PDA

View Full Version : I'm here!!!

torsie24
10-02-2009, 05:07 AM
Been awake since 4.30am!

I am just way too excited!!! And not good at changing timezones!

Our journey was wonderful yesterday, albeit long. Both flights were really spacious and a great service on our Delta LHR-DTW leg. Detroit was the easiest airport ever to connect in. Had cleared immigration, and got bags, and re checked in within about 20 minutes.

Found ME no problem, and had a bit of a wait to leave as we just missed a bus.

But we were on our way soon enough adn the journey flew by. We stopped at Pop and CSR first, and then it was our turn!!

As soon as we got through the lobby door there was a huge group of kids all aroung a drummer guy, and it was like a welcome party as we stepped though adn he started playing and they all started dancing! Hee hee.

We stood in awe for a bit then got checked in.

I only booked a standard room, but we have been given possibly the best savannah room I could hae hoped for! Right near the start of the zebra trail with a view over the arusha savannah and the lobby. :)

I can't wait for today to start properly, and for the animals to wake up, and to get to the MK!!

eeyorefanuk
10-02-2009, 05:26 AM
Oh so jealous :goodvibes

Glad your flight went ok, cannot wait for more updates.

Have a lovely first day :woohoo:

wayneg
10-02-2009, 05:33 AM
You have done the same route we did last Oct, Heathrow via Detroit. We had no problems either, We were on a NWA plane wich was brilliant.

We booked std rom last year and got upgraded to Savannah room, if we had handpicked the room we couldn't have done better, right next to giraffe feeding point. Problem is we never want to go back there now in a std room but I won't pay savannah view prices.

Have a great day.

jjk
10-02-2009, 05:37 AM
how exciting, have a great time at MK today :thumbsup2

Chilly
10-02-2009, 05:37 AM
Great start to your holiday.

igk
10-02-2009, 05:51 AM
How wonderful to get upgraded! Have a great time :cool1:

disney_princess_85
10-02-2009, 06:23 AM
Have a fab time! :woohoo:

I only booked a standard room, but we have been given possibly the best savannah room I could hae hoped for! Right near the start of the zebra trail with a view over the arusha savannah and the lobby. :)

We booked std rom last year and got upgraded to Savannah room, if we had handpicked the room we couldn't have done better, right next to giraffe feeding point. Problem is we never want to go back there now in a std room but I won't pay savannah view prices.

Interesting about the Savannah View upgrades. We are considering AKL for our trip next year and were going to pay for the upgrade. With this new information though, we probably won't. I know there's no guarantee that we'll get a free upgrade, but I think I'm right in thinking that we can always pay for one at check-in, if there are any rooms available.

wayneg
10-02-2009, 06:36 AM
Interesting about the Savannah View upgrades. We are considering AKL for our trip next year and were going to pay for the upgrade. With this new information though, we probably won't. I know there's no guarantee that we'll get a free upgrade, but I think I'm right in thinking that we can always pay for one at check-in, if there are any rooms available.

There are some that believe upgrades at AKL get given on almost every short stay trip, they have very few std rooms so they are used for people that book long stay std rooms( eg UK 14 night travellers) not sure if this is true or not.
We were there 3 nights and got upgrade but we were also AP holders which might have helped.
I would guess quieter months you are almost sure to get an upgrade busy months less chance.
Yes you can ask at desk if you could buy an upgrade if they don't offer you one(or ask 1st)

disney_princess_85
10-02-2009, 06:49 AM
There are some that believe upgrades at AKL get given on almost every short stay trip, they have very few std rooms so they are used for people that book long stay std rooms( eg UK 14 night travellers) not sure if this is true or not.
We were there 3 nights and got upgrade but we were also AP holders which might have helped.
I would guess quieter months you are almost sure to get an upgrade busy months less chance.
Yes you can ask at desk if you could buy an upgrade if they don't offer you one(or ask 1st)

Thanks Wayne. :thumbsup2

fairytale
10-02-2009, 08:08 AM
Interesting about the Savannah View upgrades. We are considering AKL for our trip next year and were going to pay for the upgrade. With this new information though, we probably won't. I know there's no guarantee that we'll get a free upgrade, but I think I'm right in thinking that we can always pay for one at check-in, if there are any rooms available.[/QUOTE]

We had a standard room book, ooh a good few years back now I think it was in 2004, we wasnt offered a free upgrade and when i cheekly asked they said it would not be possible due our stay been for 21 night.

We ended up paying extra though and I recall it cost approx $750.00 for the three weeks. But like I say this was 5 years ago now.

natalielongstaff
10-02-2009, 08:31 AM
great upgrade, have a fab time :cool1:

CHEK
10-02-2009, 08:33 AM
Fab news :thumbsup2

Have a wonderful day at MK, can't wait to hear all about it :thumbsup2

disney_princess_85
10-02-2009, 08:47 AM
We had a standard room book, ooh a good few years back now I think it was in 2004, we wasnt offered a free upgrade and when i cheekly asked they said it would not be possible due our stay been for 21 night.

We ended up paying extra though and I recall it cost approx $750.00 for the three weeks. But like I say this was 5 years ago now.

Thanks for the info. I guess free upgrades aren't always possible! $750 to upgrade for three weeks isn't too bad though. We're planning on going in September, so perhaps we'd have more chance of getting it for free as it's low season. We'll see!

So jealous of Torsie right now, what with her great room and impending visit to MK! :cutie:

joolz1910
10-02-2009, 12:44 PM
Hi Torsie. Great news about the room. Hope you have a great time at MK.

Pegasus928
10-02-2009, 12:44 PM
Pleased to hear you got there safe and are having a wonderful time.

Looking forward to seeing you check in again and hear about your days

scottish mum
10-02-2009, 12:47 PM
Glad you got there ok and WOW about getting such a great room. have a brilliant time

torsie24
10-02-2009, 04:01 PM
Interesting about you saying about upgrades for short vs. long stays.

We're here for 14 nights, so must have just got lucky. Maybe because we have engagement on our reservation it helped us out?

I am currently lying on the bed and watching some Pelicans, a giraffe and the biggest cow thing with the hugest horns EVER on the savannah out of the window. :)

We had an amazing morning at the MK!!!!!!!

The welcome show was awesome, I love love loved it!! We then walked down Main Street and through liberty square, where froniterland Donald was all alone so we chatted with him and had some photos.

We rode Splash Mountain first - got drenched at the start as a log came down beside us! The drop was really fast and steep - not what I was expecting!

We then rode in order:

BTM
PotC
Jungle Cruise
HM
Winne the Pooh
Small World
Philharmagic
TTA
and Buzz

The only ride we feel wasn't as good as Paris's version was PotC, the Jack Sparrow animatronics were awesome, but it just seemed to be over so abruptly though. We forgave it as it is waaaay older, and still super fun.

We though BTM was just as fun, HM was better than Phantom Manor, Small World was just as charming, and I really loved the jungle room. Buzz lightyear seemed a lot harder to score on though! I got my lowest score of all time!

Philharmagic is officially my favourite Disney attraction of ALL TIME!! It was like all my dreams of being in my favourite movies from childhood had come true! We are riding again tomorrow!!!! Oooooooh I loved it!

I personally found this MK to feel a lot more magical and to look more impressive. We got a free Dole Whip, and the CMs are just soooo friendly and it all adds to an awesome atmosphere.

Right, I must dash as we're off to AK for pm EMH. :)

I'll update later!!! xxxxxxxxxx

wayneg
10-02-2009, 05:19 PM
I prefer PotC at Disneyland Cali, WDW not quite as good.

Well done getting a free Dole Whip, how you manage that?

Was it this horny cow you saw? :rotfl:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/wayneg1/IMG_9188Medium.jpg

This was our view

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/wayneg1/Hotels/P1010382Medium.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y236/wayneg1/Hotels/P1010429Medium.jpg

tazz23
10-02-2009, 07:11 PM
:thumbsup2 What a view Wayneg!

So glad you are having a great time! Hows the weather? It's getting a bit chilly here.

oh and well done on the free dole whip, yum yum! :wizard:

amystevekai&bump
10-03-2009, 03:12 AM
wow torsie - what a fantastic upgrade!!:banana::banana:

So glad you are having such a great time, and really looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip!!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

howlongtillsummer?
10-03-2009, 06:27 AM
:goodvibes
What a lovely way to start off the Disney Magic!!! Have a great time and take loads of pics for us.

Ware Bears
10-03-2009, 09:27 AM
Well done on the upgrade! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: Philharmagic is great, isn't it!

tinks_1989
10-03-2009, 01:57 PM
you are making me SUPER! Jealous especially after the day at work I have had

wow on the upgrade every thing you got done in one day free dole whip good flight seems like the perfect holiday :D

Cyrano
10-03-2009, 02:10 PM
Victoria great that the journey was pleasant and so pleased that you got a Savanah room upgrade :)

thelittlemermaid83
10-03-2009, 03:35 PM
Sounds like your have a fab time hun!

torsie24
10-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. :)

We've had an amazing time so far!

When we left off it was Friday nigt and we were off to AK.

Wow, what a park! We rode Dinosaur - awesome, absolutely stunning and super fun ride. Everest, which was a lot more intense than we were expecting! But also great, Yeti was just on strobe though, no arm movement. Then we rode the Safari, and despote us thinking that only the morning would be a good time for it, we saw soooooooo many animals! Awesome awesome, we can;t wait to go on again! And we also watched It's tough to be a bug! We loved it (not the getting stung in the back part though, lol).

The park is so meticulously and flawlessly themed, Jack absolutely loves it, so at his request we're back there tuesday morning. :) He also has proclaimed Disnosaur his favourite ride ever. But wants to get back on the safari asap too. I think he has a favourite park!

That being said, yesterday morning we hit DHS, the park neither of us were that excited for, and we both loved every minute of it (and we were there almost 3 hours longer than we planned!) Sci Fi was amazing, TSM is possibly the most fun EVER, we loved One Mans Dream and were in there for ages looking at everything. GMR was good, and it was lovely to understand Star Tours. The backlot tour was good also. We didnt go on ToT or RNRC yet. Oooh we saw the HSM3 show too, very good!

Then we went to MK last ngiht for Spectro and Wishes, it was sooo busy but we got a gret spot by Caseys and loved every minute of the parade and fireworks. Luckily the MK was open till 11 so we then went over to BTM but ut had a 45 min wait and the FPs were onyl for 50 mins time, so we got FPs then headed over to the HM and rode, then headed over and enjoyed BTM in the dark. Super duper fun! We had the most rowdy train ever, and we were all whopping and cheering when we got back in the station, it was awesome. We prefer this BTM now having ridden a couple of times.

Today we haven;t been to any parks, we went to DTD which was way too busy adn hectoc for our liking. And also to the Premium outlet, got some good deals on Converse, and I got some pins for $1 each, so now have 20 I'm all set to trade.

We then laid by the pool for as long as we could stand in the crazy heat. And are chilling at the moment. I jsut had to nip away as a giraffe was so close to us! He spent ages chewing on his dinner and staring right in my direction, was awesome. :)

We are going to wanred over to Kidani in a little bit, then get some dinner from the Mara as we have our big wedding planning day tomorrow! Eeeeeeeeeeee.

wayneg
10-04-2009, 06:41 PM
Sounds like you are having an amazing time. AK is my least fave park, by far prefer Busch Gardens for an animal/theme park. Although Lion King in AK is my fave show.
Matt aged 15 still won't sit back on Bugs life seat after all the times he has been, hates it, has to sit forwards all the show.:rotfl:

torsie24
10-04-2009, 06:47 PM
Hahaha, tell Matt I'm 24 and won't be leaning back on any of our subsequent viewings of ITTTAB! Well, I will until that point.

I liked the bugs under your bum at the end though, very funny.

jockey
10-05-2009, 02:45 AM
Sounds as though you are having a wonderful time, we love AKL :)

thelittlemermaid83
10-05-2009, 03:39 AM
Great update hun, can't wait to read more.

Pegasus928
10-05-2009, 03:54 AM
I love the fact that you are having such a fantastic time.

Did you get your $1 pins from the Disney store in Premium Outlets. Our nephew who is coming with us will need some to trade, and although we have given him some of ours it would be nice if we could get him some more.

And about the fact that you like to feel the bugs uder your bum at the end of ITTBAB - no comment :rotfl2:

scottish mum
10-05-2009, 05:13 AM
Sounds like you are having a brilliant time. Looking forward to hearing more, hope your wedding planning goes good

torsie24
10-05-2009, 07:14 AM
Thanks everyone!! :)

Yeah, the pins are in a pack of 4 all 2009 ones that obviously didn't sell at the RRP of $22.95! But at $4.99 I wasn't saying no. So I got 5 packs, and some funny looks from Jack, already traded on though and we have 10 days left, so I know i'll do it easy peasy. :)

Last night we walked over to Kidani, but on the way we stopped at the concierge desk as we are loving this resort so much we might honeymoon here. So I asked the lady there if they had any honeymoon suites. She said not really, but showed us a King Room at Club level (what a view from up in that lounge!!) and also the Vice Presedential suite, which had one of the nicest bathrooms I've seen! Shame it had way more bedrooms than we needed, but it is amazing and has an awesome awesome view!

We then walked to Kidani and back, which was a lovely walk at night, if not a little sweaty and scary as one of the biggest crickets in the world was on the path on our way back, so we both had to run past and pray he didn't fee like jumping any time soon!

Jack loved the Kidani lobby, and all the artwork and lighting, and I thought it was gorgeous too, but still prefer Jambo, he thinks he prefers Kidanio though, suffice to say, both are gorgeous! At Kidani we looked at a 1 bed villa, as I think one will do us great for honeymoon, and I was right! Jack loved it, and it is a wonderful size, and how awesome are the bathrooms?!?!? Love love loved it! (But I'd rather be in Jambo) we also checked out the pool which looked lovely, but a bit of a pain to get to if you have to walk through the lobby everytime.

We are off to our wedding planning session now, and I am soo excited are nervous!

Chilly
10-05-2009, 07:21 AM
Great work on the pins!

Have fun at your PS.

Sarah84
10-05-2009, 10:17 AM
Sounds like you really are having an amazing time, i too found MK at WDW more magical than Paris. I guess thats why i wasn't so keen on Paris at I went WDW first. Everyone in MK WDW seemed so happy and really into the whole Disney thing.

Haha i hated the bit of ITTBAB when it feels like they are crawling under your bum.
Glad you ended up enjoying DHS and great bargin on the pins.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip and your wedding planning session went well :)

mandymouse
10-05-2009, 10:57 AM
It sounds like you're having a fantastic time Victoria :thumbsup2 Enjoy the rest of your trip ::yes::

torsie24
10-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Just back from our planning session, now we have a couple of hours until our meeting with our wedding photographers for photos at the Poly.

This morning was am-a-zing!!!!

We viewed all our possible wedding locations. All I could do when we went into the pavillion was cry, it is so magical! We also saw a few locations at EPCOT, which was awesome, and we got to do an entire loop of backstage and enter through lots of different secret doors, in the living seas and UK. Awesome time!!!!!!!

Now we have a while chilling out as it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO hot, and then after our photos we have an ADR at Kona. :)

Chilly
10-05-2009, 03:06 PM
Can't wait to hear more.

saratogagirl
10-05-2009, 04:33 PM
your excitement is infectious, it sounds like you are having an amaxing time

torsie24
10-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Hi everyone!

Our photo session was awesome yesterday, although it rained pretty hard. We started out in the Poly and then moved over to the GF. Our photographers are just amazing, and we know we have definitely made the best choice for our wedding. :)

Kona was delicious too! And we got a lovely free congratualtions dessert, num num.

This monring we went to AK, loved both of the treks and spent about 45 minutes in each. The safari was fantastic again, we saw SO many elephants. Kali was fun, but a bit short IMHO. And Dinosaur was even funner than last time.

We went to BB this afternoon, which was good fun, although we didn't brave Summit Plummet!! Nor shall we be.

We came back and managed to get a walk up for Boma as we were starving. Mmmmm it was delicious, although I had no room for dessert, which I was a little disappointed at, but I enjoyed my mains so much I am still very satisfied. :)

Sarah84
10-06-2009, 06:40 PM
Sounds like a lovely couple of days, i can't believe you didn't brave summit plummet though it really isn't too bad and you are down the bottom so quickly

tinks_1989
10-07-2009, 02:29 AM
I am so jealous you had a photo session with the roots they are away when we go as i really wanted to meet them before seeing them when we get married

glad your having a good time shoo that rain away though i dont want any when im there lol had enough here yesterday

Pegasus928
10-07-2009, 03:31 AM
Again - it sounds like you are having an amazing time planning for your wedding.
Thanks for the updates :thumbsup2