PDA

View Full Version : What to do on 4th July?

maznorm
10-23-2009, 01:44 PM
What is there to do on the 4th July? I was thinking maybe a restaurant with a fireworks view but don't fancy Rose & Crown. Cali Grill looked good but I read somewhere they have a special $220 dinner :scared1:

The parks seem like they are going to be rammed that day and it may also be our last night there, so we want to really enjoy it.

Any suggestions on what to do?

babystar
10-23-2009, 02:59 PM
We were there 4th July just gone. After much umming and arghing we decided to miss the park completely. The MK independance day fireworks was shown on the 3rd and 4th July so we viewed them from the beach on the Poly on the 3rd (still busy!!) but they really are fab!!

Then on 4th July we went to celebration, WOW was that busy. It had a good firework display, lots of alchol and a atmosphere! Not sure I would do that again with a 2yo it seemed much better to just go as a adult party.

All I can really say is book dinner reservations early and expect everywhere to be busy.

maznorm
10-23-2009, 03:29 PM
Celebration does sound good, but you say you would probably not do it with a 2 yr old again. How about a 2 yr old and a 3 yr old? I guess we need to consider that factor in as well. The relatives we are going with are only getting 1 or 2 days worth of tickets and they want to stay in the parks the full day when they use those tickets. I don't want to be in the parks all day on a crowded 4th July.

babystar
10-23-2009, 04:22 PM
In all honesty I would not go to Celebration again on 4th July!

I love celebration and thought I would really enjoy there independence day festivities but with any child under the age of 6 I probably wouldnt recommend it. It was shoulder to shoulder with people so my 2yo had to stay in her pushchair. We arrived at about 5pm for dinner reservations at the italian and even by that time all around the lake was filled with blankets and chairs of other spectators. (the fireworks didnt start till 10.30pm)

Even little things stick in my memory - the longest queue for the toilet that I have ever seen:laughing:

HTH you make a decision!

maznorm
10-24-2009, 05:03 AM
Yeah, I don't think the kids would enjoy that!! So that's the parks and Celebration off the list. I'm even considering getting a hotel room with a fireworks view for the night.

babystar
10-24-2009, 08:26 AM
I wouldnt pay for a hotel room - why dont you try and make dinner reservations at one of the hotels I think the poly does a laui (sp?) themed dinner or try somewhere fancier like artist point at the wilderness (buffalo is out of this world!) I think they even have character dining at 1900 park fair then catch a boat from that hotel, over to the Poly beach and watch the fireworks from there.

The kids can paddle in the water on the beach why you are waiting and you can go and get a drink from the bar. Yes even this will be busy but nothing like Celebration.

Get there earlyish take some beach towels and just enjoy the atmosphere.

Cyrano
10-24-2009, 04:38 PM
During the day we hit the Outlets. In the evening we headed to Celebration, but so did the rest of Orlando. Struggling to park, we made the correct decision IMHO to go to EPCOT instead. This park can take the crowds. We toured Showcase for a little bit and then got a spot at Mexico. Illuminations on the 4th was fantastic.

Bigbluebear
10-25-2009, 06:57 AM
My advice would be go and see the MK fireworks on the 3rd, which will be busy but not as busy as on the 4th. Watch from somewhere near the castle, and head away from the exit after its finished. Stay in the park till after SpectroMagic and it'll be a lot easier to leave.

On the 4th, stay clear of the parks during the day. Its just ridiculously busy and not enjoyable in the slightest. At night head to Epcot. Since Epcots huge and has big walkways its much more bearable.

maznorm
10-25-2009, 02:08 PM
Great advice so far. We do all love Epcot so it's an idea. The only problem is the relatives we are going don't care about the parks. They want to go to AK to see the kids reactions and Epcot cuz they like it there, but they are getting non park hopper tickets at the gate and they want to stay all day so we will either have to do the whole day in the park we choose or not go to the parks at all that day.

Bigbluebear
10-28-2009, 01:20 PM
Great advice so far. We do all love Epcot so it's an idea. The only problem is the relatives we are going don't care about the parks. They want to go to AK to see the kids reactions and Epcot cuz they like it there, but they are getting non park hopper tickets at the gate and they want to stay all day so we will either have to do the whole day in the park we choose or not go to the parks at all that day.

My honest opinion, after being at the parks a couple of times on the 4th is dont bother with them.

They are too busy to do anything, you'll spend all day in queues, folk are grouchy, its difficult to get around etc etc.

The best thing ive done on the 4th was staying at Clearwater Beach over the 3rd/4th. A big party, however not really ideal if its going to be your last night.