PDA

View Full Version : Finally figured out our vacation for next year

Neoshoegal
10-28-2009, 11:59 AM
Usually I book vacations about 18 months in advance (it's advisable in our line of work), that means that we normally already have a next vacation booked before we even leave for one. This year however was different. We came back from WDW in September with no next vacation booked. Bearing in mind that I'm a planning freak, I felt "empty" and without purpose ;)
So for weeks we've been trying to figure out what to do. We considered 2 weeks of touring New England (lots of friends there) combined with a week of WDW. Then we realised a week of Disney wouldn't be enough for us Disneyholics, so were thinking 3 weeks of Disney. But then there was the issue of flights. After having been lucky enough to fly business class on a few occassions now, we really don't want to go back to less. I know that sounds totally spoiled and I know it is, but flying this way just adds to the whole vacation experience.
So then I finally figured it out: transatlantic cruises! We love cruises and we love Disney, how brilliant is that. I first considered going out on a cruise and coming back on one (that would still have been cheaper tha buying a return business class ticket!), but that would mean too much time of work, so no can do. Bring in the airmiles! We have enough airmiles saved up with VA for a one way flight in upper class, just pay taxes and fees!

So here are the plans

Next October, we take the Queen Mary 2 from Southampton to New York. Spend 1 night in New York and then take an internal flight to Orlando. About 2 weeks of Disney World, this would mean we'd be able to do both a MNSSHP and a MVMCP. Then travel down to Fort Lauderdale to spend a few days with friends. Fly back home from Miami in Upper Class.

How brilliant is that!!! I'm so super duper excited about it (would normally never say "super duper" ;))

:cool1::woohoo::cool1::woohoo::cool1:

scottish mum
10-28-2009, 12:16 PM
Sounds like a great plan

disneyangel
10-28-2009, 06:05 PM
Wow :thumbsup2 That sounds like a fabulous trip :cloud9:

Chilly
10-28-2009, 06:50 PM
Sounds like a fab trip.

CustardTart
10-28-2009, 07:42 PM
Sounds awesome!!! Would lurve to do a transatlantic cruise but my husband just isn't keen - he's scared of big waves or something... :rolleyes: I'm currently toying with the idea of doing a solo TA DCL cruise next April... ;)

FWIW flying UC/Business Class is your choice, nothing spoilt about it. :goodvibes Personally, I love it and, at the moment, am happy to pay up for it - more than likely things will change in the future but for now, hey!!!

team harris
10-29-2009, 06:46 AM
Sounds awesome!!! Would lurve to do a transatlantic cruise but my husband just isn't keen - he's scared of big waves or something... :rolleyes: !

We toyed with the idea of Queen Mary to New York for next Summer, but DS 13 point blank refused - so thanks Poseidon and Titanic, we have to wait until we can go alone!:rotfl:

dolphingirl47
10-29-2009, 07:57 AM
Usually I book vacations about 18 months in advance (it's advisable in our line of work), that means that we normally already have a next vacation booked before we even leave for one. This year however was different. We came back from WDW in September with no next vacation booked. Bearing in mind that I'm a planning freak, I felt "empty" and without purpose ;)
So for weeks we've been trying to figure out what to do. We considered 2 weeks of touring New England (lots of friends there) combined with a week of WDW. Then we realised a week of Disney wouldn't be enough for us Disneyholics, so were thinking 3 weeks of Disney. But then there was the issue of flights. After having been lucky enough to fly business class on a few occassions now, we really don't want to go back to less. I know that sounds totally spoiled and I know it is, but flying this way just adds to the whole vacation experience.
So then I finally figured it out: transatlantic cruises! We love cruises and we love Disney, how brilliant is that. I first considered going out on a cruise and coming back on one (that would still have been cheaper tha buying a return business class ticket!), but that would mean too much time of work, so no can do. Bring in the airmiles! We have enough airmiles saved up with VA for a one way flight in upper class, just pay taxes and fees!

So here are the plans

Next October, we take the Queen Mary 2 from Southampton to New York. Spend 1 night in New York and then take an internal flight to Orlando. About 2 weeks of Disney World, this would mean we'd be able to do both a MNSSHP and a MVMCP. Then travel down to Fort Lauderdale to spend a few days with friends. Fly back home from Miami in Upper Class.

How brilliant is that!!! I'm so super duper excited about it (would normally never say "super duper" ;))

:cool1::woohoo::cool1::woohoo::cool1:

That sounds like a fantastic holiday. I am doing two Transatlantic cruises next year, bot on the Disney Magic. I can't wait.

Sounds awesome!!! Would lurve to do a transatlantic cruise but my husband just isn't keen - he's scared of big waves or something... :rolleyes: I'm currently toying with the idea of doing a solo TA DCL cruise next April... ;)

FWIW flying UC/Business Class is your choice, nothing spoilt about it. :goodvibes Personally, I love it and, at the moment, am happy to pay up for it - more than likely things will change in the future but for now, hey!!!

Karen, I am doing the Eastbound TA solo. DH has decided that he hates sea days and that he would go stir crazy if he did two cruises with so many sea days in a year. I hope that you can go. At least there would be a familiar face around. I am a little bit nervous about going solo, but I really want to do both TAs.

Corinna

Muscateer
10-31-2009, 08:45 AM
Wow your planned trip sounds fab:thumbsup2

I had never thought about cruising one way, time in Disney then flying back. Would cover two great passions for me.