PDA

View Full Version : Nationwide debit card question.

tony64
10-09-2009, 01:31 AM
We have Nationwide debit and credit cards.

I have the spending money for our trip saved and I also have a couple of hundred dollars cash left over from the last trip.

I was thinking of putting the spending money into my current account and just using my debit card and atm's.

Is this a good idea or are there any problems with this plan?

Are there any charges for using the ATM's in the states and what is the max. I can draw out at any one time?

TIA

Tony

aleask
10-09-2009, 01:38 AM
Most ATM's will charge 1-3 or more $$ to get cash out. Using it to buy stuff as a credit card typically you do not get charged, but I prefer just having some cash on hand and using credit cards whenever possible and just pay the plastic off in one lump sum!

natalielongstaff
10-09-2009, 01:44 AM
We always use the CC and pay the balance straight off when we get home :) we have never withdrawn cash tho

tony64
10-09-2009, 02:03 AM
The CC is an option we will be using, I was wondering if ATM's and the debit card was a cheap way to get cash?

Pegasus928
10-09-2009, 02:35 AM
We always tend to withdraw cash whilst out there as it normally seems to work out that I get paid at some point during the holiday.
We found we were getting charged about $1 each time we withdrew and the max we could get out each day was $500. You are also at the mercy of the bank and whatever they decide to have as their exchange rate on the day you use the ATM, but we have found that it is never far off what we were expecting anyway.

scottishgirl87
10-09-2009, 05:40 AM
I used my Nationwide debit card while in LA and Vegas last year and wasn't charged by Nationwide to withdraw, however, alot of ATM's charged a fee to use the ATM which was anything from $1 up to about $6!

I know Nationwide have changed their fees abroad since then so it's no longer "free" but I think it's something like 1% they charge to withdraw now. Still significantly less than alot of others!

rpbert1
10-09-2009, 03:53 PM
I did this this year, BOA charged $1.50 for a transaction, but i used Walmart when i could for withdrawals and their was no charge

tony64
10-10-2009, 01:49 AM
Thanks guys
Was that cashback at walmart or do they have ATM's?

rpbert1
10-10-2009, 02:55 PM
It was their ATMs, not sure but i dont think you can use your Debit card in the states, only at ATMs

tony64
10-10-2009, 03:48 PM
It was their ATMs, not sure but i dont think you can use your Debit card in the states, only at ATMs

Thanks Robert, that's good to know.:thumbsup2