PDA

View Full Version : We're driving 17 hours??? AGAIN??? Yes Dear, I'm THAT kinda guy.

itJeff
10-31-2009, 12:04 PM
Welcome to my first attempt at a PTR. :welcome:

WHO
There are 5 of us. DW and myself, our girls will be 11, 7 and 5 at the time of travel. This is the 2nd trip for the youngest two, the 3rd for the oldest DD and myself, and the 4th(or 5th?) for DW.

WHAT
We have 7 day base tickets. I'm thinking we'll forgo the :bounce: 'Hopping', and add it on there if we find we need it. We'll pay OOP for the Water Park instead of adding WPM, since we don't plan to do DQ or anything else.

WHEN
We'll be heading to the world for our dates of May 23 - 30 2010. :woohoo:

WHERE
We are from Arkansas.... Oh, that's not what you wanted to know. :laughing:
We are staying at POR, probably in the AB section since that's were the trundle beds are.

HOW
We are driving from Arkansas. :drive: (I knew that went in here somewhere :lmao:) We will go trough Memphis to Atlanta, then down to Orlando. The vehicle is a 2006 Toyota Sienna (mini van). We'll need to get a DVD player before we go. :happytv:

THE PLANS
I've tried to think far enough ahead to know what our ADRs will need to be based on where we'll be that day. I want to be sure I'm not missing something important. Hopefully I don't have anything planned that is too difficult to accomplish with 3 kiddos in tow. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. :thumbsup2 TIA

Dining is in DarkOrchid
Parks are in Green
Entertainment is in Red

NOTE: An updated Itenerary is located on page 2 :)
Fri May 21 - Partial Travel Day
Leave town around 4:00pm and drive 5 hours. Hope to stay with DW's cousin in Memphis that night.

Sat May 22 - Travel Day

Drive, Drive
Potty break
Drive, Drive
"We just took a potty break! Do you really need to?"
Drive, Drive, Drive
Spend the night somewhere in GA - We may decide to try to finish the drive and stay somewhere cheap around Orlando that night so we'll be closer to the world the next morning.

Sun May 23 - Partial Travel Day - DHS
Finish driving (maybe 4 hours) if needed. Arrive no later than noon.

'Check-in' @ POR
head for DHS
Tour the park until dinner
5:00 Dinner @ SciFi DineIn Theatre (we've not eaten here)
After Dinner secure seats for Fantasmic!
Possibly more touring while someone saves seats
9:00 Fantasmic! (if it gets rained out we plan to try again another night)
Back to POR- Sleep!

Mon May 24 - Epcot FW

Breakfast in Room
Tour FW
CS Lunch @ _________
More Touring
REST in park (DD5 and DD7 will probably collapse in our lap on a bench somewhere)
6:00 Dinner @ Garden Grill (We've not eaten here)
9:00 Illuminations (or back to DHS for Fantasmic if we didn't see it the night before)
Back to POR - Sleep

Tue May 25 - AK

Breakfast in Room
Tour AK
CS Lunch @ _________
More Touring until Park Close
7:30 Dinner @ 1900 P.F. (We've not eaten here)
Back to POR - Sleep

Wed May 26 - MK

Early light Breakfast in Room
Arrive for Rope Drop - Tour MK
10:30 Brunch @ Crystal Palace (youngest two haven't eaten here)
More Touring
3:00 Parade
Dinner @ __________
9:00 Wishes
Back to POR - Sleep

Thu May 27 - Un-Theme Park day

SLEEP IN!!!!
11:00 Head to Blizzard Beach
Lunch in Water Park
Spalsh! Swim. Slide! Splash! until around 3:00
Possibly DTD???
6:00 Dinner @ Wispering Canyon (We've not eaten here)
7:30 Chip & Dale's Campfire Sing-along @ Ft. Wilderness (we've never done this)
9:45 View Electrical Water Pagent from FW (we've never seen it either)
Back to POR - Sleep

Fri May 28 - Epcot WS (pm EMH until midnight)

Breakfast in Room
Tour WS
11:00 Lunch @ Akershus Princess Storybook Lunch(we've not eaten here)
More Touring
Dinner @ ____________
9:00 Illuminations (if we didn't see it on Monday)
More Touring
Back to POR - Sleep

Sat May 29 - MK

Breakfast in Room
Tour MK
CS Lunch @ _________
More Touring
Head to Contemporary
5:30 Dinner @ Chef Mickey's (We've not eaten here)
Back to MK
9:00 SpectroMagic Parade (we've not seen this)
10:00 Wishes
Back to POR - Sleep

Sun May 30 - MK Partial Travel Day

Breakfast in Room
Pack up Car
Tour MK
CS Lunch @ _________
One Last Ride
Head Home

Mon May 31 - Travel Day (Memorial Day)

Drive, Drive
Potty break
Drive, Drive
Drive, Drive, Drive
Arrive Home still singing "It's A Small World After All, It's A Small World After All. It's A Small World After All. It's A Small, Small World!" :rolleyes1

FreezinRafiki
11-02-2009, 02:42 PM
I quite a full trip you have planned.
First off, you'll need to add in a few more "We just took a potty break! Do you really need to?" for each travel day. Heck, add in a few for each day in the parks as well. :laughing:
As for CS eating a Epcot - I highly recommend Seasons. It's in "Land" pavilion. We stumbled upon it one time while leaving Soarin. You get enough of the burgers and fries at other locations - Seasons has really nice sandwiches, wraps, etc. I don't recall what they had on the kids menu, but my kids (4 and 2 at the time) both got stuff that they really liked.
For AK, I loved Flame Tree BBQ, but unless they changed it, I don't recall a kids menu. What we've done in the past is sent DW and the kids over to Pizzafari (gotta love the air conditioned dining rooms), while FIL and I got some food from Flame Tree. It's not too long of a walk over to Pizzafari with the food to join the rest of the family already eating their pizza.

It's hard for me to accurately critique at touring plan because I'm so used to having mine changed, sometimes weeks or months in advance, sometimes on 5 minute notice. :sad1:
Anyway, enjoy your trip!

the4princesses
11-02-2009, 02:54 PM
WHISPERING CANYON!! YOUR IN FOR A TREAT!! SUPRISE! SUPRISE!! HAVE FUN!!:dance3:

itJeff
11-02-2009, 06:01 PM
WHISPERING CANYON!! YOUR IN FOR A TREAT!! SUPRISE! SUPRISE!! HAVE FUN!!:dance3:

Yeah, I know to ask for ketchup. Just not sure what happens when we do. :confused3

Any other tips?

FreezinRafiki
11-02-2009, 08:47 PM
Yeah, I know to ask for ketchup. Just not sure what happens when we do. :confused3

Any other tips?

We've been there twice, and it can be very different each visit. One thing to keep in mind - there is a "back" dining room. There's about half a dozen or so tables back there and you really feel left out of all of the fun going on out front. You don't have to sit back there. If the seater leads you back there, you are completely within your right to request a different table. It happened to us last trip. We had to wait another 10 minutes or so, but we were seated in the main dining room. Just be polite but insistent.

Oh yeah, and they have free refills on the milk shakes. :cool1:

DisneyDaddy-O
11-03-2009, 08:48 AM
We have never been to SciFi but we go to Mama Melrose once every trip we really love it there, food is great.

One thing we love to do if the kiddos are not too pooped is get off the bus at the FQ side and walk back to POR along the river in the evening. Really nice and peaceful and helps work off all those burgers and fries at the CS's. (even though nothing counts when eating at Disney);)

Have a great trip, looks pretty good to me.:thumbsup2

itJeff
11-03-2009, 01:02 PM
I quite a full trip you have planned.
First off, you'll need to add in a few more "We just took a potty break! Do you really need to?" for each travel day. Heck, add in a few for each day in the parks as well. :laughing:

As for CS eating a Epcot - I highly recommend Seasons. It's in "Land" pavilion. We stumbled upon it one time while leaving Soarin. You get enough of the burgers and fries at other locations - Seasons has really nice sandwiches, wraps, etc. I don't recall what they had on the kids menu, but my kids (4 and 2 at the time) both got stuff that they really liked.
For AK, I loved Flame Tree BBQ, but unless they changed it, I don't recall a kids menu. What we've done in the past is sent DW and the kids over to Pizzafari (gotta love the air conditioned dining rooms), while FIL and I got some food from Flame Tree. It's not too long of a walk over to Pizzafari with the food to join the rest of the family already eating their pizza.

It's hard for me to accurately critique at touring plan because I'm so used to having mine changed, sometimes weeks or months in advance, sometimes on 5 minute notice. :sad1:
Anyway, enjoy your trip!

My girls know that we only stop if we need to get gas. :lmao: (with three DDs plus the DW that obviously isn't happening.)

I'll add Seasons to the 'look for' list while we're in Epcot. I haven't heard of it.

I've heard good things about Flame Tree BBQ. We'll probably try to hit it while we're there.

We've been there twice, and it can be very different each visit. One thing to keep in mind - there is a "back" dining room. There's about half a dozen or so tables back there and you really feel left out of all of the fun going on out front. You don't have to sit back there. If the seater leads you back there, you are completely within your right to request a different table. It happened to us last trip. We had to wait another 10 minutes or so, but we were seated in the main dining room. Just be polite but insistent.

Oh yeah, and they have free refills on the milk shakes. :cool1:

Thanks for the tip! :thumbsup2
Free milk shake refills?!?!?! Awesome! :yay:

We have never been to SciFi but we go to Mama Melrose once every trip we really love it there, food is great.

One thing we love to do if the kiddos are not too pooped is get off the bus at the FQ side and walk back to POR along the river in the evening. Really nice and peaceful and helps work off all those burgers and fries at the CS's. (even though nothing counts when eating at Disney);)

Have a great trip, looks pretty good to me.:thumbsup2

I thought about Mama Melrose, so we could get the F! package. But, I don't think we'll have any trouble getting seats for F! in May (at least I hope).

We'll have our car, and will probably drive ourselves to the parks. But, I have heard how beautiful the PO resort is. Is it worth the walk from POR to FOFQ? We'll probably see a lot of the riverside part anyway. How far is it, and is there anything special you recommend doing?

Thanks for all the tips! :thanks:

itJeff
11-03-2009, 04:00 PM
Now I'm reconsidering our arrival day.

Park hours for May show that on the 23rd MK has EMH hours from 11pm until 2am. I wonder if we would have a better time in MK the first day.

Obviously, if we did this we would not be able to anything the next morning. We would have to sleep until 11 (at least). So, that blows half the day.

Another problem with this is that Fantasmic isn't showing when I thought it would be. It's on the schedule now for Sun 23, Tue 25 and Wed 26. So, if we didn't see it on Sunday, then we would need to go to DHS on Tue or Wed. But that messes the whole rest of the schedule up, and I can't seem to fit everything in nicely.

:scared1: What do I do? I guess if we added the park-hopper back on, we could do DHS on arrival day, see F! then hop over to MK for the EMHs until we drop.
That would leave us sleeping in until 11ish on our first Epcot Day. So we still lose half a day there. But, we'll be in Epcot for late EMHs later in the week, so I think we could use that to make up any lost time.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........ :confused3
Are late EMHs in MK worth $277, and losing half a day in Epcot?

yourMaire83
11-08-2009, 05:20 PM
Staying at POR as well... and very excited after all the great pictures I’ve seen on here. They have entertainment there Wed-Sat nights that’s supposed to be great; Yehaw Bob is the performer’s name. FQ has jazz type entertainment that’s supposed to be good as well.

We are not doing park hopping this time either. At $55 extra pp, we’d rather go to Cirque du Soleil.

Just heard a podcast on WDWToday’s archives about counter service meals at the parks.
Here are their suggestions:
AK – Yak & Yeti Express, Flame Tree Barbeque
Studios- Backlot Express, Starring Rolls, Catalina Eddies
MK – Pecos Bill
Epcot – Sunshine Seasons (which another poster mentioned), Boulangerie Patisserie (France), and Tangierine Café (Morocco)
Also - Since you will be near Downtown Disney, they recommend Wolfgang Puck Express and Earl of Sandwich there
I’ve heard a lot of bad things about the Sci-Fi Drive in. They play a very short loop of movie previews so you see the same ones over and over during your meal. If you haven’t been to the 50s Prime Time Café, 50s is supposed to be monumentally better.

We went to the Disney website and picked our favorite rides and just got our customized maps in the mail a couple days ago. They’re amazing and they’re FREE! It’s a must do in my opinion.

My advice for parks is to avoid MK on Sat and Mon if you can, and if you know you aren’t going to stay up late (or get up early) for EMH, to go to a different park on that day. DH and I are going to take advantage of the Evening EMH a few nights of our trip, but on days where that is not a factor our strategy is to go to a park that had EMH the day before. The idea is that they will be the deadest park that day since most people went the day before.

Enjoy your trip!!!! ::MinnieMo::MickeyMo

MiJo
11-13-2009, 05:32 PM
If you see Illuminations on Monday, I would definitely block Friday evening (after 8:30) to catch Bob "The Piano Man" Jackson at POR. You will not be disappointed that you did. Bob is some of the best family entertainment at Disney and is well worth making some time for.

itJeff
11-13-2009, 09:59 PM
Thanks yourMaire83 & MiJo. Several people have said to make sure we go see Yeehaw Bob. We should be able to do that one night. Our girls will love that.

I get to make my ADRs tomorrow. I think. Tomorrow is the 190 day mark. I'm NOT going to get up at the crack of dawn. I mean, it's Saturday. I sleep in on Saturday. I just hope all the good times aren't gone by noon! :rotfl:

itJeff
11-14-2009, 12:47 PM
... or not.

Apparently I misunderstood the "10 extra days" thing. Resort guests get to make reservations @ 180 days, for the day they check in and 10 days after that. Makes perfect sense. :thumbsup2

So, I have to wait 10 more days... :rolleyes1

FreezinRafiki
11-19-2009, 10:23 AM
Only a few more days until ADR time. Have you finalized your dining plans?

itJeff
11-21-2009, 01:13 PM
Wow, Barry! Someone is reading this! I need to do better about making it a true trip report. Life has been a little hectic the past couple of weeks, with the girls activities and school, and my classes and church and etc, etc, etc. :scared1:

So, yes to answer your question. I have changed a few things up and (hopefully) finalized the dining plans. Tuesday is the day to make the ADRs. At least that's what the CM said when I tried to call last week. :rolleyes:

So, here's the plan for TS dining as it stands now. Selections haven't changed, just the days. We'll see if anything changes when I make the ADRs.

Sun May 23 - 7:30 pm 1900 Park Faire
Mon May 24 - 6:00 pm Garden Grill
Tue May 25 - 6:00 pm SciFi Drive In
Wed May 26 - none
Thu May 27 - 6:00 pm Wispering Canyon (before C&D campfire singalong)
Fri May 28 - 9:30 am Akershus
Sat May 29 - 10:30 am Crystal Palace
- 7:30 pm Chef Mickeys

The one for Crystal Palace is supposed to be a late Breakfast, a brunch, a substitute for lunch that day. But, I don't know how late they serve breakfast. So, that may move to a little later time slot depending on how late it runs.

The next post will outline some other potential changes that could happen. :rolleyes1

FreezinRafiki
11-21-2009, 08:19 PM
Well, it's either read the DIS boards or actually do work. Not much of a competition there.

I don't know how early of a riser you are, but at 6:01am Central Time Disney's Online Reservation system opens to the next day. (At least is did this summer when I made my ADRs.) You get a full hour before the phone lines open.

Looks like Crystal Palace servers breakfast until 11:30 (http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/diningdetail.cfm?Restaurant.ID=112)

Good Luck!

itJeff
11-23-2009, 10:54 PM
Thanks Barry :thumbsup2 That should work perfectly then!

About a week ago, we found out that a family we know may be going to WDW the same time as us. Our DD is in the same grade as their DD, and they are BFF's. (their terminology) :rotfl:

The parents haven't told the kids yet, because they're not sure of the dates. They have to wait for the vacation calendar to get to them. But, the dates we'll be there are the exact dates they want to go. When my DD spent the night with her BFF the mom brought her home the next morning. DD was telling them that we were going to The World next year. Of course the mom came in and talked to us to find out all the details. They've never been to the Mouse's House and are really excited, and she was a little overwhelmed at all the information we started unloading on her. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

So, we told her that one night we would keep their kids (boy-4 and girl-7) so they could have a night-out, and they could keep ours one night. She was (of course) open to the idea. So, our plans may change slightly if/when this ever works out. We probably won't know until after January, when they are able to set their vacation. But, we're really hoping that this might work out. Our 10th anniversary is in April next year. We had planned to take a 'adults only' trip. But, that has been put on the back burner for now. So, it would be great to get to celebrate one evening while at The World. :woohoo:

Okay, off to bed. I get up early in the morning to make ADRs. :cool1::cheer2::woohoo::thumbsup2

itJeff
11-24-2009, 03:39 PM
WooHoo! ADRs are made!

I got up later than I meant to. I forgot to set the alarm earlier. So at 6:45 am I realized, as I was hitting snooze' that I HAD TO GET UP!!!

I got booted up, then turned the computer on. :rotfl2: I went directly down the information superhighway and exited at disneyworld.com. I started with the restaurant that I thought might be the most difficult to get - dinner at 1900 Park Faire. No problem. :thumbsup2 Next, breakfast at aksherus. Again, no problem. :yay: I breezed through all of my ADRs without any problems. :cool2:

The only snag I hit was for Garden Grill in Epcot. For some reason the site took me to the reservation page for Garden Grove at the Swan. I know I typed the right name in. :rolleyes1 ...and why does Disney have two restaurants with such similar names? Sheesh!

So, now that the ADRs are made I need to figure out what to plan next.

itJeff
11-25-2009, 01:36 PM
I've changed the plans for everything at least twice. So, I thought it would be good to update the posted itinerary.
:offtopic: Why is 'itinerary' such a hard word to spell? I misspell it every time. :lmao:

ADRs have already been made. So, our reservation times are reflected below.

Dining is in DarkOrchid
Parks are in Green
Entertainment is in Red

Updated Itenerary as of 11/25/09 12:27 pm :laughing:

Fri May 21 - Partial Travel Day
Leave town around 3:00pm and drive 5 hours. Hope to stay with DW's cousin in Memphis that night.

Sat May 22 - Travel Day

Drive, Drive
Potty break
Drive, Drive
Drive, Drive, Drive
Lunch somewhere around the Atlanta area. (and potty break)
Drive, Drive
Potty break
Drive, Drive
Drive, Drive, Drive
Arrive in the Orlando area. We'll stay offsite somewhere.

Sun May 23 MK

'Check-in' @ POR
head for MK
Tour the park
CS Lunch @ _________
Head back to POR. Officially get into our room. Possibly take a nap.
Back to MK - More touring
7:30 Dinner with Cinderella @ 1900 Park Faire (we've not eaten here)
9:00 SpectroMagic Parade (we've not seen this)
10:00 Wishes
Possibly more touring - MK is open until 2:00 am
Back to POR- Sleep!

Mon May 24 - Epcot FW

Breakfast in Room
Tour FW
CS Lunch @ _________
More Touring
REST in park (DD5 and DD7 will probably collapse in our lap on a bench somewhere)
6:00 Dinner with Chip & Dale @ Garden Grill (We've not eaten here)
9:00 Illuminations
Back to POR - Sleep

Tue May 25 - DHS

Breakfast in Room
head for DHS
Tour the park
6:00 Dinner @ SciFi DineIn Theatre (we've not eaten here)
After Dinner secure seats for Fantasmic!
Possibly more touring while someone saves seats
9:00 Fantasmic!
Back to POR- Sleep!

Backup Plan
If F! is rained out, we will switch the next two days. Wednesday becomes our 'rest' day. We will add an extra park day to our ticket and go see Fantasmic on Wed evening. Then Thursday becomes AK day, and we'll still make our ADR for that evening and see the C&D campfire singalong.

Wed May 26 - AK

Breakfast in Room
Tour AK
CS Lunch @ Flame Tree BBQ
More Touring until park closes - or until we get bored. Whichever comes first
Dinner on our own, probably outside the World.
Back to POR - Sleep

Thu May 27 - A Very Merry Un-Theme Park Day

SLEEP IN!!!!
sometime around noon head to a Beach (need suggestions for which beach)
Lunch at the Beach
Spalsh! Swim. Slide! Splash! until around 3:00ish
Possibly DTD???
6:10 Dinner @ Whispering Canyon (We've not eaten here)
7:30 Campfire Sing-along with Chip & Dale @ Ft. Wilderness (we've never done this)
9:45 View Electrical Water Pagent from FW (we've never seen it either)
Back to POR - Sleep

Fri May 28 - Epcot WS (pm EMH until midnight)

Ride something in FW if there's time
9:30 Breakfast with the Princesses @ Akershus (we've not eaten here)
11:00 Tour WS
CS Lunch @ ____________
More Touring - We'll probably will try to save the world with Kim and Ron
CS Dinner @ ____________
9:00 Illuminations (if we didn't see it on Monday) Otherwise, we'll head back to POR to see Yee Haw Bob
Back to the room to sleep

Sat May 29 - MK

Light Breakfast in Room
Tour MK
10:25 Brunch with Pooh @ Crystal Palace
More Touring
Head to Contemporary
7:30 Dinner with Mickey @ Chef Mickey's (We've not eaten here)
Back to MK
9:00 SpectroMagic Parade (if we didn't see it Sunday)
10:00 Wishes(if we didn't see it Sunday)
Back to POR - Sleep

Sun May 30 - MK Partial Travel Day

Breakfast in Room
Pack up Car
Tour MK
CS Lunch @ _________
One Last Ride
2:00ish Head Home

Mon May 31 - Travel Day (Memorial Day)

Drive, Drive
Potty break
Drive, Drive
Drive, Drive, Drive
Arrive Home still singing "It's A Small World After All, It's A Small World After All. It's A Small World After All. It's A Small, Small World!" :rolleyes1

DisneyDaddy-O
11-25-2009, 02:57 PM
I must of missed the memo of when this turned into a full PTR.:lmao:

I'm subbed and ready to go.popcorn::

You know that now that this is a TR, you have to keep it updated because Don is just waiting for someone to pass his TR Procrastination World Title on to. :lmao::rotfl2:

itJeff
11-27-2009, 10:58 PM

You know that now that this is a TR, you have to keep it updated because Don is just waiting for someone to pass his TR Procrastination World Title on to. :lmao::rotfl2:

Yeah, I felt compelled to make it more of a PTR when I found out people were actually reading it. It is challenging to think that I need to come up with an update on a regular basis. I hope that I don't win the TRPWT (Trip Report Procrastination World Title). :scared1:

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

dvczerfs
11-28-2009, 08:08 PM
wow i.t, how did i miss the pre trip report!!! your going to drive, in a car with 4 women? :lmao::lmao::worship::worship:

itJeff
11-28-2009, 09:10 PM
Yeah, I know. That's just how cheap I am. :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

dvczerfs
11-29-2009, 06:14 AM

we do it w/ 2 wives, 18,17,11 but we have 2 cars. well atleast you wont get lost.there will be plenty of direction giving:lmao: you masy want to pencil in more pee stops.

goofy Jr. 88
11-30-2009, 06:54 PM
Whispering Canyon Cafe is my favorite restaurant in Disney. Enjoy! :thumbsup2

At some point, the servers lead all of the kids around the room while the kids are riding on a hobby horse. Great fun.
We have been there twice and it is a hoot. Slightly different experience each time. I hope you get a server with a lot of personality.:)

Don't forget to ask for ketchup.:rotfl2:

Have a fantastic trip.

dvczerfs
12-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Whispering Canyon Cafe is my favorite restaurant in Disney. Enjoy! :thumbsup2

At some point, the servers lead all of the kids around the room while the kids are riding on a hobby horse. Great fun.
We have been there twice and it is a hoot. Slightly different experience each time. I hope you get a server with a lot of personality.:)

Don't forget to ask for ketchup.:rotfl2:

Have a fantastic trip.

make sure your thursty, they love refilling you glass!:thumbsup2

jundland
12-07-2009, 08:57 PM
Hey, just read your report and it seems that you have a good plan lined out so far.

My family and I drive from Arkansas also and it's not that bad. What area are you from?(If you don't mind telling)

standleyent1
12-07-2009, 09:07 PM

Where in Arkansas are you from? We are from Rogers, sounds like you could be close to us as 17 hrs is about what it takes us to drive to the World.
:banana::banana:

itJeff
12-07-2009, 10:12 PM
Hey, just read your report and it seems that you have a good plan lined out so far.

My family and I drive from Arkansas also and it's not that bad. What area are you from?(If you don't mind telling)

Where in Arkansas are you from? We are from Rogers, sounds like you could be close to us as 17 hrs is about what it takes us to drive to the World.

Hey there! We're in Ft. Smith. I grew up just across the OK state line, and DW grew up in Russellville.

We know another family here that drove this past summer and stayed somewhere overnight in Mississippi.
Do either of you drive straight through? Or do you spend one night somewhere on the way down?

Which route do y'all take? (we just turned this into a southern thread :lmao::lmao::lmao:) We're taking I-40 to Memphis, Hwy-78 to Birmingham, I-20 to Atlanta, then I-75 down into FL. I've never been through GA, so I'm hoping it's a nice drive. :thumbsup2

jundland - If I remember right from the DisDads thread, you're going around the same time we are. Now you know where we'll be on what day, so you can avoid where we are. We seem to attract crowds. :rotfl2:

standleyent1
12-07-2009, 10:27 PM
I usually drive it straight through as we are too excited to stop but if we do it is usually south of Atlanta so we don't get caught in the traffic there. I have been through Mississippi and through Alabama going through Dothan and I can tell you from numerous trips and experiences the I-40, 78, 20 and 75 route is the fastest, not the shortest by about 28 mi (longer) but you will save about 2hrs going through Georgia. I have learned many new shortcuts and times that you want to avoid that will save you time we have made it as fast as 15 1/2 hrs and not really hauling butt to do it.

When are you going?

jundland
12-07-2009, 11:13 PM
We live just outside of Searcy, and work out of Conway.

We leave early in the am on the day before we check in to our Disney hotel and spend the night in Ocala, FL. From there it is a short drive to the World, check in, and Earl of Sandwich for lunch.

Our dates do cross, we are May 27-June 3.

itJeff
12-07-2009, 11:27 PM
I usually drive it straight through as we are too excited to stop but if we do it is usually south of Atlanta so we don't get caught in the traffic there. I have been through Mississippi and through Alabama going through Dothan and I can tell you from numerous trips and experiences the I-40, 78, 20 and 75 route is the fastest, not the shortest by about 28 mi (longer) but you will save about 2hrs going through Georgia. I have learned many new shortcuts and times that you want to avoid that will save you time we have made it as fast as 15 1/2 hrs and not really hauling butt to do it.

When are you going?

I'd love to hear your shorcuts, etc.

We'll be in the world from May 23 - 30. So our travel dates are the 21 & 22 and 30 & 31. :cool1:

itJeff
12-07-2009, 11:30 PM

itJeff
01-02-2010, 09:48 AM
The big wigs at work have completely messed up my vacation plans. Up until this year the company gave you Thanksgiving day and the day after off, and Christmas Eve and Christmas off.

Now they've decided that Christmas Eve and the day after Thanksgiving are no longer paid holidays. Instead they're giving us two floating holidays, in addition to the one that we already had. So instead of 11 days that I can schedule off, I get 13 days this year. :woohoo:

Okay, so you're probably wondering why this messes up my vacation plans. Well, our trip is planned for May 23 - 30, 2010. This is the week before Memorial day, which is also a paid holiday. Our plans call for us to arrive home on Memorial day. I had planned on taking Tuesday off to rest and recoup. Then Wednesday is my Birthday. I REALLY didn't want to go back to work on my Birthday. I mean, that's the perfect way to end the magic, right? "Happy Birthday! Here's 400 emails to read and 3 projects that need to be done ASAP. Welcome back!" :lmao:

So, I decided to take one of the new floating holidays on my Birthday. :woohoo: That means I'll be off work from May 22 until June 3. That got me thinking... :idea: If I don't have to be back until the 3rd, then the 2nd could be my rest and recoup day... That means we could stay at Disney one more day! :dance3:

I mentioned the idea to DW. She wasn't as excited as I was.:confused: She's worried about the cost. I explained that we could stay the additional night off-site. That would save some. But, she said "Why would we want to pack up twice?" Hmm.... good point. I don't think she's completely opposed to the idea.

I did some calculations, and (if I did them right) it would cost around $150 for us to stay on-site one more night (that includes the dining plan). I need to have the travel agent at AAA figure it to be sure. I'm thinking that is a pretty good deal for one more day to play. I just have to convince DW. :cool2:

Of course, if we stay an additional day that means I have to re-visit the itenerary. Once I started looking at adding an additional day, I ended up re-arranging several days. :eek: I'll need to reschedule some ADRs too. :eek: So... now you understand why my plans are all messed up. :rotfl:

standleyent1
01-02-2010, 11:37 AM
The big wigs at work have completely messed up my vacation plans. Up until this year the company gave you Thanksgiving day and the day after off, and Christmas Eve and Christmas off.

Now they've decided that Christmas Eve and the day after Thanksgiving are no longer paid holidays. Instead they're giving us two floating holidays, in addition to the one that we already had. So instead of 11 days that I can schedule off, I get 13 days this year. :woohoo:

Okay, so you're probably wondering why this messes up my vacation plans. Well, our trip is planned for May 23 - 30, 2010. This is the week before Memorial day, which is also a paid holiday. Our plans call for us to arrive home on Memorial day. I had planned on taking Tuesday off to rest and recoup. Then Wednesday is my Birthday. I REALLY didn't want to go back to work on my Birthday. I mean, that's the perfect way to end the magic, right? "Happy Birthday! Here's 400 emails to read and 3 projects that need to be done ASAP. Welcome back!" :lmao:

So, I decided to take one of the new floating holidays on my Birthday. :woohoo: That means I'll be off work from May 22 until June 3. That got me thinking... :idea: If I don't have to be back until the 3rd, then the 2nd could be my rest and recoup day... That means we could stay at Disney one more day! :dance3:

I mentioned the idea to DW. She wasn't as excited as I was.:confused: She's worried about the cost. I explained that we could stay the additional night off-site. That would save some. But, she said "Why would we want to pack up twice?" Hmm.... good point. I don't think she's completely opposed to the idea.

I did some calculations, and (if I did them right) it would cost around $150 for us to stay on-site one more night (that includes the dining plan). I need to have the travel agent at AAA figure it to be sure. I'm thinking that is a pretty good deal for one more day to play. I just have to convince DW. :cool2:

Of course, if we stay an additional day that means I have to re-visit the itenerary. Once I started looking at adding an additional day, I ended up re-arranging several days. :eek: I'll need to reschedule some ADRs too. :eek: So... now you understand why my plans are all messed up. :rotfl:

Anytime you can stay an extra day at the World you are very lucky!! This is my opinion about what to do with the extra day, why don't you spend it in a water park splashing and relaxing and then have a nice dinner off site or at a resort restaurant, if, you have hoppers then have a nice dinner with a fireworks show to wrap up your trip and have an easier exit. It is always hard for us to go even though we have been running like crazy but a relaxing easy day makes the departure somewhat easier on us not to mention making the drive home not as bad or long. This way you get a day of ease and get to rest up for the trek home!! Also, you won't have to re arrange your plans with the exception of the room rental or dining plan (?).
Just my 2 cents worth.
Have Fun!!
:banana::banana:pirate:pirate::banana::banana:

Juanaiguana
01-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Wow it sounds like you are me and your wife is my husband! He hates to hear about my very extensive planning for Disney! Lucky you to stay one more day in the Magic!! That will give you time to do the things you realllly wanted to do but couldn't get to. There's always one more day of things to do (if not 20) at Disney!

I have 3 girls also and we are very excited about heading back to Disney in May also, first week! We had originally planned on staying at POR but got a super fantastic off site deal...so we are staying offsite, much to my dismay. Oh well! Just means I'll have to go again to stay onsite again! :)

jundland
01-03-2010, 06:08 PM
You're already there, might as well have another fun-filled day with the Mouse. If you are like us, there is always something that we didn't get to do or do again before we left, now you can.

itJeff
01-09-2010, 10:43 AM
Anytime you can stay an extra day at the World you are very lucky!! This is my opinion about what to do with the extra day, why don't you spend it in a water park splashing and relaxing and then have a nice dinner off site or at a resort restaurant, if, you have hoppers then have a nice dinner with a fireworks show to wrap up your trip and have an easier exit. It is always hard for us to go even though we have been running like crazy but a relaxing easy day makes the departure somewhat easier on us not to mention making the drive home not as bad or long. This way you get a day of ease and get to rest up for the trek home!! Also, you won't have to re arrange your plans with the exception of the room rental or dining plan (?).
Just my 2 cents worth.
Have Fun!!
:banana::banana:pirate:pirate::banana::banana:

We're already taking a day off in the middle of the stay to sleep in, hit the beach, do laundry, chill by the pool, etc, etc, etc. We want to do the Chip and Dale Campfire Singalong and we have dinner planned at Whispering Canyon. Sounds like a full day off! :lmao: But it should be relatively slow paced compared to a day in the park.

Wow it sounds like you are me and your wife is my husband! He hates to hear about my very extensive planning for Disney! Lucky you to stay one more day in the Magic!! That will give you time to do the things you realllly wanted to do but couldn't get to. There's always one more day of things to do (if not 20) at Disney!

I have 3 girls also and we are very excited about heading back to Disney in May also, first week! We had originally planned on staying at POR but got a super fantastic off site deal...so we are staying offsite, much to my dismay. Oh well! Just means I'll have to go again to stay onsite again! :)

:laughing: Every time I start making changes to the itenerary and try to get DW's input she kinda rolls her eyes. She says I'll change it 10 more times before we go. :laughing: Congrats on the off site deal!

You're already there, might as well have another fun-filled day with the Mouse. If you are like us, there is always something that we didn't get to do or do again before we left, now you can.

:thumbsup2 My thoughts exactly!

itJeff
01-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Alright everyone (if anyone is still reading?)... remember the family I mentioned in post #16 (http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=34450652&postcount=16)? They told the kids on Christmas that they were going to WDW... and that it was the same time as us. Of course, DD(7) and her BFF are really excited. :cheer2:

So, they came over for dinner last night so we could all talk about our trips. I had recommended "The Unofficial Guide" and the wife also got the Passporter's guide. The husband was joking about how much she had spent on the guidebooks. :laughing: He said he would have just write the plans on a piece of paper and keep it in his back pocket. :lmao: Of course I ended up showing them my spreadsheet. It's not as organized as some people's (no names) but it works for me.

Anyway, they had a ton of questions about what the parks were like, what we thought about their resort (CBR), what the character meals were like, where should they eat, what park on what day.... you know, all those important questions that we all have to answer.

I told them about the Crowd Calender on TP's site and the boards and wdwinfo.com. I think I sent them into info overload at one point. While we were discussing what park to do on which day the husband said something to the effect that it was so complicated it was giving him a headache. :scared1::laughing: Of course, we can all identify.

We had a lot of fun telling them about our previous visits, and our plans for this trip. We helped them figure out what parks to do on what day, and we'll be in the same park our first day and their last day. On those days we'll eat a character meal together too. We plan to watch Fantasmic together too. Should be fun! :thumbsup2

So, now I just need to get the extra day added to our ressie... and another ADR added. hmmmm..... more choices. :rotfl:

FreezinRafiki
01-09-2010, 09:40 PM
Our December trip with with some first timers. We got a 2 bedroom villa and they will be staying with us. We gave the mom the "Walt Disney World with Kids" book. She read it cover to cover in about 3 days. We've got the first "planning meeting" scheduled for February.
You'll have to let me know how it goes with the first timers!

Emma's Dad
01-12-2010, 09:56 AM

:cool1::cool1: You got THAT right!! :rotfl2:

Yeah, I felt compelled to make it more of a PTR when I found out people were actually reading it. It is challenging to think that I need to come up with an update on a regular basis. I hope that I don't win the TRPWT (Trip Report Procrastination World Title). :scared1:

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Somehow I don't think you could EVER take that title! :lmao:

I thought I had already sub'd to this PTR?? Anyway... sounds like you've got a good plan. And the extra day! SCORE!! It's always nice to get extra holidays :thumbsup2

Sounds like you are schooling that family well! I hope all works out for both of your families. :)

itJeff
01-12-2010, 08:24 PM
Our December trip with with some first timers. We got a 2 bedroom villa and they will be staying with us. We gave the mom the "Walt Disney World with Kids" book. She read it cover to cover in about 3 days. We've got the first "planning meeting" scheduled for February.
You'll have to let me know how it goes with the first timers!

3 Days! Wow! Someone is obviously excited about going! :thumbsup2
We were kinda nervous about going with anyone else. We are a 'commando' type family (thanks to me!) and didn't want to push our style on anyone else, or have anyone else slow us down. I know, I know.... we shouldn't think that way, but we do. :laughing:
There are two other families that we know that are going the very next week and 2 weeks after us. We sorta made sure that we weren't going at the same time as them. (I know, we're terrible :rotfl2:)

Anywho, when this family told us that they were going at the same time, we decided that it was DESTINED for us to go at the same time as someone we knew! :confused3 :rotfl:

I think we'll have a lot of fun. They talk like they want to 'go' and 'do' as much as we do... we'll see. :rolleyes1 We've said all along that we want to take a little slower pace and try to enjoy things a little more... we'll see. :rolleyes1
:lmao::lmao::lmao:

:cool1::cool1: You got THAT right!! :rotfl2:

Somehow I don't think you could EVER take that title! :lmao:

I thought I had already sub'd to this PTR?? Anyway... sounds like you've got a good plan. And the extra day! SCORE!! It's always nice to get extra holidays :thumbsup2

Sounds like you are schooling that family well! I hope all works out for both of your families. :)

I'm trying really hard to let you keep your title. :laughing:

Thanks for joining us here. I love reading everyone else's reports... I hope I'm not boring anyone with my constantly changing plans. :rolleyes1

FreezinRafiki
01-12-2010, 09:19 PM
3 Days! Wow! Someone is obviously excited about going! :thumbsup2
We were kinda nervous about going with anyone else. We are a 'commando' type family (thanks to me!) and didn't want to push our style on anyone else, or have anyone else slow us down. I know, I know.... we shouldn't think that way, but we do. :laughing:
There are two other families that we know that are going the very next week and 2 weeks after us. We sorta made sure that we weren't going at the same time as them. (I know, we're terrible :rotfl2:)

Anywho, when this family told us that they were going at the same time, we decided that it was DESTINED for us to go at the same time as someone we knew! :confused3 :rotfl:

I think we'll have a lot of fun. They talk like they want to 'go' and 'do' as much as we do... we'll see. :rolleyes1 We've said all along that we want to take a little slower pace and try to enjoy things a little more... we'll see. :rolleyes1
:lmao::lmao::lmao:

It's still your vacation - you spend a lot of money to go to WDW and enjoy your time with family. I totally understand not wanting to be "burdened" by another family. We're lucky - my in-laws live down there and we can visit fairly often. We can take the time on this vacation to slow down and make sure they see the things they want to see.

FreezinRafiki
02-18-2010, 05:01 PM
Jeff? You still around? Haven't heard from you in quite a while...

itJeff
02-18-2010, 09:44 PM
Jeff? You still around? Haven't heard from you in quite a while...

Hey Barry, I'm still alive. School is keeping me busy this semester. :eek: I think I went three weeks without even logging into the Boards! :scared1:

I've been having to rely on podcasts for my Disney fix. My counter on my desktop says I have 91 days 16 hours 15 minutes and some odd seconds until we leave for Disney! :banana:

I hope to be paying the trip off shortly. That will be a relief to have out of the way. Then it's just little things... ya know, like new breaks for the van, possibly new tires, some type of DVD player for the trip in the van. That van sure is costing me alot on this trip. :laughing:

We started a 'countdown calendar' for the girls. I took a picture of the three of them and Cinderella (from our trip in 2007) and had it printed as a 18"x22" poster at Wal-Mart ($7 + change).

http://www.thefryguys.net/pics/orig.jpg

I then carefully cut it into 95 pieces and placed them into numbered envelopes. (yes, I can be a little narcissistic at times) I cut a poster board to the exact size of the poster, and drew a bunch of question marks on it. Each morning they get to place a new piece of the puzzle on the board.

http://www.thefryguys.net/pics/question.JPG

The suspense of knowing what the picture is drives them crazy. So far, they have guessed everything from a picture of Mickey Mouse, to a picture of all the princesses, to themselves dressed as princesses. It should help keep them excited for a little while.

I'll try to remember to post something every now and then so everyone knows I'm still alive. :3dglasses

DisneyDaddy-O
02-19-2010, 10:21 AM
I'll try to remember to post something every now and then so everyone knows I'm still alive. :3dglasses

:thumbsup2

I know how sometimes life gets in the way with everything Disney.

Good to here all is well.:goodvibes

Love the puzzle idea, very cool!!

FreezinRafiki
02-19-2010, 10:27 AM
That puzzle reminds me of the movie Major League, where the manager puts a cardboard cut out of the new ex-showgirl owner, and they tear off one piece for each win they need to take the division. Their version was slightly dirtier.:rotfl:

Nice job :thumbsup2

itJeff
02-20-2010, 10:18 PM

I know how sometimes life gets in the way with everything Disney.

Good to here all is well.:goodvibes

Love the puzzle idea, very cool!!

Thanks! I got the idea here on the boards. :confused3 I have no idea which thread, or I would give credit... oh well. :cool2:

That puzzle reminds me of the movie Major League, where the manager puts a cardboard cut out of the new ex-showgirl owner, and they tear off one piece for each win they need to take the division. Their version was slightly dirtier.:rotfl:

Nice job :thumbsup2

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: That's hilarious, I never would have thought of the reference. We're up to 5 pieces on the board. DD(4) asked if it the whole picture is grass. :laughing: :rotfl: She keeps us in stiches most of the time.

FreezinRafiki
02-21-2010, 08:18 AM
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: That's hilarious, I never would have thought of the reference. We're up to 5 pieces on the board. DD(4) asked if it the whole picture is grass. :laughing: :rotfl: She keeps us in stiches most of the time.

Yes, kids, this year's vacation is to a grass farm in Kentucky. 6 fun filled days of watching it grow!

steelernut
02-28-2010, 04:36 PM
We will be going May 23rd - 28th. Jeff 37, Jenn 34, Jake 4. This is our 1st trip to WDW. We will be staying at POR. Driving down from SC. We are doing the Park Hopper. Eating at Chef Mickeys, Hollywwod & Vine, Cape May, & the Spirit of Aloha dinner show.

itJeff - I see your staying at POR May 23rd too. Hope you guys have a great time.

jundland
03-15-2010, 09:36 AM
Hey Jeff, I read on the Dad's Club thread about the back seat eruption of Mt. Evan, and had to come over and see if you had an installment here.

I'll be waiting to hear more. I bet that there is not much worse to clean up than cheesy poofs.

itJeff
03-18-2010, 11:17 PM
We will be going May 23rd - 28th. Jeff 37, Jenn 34, Jake 4. This is our 1st trip to WDW. We will be staying at POR. Driving down from SC. We are doing the Park Hopper. Eating at Chef Mickeys, Hollywwod & Vine, Cape May, & the Spirit of Aloha dinner show.

itJeff - I see your staying at POR May 23rd too. Hope you guys have a great time.

Awesome! We did the Spirit of Aloha on our last trip with the in-laws in 2007. You'll enjoy it. :thumbsup2 It's not something that we'll do again for a while (there's just so much to do at WDW), but we had a great time. We've also eaten at Hollywood & Vine. Our girls loved the Playhouse Disney characters. Leo (I think that's his name) gave one of the girls an A+ on the picture she drew! ;)
We're doing Chef Mickeys, haven't eaten there yet. What day are you going there? I think we're there on the 28th.

Hey Jeff, I read on the Dad's Club thread about the back seat eruption of Mt. Evan, and had to come over and see if you had an installment here.

I'll be waiting to hear more. I bet that there is not much worse to clean up than cheesy poofs.

I just read Barry's TR tonight. :laughing: :eek: We've had incidents similar to that before. That is no fun at all. The smell is the worst part. We are going to have to really think about the snacks that we bring along for the drive. hmmmmmmmmm :rotfl:

jundland
03-18-2010, 11:27 PM
How about water and rock candy....no odor or color

itJeff
03-19-2010, 12:06 AM
http://thefryguys.net/pics/65days.jpg

Here's the current state of the countdown poster. We're 64 days away from leaving. woohoo! (this was from yesterday)

A couple of weeks ago I finalized our package & dining reservations. I did add an additional night and park day to the package. Our finalized dates are May 23 - 31 with 8 park days. :jumping1: We'll head back home on the 31st, and make it home on June 1st. My birthday is the 2nd, so I'm taking that day as vacation also. Who wants to return from DisneyWorld and go back to work on their birthday? I much prefer to go back to work on my unbirthday.

We got our tax refund in, and it went right back out to Disney! :laughing: There's just a little left to pay on the package. That makes us very happy.

I had double reserved some of our ADRs, because I wasn't sure about the schedule and if we were for sure going to have the additional day. Once I had the schedule finalized, I made sure to cancel the ADRs that we weren't using. The confusing part was making sure I didn't cancel the wrong ones. Luckily, I'm anal about planning and had everything documented. :rolleyes1

So, let's review....
Reservation finalized - check
ADRs finalized - check
Plans coordinated with friends who are going @ the same time - check
Countdown started - check
New brakes on the van - check

<BACKSTORY ALERT>
The charger connection for our video camera broke about a year ago. So, we've been without a video camera since. Well, I finally decided to find a charger and now have a video camera! :thumbsup2
So, I decided to finally pull a bunch of video over to the PC, so that I can make DVDs.
<END BACKSTORY>

Well, I finally get the video from the tapes of our 2007 trip to WDW. We've been watching some of the videos with the girls. It's amazing how quickly they've grown. Out youngest was just 2.5 when we were there, and she was too cute. Our middlest (it means the most middle) was 5 and was so adorable. Out oldest was almost 9 and was such a 'big girl'. It always surprises me how much they change. It completely reminded me of why we go to all the trouble of planning, and the expense, and the upcoming drive, and the headache. It's all worth it. :goodvibes

Still left on my 'to do' list:
Pay off the remainder of the package
Purchase a DVD player for the van
Possibly new tires
Pick out some back-up touring plans (in case there are crowds)
Find a hotel around O-town to stay the first night (5/22)
Copy all my plans to my BB for ease of access
Print out plans to carry in the backpack in case the phone dies (told you I was anal)
Book the Family Magic Tour (I think we get a AAA discount)

Here's the current version of "the" spreadsheet. I know you're all dying to see. :cool2:
http://thefryguys.net/pics/itenerary.jpg

itJeff
03-19-2010, 12:07 AM
How about water and rock candy....no odor or color

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
I'm sure that will go over great! :laughing:

FreezinRafiki
03-19-2010, 06:47 AM
We were going to do the campfire sing along on our last trip, but it started getting late and the kids were tired, so we skipped it. Since you're driving, you can pack your own s'mores fixings. They sell a kit that you can buy, but I think it's like $5-$7. So if you go that route, you might be able to save a little money.

latexscooter
03-20-2010, 03:55 PM
Hi, there! I found your PTR after you posted on another thread. After reading your planning adventures I see we have a lot in common too. We will be going May 25-June2 (isn't that your birthday?:)); DH and I will be celebrating our 10 year next year too; we're staying PO as well - although FQ; and I live for those Disney podcasts to make the time between trips bearable. I can't wait for your next installment. I've read every page this morning and would like to hear more. You've inspired me to think about writing my own PTR but I just don't know if I have what it takes.

itJeff
03-20-2010, 06:15 PM
We were going to do the campfire sing along on our last trip, but it started getting late and the kids were tired, so we skipped it. Since you're driving, you can pack your own s'mores fixings. They sell a kit that you can buy, but I think it's like $5-$7. So if you go that route, you might be able to save a little money.

Thanks for the tip! :thumbsup2 We started making a comprehensive list today of everything we'll need to take. Hopefully we can pick up a few things at a time so it won't hurt so much. :eek:

Hi, there! I found your PTR after you posted on another thread. After reading your planning adventures I see we have a lot in common too. We will be going May 25-June2 (isn't that your birthday?:)); DH and I will be celebrating our 10 year next year too; we're staying PO as well - although FQ; and I live for those Disney podcasts to make the time between trips bearable. I can't wait for your next installment. I've read every page this morning and would like to hear more. You've inspired me to think about writing my own PTR but I just don't know if I have what it takes.

:welcome: I'm glad you found my PTR! Yes, my birthday is the 2nd. I had hoped we could stay long enough to celebrate at Disney, but it just wasn't going to work out. Oh well. I hear you can also celebrate your Un-birthday at The World.

Thanks for reading through my many pages of un-decision. :laughing: I hope we have our minds made up now. I've never written a TR or PTR before (as everyone can probably tell), but I was inspired by some really good ones. I wish you luck, if you decide to start one! :wizard:

Maybe we'll bump into each other one day during our stays! Just look for the Crazy guy trying to get his wife and three daughters to make it to everything he's planned out. :rotfl::rotfl:

steelernut
03-24-2010, 04:58 PM
ItJeff - We will be eating at Chef Mickeys on the 23rd. I had the brake pads changed on our van yesterday. We are getting very excited!!!!!:cool1:

itJeff
03-25-2010, 10:29 PM
ItJeff - We will be eating at Chef Mickeys on the 23rd. I had the brake pads changed on our van yesterday. We are getting very excited!!!!!:cool1:

WooHoo! :woohoo: It's getting closer every day!

:banana: :dance3: :cheer2: :woohoo: :yay: :hyper: party: :jumping1: :jumping2: :bounce: :dogdance:

itJeff
03-25-2010, 10:52 PM
Our girls are starting to talk more about the trip in the past couple of weeks. I ordered the personalized maps from Disney's site a while back. They came in a couple of weeks ago, but I put them up for now. I think I'll let the girls have them at a month out. If you haven't ordered them before, you should try it. It's free and you get to pick the attractions that are on the map. There are two designs and you can order a copy to be mailed to you, or print them out yourself. We ordered the character design.

I got an email today thanking me for ordering the maps, and asking me to share the map-making magic. So, I thought I would share it here.

Our girls have been at my in-laws for the week (spring break) giving my DW a much needed break. They came back today and we caught up on the countdown poster. DD7.5 has almost figured out what the picture is. She thinks it's the three of them with Cinderella when we went to CRT. She has spotted a tennis shoe, that she is convinced belongs to DD5. She is close, the tennis shoe is actually her own. I think she doesn't remember that she was that small (5) when we were there last. Even though she is right about it being Cindy, she doesn't have the location yet. We'll see how long it takes her to figure it out.

On a more practical note...
(and by practical I mean in the joke way)
I found a thread on the boards that has the phone numbers to the phone booths in the UK pavilion in Epcot. Did you know that you can call people in DisneyWorld? I found this very interesting. I told DD11 about it, and we decided to see if we could get anyone to answer the pay phones. I got hung up on a couple of times before getting someone to (sorta) play along. I asked to speak to Mary Poppins, but apparently she was busy. I told the guy that answered the phone that I had some unruly children, and was told that she could help me out. He thought I was kinda weird, even asked me if I was high. :rolleyes: Yeah, I'm high on this new drug called Pixie Dust. :laughing:

Anyway, DD11 has a friend that went to The World for spring break. They had already been to Epcot, but DD11 said it would be funny if she called while they were there and got to talk to her friend. :) So, being the fun father that I am, I had DW get in touch with the mom to let us know if/when they go back to Epcot. :thumbsup2 I'll probably see to it that one of her friends call her when we're by there too. :cool2:

That's all I have for the time being. I've been on spring break this week as well. Next week it's back to the grind of classes and homework. :headache: It's going to be very nice when this semester is over, and we head out for The World. 56 days, 17 hours, 7 minutes and 40 some odd seconds until we leave! (give or take a few minutes) :)

Emma's Dad
03-26-2010, 07:32 AM
You got some smart girls there! Won't be too long before they figure it out.

So... ummm... you're REALLY going to make me search for that thread?? (where are my angry eyes when I need them...) :rotfl2::rotfl2: That's too cool! Hope you get to coordinate that phone call with the friend :thumbsup2

itJeff
03-26-2010, 10:32 PM
You got some smart girls there! Won't be too long before they figure it out.

So... ummm... you're REALLY going to make me search for that thread?? (where are my angry eyes when I need them...) :rotfl2::rotfl2: That's too cool! Hope you get to coordinate that phone call with the friend :thumbsup2

Didn't Mrs. Potato Head pack your angry eyes? She must be slipping. :laughing:

Here's the thread about the phone numbers. Sorry, I don't know why it didn't occur to me to post a link. :thumbsup2
UK phone booth telephone number(s) (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2257853)

steelernut
03-29-2010, 04:48 AM
ItJeff - I was looking thru your graph of plans and it looks like we will be in AK on Wednesday & eating at Flame Tree too. I have read that Flame Tree is very good!!:thumbsup2
Is it May 23rd yet???????:sad1:

FreezinRafiki
03-29-2010, 06:27 AM
Didn't Mrs. Potato Head pack your angry eyes? She must be slipping.

Yeah, she jambed them right up his...well, never mind.

ItJeff - I was looking thru your graph of plans and it looks like we will be in AK on Wednesday & eating at Flame Tree too. I have read that Flame Tree is very good!!:thumbsup2
It is! (Good food, I mean. Not May 23rd. Sorry)
I've been known to send wife and kids over to Pizzafari while I went to Flame Tree and carried a smoked 1/2 chicken over there to join them. You should have seen the looks (and drool) on the faces of the other guys there choking down Disney Pizza while watching me tear in mine like a lion on a gazelle. Mmmmm......

itJeff
03-29-2010, 10:11 PM

Cool! :thumbsup2 Maybe we'll run into each other! I'll be the one surrounded by women. :laughing:

Yeah, she jambed them right up his...well, never mind.

It is! (Good food, I mean. Not May 23rd. Sorry)
I've been known to send wife and kids over to Pizzafari while I went to Flame Tree and carried a smoked 1/2 chicken over there to join them. You should have seen the looks (and drool) on the faces of the other guys there choking down Disney Pizza while watching me tear in mine like a lion on a gazelle. Mmmmm......

Barry, I think you're the one that recommended Flame Tree to me. So, if it doesn't live up to it's reputation, then I'm holding you personally responsible. I'm just sayin. :cool2:

itJeff
03-29-2010, 10:39 PM
I think I've mentioned before that I've become quite the podcast junkie. I don't listen to very many, but I have become very addicted to a few. I started with the DIS-podcast, then found the WDW today podcast. I've also started listening to Betamouse, it's more of a geeky tech Disney hybrid podcast.

So, anyway I have been a fan of the Unofficial Guide (ding) since my first trip to The World. When I found out there was an associated podcast I knew it would be good. I actually went back and listened to the entire set of archives. Yes, I'm a nerd. So, about 200 podcasts in, I realize they do live shows and take calls from listeners. Sweet! I finally got caught-up on the podcasts a few weeks ago. Yesterday was a live show. What do you think I did last night?

Yep, you guessed it. :woohoo: I called in and got to talk to Mike Newell, Len Testa, Mike Scopa and the fabulous Anette Owens. Unfortunately, Matt wasn't there last night. But, there's always next month. Anywho, I probably sound like a fanboy now. I was a little excited to get to ask my questions to the professionals. :yay:

So, now I have some definite recommendations for an off-site hotel the night before our reservation, and a quick-get-away watching location for spectromagic. I actually have a couple other questions so I might call in next month too. We'll see. :3dglasses

Sunday, I also called 407-WDW-TOUR to get some info about the Family Magic Tour. I found out that it is $34 per person, and there is a 15% AAA discount, if I have a AAA diamond vacation card... which I don't. So, I emailed my AAA TA and asked about it. It seems it does come with the package I booked through AAA, so that's a plus! :thumbsup2 Now I just have to figure out if I have to have it BEFORE I can book the tour, or if I can get the discount without it. Why can't these discount things be easy? "Sure, you can save $5 ga-zillion dollars. But, you'll have to water-ski on your left arm backwards, jumping through 5 hoops of fire before launching yourself to the top of a 10 person pyramid floating on a barge of Styrofoam peanuts." :eek: :crazy: Hmmm.... okay, I'll get back to you on that. :rolleyes1

FreezinRafiki
03-30-2010, 08:47 AM
Barry, I think you're the one that recommended Flame Tree to me. So, if it doesn't live up to it's reputation, then I'm holding you personally responsible. I'm just sayin. :cool2:[/QUOTE]

Oh. Um. You don't know where I live, do you?

I think I've mentioned before that I've become quite the podcast junkie. I don't listen to very many, but I have become very addicted to a few. I started with the DIS-podcast, then found the WDW today podcast. I've also started listening to Betamouse, it's more of a geeky tech Disney hybrid podcast.

As far as Disney Podcasts, I only listen to the DIS unplugged. I tried a few others, but didn't like any of them. I looked into Betamouse and I like the premise of it. I downloaded all 8 episodes and I'll start them on my way home tonight.

steelernut
04-01-2010, 05:07 AM
Paid off our trip the other day, now just counting down the days!!!!:cool1:
Took the minivan in last weekend for transmission service too.:car:

itJeff
04-07-2010, 10:46 PM
Oh. Um. You don't know where I live, do you?

As far as Disney Podcasts, I only listen to the DIS unplugged. I tried a few others, but didn't like any of them. I looked into Betamouse and I like the premise of it. I downloaded all 8 episodes and I'll start them on my way home tonight.

Yes, I believe I could find you. :cool2: :rolleyes1 :rotfl:
What do you think of Betamouse? It's uber geeky. Yet, I find myself continuing to listen.... :confused3

Paid off our trip the other day, now just counting down the days!!!!:cool1:
Took the minivan in last weekend for transmission service too.:car:

:woohoo: :woohoo:
I paid off our trip today! :woohoo: :woohoo:

So, we have a place to stay, food to eat and park tickets. Now we just need to get there! :laughing:

45 days and counting.... :yay:

FreezinRafiki
04-08-2010, 06:17 AM
Yes, I believe I could find you. :cool2: :rolleyes1 :rotfl:
What do you think of Betamouse? It's uber geeky. Yet, I find myself continuing to listen.... :confused3

I've only got through the first 2, but so far it's not too bad. Quality could be better, but it's hard to justify big $$ for equipment for a product that you give away for free.

:woohoo: :woohoo:
I paid off our trip today! :woohoo: :woohoo:

So, we have a place to stay, food to eat and park tickets. Now we just need to get there! :laughing:

45 days and counting.... :yay:

steelernut
04-17-2010, 05:02 AM
Got our docs yesterday!!:woohoo: We are so ready to go!!!!!!:rolleyes1

itJeff
05-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Whew! The semester is over. Finals are done. :faint:

We went to the AAA travel agent yesterday and picked up our travel docs. :yay: We're down to 14 days!

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_ay1xGVkS0kQ/S-W_8wZDLYI/AAAAAAAAAE8/f0_vNJVLsGY/s800/IMG_4828.JPG

The girls have known for a while now what the picture is. But, they are still excited to get a new piece to put on each day. :cheer2:

Now that life is a little less hectic, I hope to finish putting the final touches on our plans. I picked up a power converter today for the car, so that we can watch movies on the laptop on the drive down. I figure a bigger screen is always a plus with three kids trying to watch. There are still many items on the 'to get' list.

One of the 'extras' that come with booking with AAA is a character story-time. I need to research this a little to see what it's about. It's in Epcot, but not on the days we will be at Epcot. hmmmmm. :confused: What are the chances that I would change our plans, yet again? :laughing:

jundland
05-09-2010, 01:23 AM
Hey, they're just plans...right, more like a guideline but not set in stone maybe?

No matter what you do, you will be on your way VERY soon, have a great trip.

itJeff
05-13-2010, 09:11 PM
Hey, they're just plans...right, more like a guideline but not set in stone maybe?

No matter what you do, you will be on your way VERY soon, have a great trip.

:thumbsup2 Thanks!

:rolleyes1 I need to look into this "not set in stone" idea of yours. :lmao:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_ay1xGVkS0kQ/S-yq7aCRGzI/AAAAAAAAAFQ/FNrLeXVVjzM/s800/itenerary2.jpg

This is the current version of the itinerary. You might notice (and you might not) that we dropped the Sci-Fi Dinner reservation, in order to do Teppan Edo in Epcot. DW and I ate at a Japanese steak place for our anniversary, and realized how much fun the DDs would have. So, we added a lunch ressie in Epcot on the 29th for TE. But, we still wanted to experience Sci-Fi, so we have an ADR there on the 25th. We plan to get some dessert or something.... just to say we've been there. I think once the girls get a little older they wouldn't enjoy it as much... and I hear the food isn't that great.

What amuses me is that we have 3 sit-down ADRs for days 1, 2 and 3. But, for days 6, 7, and 8 - we have 5 sit-down ADRs. :eek: :confused3 How did that happen? Talk about going from famine to feast. Someone didn't do a very good job of spreading things out. :rolleyes1 Oh, well.

On a more depressing note...
DW's job has taken a turn for the worse over the past couple of months. She does medical transcription, working from home. The company she contracted with about a year ago has been a nightmare. She is always getting paid late, the manager is scatterbrained, and the owner is a bully. They have really mistreated and "used" her. We finally had enough this past week. She is supposed to get paid on the 1st and the 15th of the month. Well, she never got a check from the 1st. When she emailed the owner about it, the only answer she got was "I'll have to check with the accountant". But, never any real answer as to when she would get paid. After the check was 11 days late, she emailed the owner and told her that she would not be turning in any more work until she was paid, and if needed she would continue seeking legal counsel.
That got the owner's attention. She tried to bully her a little more, telling her that the law says contractors only have to be paid every 30 days, and if she held on to her work then she wouldn't get paid, blah blah blah, etc. DW let her know that most of what she was telling her were lies, and that if she wasn't willing to pay her what she was owed then she would continue with legal action.
The owner let her know that she wouldn't be sending her any more work, and to submit an invoice for the remaining work she had done. After it was all counted, DW is owed over $1600.00! :scared1: You can imagine what kind of strain this is on her. She knows that we were counting on that for spending money for the trip, as well as some things we "needed" before we left. Like, a DVD player for the car (We decided to get an adapter to be able to charge the laptop, and just watch movies on it). Supposedly she will be getting a check for around $400 next week before we go. We still have no idea when the remained will be paid to her. :sad2:

All of that to say... we probably will end up not doing some of the extra stuff that we had planned on doing, like the Family Magic Tour. But, hey... the package is paid for and we'll still be able to have a good time! :thumbsup2

Now, it's time to start packing..... not really. But, we are starting to get things gathered up. Just 8 days until we leave! :woohoo:

Captain_Oblivious
05-13-2010, 09:12 PM
Ok, I'm just stumbling in here for the first time. Not sure how I missed it earlier. In any case, you're ALMOST THERE! :thumbsup2 And I'm still jealous. :rotfl2:

itJeff
05-13-2010, 09:25 PM
Ok, I'm just stumbling in here for the first time. Not sure how I missed it earlier. In any case, you're ALMOST THERE! :thumbsup2 And I'm still jealous. :rotfl2:

:welcome:

Sorry things are so cluttered around here.... I thought about cleaning up, but then realized that I'll be ditching this thread in about a week. :thumbsup2

FreezinRafiki
05-13-2010, 09:31 PM
:welcome:

Sorry things are so cluttered around here.... I thought about cleaning up, but then realized that I'll be ditching this thread in about a week. :thumbsup2

Yup, and starting a TR shortly after!

Sorry to hear about DW and the job. That's got to be rough.

Captain_Oblivious
05-14-2010, 07:16 AM
I'm also sorry to hear about DW's struggles on the job. Not cool. I hope you guys are able to enjoy yourselves anyway--sounds like you need the break!

steelernut
05-14-2010, 04:42 PM
ItJeff - I hate to hear about your DW's job. People just don't care about each other anymore and have no integrity.:headache:

Any plans on a hotel near Orlando the night before?? Have you set an arrival time on the 23rd?? We are doing MK Sunday afternoon & evening. Eating at Chef Mickeys that night.

itJeff
05-18-2010, 03:40 PM
Thanks! We're determined to enjoy our trip even more now. :thumbsup2

Any plans on a hotel near Orlando the night before?? Have you set an arrival time on the 23rd?? We are doing MK Sunday afternoon & evening. Eating at Chef Mickeys that night.

The hotel for Saturday is booked. We are staying at the Orlando Vista Hotel. It is "within walking distance of Downtown Disney". I'm not so sure who's doing the walking, but we'll probably drive over. Map (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=12490+Apopka+Vineland+Road,+Orlando,+FL,+US ,+32836&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=12490+Apopka+Vineland+Rd,+Orlando,+FL+32836&gl=us&ei=VPnyS6LaBcGC8ga6n_ToDQ&sa=X&**=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBMQ8gEwAA)

It is supposed to be fairly nice, and I got a good AAA discount. It was recommended by Len Testa when I called into "that other podcast". So, we'll see how we like it. Hey, there's a big pineapple out front... it can't be all that bad, right? :confused3 :rotfl2:

We will probably check into POR really early Sunday morning and try to make it to Epcot by the time the park opens. I am traveling with 4 females, so we'll see how that pans out. :rolleyes1

steelernut - sounds like you're hitting the ground running! :thumbsup2 We do Chef Mickey's on the 28th. Can you tell him to have lots of desserts ready for us that night? Thanks! :lmao:

jundland
05-18-2010, 09:34 PM
Hey Jeff,
we will be leaving the great state of Arkansas shortly after you guys, I can't wait to hear how you and the girls make a trip of it. Have a safe trip and a great time.

FreezinRafiki
05-19-2010, 06:23 AM
The hotel for Saturday is booked. We are staying at the Orlando Vista Hotel. It is "within walking distance of Downtown Disney". I'm not so sure who's doing the walking, but we'll probably drive over. Map (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=12490+Apopka+Vineland+Road,+Orlando,+FL,+US ,+32836&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=12490+Apopka+Vineland+Rd,+Orlando,+FL+32836&gl=us&ei=VPnyS6LaBcGC8ga6n_ToDQ&sa=X&**=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBMQ8gEwAA)

Oh come it, it's only a mile.
But since parking at DTD is free, I guess you might as well drive there.

We will probably check into POR really early Sunday morning and try to make it to Epcot by the time the park opens. I am traveling with 4 females, so we'll see how that pans out. :rolleyes1

Godspeed young man, and good luck. :thumbsup2

itJeff
05-21-2010, 12:25 AM
The van is packed! Many electrical devices are charging. Everyone is in bed except me.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_ay1xGVkS0kQ/S_YUyJr63II/AAAAAAAAAF0/OfwkghxEMRY/s800/IMG_4854.JPG

Tomorrow morning the girls will finish the "puzzle" with the final piece. And then we will finally know who is in this picture! It's killing me trying to figure out who that is! :laughing:

DW has a few last things to pick up tomorrow. Some lunch and dinner stuff to fix for the drive, and we need to put the refrigerated items in the cooler.

I will leave work around 3:00 physically. Mentally, I will probably never get there. :hippie: I'll do a quick "Clark Kent" routine into some travel clothes, then we'll pick up DD11 from school and hit the road! For about 30 minutes, then I'm sure we'll need to stop for a potty break. :sad2:

I'll be updating facebook during the trip, if you're friends with me there. You can also follow me on twitter @itfryguy. Or just wait for the TR! :thumbsup2

Thanks for sticking with my ramblings re-planning and revisions.

itJeff, you've just finished your first PTR! What are you going to do now?

:woohoo:I'm going to Disney World! :thumbsup2 (I've always wanted to say that)

Emma's Dad
05-21-2010, 09:22 AM
About time! Have a great trip! Look forward to seeing how it goes:cool1:

FreezinRafiki
05-21-2010, 09:47 AM
The van is packed! Many electrical devices are charging. Everyone is in bed except me.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_ay1xGVkS0kQ/S_YUyJr63II/AAAAAAAAAF0/OfwkghxEMRY/s800/IMG_4854.JPG

Tomorrow morning the girls will finish the "puzzle" with the final piece. And then we will finally know who is in this picture! It's killing me trying to figure out who that is! :laughing:

DW has a few last things to pick up tomorrow. Some lunch and dinner stuff to fix for the drive, and we need to put the refrigerated items in the cooler.

I will leave work around 3:00 physically. Mentally, I will probably never get there. :hippie: I'll do a quick "Clark Kent" routine into some travel clothes, then we'll pick up DD11 from school and hit the road! For about 30 minutes, then I'm sure we'll need to stop for a potty break. :sad2:

I'll be updating facebook during the trip, if you're friends with me there. You can also follow me on twitter @itfryguy. Or just wait for the TR! :thumbsup2

Thanks for sticking with my ramblings re-planning and revisions.

itJeff, you've just finished your first PTR! What are you going to do now?

:woohoo:I'm going to Disney World! :thumbsup2 (I've always wanted to say that)

OOOOH. Hurry up and tear that last piece off! I need to know who it is! The suspense is killing me!!

Have a great trip!

jundland
05-22-2010, 12:47 PM
it sucks about your wifes job, hope she is able to collect the remainder of what she is owed without any further difficulty.

About the behind the magic tour...something to next time, rught? The itenerary you have sounds great, you may put on a few pounds having all those sit down meals though.