PDA

View Full Version : Coping with Insomnia.

bronny
10-11-2009, 08:56 AM
Hi guys.

I wondered if anyone has any tips on dealing with insomnia? I have had this on and off for years and am in the middle of a really bad flare up (I feel like an extra from Shaun of the Dead atm). I don't want sleeping tablets again as I end up drowsy the next day - and to be honest they are a short term fix. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have tried my G.P. and keep getting the same answers.

TIA

Bronny.

thelittlemermaid83
10-11-2009, 09:47 AM
I suffer from the same thing, my doctor prescribes me sleeping tablets but its got to the point where they make me feel awful the next day and i want to stop them.

I have tried to usual hot bath, hot chocolate etc nothing seems to work. Have you tried the herbal remedys? They are supposed to be rather good.

suzycute
10-12-2009, 12:48 PM
Insomnia is miserable!

Have you thought about a therapy route? CBT (cognitive behaviour therapy) is another way to approach this problem. Your GP might be able to refer you to to your nearest IAPT (Improving Access to Psychological Therapies) service. This is a new government initiative to give people speedier access to therapy. However where I work (I am a psychologist), we have been inundated with referrals so there can be a bit of a wait. A book that is based on CBT principles that might be of interest in "Overcoming insomnia and sleep problems" by Colin Espie.

Best of luck with whatever you try :thumbsup2

thelittlemermaid83
10-12-2009, 12:51 PM
I currently have CBT and i would say its worth being referred for, mine doesnt help with my sleeping but its done wonders for my depression.

joolz1910
10-12-2009, 03:03 PM
I currently have CBT and i would say its worth being referred for, mine doesnt help with my sleeping but its done wonders for my depression.

I didn't know that this sort of therapy was available on the NHS. I'm glad to hear that it's working for you Emma. It sounds good. I could do with it for all sorts of problems.:rotfl:

Insomnia is a nightmare. I have it on and off too, unfortunately I am married to someone who sleeps like a log. DH's head hits the pillow and he doesn't stir until the alarm goes off. Can you tell how jealous I am? My insomnia is linked to stress. I find that getting up and making lists sometimes helps me to stop things going round and round in my head.

orlandothebeagle
10-12-2009, 04:21 PM
I have worked night shift, week on,week off for ten years.week off:sad2: drives my hubby mad(except the wages I get!!)

Best tip, read your book, breath, be calm, and think rest is nearly as good as sleep, be calm, try not to worry, read,read,read.breath

irongirlof12
10-13-2009, 12:25 PM
I suffer on and off with Insomnia and it is always worst this time of year and the lead up to xmas. I get so worried that 'i must get to sleep' that the worry prevents me from sleeping ;), I'll bet you can relate to that! It causes so much anxiety and I can't concentrate on anything and become really slow and clumsy.

I have had sleeping tablets and they can break the cycle but I don't rely on them all of the time. sometimes anti-depressants can help too.

I try all sorts of things, i.e. St johns wort, baths, nytol tablets, rescue remedy drops, avois caffine etc. read self-help books, stayed up late. I just seem to switch-on as soon as I lie down in ved, it's so frustrating!

hope you feel better soon.

thelittlemermaid83
10-13-2009, 12:41 PM
I didn't know that this sort of therapy was available on the NHS. I'm glad to hear that it's working for you Emma. It sounds good. I could do with it for all sorts of problems.:rotfl:

I didn't either, i was only referred for it once i had been seeing my physcatrist for over a year and that was only by my CPN.

I had to wait 3 years for counselling though which was the worst experience of my life. I felt like i was counselling the counsellor :lmao:

howlongtillsummer?
10-13-2009, 01:59 PM
I find Evening Primrose Oil helps me....:cloud9:

bazzanoid
10-14-2009, 03:52 AM
How's your nutrition?

Try to structure your meals so your protein is in the morning, with carbs at night - a lovely healthy meal in the evening that's crammed with protein will stimulate your metabolism and help keep you awake, so go for a carb-loaded meal (but before 7pm or watch the weight pile on!) and it slows down the metabolism, readying you for bed. Avoiding tea, coffee or coke unless they're decaf after about 5pm also helps.

Also try a small sachet of lavender under your pillow, the scent helps relax the body.

Don't watch TV, read, post on the DIS or anything else that requires any kind of focus or concentration 30 minutes before bed and in bed itself. Listen to some instrumental music as you try to sleep, even if you have to put headphones on - nothing with lyrics or your brain will concentrate on listening to the words. Word of warning - use wireless headphones if you need them, don't want to strangle yourself in the middle of the night when you do doze off!

I find a little physical activity before bed helps as well, but for some this stimulates the body to keep going so it doesn't work for everyone.

Hope that helps and i hope you can get some sleep soon!

Captain Hook Jr
10-14-2009, 04:48 PM
I suffer from the same thing. I used to work until 11pm and get home from work at midnight. It used to take at least 3-4 hours to get tired enough to sleep. I would then get up to go to work at Midday. BUT I moved to Cornwall and I am now working normal 9-5pm hours each day. But my body is still in my london pattern. Its well over two months since I changed Job and I still dont feel tired until 3am and then I HAVE to get up by 8am to get to work so I am getting 4-5 hours sleep a night (if I am lucky). Its making me drowsy during the day and kranky too, which doesnt help as I work in Customer Service and have to be pleasant and jolly (Even if there is a Jerk at the other end of the phone). I havent tried medication YET. But try eating certain things and listening to soothing music etc............AINT working. Should I go to the Doctors???

Stitchnut
10-14-2009, 05:07 PM
Try Melatonin which is an all-natural sleep supplement. It is non habit forming and non addictive. You can buy it in the vitamin section of most stores. It basically helps you get back on your natural sleep pattern. Good luck. I hate insomnia.

Captain Hook Jr
10-15-2009, 07:14 AM
Thanks Stitchnut! I will definatley give it a go! I prefer an All Natural product. I just need to get a new sleeping pattern sorted out! :)