JP3. You could have tons of near misses with the cage just like the near misses on Dueling Dragons. Sounds like a great idea to me, and I hope it is what Universal decides to go with.

rocketman23
07-26-2002, 02:44 PM
I believe Earl has already knocked that rumor... I think he said no to the bird cage I'm not sure if he commented on the flyer though. Care to refresh our memory? ;)

rocketman23
07-26-2002, 08:06 PM
I found another thread elsewhere that hints at the new attraction being at USF... just seems odd to me.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11743&perpage=15&pagenumber=4

ksdave
07-26-2002, 10:12 PM
Everybody seems to be missing this key section of the interview which, in my eyes, says that the third attraction would also be at Studios, as opposed to IOA:

"Universal Studios Florida is 12 years old so we're relaunching the park with enhancements we think are more relevant to today's audiences. "

IOA is still relatively new, while many parts of USF, including Kong, are getting really old. I think they're trying to avoid letting most of their attractions get too old (like Magic Kingdom has).

ksdave
07-26-2002, 10:21 PM
Oh, by the way, Chris McFly said back on page 1:

"Oh my god. This is going to turn out to be the longest thread Disboards history."

I don't think you have to worry about that for a long time, Chris. The longest thread in Disboards history is currently "Parks Games....Let's Play" and the sequel "Parks Games Part Deux: Let's Play More". As of tonight, they have had 6,207 posts and 415 pages on their thread. I believe the first thread is the only thread ever closed by the moderators because it was overloading the servers. If you want to see it, it's on the Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies forum.

chris mcfly
07-27-2002, 07:18 PM
From a business standpoint, it is important to remember that **not enough people have experienced Islands of Adventure for the first time**, so putting a headliner attraction in there wouldnt make much sense.

If you ask someone from Utah what Islands of Adventure is, they probably wouldnt have a clue. And I am not just saying that because people from Utah are stupid, I am saying it because the word just simply is not "out there" on IOA yet (but the word IS getting out there, more and more every season). Sure, IOA is old hat to us here, becuase most of the people that post on this board are either theme park fans or live in the orlando area, or both. Sure, WE all want a new blockbuster pow-bang boom headliner one-of-a-kind state of the art groundbreaking thrillride experience attraction every year, but its just not a good business decision (im not saying its not a bad idea to have a lure for the locals though).

USF is/was an older, more dated park that a lot of people have seen. By putting new attractions in there, it brings people back into the park and .... ya know, I dont even know what the point of this post was supposed to be. I am just bored at work and I started typing and I dont even know what direction i was heading in. Alright, im outta here.

Notatourist
07-27-2002, 08:31 PM
If you remember correctly, it's speculation about what the next attraction will be.

Earl?

Nah. Too easy. It's more fun to guess.

laksirvak6
07-27-2002, 11:33 PM
I just had a revelation....we've all been thinking JP3, we don't even know the polt to JP4, and if my reading of the article was right it is going to be tied into that sequel?

rocketman23
07-28-2002, 09:35 AM
Well, since you see the dinos flying towards civilization at the end of JP3, I'm thinking it will be along the lines of the old monster film Q: The Winged Serpent. I'll let the plot summary speak for itself... http://us.imdb.com/Plot?0084556

laksirvak6
07-28-2002, 04:55 PM
eh....I dunno....Speilberg was babbling about how he has this great plot idea and such and such....and seeing as how JP/// didn't have much of a script until they were actually filming and was changed many, many, MANY times...I doubt it will have anything to do with the Pteranodons at the end...

larworth
08-05-2002, 01:05 PM
Chris

I can see the need for revitalizing the studios. However, if IOA suffers from a consumer awareness problem, won’t putting everything into the studios exacerbate this situation?

Just thought a new attraction would give IOA something to promote to help correct this imbalance. Plus, there is so much great theming at IOA I’d want to sponge off of it.

Should the next IOA attraction be coaster based? Is there a concern about reinforcing the misperception that IOA is just a “coaster” park? I wonder if a non-coaster thrill attraction isn’t a better choice. What is the marketing message about IOA they want the average consumer to have?

Don Karnage
08-06-2002, 12:11 PM
Scooby Doo?

The film was WB's but could they do something around the character? (As with Spidey, that movie wasn't their's either was it?)

Didn't I read there is a sequel in the works?

They have some sort of rights to Hanna Barbera stuff and I think ol' Scooby has shown some legs.

Besides, assuming (maybe wrong) that they are to use the Kong space they could probably come up with some sort of tie in. (Spooky museum setting?) He's very big again.

Just a dumb guess.

ksdave
08-06-2002, 12:30 PM
Don, I like your guess. Since UO and the mouse seem to try and match each other attraction for attraction (i.e. MIB vs. Buzz, Dr. Doom vs. ToT, etc.), it would be a good offset to MK's Haunted Mansion. With today's technology, they could probably really outdo the HM.

Lewisc
08-06-2002, 12:39 PM
? Is there a concern about reinforcing the misperception that IOA is just a “coaster” park Since IOA is a great coaster park (amoung other features) I would think they'd want a flying coaster to maintain their position.

Spaceman Spiff
08-06-2002, 08:30 PM
i dunno...

i still believe "mums" the word ;)

oh! oh! oh! i just thought about this, what about an austin powers attraction?

YEA BABY!

take a wild ride in a mini, while trying to capture dr. evil and there could even be a special apperance by fat ******* and mini me :p

how wicked would that be?

Spaceman Spiff
08-06-2002, 08:38 PM
i forgot to add this:

austin is an international man of mystery so that doesnt tie him directly to britain, what US state is anymore international than new york?

also mike meyers himself said he would like to do more austin powers movies. they dont take long to produce and it is a franchise that does very well and is reconized. i could definitely see another movie by 2004.

rocketman23
08-06-2002, 09:37 PM
As much as I'd LOVE for that to happen, don't think it will...

AdidiasChilla
08-09-2002, 05:06 PM
Could they be planing a Rockin' Rollercoaster knock-off themed as The Fast and The Furious???

WebmasterBarry
08-09-2002, 09:40 PM
It would be neat to make a steel or wooden racing coaster based on The Fast and the Furious.

I also thought it would be neat to put a wild mouse type coaster in Seuss Landing.

AdidiasChilla
08-09-2002, 10:13 PM
The reason I say Rockin' Rollercoaster is because of the launch, but that would be fun to have a racing launching coaster. The launch would simulate the felling of streetracing and the racing aspect is self explanatory.

WebmasterBarry
08-09-2002, 10:30 PM
You can still do a launched racing coaster. It can be like Lightning Racer on steel tracks. The heavier train wins! :)

rocketman23
08-09-2002, 11:16 PM
I guess you REALLY do like Lightning Racer, eh Barry? Yes a racer would certainly be fun... I loved the Racer at Kennywood and Gemini at CP. I don't want a RnRC spin-off because that ride is not that incredible, I think Universal has bigger plans for us.

DocBosch
08-11-2002, 10:41 PM
Gault said the new ride would be a Spidey caliber ride, utilizing new technology. Now, when most people think of themepark technolgy, they think of simulators, and not so much Roller Coasters. Now, of course, the question is, IOA or USF?

If the new 'big' attraction is at USF, and it's not 'Shrek' or "Jimmy Neutron', then I'm afraid it may be The Fast & The Furious. Afraid, because if that is true, it may replace my favorite ride.

Gault has been reported mentioning TF&TF as a possible replacement for BTTF, and he has been quoted saying that he wants to do something with BTTF by 2003. Well, at the BTTF message board, we are all optimistically hoping tha that means a re-vamped version of BTTF, but we all also have the nagging idea that, if BTTF go soon, it will be replaced by TF&TF.

They have been movieng 'Fast' movie cars into the USF park recently, not to mention merchandise... even right into the BTTF store.

Gault said the sequel to the movie may be coming out when the ride opens. If it were an attraction like Harry Potter, or LOTR, or Matrix, there wouldn't be a 'may' in there. It seems like he wasn't even sure if the sequel to this property was coming out. That sound alot like the 'Fast' sequel.

Now, if said new attraction is at IOA, then I'd have to guess a new JP ride (hopefully, the Jeep chase themed one). Aside from X-Men 2, there is no other movie property with a sequel coming out soon that would fit in any of the other islands other then JP. Gualt also said it was a movie we already saw. Does that mean it was a movie we already saw as a movie, or a movie we already saw as an attraction? If it's the latter, then I would have to go with JP again. And the JP4 rumours would put it into something that would require a 'may'.

Here's hopeing for a new JP ride, and nothing that will replace BTTF (aside from a new BTTF concept).

P.S. Whatever happened to the Mummy in the Kong building? Is that a sure thing, or could there be a diffeent attraction lodged in there?

-Kevin

Earl
08-12-2002, 08:23 AM
The next three are all at USF. Number three won't be Fast and Furious.

The next three are:

1. Jimmy Neutron (2003)

2. Shrek (2003)

3. Kong replacement (2004)

p.s. - Jeep ride rumor is just that.

All Aboard
08-12-2002, 09:46 AM
Has anyone experienced the new "Corkscrew Hill" at Busch Gardens Williamsburg? It's a large screen, large theater format simulator done in 3-D. It's quite effective. BG could have done more with it, but the attraction is good as it is.

I'm wondering if Shrek may be this type of attraction.

Barnsey
08-12-2002, 08:56 PM
To me, "The Fast & Furious" isn't as big as the other themes which UO use IMO. Many won't have a clue what the movie is about. Men in Black, Terminator, Jaws etc are all better known.

As for Harry Potter & Matrix, how would Universal get the rights to create a themepark attraction based on one of these when Warner Bros own the film rights? To the best of my knowledge, Six Flags may make attractions based on these films (esp Matrix) in the near future as they have with other WB films such as Batman.

I was trying to think about all the major sequels in 2003 and came to little answer for possibles. My only choice was X-men 2 but that would surely go into Marvel @ IOA.

LOTR does make alot of sense but is New Line a Universal company?

As for other possibilities, i KNOW universal already have a terminator attraction but the third film is MAJOR business, already hacking up A HUGE production cost in film history (about $170 million). Doesn't sound like a wise option though to have 2 terminator attractions.

Scooby Doo is also a major Six Flags ride franchise now so i'd doubt if this would be a replacement, that would mean three kiddie attractions at once :(

Getting complicated ;)

ksdave
08-13-2002, 12:30 PM
New Line Cinema is an AOL-Time Warner Company.

EUROPA
08-13-2002, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by ksdave
New Line Cinema is an AOL-Time Warner Company.

Vivendi Universal owns 26.8 million shares in Time - Warner ..just to throw another wrench in the works....

Earl has said the attraction won't be the "Fast and Furious" ..which leads me to think it will be the Mummy attraction.

Or an ouside shot is a movie not from Universal Like Harry or Lord of the Rings.

All Aboard
08-13-2002, 01:05 PM
that would mean three kiddie attractions at once Are we sure that Shrek will be a kiddie attraction??

I agree that Fast & Furious (despite pretty solid box office numbers) just doesn't have wide enough appeal. All of the other featured films at USF have been very well known and have stood the test of time. F&F just doesn't naturally fit that description.

I was about to say that since F&F is based in LA, it just doesn't fit the New York theme where Kong currently is. But, of course, I was reminded that it has been an awful long time since a twister barrelled down the streets of Manhattan.

Earl
08-13-2002, 02:36 PM
To the name of this thread, sorry, but no secrets ...

The official release as to what the attraction will be will take place in the Spring of 2003.

The real question .. how long will this thread be by then? ;)

Barnsey
08-13-2002, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by gcurling
Are we sure that Shrek will be a kiddie attraction??

What I should have said is that Shrek will be a family attraction, appealing to mainly kids but some adults too (like Muppets 3D).

Hockeyman
08-13-2002, 03:49 PM
I still like the idea of a launced B&M indoor coaster to replace Kong.

All Aboard
08-13-2002, 05:10 PM
The official release as to what the attraction will be will take place in the Spring of 2003. So, it will be closed for 6 months before we learn what the new attraction will be?? That's no fun.

I haven't read this entire thread, but I'll put in my guess now. It will be an indoor coaster based on the Mummy. Read something today from a guy that gets things right quite often. In a discussion about Universal's attendance numbers outpacing Disney, he mentioned the three new USF attractions: Jimmy Nuetron, Shrek and the Mummy coaster. So, I'll just guess and say he's right.

robvia
08-14-2002, 10:14 AM
By 2005 B&M should have a 4D coaster. Took them 2 years to copy the flyer. I'll put in my vote for a 4D instead of a flyer at IOA. I rode stealth and it was too slow. If they do the flyer, make it faster, thru a forest with trees and tunnels, and full length. The SF versions are too short.

goofy4mickey48
08-14-2002, 04:06 PM
a new terminator, new movie will be coming out next year?

Barnsey
08-14-2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by goofy4mickey48
a new terminator, new movie will be coming out next year?

T3 has one of the biggest budgets of all time, and there is already a T4 in the works (a computer game company has gained the rights to make games based on both T3 and T4).

It seems that, in a way, they really want to re-ignite the Terminator phenomenon.

However, i doubt they would put 2 Terminator attractions in one park :( , plus, Warner Bros are forking out the $170 million for the film

More info on T3:
http://www.thearnoldfans.com/movies/t3/info.htm

Afroman
08-15-2002, 06:38 PM
Actually Barnsey, Warn. Bros. has already forked out 210 million for it. They took a week break from shooting to "refigure" the final budget because of the high costs of everything. But that was about a week ago and this movie will go down as THE biggest budget movie ever....(pearl harbor 165mill)...exciting. My thoughts on the Kong replacement are as follows...Universal just signed Vin Diesel to do 3 (count them, that's a trilogy) that take place after the events of the film Pitch Black. Universal has decided that this will be their own personal "lord of the rings," "The Matrix," or "Harry potter" series. The director, David Thoewy (SP?), said that Pitch Black can be compared to The Hobbit, as the Hobbit was the prequel to Lord of the rings. Pitch Black will be the prequel to "The Chronicles of Riddick" which will come out some time in 2004 (summer?). This is the reason Vin will not be doing the Fast and the Furious sequel, can ya blame him..? (lets weigh it out, pop sequel movie that won't give any future direction in career, or sign on for trilogy that will be on the scale of Lord of the rings and put you in spotlight)....I've made my decision. Anyways to get back to subject, why not a future "world class" attraction based on a future world class movie series and the hottest action star out there. Well, I don't know if this made any sense to you guys but it makes sense to me...thoughts?:jester:

Spaceman Spiff
08-15-2002, 06:49 PM
hmmm... I never even thought about that Afroman. Thanks for shedding some light.

TonyM
08-16-2002, 09:01 PM
Why?
There are still more Mummy and/or Scorpian King Sequels to come,
This is the closest thing to a classic Universal "property" that has been given new life, and
whatever ride platform that you decide to utilize, the exterior could remain the same.
They could utilize the New York Street themeing and create an entrance to the "ride" through a newly created "New York Museum of Natural History" Facade. Maybe at the end of the street by the Twister entrance instead of the current Kong entrance if rumors are true that the new attraction will actually take up more space than the current Kong attraction. The Queue area would even look like a museum with the featured exhibit being the recent discoveries from a newly discovered archeological site. As guest walk through, somehow you would get locked in (ala the new Poseidon's Fury) and the only way out would be through boarding the new ride. I would prefer a Launched Indoor Coaster at this point but reading into Gault's comments, any type of ride platform that rivals Spiderman would do just fine also.
Six Months is a long time to wait until "official" word so I am sure more speculation on this attraction will continue to run rampant.
HAVE FUN

the Legend
08-16-2002, 09:46 PM
Actually after much speculation, tripidation and emancipation, I can reveal that I am the next attraction at US. I am appearing for a limited time and express passes will be a must. I will be soft opening during September. If I am a hit, I will extend my stay to accomodate guests.

Thank you for your time.
I have left the building.
Repeat. I have left the building.

WebmasterBarry
08-16-2002, 10:03 PM
Sorry, there is already a ride called the Legend at Holiday World. :)

I think the amusement park rides from "Spy Kids 2" would be way cool to install into the park!

Mittman
08-17-2002, 12:27 AM
Does anything fit the New York theme anymore? It used to be home of Kong and the Ghostbusters, but now it is the home to Twister and some mystery ride. Does anyone think Universal should work on the New York area and try to make it a different theme?

damo
08-17-2002, 11:26 AM
The latest article:
http://orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/orl-bizkong16081602aug16.story

Tony M
08-17-2002, 06:45 PM
Plus they said that Kong will be disassembled and put into storage for future use.
Hmmm...
Anyone want to rent Kong for their next Birthday Party?
HAVE FUN

ksdave
08-17-2002, 07:31 PM
Maybe they'll sell the pieces off on ebay like the mouse house did with parts of the old Journey Into Your Imagination ride. Anybody have a use for a tram in their backyard?? ;)

EUROPA
08-17-2002, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by ksdave
Maybe they'll sell the pieces off on ebay like the mouse house did with parts of the old Journey Into Your Imagination ride. Anybody have a use for a tram in their backyard?? ;)

...heck they haven't stoped there...Disney sells just about anything you can think of on Ebay.

TheSecondCook
08-18-2002, 06:36 PM
I'm not saying I have any insider knowledge for I'm pretty low on the food chain, but using a little common sense regarding previous comments, I have a good idea it will be a mummy attraction. It's one of Universal's hottest titles; Mummy Returns performed well enough that another sequal will more than likely be made; didn't Bob mention in an intervierw the third attraction would be based on a well known lisence with a sequal that will be in production eventually? Makes sense to me. Like others have said, a Mummy adventure inside a new yorkj museum would fit in the NY theme.

My personal opinion is it wouldn't be a coaster though; the studios go for a different audience than ioa. IOA is an adventure park, with thrills and chills; the studios invite you to ride the movies, putting you in the action. How would an indoor coaster put you inside the mummy movies?

I'm thinking something more alon the lines of the afore mentioned spiderman ride technology and disneyland's indiana jones (where each ride program is different than any other).

I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Earl
08-18-2002, 07:42 PM
There are no cigars being given out in this thread ...so far.

rocketman23
08-18-2002, 08:08 PM
So, it's not Mummy themed?:confused:

WebmasterBarry
08-18-2002, 08:59 PM
I think it will become Earl's office. :)

Megatoby
08-19-2002, 12:45 PM
One little Question (maybe only Earl can answer this one)

Someone told me, he had heard that they will reassamble Kong here in Germany for the German Themepark they are planing to open by 2005.

I think Earl's cigars would start running away by hearing this rumor;) :p :p

I can't imagine them disasambling them Kong in Orlando and reasambling Kong in Germany...

Maybe, Earl, you may put some light in here...:cool:

BTW, Earl, do you know anything about the Themepark here in Germany ???

Megatoby
08-19-2002, 12:47 PM
I don't know what's going on in me!

I couldn't resist......

I say just one word.

MATRIX ???????

I know we all discussed about this but I just wanted to say this one again, since Earl is handing out cigars *looool*..

Megatoby
08-19-2002, 12:47 PM
I don't know what's going on in me!

I couldn't resist......

I say just one word.

MATRIX ???????

I know we all discussed about this but I just wanted to say this once again, since Earl is handing out cigars *looool*..

jelly-beans
08-19-2002, 02:51 PM
Whatever happened to the Apollo 13 ride that was supposed to go into USF?

jb

Earl
08-19-2002, 08:09 PM
Simple answer .. Apollo 13 was just another one of those rumors.

WebmasterBarry
08-19-2002, 10:11 PM
I wonder if Earl will answer "yes" or "no" questions, like "Is the new attraction going to be a coaster?"

If it will be a coaster, I'm betting it will be a B&M.

Earl
08-19-2002, 10:26 PM
No ... but which 'no'?

Megatoby
08-20-2002, 04:15 AM
Maybe the new attraction will be like Spider-Man and will feature some coaster segments. Just remembered, reading somewhere that Universal Creatives are (or were) working on a way to do a "mix" between Spidey and a coaster.

Earl, is the new attraction going to include coaster elements?

pegasusEH
08-20-2002, 02:35 PM
Is this the ride that is going to be opening the year after next :( , if so, I perhaps ought to avoid reading anything about it as we are going next year and it won't go down to well with my bank manager if I tell him I HAVE to go again!

rocketman23
08-20-2002, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Megatoby
Maybe the new attraction will be like Spider-Man and will feature some coaster segments. Just remembered, reading somewhere that Universal Creatives are (or were) working on a way to do a "mix" between Spidey and a coaster.

Earl, is the new attraction going to include coaster elements?

That patent was posted online a few months back and was rumored to be an Apollo 13 ride...

laksirvak6
08-20-2002, 06:24 PM
well, if it was a B&M.....they have been developing rotating vehicles supposedley for "loading and unloading"....who knows....

rocketman23
08-21-2002, 03:01 PM
I don't think it is a B&M. If he meant "no" for one of those questions, then it would automatically mean no B&M. Because if he said "no" to roller coaster in general, then it wouldn't be a B&M since it wouldn't be a coaster, but if he said "no" to the B&M question, then it could still be a coaster. That's if I took what he said correctly...

WebmasterBarry
08-21-2002, 09:43 PM
Or did he say no to answering yes or no questions?

Come on, Spaceman Spiff, what are you hearing from the Hulk cart? :)

ksdave
08-21-2002, 10:15 PM
Personally, I'm hoping it's a nice, slow boat ride, with lots of singing wooden dolls dressed up like kids from all over the world and a frowning clown too.
Just kidding. Figured that would get a few of you folks going. :p

The Green Goblin
08-22-2002, 08:40 PM
Y'know....I was thinking of that "seen it before" criteria...and that it was a popular franchise. Although this probably won't fit into USF at all, there's an upcoming universal film that fits that perfect.
Red Dragon.
It's a movie that's been made before (Manhunter), and a prequel to the popular Hannibal Lecter films (Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal).
Doubt that's it, but it's been dwelling in my mind since I seen the trailer in theaters.

dkrfla
09-14-2002, 11:26 PM
Hey I know,

The new attraction will be called Earls Great Internet Guessing Game Adventure.

Just Kidding
Dkrfla

EUROPA
09-16-2002, 06:47 AM
Earl has already said that it won't be a Jurassic Park Ride.

MsDisney
09-16-2002, 02:26 PM
Sequel being key it has to be out now. We know it's going to be at IOA, now we know only Marvel Super Hero Island and Jurassic Park are based on films.

And we know it's going to be at IOA why? :confused: If you read the whole thread, Earl specifically says that there will be 3 upcoming attractions at USF: Jimmy Neutron, Shrek and the Kong replacement.

While JP4 might make sense, the idea has been squashed by Earl...as has the Fast and the Furious. And I'm afraid Earl would know...he doesn't need to speculate. ;)

So while it might make sense, someday...it's apparently NOT going to be in 2004...

Karen :smooth:

MsDisney
09-16-2002, 02:49 PM
Well the key to remember is 2004 will be the year the Ride and The Sequel are released.

The attraction that they're talking about here is Kongs replacement...and I think a Scorpion king theme has already been squashed as well. So I think we're looking at 2004. I believe it's set to be announced sometime in Spring of '03, so we have to keep guessing! :)

I was asking why you're saying it has to be in IOA, since Earl has already said it will be USF. They might open something else in '03, that hasn't been announced, I suppose, but I wouldn't imagine it would be a major attraction, I doubt USE is going to get 4 within the next 2 years.

Karen

EUROPA
09-16-2002, 03:57 PM
Cripes...!!! Mike do you read anything before you post? Did you even read the Interview? Where do you see that three attractions are going to open in 2003?

http://www.sptimes.com/2002/07/13/Business/Park_president_s_stra.shtml

Q: Your creative people are considering whether to change the theme of the Konfrontation ride, and you plan to open new attractions next spring to replace the Fantastic World of Hanna-Barbera and Alfred Hitchcock attractions. What's going on?

A: Universal Studios Florida is 12 years old so we're relaunching the park with enhancements we think are more relevant to today's audiences. Hitchcock was a strong product. But (the movie) Shrek was huge. So we struck a deal with SKG Dreamworks to make a 3-D film for us that continues the story. Our Shrek will be like our Terminator 2 3-D ride on steroids. It'll be shot in what we call "Ogrevision" and will have live special effects such as mists and smoke and seats that move and do other tricks to the audience.

Q: You're planning a third new attraction for 2004, but even your top creative experts have zipped lips about it. Do you?

A: We think we'll get a green light within a month for a new blockbuster attraction. It will be on the state-of-the-art level of our Spiderman ride. It'll be a thrill ride based on new technology and a completely different type of experience than Spider-Man. It'll be based on a movie you've seen before. There may be a sequel to that film franchise come out the year we open the ride.

EUROPA
09-16-2002, 04:49 PM
...and He calls me at home and tells me that ....

Wait there is not proof of that either.

How convenient is it that you now are talking about a news interview, which is unquotable? When everyone else in this thread was talking about a newspaper article with a link. Where was that vauable piece of the puzzle ealrier ? I'm going to call "shenanigans" on your news interview until somebody with a little more credibility around here backs that up.

scooby-the-doo
09-17-2002, 03:45 PM
> Although it has been rumored that Fast and The Furious would be taking over BTTF in late 2003

Please NO. Doesn't this sound like a good ol' idea? Replace an excellent ride based on a classic and reveared film trilogy with a ride based on one of the biggest piles of trash released last year? By all means refurb BTTF, but stop replacing rides with the latest throw-a-way hit. I'd shed a tear just loosing the quite brilliant pre-show with Doc and Biff :(

rob@rar.org.uk
09-18-2002, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Earl
No ... but which 'no'?

Earl, this is just a silly question so hope you don't mind - you've given firm answers to say what the attraction WON'T be, but how would you react if someone made a lucky guess that was very close to the proposed Kong replacement? Would you say "yes, have a cigar" (thus giving the game away) or would you offer a tactful "no comment"?

Regards

Rob

Barnsey
09-18-2002, 03:47 PM
I decided to go through the whole internet movie database for releases in 2003 & 2004 and compiled the following list of possibilities, given by the impression that the ride will be opened to coincide with a sequel . Remember, these are purely just possibilities, not actual 100% ideas (i'm not sure about what Universal can get their hands on, film rights etc):

Matrix 2 & 3
Fast & the furious 2
Resident Evil 2
Tomb Raider 2
Terminator 3
X-men 2
Harry Potter 2 or 3
Scooby Doo 2
Mission Impossible 3

Thats all I could pull out of the database, from a selection of 800 movies expected to be released in 03/04 :)

It's also worth thinking about the recent shake-up at Vivendi Universal and how that might have changed plans for further attractions.

EUROPA
09-18-2002, 03:54 PM
Universal has several "Theme park rights" to movies made by different companies ... so there is no need to remove any from the list even if they aren't owned by Universal directly.

Barnsey
09-18-2002, 04:00 PM
Yeah, but the fact stands that the two matrix sequels are warner bros films, which in turn could mean rides for the six flags parks just like Batman & Superman, what a shame.

Also, a tomb raider attraction has already been built at Paramount's Kings Island.

Then of course you have the fact that Scooby Doo is another franchise at Six Flags/WBMW Parks which has led to shoot-em-up haunted house attractions to be built.

EUROPA
09-18-2002, 04:13 PM
I do read but apparently you don't read what you post.

All you need to do now is remove the ones that have nothing to do with Universal Studios.

I was replying to the "logic" of this statement.

Mittman
09-18-2002, 05:15 PM
Those films listed aren't the only sequels coming out in 2004. The Chronicles of Riddick is one possibility, but then again I don't see how that would lend itself to the whole New York theme. There is American Pie 3, but honestly can anybody see that as a ride? Fast and the Furious 2 is one possibility, but I think Earl already said no to that one. It could be The Martix 2 and 3, I know they are coming out in 2003, but it is still a possibility. However, I think a Matrix themed ride is just wishful thinking. I still think a Mummy themed ride is the best bet. It is the one of the biggest Universal properties, and it would lend itself perfectly to a ride. We will all find out soon enough what the ride really is, so lets just keep this speculation friendly for now. No need to chime in and tell somebody why their guess is wrong, because nobody on here knows any more about the ride than anybody else . . . except Earl ;)

EUROPA
09-18-2002, 05:46 PM
Mike your not getting what I'm saying. I'm simply saying that just because they are not owned by Universal that is not the reason to remove them from possible attractions there may be other reasons as you have pointed out and others have mentioined on the other 8 pages of this thread go back and read you have covered alot of them again. In your first statment you wanted to remove them just because Universal did not own them. Again I'm simply saying this would not keep them from developing a ride based on those films.

EUROPA
09-19-2002, 12:40 AM
You mean like that "Twister" that touched down in New York" last year? Again go back a few pages..its been coverd.

Again..the mummy has been covered.

X-men has been covered.

Earl would know and he already knows what the new attraction is. Thats not his real name you know.

"Name droping" like you know these people perosnally only proves how little you know. Everytime you post it shows how little you really do know. Just because you go to "Hardees" everyday of you "life" does not mean you know everything about Hardees and the upcoming products or management of the corperation.

Megatoby
09-19-2002, 12:53 PM
Well. What to say ?

Don't say Earl doesn't know what he is saying !:mad:
Earl, who, by the way didn't say anything for the last month, is an very very hign employee. That is what I belive. We can happy we have some Universal employees posting here. I personally belive Earl is somewhere in managment level or somewhere where he has to know almost everything. We could ask those, who met him in person. But hey, that musnt be anyones aim. If anyone of us identified Earl,would be be bad for him.

Hope you got what I wanted to tell you !

NOW a very serious question:
"WHERE IS EARL???" I really miss him. He even shut his pm box out. Barry, anyone, whats going on?

Notatourist
09-19-2002, 03:55 PM
Europa-

What can I say...thank you for that...

I won't speak for Earl, but it is VERY crazy right now, and he might just be really busy.

Megatoby
09-20-2002, 12:21 AM
Mike, how right you probably are!
Earl knows a lot or shall I say everything ?:rolleyes:
He is the man! Everyone who knows him a very little bit knows what I mean. He is in that buisiness for a really long time. He knows what he's doing. I really think he knows "the secret". So what ? I don't start bombing him with questions. I guess some of us should have realized what this causes. Remember the Jim Hill Thread.

So Mike, you are right in this point. Earl knows but he won't say. Why ? Thats easy. He loves his work and the company he works for. He protects the company. He loves his and his co-workers jobs and doesn't want to destroy other people's AND HIS hard work. But now, let's stop discuss about someone who is not here!:D

Hopíng to see Earl again soon

@Notatourist. I hope you know I didn't mean you. And thanks for your comment. You are alway welcome:D !