PDA

View Full Version : Just about to go! Phone advice please

MickeysMagicalMiles
10-20-2009, 03:56 AM
Off tomorrow for 10 days - OKW and AKL, very excited:banana::banana::banana:

Any tips on using phones?

1) Can you buy PAYG phones out there that are cheap that you then discard (got this idea from watching The Wire!)?

2)Presume you can use a wifi enabled phone in a hotel to get onto the internet without incurring any charges - any experience of this

Any other tips for using a UK phone (iPhone as it happens) in the world?:)

Cheers

timtunes
10-20-2009, 03:59 AM
Sorry used another family members account - the question was from me

wayneg
10-20-2009, 06:12 AM
I believe a PAYG phone is available in Walmart for $29.99 including 300 minutes. Their website is down just now to confirm.
We don't use phones much to be bothered, just use our UK mobiles, a few texts each holiday never costs more than 4-5

No experience with connecting a phone but WiFi is very limited within Disney, resorts are a wired connection at $9.95/24 hour period

Site working again now
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/search-ng.gsp?dept=0&povid=cat654259-env211089-module211090-lLink2&search_query=NET10&search_redirect=false

Saw this on Dibb, some say only online now(which is what Walmart site says). http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=354529

igk
10-20-2009, 07:07 AM
I intend to used the wired ethernet connection (for $9.95/day) and use Skype/Voip with it. I don't think the wired connections are particularly fast at WDW but should be adequate.
I have done this in other locations abroad and it works fine. Skyping someone with streaming video from somewhere exotic is always an impressive thing to do :thumbsup2

2Tiggies
10-20-2009, 07:24 AM
I also just use my mobile as I don't use it much. As long as you don't have to ever use a USA pay phone .... oh the frustration :sad: !!!! I am sure they have changed now, but I still try and avoid them at all costs.

timtunes
10-20-2009, 07:52 AM
Thanks guys - good tips as always

Think I'll pass on the phones at that price.....

Cheers:cool1:

jharrowell
10-20-2009, 01:45 PM
I bought a phone from Walmart (think it was roughly the price listed above) that had a SIM that was compatible with my iPhone that used it in that.

However I go to WDW fairly regularly so it makes sense to get the SIMS and keep them live, if it's a one off I doubt it's worth the cost.

Not the prettiest solution but you could always get an international calling card and use one of the WDW payphones or your room phone.