PDA

View Full Version : Internet access on Med cruises

shushh
10-27-2009, 03:59 AM
Was hoping those who were on the 2007 cruise could help. What was the internet access like? In particular, speed and price...

DL1957
10-27-2009, 06:22 PM
You have to remember this was in 2007 and from what I understand it has gotten better. It was very slow at night and it you want to send large photo files it didn't work. I understand some of this has changed. The WIFI was better in the common areas than in your state room. I had to keep in touch with the office so we went with the 500 minutes. I have to say for me it is much better than having to wait in line to use the internet cafe which is a good option.
There wer 4 plans
Plan 1 - $.75 a minute
Plan 2 - 100 minutes for $55.00
Plan 3 - 250 minutes for $100.00
Plan 4 500 minutes for $150.00

kcashner
10-27-2009, 07:11 PM
On the Caribbean sailings, it changed tremendously between 2008 and 2009. In 2009 it was much faster with reception everywhere in the ship that we tried.

DL1957
10-28-2009, 07:14 PM
Thanks
This is great news because we are going on the June 12th Baltic cruise and plan to stay in touch with the office via e-mail. In 2007 it was fairly new in the staterooms and the Magic has been in dry dock since that initial change!

Andrew DEREK UK
10-29-2009, 03:47 AM
In 2007 on a 11 night cruise in the Med, I had the DCL Internet access package. It was very good most of the time, bar the last sea day, going back to Barcelona, that had a black out all day. Now for people flying home the next day that might have been an issue.

I would say that day, there was stormy weather all day, seas rough, and we were sailing away from the coast line across the Med, until the early evening, when we ran parallel to the Spanish coast.

I must say, I have used the DCL Internet service, on every cruise, personally, the service in 2009 in the Caribbean was bad. In 2008 on the Panama crossing it was fantastic, 2007, Med as above, and 2006 Caribbean and 2005 Panama good.

Maybe I was unlucky, but I personally experienced big issues in 2009, and made a complaint, on their side they said there wasn't any reported problems but offered my package money back.

I have used the Internet in my rooms (all deck 8), Cove cafe, and top deck, these are the best locations. Promenade lounge is also reported as good, but I haven't experienced it there.

The Baltic will be another thing, you would assume it would be very good, as many cruise ships travel that route, I can say my sister is just back from a Baltic cruise on another cruise-line, and was able to email me form the ship without any issue.

shushh
10-29-2009, 07:35 AM
Thank you all for the helpful info. We're tossing up between checking in online for our flights home onboard or when we get to Villefranche.

Andrew DEREK UK
10-29-2009, 08:33 AM
Thank you all for the helpful info. We're tossing up between checking in online for our flights home onboard or when we get to Villefranche.

Villefranche is an option if they allow check in prior to 24 hours.You have a final full day at sea going back to Barcelona, I was able to check in late on the penultimate day, but only when we came close to the Spanish mainland.

shushh
10-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Singapore airlines allows check in 48 hours before departure. Seeing as we are planning on a "chill" day at Villefranche, we might check in then. Will avoid the possible "black out" and maybe cheaper as well!