PDA

View Full Version : Gatwick hotel & Parking

Joanne_in_London
10-22-2009, 08:48 AM
Hiya, I am looking at booking either the Hilton or Sofitel, with parking.
Have stayed at both before, not too worried which one we go to, but not used to on-site parking there for years. WHat I wanted to ask was, is it actually on-site? like do you see you car in the hotel car park or is it a 2 mile hike into some overflow car park?
Any tip/recommendations would be appreciated!
Thanks
Jo x

jtlover
10-22-2009, 02:48 PM
Unless they have changed, Sofitel is off site and takes ages to get back to the hotel.

The one connected to Hilton is the long stay south terminal parking so doesnt take long to get back.

I would recommend ringing Sofitel just to confirm though

TraceyL
10-22-2009, 04:28 PM
Won;t stay at the Hilton as their parking is no longer 'on-site' which was always the biggest plus for us. You used to park in the car park next door but that is no longer the case - long stay parking is now at the long term, off site car park. We had to wait ages for the shuttle and then it was a real scrum to get on the bus :scared1:

I believe the parking is at the hotel car park at the Sofitel - if you book their park & fly package direct. I'm also looking at the meet & greet options through Holiday Extras :thumbsup2

Joanne_in_London
10-22-2009, 05:39 PM
Thanks so much for your replies, soooo helpful!! We actually suspected it was the other way around, as we parked at the Hilton years ago and it WAS onsite. I HATE those shuttle things, it defeates the object of having your car at the onsite hotel!! . I will give sofitel a ring and let you know what they say,
Jo x

Joanne_in_London
10-22-2009, 05:59 PM
Right ok I just spoke to them, (a very rude french man!) and Sofitel move your car to a long stay car park after you go, you leave them your keys at reception, then they drive it back to the hotel car park the day before you return. It is more expensive then Gatwick with parking, but does sound much much easier.
On a different point (and this is where he got rude!) I asked him why their website only allowed me to put in 2 adults and 1 child, not 2, and he said, because its against the law for them to have over 2 people in a double room, so I said well I didn't want a double room, I wanted a family room, which he confirmed they do have. Then he said, their system doesnt allow you to put in 2 children??
So I asked how would I go about booking this then?? He said, well just do it on the website!!!??? And I tried to explain that it asks for the number of people first, before you get to any option of what room you like...
SO.... the upshot of it is, I think we will stay there, but go through gatwick-hotel-accommodation.com, they seem quite reasonable and allow a family option.

Thanks again for your help, brilliant as always!!

jtlover
10-23-2009, 08:56 AM
Right ok I just spoke to them, (a very rude french man!) and Sofitel move your car to a long stay car park after you go, you leave them your keys at reception, then they drive it back to the hotel car park the day before you return. It is more expensive then Gatwick with parking, but does sound much much easier.
On a different point (and this is where he got rude!) I asked him why their website only allowed me to put in 2 adults and 1 child, not 2, and he said, because its against the law for them to have over 2 people in a double room, so I said well I didn't want a double room, I wanted a family room, which he confirmed they do have. Then he said, their system doesnt allow you to put in 2 children??
So I asked how would I go about booking this then?? He said, well just do it on the website!!!??? And I tried to explain that it asks for the number of people first, before you get to any option of what room you like...
SO.... the upshot of it is, I think we will stay there, but go through gatwick-hotel-accommodation.com, they seem quite reasonable and allow a family option.

Thanks again for your help, brilliant as always!!

If you go to www.gatwickreservations.com have a look at their prices as you dont have to pay for the reservation until the arrival day:thumbsup2