PDA

View Full Version : Car Hire and Sat Nav

Jez123
10-02-2009, 05:07 PM
Our travel agent suggested we ditched the 'included' car hire in our package for which we had to pay extra for insurance and went for a separate package with another hire company (alamo) which included insurance and worked out about 20 cheaper. However, to include Sat Nav was about extra 150 GBP(estimate *** I cant remember full cost!). I have seen reports on here of people booking sat nav for around 80 USD. Anyone have any advice on this and whether I can do this when we pick up car.

wayneg
10-02-2009, 05:26 PM
Price up a car thru these agents, all used by DISboarders. Compare to your quotes you have from TA.

http://www.usrentacar.co.uk/
http://www.uscarhire.co.uk/
http://www.netflights.com/carhire/
http://www.carhire3000.com/Home.do?c...a&city=Orlando
http://www.carhireflorida.net/
http://www.virginatlantictravelplus.com/DefaultCar.aspx
http://www.alamo.co.uk/Hotdeals/740/uk/aluk_discount_usa

For Sat Nav, renting is the most expensive way to go, costs about same to rent for 2 weeks as it does to buy a unit. You can buy in Walmart on arrival for about $100 (TomTom) or watch out on Ebay just done a Very fast search and found this 90 delivered, if you don't want it after your hol sell again you will more or less get your money back.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TomTom-GO-910-SAT-NAV-2009-UK-Europe-US-Maps-GPS-only_W0QQitemZ190337401319QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Au dioTVElectronics_GPSSystems_GPSSystems?hash=item2c 50fe41e7&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Jez123
10-02-2009, 05:38 PM
Wow ... thanks for the idea of buying a SAT NAV for usa ... I hadnt even considered that as an option:rolleyes1. I will look into it.

wayneg
10-02-2009, 05:48 PM
This is the one Walmart sell instore for about $100, on their site at $98 today.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10670232

I have a HP PDA I bought off Ebay with Bluetooth GPS and US maps, It was badly described but I knew exactly what I was buying, almost new, came with US plug which helped to keep price low, cost me about 30 for a unit worth about 200.

bigbear
10-03-2009, 06:10 AM
Hi. We have a Garmin Satnav and can download the US maps from their website. Would we need anything else to use it in a hire car in the US? Are the lighter points you plug into the same? We have been to Florida before and had a hire car but no Satnav, to be honest it would have been really helpful so we are hoping to take our own next time. All help appreciated

wayneg
10-03-2009, 06:29 AM
Would we need anything else to use it in a hire car in the US? Are the lighter points you plug into the same?

No experience with Garmin but I guess its same as TomTom on my PDA, just switch maps to US, lighter sockets are exactly the same, basic cars are like here just one socket, some of bigger cars have more.

bigbear
10-03-2009, 06:32 AM
Thank you, that's really helpful :thumbsup2

bigbear
10-03-2009, 06:35 AM
P.S Just noticed your location, we live near Dewsbury!!!

wayneg
10-03-2009, 06:37 AM
P.S Just noticed your location, we live near Dewsbury!!!

Where abouts? I am in Thornhill

bigbear
10-03-2009, 06:53 AM
Where abouts? I am in Thornhill

Liversedge, so not too far away!

Cyrano
10-03-2009, 06:53 AM
We have a TomTom 520 which I downloaded Southeast USA maps to so that we have UK, Europe and Florida all on one disc. As others will state it was a godsend to take away all the stress.
Being the anorak that I am I also downloaded lots of POI (points of interest). So we had all the WDW parks and hotels, Universal, Seaworld and lots of restaurants.

As I have just upgraded to a TomTom 730 I will be doing this all again for next years trip :thumbsup2

wayneg
10-03-2009, 07:15 AM
Liversedge, so not too far away!

My Uncle used to live in Milton Gardens, now on Thornleigh Drive.
You also have a lot of caches hidden around Heckmondwike area, did this one recently, just off Cornmill lane. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=fdb85f35-10a8-4250-a1e1-a4fcc3934f7a

bigbear
10-03-2009, 07:40 AM
My Uncle used to live in Milton Gardens, now on Thornleigh Drive.
You also have a lot of caches hidden around Heckmondwike area, did this one recently, just off Cornmill lane. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=fdb85f35-10a8-4250-a1e1-a4fcc3934f7a

Well, I have to admit, this is something I have never heard of before. Had to look it up on internet!!:surfweb:

ScotScroogeMcDuck
10-03-2009, 09:34 AM
Can I ask a really daft question - do all UK sat navs work in america?

suzybear6
10-03-2009, 10:18 AM
We've got a Tom Tom One with UK and Europe preloaded on it.

Has anyone tried to download US maps to this model? My brother thought that the memory wouldn't be big enough to cope with all the maps and that we might have to "overwrite" the maps we have on it now to get the US ones one there (saving them somewhere else first though).

Anyone done it on a Tom Tom One?

Luv Suzy

wayneg
10-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Can I ask a really daft question - do all UK sat navs work in america?

What is it you have? Garmin and Tom Tom you can buy US maps for. It needs to either be able to connect to internet to download maps or have a memory card slot to load a different map on.
If you post what you have then someone might be able to help.

buzz for boys
10-03-2009, 10:27 AM

Has anyone tried to download US maps to this model? My brother thought that the memory wouldn't be big enough to cope with all the maps and that we might have to "overwrite" the maps we have on it now to get the US ones one there (saving them somewhere else first though).

Luv Suzy

we had to download ours on to a memory card - does your tom tom have a memeory card slot ???
If not i believe you do need to save the existing file onto your pc eg ; europe maps and then delete them off the tom tom!! add the usa maps and then revers the procedure when you return home or when you need the europe maps. When you plug your tom tom into your pc it will tell you available memory you have left but I doubt you will have enough to store all 3 maps on the tom tom

Pegasus928
10-03-2009, 01:36 PM
We have a Garmin sat nav that has maps for Europe, Middle East and America.
We never have to do anything with it with regards to the maps. When we switch the unit on it looks for the satelites and automatically loads the correct maps.
Someone also asked about the power sockets (cigarette lighters) and they are the same over there as they are here.
The other thing we do when we arrive is to change the 'locale' of the voice so it speaks to us with an American twang. Sad, I know, but it is just another little thing we do that says 'We are here'

Cyrano
10-03-2009, 02:25 PM

Luv Suzy

For our 520 I bought a 2gb SD memory card. Then copied the UK and Europe maps from the exisiting card. You are able to do this as the licence allows you to use the maps on the exisiting tomtom, but on a different card.
Then I downloaded the USA map onto the 2Gb card. This then became the main card that was used in the satnav :thumbsup2

bigbear
10-03-2009, 04:55 PM
We have a Garmin sat nav that has maps for Europe, Middle East and America.
We never have to do anything with it with regards to the maps. When we switch the unit on it looks for the satelites and automatically loads the correct maps.
Someone also asked about the power sockets (cigarette lighters) and they are the same over there as they are here.
The other thing we do when we arrive is to change the 'locale' of the voice so it speaks to us with an American twang. Sad, I know, but it is just another little thing we do that says 'We are here'

Not as sad as us, our kids have set ours up to speak with an Australian accent and they call it 'Bruce'.:drive: I'm sure they'll use the American one in Florida though

suzybear6
10-03-2009, 05:44 PM
Just checked with DP......no SD memory card in ours and he too thinks there won't be enough memory to cope with adding extra maps to it, so we'll have to save our Europe maps on our computer and then over-write with the US maps :scared1:

How much do hire car companies charge to hire a Sat Nav with the car in Florida?

As for being sad, well we're Dr Who fans in our house so we've got Dalek Tom's voice giving us instructions! :rotfl:

Luv Suzy

Cyrano
10-03-2009, 06:13 PM
Just checked with DP......no SD memory card in ours and he too thinks there won't be enough memory to cope with adding extra maps to it, so we'll have to save our Europe maps on our computer and then over-write with the US maps :scared1:

If you connect to TomTom Home you should be able to see if the US map can be downloaded. Then you can backup before replacing the maps :)

wayneg
10-03-2009, 06:23 PM
How much do hire car companies charge to hire a Sat Nav with the car in Florida?

They vary but Budgets costs are here.
(GPS): 11.95USD per day, 59.95USD per week, 100.00USD max. charge
Approx 65.(+ tax probably)
As I said for that price you can buy at Walmart, buy off ebay and re-sell for a lot less or download a map for less.

wayneg
10-03-2009, 06:24 PM
We have ours set to The Queen. She says " One has reached ones destination" :goodvibes

suzybear6
10-03-2009, 06:43 PM
I've had a quick look at Tom Tom home and it looks like we can buy a SE USA map for around 35. Now I've just got to work out if it's worth the bother compared to just hiring a Sat Nav with the hire car :confused3

Luv Suzy

suzybear6
10-03-2009, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the info Wayneg :goodvibes

Might have a look at Ebay to see what the prices are like.

Guess we were really lucky last year when we hired a car in France that had a built in Sat Nav so didn't have to actually pay any extra for it. Maire Claire (as we named her :lmao:) was the reason we went out and bought our own Sat Nav - I enjoyed being able to look at the scenery as we drove along rather than having my nose in a map the whole time :thumbsup2

Luv Suzy

Shazzie B
10-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Suzybear6; We have a TomTom 1 without a memory card too. We were able to load South West USA maps OK (and didn't need to delete UK & Europe). We've not had our Tom Tom long, but the TomTom site guides you through it OK; unless you've got loads of other stuff loaded you should be OK.

We also have Homer's voice loaded!!

suzybear6
10-05-2009, 05:14 AM
Ohh thank you Shazzie... that's what I like to hear :flower3:

It will be so much easier & cheaper if we can just download the SE US maps wihtout having to delete our UK & Europe maps :):):):)

Luv Suzy

bazzanoid
10-05-2009, 06:20 AM
No experience with Garmin but I guess its same as TomTom on my PDA, just switch maps to US, lighter sockets are exactly the same, basic cars are like here just one socket, some of bigger cars have more.

Speaking as a Garmin owner - You don't even need to switch maps, as long as they're installed on the system or SD card (recommended, you won't fit Florida on the internal memory - you can choose where to install them to in the CityNavigator software) it will just start working out there.

Word of warning though; take a paper map of the route from the airport to your hotel/villa/wherever as it can take up to 20 minutes for the unit to 'find' itself, it may ask you a couple of questions, including "Are you indoors?" and "Have you moved hundreds of miles since last turn on?" in the process.

Last time we went we stopped off at the first gas station we could find as we were thirsty after the flight (and won't pay airport prices lol), left the satnav on (but hidden) and by the time we came out and finished our drinks it was happily telling me exactly where i was.

wayneg
10-05-2009, 06:52 AM
Speaking as a Garmin owner - You don't even need to switch maps, as long as they're installed on the system or SD card (recommended, you won't fit Florida on the internal memory - you can choose where to install them to in the CityNavigator software) it will just start working out there.

Word of warning though; take a paper map of the route from the airport to your hotel/villa/wherever as it can take up to 20 minutes for the unit to 'find' itself, it may ask you a couple of questions, including "Are you indoors?" and "Have you moved hundreds of miles since last turn on?" in the process.

Last time we went we stopped off at the first gas station we could find as we were thirsty after the flight (and won't pay airport prices lol), left the satnav on (but hidden) and by the time we came out and finished our drinks it was happily telling me exactly where i was.

20 mins is crazy, its only 20-25 mins to hotels. My PDA with TomTom software is active as soon as we leave the garage. Switching maps obviously cuts down the time it takes to process its location.
We have a Garmin etrex handheld GPS unit for Geocaching, that is same 15-20 mins to find new location when going transatlantic. I thought it was a fault with the unit but looks like its a Garmin problem.

bazzanoid
10-05-2009, 07:00 AM
20 mins is crazy, its only 20-25 mins to hotels. My PDA with TomTom software is active as soon as we leave the garage. Switching maps obviously cuts down the time it takes to process its location.
We have a Garmin etrex handheld GPS unit for Geocaching, that is same 15-20 mins to find new location when going transatlantic. I thought it was a fault with the unit but looks like its a Garmin problem.

Oh yes it most definitely is - i think the trouble is that they store the last known location and are programmed to 'assume' they're in and around that area give or take a hundred miles (i.e. within the same country / area of country) - they seem to have difficulty grasping the concept of moving a long distance away.

One thing i found that helped a lot was turning the unit on and the GPS antenna off, then browsing manually to orlando airport, and setting it as your current location. THEN turn the GPS back on, it generally finds itself within a couple of minutes.

igk
10-05-2009, 07:19 AM
I like the idea of buying one in Wal Mart, I hadn't thought of that. The only problem would be finding your way to Wal Mart in the first place :lmao:

bazzanoid
10-05-2009, 07:45 AM
I like the idea of buying one in Wal Mart, I hadn't thought of that. The only problem would be finding your way to Wal Mart in the first place :lmao:

There's one like you in every forum* :sad2:

*perfectly valid point tho

:teeth::teeth::teeth:

CousinB
10-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Hi Jez123, In May this year I hired a TomTom1 on line from www.cheapsatnavhire.co.uk

It arrived by 1st class post the day before we left for Orlando and I returned it the day we got back post paid. It had USA maps, worked perfectly and cost 30 for 2 weeks hire.

suzybear6
10-06-2009, 08:28 PM
Hi Jez123, In May this year I hired a TomTom1 on line from www.cheapsatnavhire.co.uk

It arrived by 1st class post the day before we left for Orlando and I returned it the day we got back post paid. It had USA maps, worked perfectly and cost 30 for 2 weeks hire.

Oh now that's an idea if we have trouble downloading the US maps to our TomTom :idea:

Thanks for the info :goodvibes

Luv Suzy

Pegasus928
10-07-2009, 03:36 AM

That does seem excessive. We have a Garmin and have never had to wait more than a couple of minutes - and we have used it in US, UK and the Middle East :confused3

bazzanoid
10-07-2009, 03:42 AM
That does seem excessive. We have a Garmin and have never had to wait more than a couple of minutes - and we have used it in US, UK and the Middle East :confused3

Hmm maybe it's to do with the hardware of the GPS in certain models in that case.....