PDA

View Full Version : Aphrodite the rat...

TinkerBean
10-17-2009, 11:13 PM
So as many of you already know DD9 has 2 pet rats, Aphrodite and Peanut. They are as sweet as can be, very affectionate, smart, personable - they are just like puppies, they are just so stinking cute.

Well tonight we are all getting ready for bed, DD goes in to check on her girls and notices that Aphrodite isn't breathing right. We call my close friend, who is a vet, but we only get her answering machine. Meanwhile we've go the shower going on hot to steam up the bathroom and see if that helps releve her laboured breathing. Helps a little but not enough.

So we packed her up in a little carrier and DH is taking her to Angell Memorial Animal Hospital in Boston. State of the art facility and 20 minutes away to see if they can treat her. The Bean (dd) is beside herself with worry of what will happen to you furry friend. We've all gotten very attached to them - the spend most of the days riding on our shoulders and playing with the Bean and her friends.

Ughh - I hate when this kind of stuff happens. I just hope that it is something they can treat...

I will keep you all posted. Here is a pic of the Bean and Aphrodite
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee62/rhonda6699/rat.jpg

ZeroToHero
10-18-2009, 01:15 AM
:sad2: I hope she's okay!!!! Tell Bean I send my best wishes.

party of 3
10-18-2009, 01:38 AM
OOOHHHH NO!
tell the bean i will keep her and Aphrodite in my thoughts.
please keep me posted.
:hug:

joyah
10-18-2009, 06:31 AM
hoping all's okay. these little fury creatures work their way into our hearts. My oldest freaked out the other day over his hammie (she was acting weird) all was well though. Course she's 3 1/2 sooooooo...... and she's out lived all but 1 of her babies.

ddavis860
10-18-2009, 07:33 AM
Awwwww, hope all is well!

TinkerBean
10-18-2009, 07:49 AM
well...sad news

Aphrodite didn't make it. They couldn't tell exactly what was going on. Their best guess was a viral or baterial lung infection or lung cancer and she was at the point where it was untreatable.

We just told the Bean and she is, or course devastated.

Heavy sigh

Thanks for all of your thoughts - I appreciate it.

Rhonda

ddavis860
10-18-2009, 07:56 AM
:hug: So sorry for the loss!

party of 3
10-18-2009, 08:10 AM
OMG i am soooooo sorry for your loss. Please give Bean a big hug for me and tell her my heart is with her today. :hug:
so sad. :sad:

joyah
10-18-2009, 08:21 AM
oh poor bean. hugs to her and you as you both deal with the loss.

AlexWyattMommy
10-18-2009, 09:46 AM
:hug: I am so sorry Little Bean.

StitchIsOurHero
10-18-2009, 01:28 PM
Bless her heart! Give Little Bean a hug and tell her I'm so sorry!! :hug:

TinkerBean
10-18-2009, 05:06 PM
Thanks for all of the kind words everyone. We are keeping an eye on Peanut (her sister) she seems to be a little weezy. I hope she'll be OK.

The Bean is still pretty upset but a visit from PinballFamily's kids this afternoon cheered her up a little.

Keep your fingers crossed for Peanut...

Thanks

Rhonda

Lisa
10-18-2009, 06:13 PM
It is so hard when one loses a beloved pet. Poor bean, she must be crushed. Here is hoping Peanut will be fine.

You know when you first told us you had a rat, I was like, eewww, yuck, but you are right Aphrodite was so stinking cute. Guess it just goes to show one should always be open to new things. Peaceful slumber Aphrodite.

And Tinkerbean, what amazing blue eyes little bean has. :love:

morgansmom2000
10-18-2009, 07:17 PM
My deepest condolences on the lose of your pet. Please let Bean know that we are thinking of her. :hug:

Michellepooh
10-18-2009, 08:19 PM
Oh no! I always loved your stories about Aphrodite (and Peanut)!! Deepest condolensces to Bean and the rest of your family. It's never easy to lose a pet, they really are members of the family! :hug:

TinkerBean
10-19-2009, 12:07 AM
Thanks guys. After talking to my friend the vet (try not to bug her too much since she just underwent a double mastectomy and 4 rounds of chemo and isn't working at the moment) she suggested that we bring Peanut to Angell Memorial and have her looked at since she was acting a little strange. Poor Bean did not want her to go, since Aphrodite didn't make it back.

So Randy packed up and took her there. They think she may have pneumonia (which is what Aphrodite probably died of) and they prescribed two different anti biotics using itty bitty syringes to get it into her teeny tiny month. But things are definately more positive then they were last night.

Thanks for talking me through this you guys are the best:lovestruc

Bedtime for mehttp://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee62/rhonda6699/offtobed.gif

MazdaUK
10-19-2009, 03:54 AM
Hope Peanut pulls through OK. Give DD hugs from us:hug:

ddavis860
10-19-2009, 05:04 AM
:wizard: Sending PD that Peanut has a speedy recovery!

DisneyIsTerrific
10-19-2009, 06:09 AM
I'm so sorry about Aphrodite. It's really hard losing a pet. Big :hug: to Bean.

I sure hope Peanut is okay and gets well soon. More :hug:

AlexWyattMommy
10-19-2009, 06:38 AM
Sending Pixie Dust to Peanut. :tinker:

lovingthemouse
10-19-2009, 06:53 AM
Here's hoping that today is a stronger day for Peanut!!!:thumbsup2

jacksmomma
10-19-2009, 11:45 AM
Awww...give your daughter extra hugs and kisses...sending extra get well vibes to Peanut.

I have to agree with the PP...when I read rat I thought, ewww, yuck, but the picture is adorable! How cute!

Lisa
10-19-2009, 08:08 PM
How is Peanut and Bean doing? I hope both are feeling better, Peanut health wise and Bean emotionally.:hug:

New England Eeyore
10-20-2009, 10:15 PM
I'm just seeing this now - I'm so sorry to hear about Aphrodite! :hug: I hope Peanut fares well and that Bean is doing okay.