PDA

View Full Version : The Scoop on Grad Nights at DLR in May and June

HydroGuy
10-01-2009, 09:55 AM
Updated December, 2013

In year 2011 and before the DLR grad nights were held from midnight to 6AM and caused changes to regular hours, entertainment and Magic Mornings. Starting in 2012 this changed.

Here is a link to the grad night website: http://www.grad-nights.com/gradnightcalifornia.htm

Here is a link to a DIS page on grad nights: http://www.wdwinfo.com/disneyland/Events/grad-nights.html

Here are the dates for 2014:

May 16, 17, 21, 22, 24, 28, 30, 31
June 4, 6, 7, 10, 11, 13, 14, 18, 19

Note that additional dates are often added as the season approaches.

Here were the dates for 2013:

May 9, 10, 11, 15, 16, 17, 18, 22, 23, 24, 29, 30, 31
June 5, 6, 7, 12, 13, 14, 19, 20, 21

Here were the dates for 2012:

May 10, 11, 16, 17, 18, 23, 24, 25, 30, 31
June 1, 6, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 19, 21, 22

1. Each grad gets a 1 day parkhopper ticket good for entry any time that day. Thus grads are mixed in with regular attendees during regular hours.

2. Each year the late night park will alternate. In 2012 it was DL. In 2013 it will be DCA. In 2014 it will be in DCA again.

3. The park will close by 11PM on these nights for regular guests.

4. Grads can stay for the special "party" from 11PM until 3AM

5. There will be a performance of Fantasmic or WOC after 11PM only for the grads

What does this mean for the regular guest?

o Regular guests no longer need to pay attention to early park closures or reduced entertainment or modified Magic Mornings because of grad nights. So many of the past grad night "gotchas" will no longer be an issue.

o Attendance on grad night party days will have a higher number of high school seniors there during the regular hours.

o For years where grad night parties are at DCA there will be extra noise from grads and WOC until 3AM that will mostly impact GCH hotel guests because they are closest. FWIW, most GCH guests in the past have reported - including me - that noise in the GCH rooms from the parks is not a significant issue if you have the windows closed. Light sleepers may be impacted though.

How should I modify my DLR touring if visiting on a grad night?

Grads can show up any time during the day but tend to arrive in the afternoon and evening. Reports vary but grads do contribute to extra crowding but not in any overwhelming manner. Grads are teenagers and like all teenagers they can be loud, use profanity and be especially affectionate with their dates. Some guests say they do not notice grads very much while others have reported experiences with grad significantly impacting their visit. Here are some tips:

o If you have young children who are not accustomed to some of the crude language they might be exposed to, you may want to modify the hours you visit. Arrive extra early that day and then leave early.

o Since crowds will increase a bit later in the day as grads arrive, if you want to stay in the parks that is a good time to arrange for a longer table service dinner and to see shows. So plan for Fantasmic or World of Color on grad nights. This will keep you out of some of the lines that may get longer than normal because of the grads coming in. If you are on a multi-day trip then use your evenings that are not grad nights to go on more rides.

lulubelle
10-01-2009, 10:02 AM
Yet another informative and useful thread from you, Hydroguy.:thumbsup2

Thanks!

JustAKid
10-01-2009, 12:32 PM
^^^ LOVE the Buzz siggy. Totally cute!

Hydroguy Dude (It's my official name for you ever since you called yourself that in a thread. I giggle every time you post. :goodvibes), you're amazing! You know, it's silly, because I know all about Grad Nites having researched it as much as possible for my own trip, and I share said knowledge in individual threads over and over and over....

You would think that I'd've made this thread myself! :sad2:

Thanks! Once again you've saved the day! :worship:

HydroGuy
10-01-2009, 01:34 PM
Hydroguy Dude (It's my official name for you ever since you called yourself that in a thread. I giggle every time you post. :goodvibes)I am glad you found that self-reference rather than the ones where I say that HydroGuy is all wet. :goodvibes

APX
10-01-2009, 01:56 PM
I hate not being able to go to grad night, guess that is what happens when you have a little too much fun at school. -.-

engo
10-19-2009, 12:14 PM
Hydro Guy - Thanks for the info. I'm planning to go there on May 20 and this thread is extremely handy!!

S. S. Columbia
10-21-2009, 06:16 PM
... Typically on Grad Nights the parks close early - DL closes at 9PM and DCA closes at 6PM. With the parks closing earlier it also means that any night time entertainment such as Fantasmic and fireworks will probably not be scheduled. ...

Great thread, HydroGuy!

I have one minor nitpick. :goodvibes

There will likely be fireworks shown at 8:45pm on the following Grad Nights:

• Wednesday, June 16, 2010
• Thursday, June 17, 2010
• Thursday, June 24, 2010

That's based on previous LP calendars (June '08 (http://www.laughingplace.com/Guide-Cal-dlr2-200806.asp) and June '07 (http://www.laughingplace.com/Guide-Cal-dlr2-200706.asp)).

(Note: Please disregard the LP calendar for June '09 (link (http://www.laughingplace.com/Guide-Cal-dlr2-200806.asp)). The Magical fireworks started being shown nightly on Friday, June 12, but the LP calendar doesn't list any fireworks for the entire month of June '09. :confused3)

Hope this helps. :earsboy:

HydroGuy
10-21-2009, 06:47 PM
Great thread, HydroGuy!

I have one minor nitpick. :goodvibes

That's based on previous LP calendars (June '08 (http://www.laughingplace.com/Guide-Cal-dlr2-200806.asp) and June '07 (http://www.laughingplace.com/Guide-Cal-dlr2-200706.asp)).

(Note: Please disregard the LP calendar for June '09 (link (http://www.laughingplace.com/Guide-Cal-dlr2-200806.asp)). The Magical fireworks started being shown nightly on Friday, June 12, but the LP calendar doesn't list any fireworks for the entire month of June '09. :confused3)

Hope this helps. :earsboy:Thanks SSC for the extra info.

HydroGuy
10-22-2009, 11:47 AM

For those who do not pay as close attention as SSC and I ;) please note that fireworks at 8:45pm is unusual. For most of the year fireworks have been held at 9:25pm for the last few years. That fits with many things including two Fantasmic shows (and occasionally three) in high season at 9:00 and 10:30PM. The latest sunsets of the year are in late June and so 8:45 is probably pushing it for darkness. In any case when DL closes at 9PM for grad nights and DL wants to offer fireworsk then 8:45 allows them to do it, get the park cleared out, and get ready for the teens coming in at midnight.

I feel sorry for the cleanup crew on such nights - and the next morning when the teens leave at 6AM and they try to get ready to open the parks by 8 or 9AM. :scared1:

JustAKid
10-22-2009, 01:06 PM
For those who do not pay as close attention as SSC and I ;) please note that fireworks at 8:45pm is unusual. For most of the year fireworks have been held at 9:25pm for the last few years. That fits with many things including two Fantasmic shows (and occasionally three) in high season at 9:00 and 10:30PM. The latest sunsets of the year are in late June and so 8:45 is probably pushing it for darkness. In any case when DL closes at 9PM for grad nights and DL wants to offer fireworsk then 8:45 allows them to do it, get the park cleared out, and get ready for the teens coming in at midnight.

I feel sorry for the cleanup crew on such nights - and the next morning when the teens leave at 6AM and they try to get ready to open the parks by 8 or 9AM. :scared1:

SERIOUSLY!!! That's a lot of extra money going into keeping the parks open, what I'm sure the CM feel like, is 24 hours. CRAZY! I will say, though, that I am excited about the earlier fireworks. I know it's only a 40 minute difference, but my kids would NEVER last for the 9:25 show. Now everyone will be able to see them (forget the kids :rotfl:, *I'LL* be able to see them!!! Every other day I'll be back at the hotel).

VallCopen
01-15-2010, 01:58 AM
Hydroguy and anyone else wanting to put their 2 cents in - does grad night really not affect the parks? We just booked June 16th,17th,18th,19th and 20th and I was bummed to see your post which shows the 16th and 17th as a Grad night.:eek: We really want to go and if it isn't any busier than we will but I am wondering if we would be better to book the following week with only 1 grad night? Any suggestions? :confused3 Thanks.

DLR29
01-15-2010, 08:41 AM
Hydroguy and anyone else wanting to put their 2 cents in - does grad night really not affect the parks? We just booked June 16th,17th,18th,19th and 20th and I was bummed to see your post which shows the 16th and 17th as a Grad night.:eek: We really want to go and if it isn't any busier than we will but I am wondering if we would be better to book the following week with only 1 grad night? Any suggestions? :confused3 Thanks.

Everything in the OP is still correct. Grad nights still do not affect crowd levels during the day. The students do not arrive until after the parks have closed. Grad nights will change park hours though and possible MM days.

Disney Dreams
01-15-2010, 01:20 PM

A Grad Night is merely a special event after the Park closes to regular guests. The only thing it affects is park hours. If there was a corporate event after theh Park closed, you would not even know about it. Samme with Grad Nights. They are completely unrelated to the normal day at DLR, except for the hours.

- Dreams

Mrs. Toaster
01-16-2010, 04:35 PM
Hydroguy- I just had to give a shout out to a fellow Grad Nighter! You have me beat though. I was 1987. Our busload of Grads drove down from Northern CA, did Disney and then drove back. It was quite a trip and an absolute blast!

HydroGuy
01-19-2010, 10:04 AM
Hydroguy- I just had to give a shout out to a fellow Grad Nighter! You have me beat though. I was 1987. Our busload of Grads drove down from Northern CA, did Disney and then drove back. It was quite a trip and an absolute blast!:goodvibes

tkitty
02-12-2010, 11:20 PM
I did Grad night 1976 and 1973 (jr hi)! My favorite part of graduation.:goodvibes
But I'm glad that I'll miss it on our May trip this year...

Timchat2
03-01-2010, 10:11 PM
During the regular operating hours before a Grad Nite, are there any temporary stages, lighting, speakers, etc. set up around the park? Or, kind of like the hard-ticket after-hours events at WDW's Magic Kingdom, is there a lack of any evidence that a Grad Nite is even going on that evening at all other than the earlier closing time?

HydroGuy
03-02-2010, 08:21 AM
During the regular operating hours before a Grad Nite, are there any temporary stages, lighting, speakers, etc. set up around the park? Or, kind of like the hard-ticket after-hours events at WDW's Magic Kingdom, is there a lack of any evidence that a Grad Nite is even going on that evening at all other than the earlier closing time?I do not know the answer. I have never been to DLR during regular hours of grad night and when I did the actual grad night it was a long time ago...:scared1:

I do remember there was lots of music for grad night - Kool and the Gang was there and sang "Celebration" - and thus Disney needs stages for music. However, the days before and after the grad night will be normal operation for shows, etc. So if they were to make changes to support grad night it would have to be things easily moved or removed.

I strongly suspect you would not see much or any evidence of the grad night. Hopefully others who have gone during regular hours in recent years can help here. :)

liesel
03-02-2010, 10:56 AM
During the regular operating hours before a Grad Nite, are there any temporary stages, lighting, speakers, etc. set up around the park? Or, kind of like the hard-ticket after-hours events at WDW's Magic Kingdom, is there a lack of any evidence that a Grad Nite is even going on that evening at all other than the earlier closing time?

We were there June 10 2009 (a wed) during regular park hours and did not see any grad nite evidence other than people lining up outside the gates when we departed at 9:30 PM. We boarded the train at main street a little after 9 for the last round trip around the park, which was nice to see the park so quiet. It was a fun way to end the day. DCA closed at 6PM, but they were not as forceful about making people leave immediately as DL. I recommend going on a grad nite because less locals come in after work and many others are put off going due to the shorter park hours and you can get a nice full day in from 8AM to 9PM. Just go to DCA before it closes and end your day at DL.

TeamTnC
03-29-2010, 03:18 PM
Hello Hydro Guy. Not sure if you will remember me or not, but I meet you as you were entering the park with your kids back in 2005. We were waiting in line for MM. Anyways, thank you for all your input on these boards. You have become quite an expert so to speak, LOL. We went back to DL in 8/07 and are planning a trip now 6/12-6/17. This is the first time we are staying at HOJO's, DL facing room.

Anyways, here is my questions since two of these Grad nights will directly affect us. This is the first time we are going in June, is the park not open to midnight until later June typically? Now that the kids are older we should be able to stay later and Wed. is our last day in the park. But, now I see it is a grad night which means an earlier closing time. We arrive on Saturday the 12th, so maybe we should start our three days in the park on Sunday and not go on Wednesday then instead. We fly home on Thursday so no big deal there. How would you do it?

Tom

HydroGuy
03-29-2010, 04:29 PM
Hello Hydro Guy. Not sure if you will remember me or not, but I meet you as you were entering the park with your kids back in 2005. We were waiting in line for MM. Anyways, thank you for all your input on these boards. You have become quite an expert so to speak, LOL. We went back to DL in 8/07 and are planning a trip now 6/12-6/17. This is the first time we are staying at HOJO's, DL facing room.

Anyways, here is my questions since two of these Grad nights will directly affect us. This is the first time we are going in June, is the park not open to midnight until later June typically? Now that the kids are older we should be able to stay later and Wed. is our last day in the park. But, now I see it is a grad night which means an earlier closing time. We arrive on Saturday the 12th, so maybe we should start our three days in the park on Sunday and not go on Wednesday then instead. We fly home on Thursday so no big deal there. How would you do it?

TomI remember! Chicago wasn't it?

Usually DL transitions to full midnight hours sometime around June 15 or 20.

In case you have not seen it, I suggest you read this thread: "Understanding AP Blockouts and Impact on Crowds" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2365983 (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2365983). You will have some major, major crowds on June 13-15 because World of Color will likely be open (some say the debut will be June 11) and those days are not blocked for APs. June 11 is also the start of Summer Nightastic. June 16 is blocked but a grad night. Sat June 12 is blocked too and crowds will be less on the 12th and 16th.

Frankly I do not know what I would do. Would it better to have a full day at DLR on a day that is not blocked (like Sunday) or Wednesday partial day with grad nights but have APs blocked? I think I would lean slightly to going on June 14-16 and do the grad night day where crowds will be lower.

Is there a reason you cannot do all four days? The ticket prices are now buy 3 days get 5.

HTH :wizard:

TeamTnC
03-29-2010, 06:09 PM
I remember! Chicago wasn't it?

Usually DL transitions to full midnight hours sometime around June 15 or 20.

In case you have not seen it, I suggest you read this thread: "Understanding AP Blockouts and Impact on Crowds" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2365983 (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2365983). You will have some major, major crowds on June 13-15 because World of Color will likely be open (some say the debut will be June 11) and those days are not blocked for APs. June 11 is also the start of Summer Nightastic. June 16 is blocked but a grad night. Sat June 12 is blocked too and crowds will be less on the 12th and 16th.

Frankly I do not know what I would do. Would it better to have a full day at DLR on a day that is not blocked (like Sunday) or Wednesday partial day with grad nights but have APs blocked? I think I would lean slightly to going on June 14-16 and do the grad night day where crowds will be lower.

Is there a reason you cannot do all four days? The ticket prices are now buy 3 days get 5.

HTH :wizard:

Great memory, Chicago is correct. I laugh because in 2007 I missed you by a couple of weeks and it looks like I am going to miss you again this summer, LOL. I just booked our trip over the weekend and now starting my research again. This site in incredible and you can find out just about anything. I was glad to see you are still on here.

Three years ago, I used your guide on what order to ride rides on early entry day and what a difference that makes. We basically walked on everything. In fact we even rode some two or three times without even having to get off. I will use that plan again this year.

The buy three get 5 days is not valid the days we are there from what I can tell. I thought they ended soon. If that is the case, then yes for sure we can go 4 days then and will.

WOC, I hope it does open when we are there, it will be nice to see something new. This will also be the kids first time on SM and Screamin. They are FINALLY old enough, LOL

Any advice on HOJO? First time booking it. I booked a Disney Facing room, but should I call and ask for anything else, ie a certain floor, no tree etc?

On a side note, my kids still ask me about who was that guy I was talking to on our first trip there. My son was old enough to remember and he still asks, LOL. Does you family still wear matching shirts on your first day? Do your kids still enjoy it as much?

Thanks for the help!!!

HydroGuy
03-29-2010, 10:05 PM
Great memory, Chicago is correct. I laugh because in 2007 I missed you by a couple of weeks and it looks like I am going to miss you again this summer, LOL. I just booked our trip over the weekend and now starting my research again. This site in incredible and you can find out just about anything. I was glad to see you are still on here.

Three years ago, I used your guide on what order to ride rides on early entry day and what a difference that makes. We basically walked on everything. In fact we even rode some two or three times without even having to get off. I will use that plan again this year.

The buy three get 5 days is not valid the days we are there from what I can tell. I thought they ended soon. If that is the case, then yes for sure we can go 4 days then and will.

WOC, I hope it does open when we are there, it will be nice to see something new. This will also be the kids first time on SM and Screamin. They are FINALLY old enough, LOL

Any advice on HOJO? First time booking it. I booked a Disney Facing room, but should I call and ask for anything else, ie a certain floor, no tree etc?

On a side note, my kids still ask me about who was that guy I was talking to on our first trip there. My son was old enough to remember and he still asks, LOL. Does you family still wear matching shirts on your first day? Do your kids still enjoy it as much?

Thanks for the help!!!The boys are way too old for matching shirts now. :) The 5 days for the price of 3 was extended until Sept. Double-check the Disney website. No HoJos advice from me. It has a good rep. We found the walk a little far but the pool really nice when we stayed in 2003. Others here have been more recently and can give you good advice. :wizard:

HydroGuy
05-03-2010, 12:26 PM
Mispost - consider it a bump! ;)

ishbit92
05-17-2010, 05:07 AM
I'm a recently graduated senior and I'll be in DL during at least one (maybe two) of the dates of the Grad Night...is there any chance they'd let me in even though I'm not from a California High School (I'm from Alaska, :))? It sounds like soooo much fun!

Albort
05-17-2010, 05:34 AM
The only difference between last year is where they park now... Not sure how they will be doing it this year.

HydroGuy
05-17-2010, 07:01 AM
I'm a recently graduated senior and I'll be in DL during at least one (maybe two) of the dates of the Grad Night...is there any chance they'd let me in even though I'm not from a California High School (I'm from Alaska, :))? It sounds like soooo much fun!I have never heard of that. DLR has it setup to keep control of the process and all attendees must arrive by bus. And I would guess the school must be registered in some way. DLR cannot just have a bunch of buses show up and possibly be overcrowded and have to turn away buses.

Timchat2
05-24-2010, 01:52 AM
With the tight turnaround between the end of the Grad Night and the park opening in the morning, does the park fully "recover" from the events of the night before? Is park upkeep affected for the day guests because of the small window for crews to do their work, or do most guests even notice that the park had been open just hours prior to their arrival that morning?

HydroGuy
05-24-2010, 06:48 AM
With the tight turnaround between the end of the Grad Night and the park opening in the morning, does the park fully "recover" from the events of the night before? Is park upkeep affected for the day guests because of the small window for crews to do their work, or do most guests even notice that the park had been open just hours prior to their arrival that morning?Yes it fully recovers, but I suspect that the night time work they usually do is limited. They can sweep up and wipe up, but no time for gardening work.

tink929
05-24-2010, 04:17 PM
We were in the park last Thursday which was a Grad Night. They did start setting up some staging, lighting, and walking through with the K9 unit before the park actually closed, but it didn't affect much. It was later in the evening. The only big thing was that all the shops "hard closed" at park closing - no late-night shopping that night (well, if after 9pm is "late night").

cwbronco
05-24-2010, 10:41 PM
We will be there for the 15th- through the 20th so it looks like we will experience two grad nights. During our six days there we will be spending one day at sea world which I was planning on being that Friday since I figured Friday would be packed at DL. Would it be more efficent to move Sea World to one of the Grad nights since the DL will be closing early that day anyways?

momstable
06-05-2010, 08:55 PM
I will be there on June 16th & 17th as well, with a friend, her DD-7 and my DS-12. :dance3: We will be on the 5 day for 3 passes.

We are starting on Sunday and Thursday will be our last day. We figure with 5 days to see everything, even with crowds, we should be good. We did get priority seating dinner reservations for World of Color, just to be on the safe side :)

Piglet99645
03-20-2011, 11:05 PM
Thanks for this very helpful thread.

I'm wondering if any of you have specific suggestions (in light of grad nights) as to how to break up our four day trip of Thurs-Sun June 9-12.

I have been expecting our first day to be a Magic Morning day, but with grad night the night before, now apparently it won't be.

We are going to be three adults and three kids (ages 10, 5 and 2 so possibly TWO strollers, god help me). I'm tentatively planning 2.5 days at DL and 1.5 days at DCA. I'm not sure how to break it up.

I have my Ridemax subscription and have been playing with it, but of course our dates aren't available yet.

All suggestions welcome. Hydroguy I hope you are having fun at WDW!!

Piglet

Piglet99645
03-21-2011, 12:59 PM
doh! This thread is a year old..... I'll repost as a new question.

I swore I looked at the date 3 times.

HydroGuy
03-21-2011, 09:16 PM
doh! This thread is a year old..... I'll repost as a new question.

I swore I looked at the date 3 times.The OP is accurate even though the thread is a year old.

oumagic
05-16-2011, 12:02 PM
Thanks for updating the Original Post with the 2011 dates. I am a little fuzzy as to if they do fireworks on grad nights. We will get to the hotel @ 7pm this week on a grad night (5/19) and the park closes at 8PM. I was wondering if they shoot fireworks during the grad night private event and if anyone knows what time it would be if they did. The hotel we are staying at is supposed to have a pretty good view from the pool and the pool is open 24 hours.

HydroGuy
05-16-2011, 05:45 PM
Thanks for updating the Original Post with the 2011 dates. I am a little fuzzy as to if they do fireworks on grad nights. We will get to the hotel @ 7pm this week on a grad night (5/19) and the park closes at 8PM. I was wondering if they shoot fireworks during the grad night private event and if anyone knows what time it would be if they did. The hotel we are staying at is supposed to have a pretty good view from the pool and the pool is open 24 hours.The 2011 dates have been in the OP since last October FWIW.

I can't remember when the fireworks happen but I believe it is at the start of the night. As the OP says they do shoot fireworks.

HydroGuy
08-08-2011, 11:41 AM
I am copying the old OP here for future reference. The OP has changed and the quoted text which follows is not applicable in 2012 or thereafter.

And for good measure this will serve as a bump to the thread. Anyone interested in the new grad night format or what I think it means for guests should read the OP.

I am a 1981 Grad Night Alumni :cool2: and see lots of questions on DIS about Grad Nights. So I decided to create a thread where people can get information and understand how it might impact their May or June trip to DLR.

What are Grad Nights?

Grad Nights are special events held at DLR for graduating high school seniors and their dates held during times when DLR is normally closed. They are typically held from midnight until 6AM and thus do not interfere with regular DLR day visitors. In recent years both DL and DCA parks have been open to attendees.

Where can I find official Grad Night information?

Official information regarding dates, dress code, entertainment, etc., is given here:

http://www.grad-nights.com/gradnightcalifornia.htm

When are Grad Nights?

Grad Nights at DLR are held from mid-May until mid to late-June. Check the above link for Grad Night schedules.

For example, the dates for 2012 are:

May 11, 17, 18, 24, 25, 31
June 1, 6, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 19, 20, 21, 22

NOTE: The above dates were shown in August, 2011 and do not make sense. Grad nights on Friday nights have never happened to my knowledge. Check back later for updates.

The dates for 2011 were:

May 12, 19 and 26
June 2, 8, 9, and 16

The dates for 2010 were:

May 20 and 27
June 3, 10, 16, 17, and 24

How do Grad Nights affect regular visitors?

The events are chaperoned and thus attendees are not allowed to freely roam the area around DLR. The attendees are only allowed to come in on buses (no individual drivers) and are guided into the parks and are not allowed to leave the parks until closing at 6AM. At that point attendees are guided back to their buses. Thus there are no issues with high schoolers being disruptive to guests outside the parks.

Grad Nights do impact park hours for regular visitors. Typically on Grad Nights the parks close early - DL closes at 9PM and DCA closes at 6PM. With the parks closing earlier it also means that it is uncertain any night time entertainment such as Fantasmic and fireworks will be scheduled. In 2009 DL did offer nighttime entertainment a few times on grad nights. In 2010 they expanded this and moved fireworks and Fantasmic to earlier showings. In general be aware that if you plan trips on days with grad nights it is less certain what entertainment may be offered.

Grad Nights also impact Magic Mornings (MM) at DL. If there is a Grad Night the previous night (with DL open until 6AM) then MM will not be held.

Sometimes MM are moved after grad nights. On the one Wednesday grad night in 2010 on June 16, the normal June 17 MM was moved to Wednesday June 16. Same thing in 2011 for the June 8 grad night.

Typically Grad Nights do have fireworks so if you are staying near the parks you may hear them and have some potential sleep disruption.

DisneyisaBLAST
01-30-2012, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the update, HydroGuy. I'm stressing because the day I was planning on going to DCA is June 12th and with the kids having park hoppers for day use this year, I'm concerned they'll increase attendance levels past historical crowd level predictions.

If Disney definitely isn't closing the parks early and you don't think the teens will arrive until the afternoon, I guess it shouldn't be TOO much of a problem. :-/

It will be our first time to Disneyland and we have 2.5 days to enjoy it - so I'm trying to make the most of it! Here's hoping grad nights isn't a disaster and Radiator Springs Racers is open in time for our trip (pretty please)! What are the odds?

sweetlovin'
01-31-2012, 07:38 AM
Updated January 18, 2012

In year 2011 and before the DLR grad nights were held from midnight to 6AM and caused changes to regular hours, entertainment and Magic Mornings. Starting in 2012 this will no longer be the case.

Here is a link to the grad night website: http://www.grad-nights.com/gradnightcalifornia.htm

Here are the dates for 2012:

May 10, 11, 16, 17, 18, 23, 24, 25, 30, 31
June 1, 6, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 19, 21, 22

I called their 800 number today and "Sue" told me the following:

1. Each grad will get a 1 day parkhopper ticket good for entry any time that day. Thus grads will be mixed in with regular attendees during regular hours.

2. DL will close by 11PM on these nights for regular guests.

3. Grads can stay for the special "party" from 11PM until 3AM

4. There will be a performance of Fantasmic after 11PM only for the grads

5. Only DL park will be open after 11PM

6. In 2013 the same will happen, but only DCA will be open after 11PM and WOC will show

7. The special grad party will alternate between DL and DCA each year

What does this mean for the regular guest? No one knows for sure yet but here is my educated guess:

o Regular guests no longer need to pay attention to early park closures or reduced entertainment or modifed Magic Mornings because of grad nights. So many of the past grad night "gotchas" will no longer be an issue.

o Attendance on grad night party days will have a higher number of high school seniors there during the regular hours.

o I suspect DLR will stagger the grad night attendees with SoCal blockout days. A quick glance at the 2012 grad night schedule and my memory of blockouts this past June, there seems to be staggering to some degree - especially in June.

o For years where grad night parties are at DCA there will be extra noise from grads and WOC untul 3AM that will mostly impact GCH hotel guests because they are closest. FWIW, most GCH guests in the past have reported - including me - that noise in the GCH rooms from the parks is not a significant issue if you have the windows closed. Light sleepers may be impacted though.

Thank you so much. I was told that the park would close early in May (like 6pm or 7pm) for the grads. Being from the East Coast, 11pm PST is really late for me. So, I would have left the park by that point anyway. That is excellent news.

When the May schedule comes out, will it reflect the new show times for the grad nights? Or is it annouced only at the park that day?

Again, thank you for all your help.

HydroGuy
01-31-2012, 01:44 PM
Thank you so much. I was told that the park would close early in May (like 6pm or 7pm) for the grads. Being from the East Coast, 11pm PST is really late for me. So, I would have left the park by that point anyway. That is excellent news.

When the May schedule comes out, will it reflect the new show times for the grad nights? Or is it annouced only at the park that day?

Again, thank you for all your help.We probably will not know the park hours and entertainment for May until late March or maybe early April.

3Minnies1Mickey
01-31-2012, 02:18 PM

It will be announced ahead of time. Hours are typically 6 weeks out, entertainment often doesn't fill in until 4 week out.

Mommy26
03-06-2012, 01:40 PM
The second best time of day for rides is an hour or two before closing.

Is grad night going to change that?

HydroGuy
03-06-2012, 09:12 PM
The second best time of day for rides is an hour or two before closing.

Is grad night going to change that?Probably.

My educated guess is that days with grad nights will be better to focus hard on rides in the morning. Then those would be the best evenings to see shows like WOC, F! and fireworks. Use your late night rides on nights which are not grad nights.

tinkermell
03-06-2012, 09:30 PM
My DD is doing Grad Nite this year on May 10th-11th. I think my DH and I might be chaperones. :faint:

No really...looking forward to a wonderful time with the kids. Geesh...I'm a kid when it comes to DL! :laughing:

BTW- I went to Grad Nite in 1974. Had a blast also. I sincerely hope that Disney keeps this tradition for many years to come. :goodvibes

yoyo93
03-21-2012, 09:58 PM
Hey I have a really quick question regarding the grad night.
Are these kids allowed to leave the parks to go to Downtown Disney? I can not for the life of me find any answers for this. I just want to know because on the last day of my trip down there it's a grad night and we wanted to have dinner in Downtown Disney. We just want know if it's going to be busy. :)

HydroGuy
03-21-2012, 10:00 PM
Hey I have a really quick question regarding the grad night.
Are these kids allowed to leave the parks to go to Downtown Disney? I can not for the life of me find any answers for this. I just want to know because on the last day of my trip down there it's a grad night and we wanted to have dinner in Downtown Disney. We just want know if it's going to be busy. :)With the new format, it would seem yes.

yoyo93
03-21-2012, 10:01 PM
With the new format, it would seem yes.

Dang it. Oh well, we made reservations so there should be no worries. Thank you so much for answering! :)

Rhonna
03-22-2012, 11:31 AM
So we were going to leave DL on Thursday, May 10th since the first grad night is that night and the grads can be in the parks all day.

We called to see what it would cost to add that Thursday night to our reservation and in the process asked if the grads being in the parks affects the crowds that day. (It also is mother's day weekend but that's on Sunday.)

The CM at reservations said it was a "hard ticket" event and there wouldn't be any grads in the parks until the event began. My sister believes them since they are supposed to be "official" and I have to say, "No, 10 CM's will give you 10 different answers".

Where is the "rolling eyes" emoticon?

Now we don't know whether to add that Thursday and leave Friday - since it would give us one more day and since Thursday was traditionally a slower day.

Any thoughts? We aren't sure whether to do this or not.

kelmac284
03-22-2012, 11:38 AM
I also have a question about DCA hours. We are ONLY going to be there for 2 days on our summer trip. One day for DCA and one day for DL. Are there reduced hours for DCA on the 19th?? It would be nice to know which park to go to on which day. I believe Tuesday is a MM so I am thinking it would be better for us to DL that day since we can go early and also if it stays open till 11 chances are we won't stay even close to that long so then on Wed we should in theory have the whole normal hours at DCA correct??

And I am really hoping they do something with carsland ie open the park earlier or carsland early for hotel guests or something. That would really help. Guess we will have to wait and see. :)

skiingfast
03-23-2012, 12:00 AM
Are there reduced hours for DCA on the 19th??

The Private Parties are starting at 11pm in Disneyland Park. While it's possible DCA will get expanded hours to accomodate regular guests by that time it may not matter. When Carsland opens DCA may start a new schedule with long hours anyway.

EmmersIsTheMommy
03-23-2012, 11:22 AM
So we were going to leave DL on Thursday, May 10th since the first grad night is that night and the grads can be in the parks all day.

We called to see what it would cost to add that Thursday night to our reservation and in the process asked if the grads being in the parks affects the crowds that day. (It also is mother's day weekend but that's on Sunday.)

The CM at reservations said it was a "hard ticket" event and there wouldn't be any grads in the parks until the event began. My sister believes them since they are supposed to be "official" and I have to say, "No, 10 CM's will give you 10 different answers".

Where is the "rolling eyes" emoticon?

Now we don't know whether to add that Thursday and leave Friday - since it would give us one more day and since Thursday was traditionally a slower day.

Any thoughts? We aren't sure whether to do this or not.

I'd add it. There are three grad nights the 5 days we were gonna go.. There will be a greater number of teens in the park but my friend pointed out that it's a school deal so not everyone will be coming for the whole day. Depends on the school? You also have to realize that the tickets for this aren't cheap and are limited in number. I think it'd be ok to add the Thurs :)

EmmersIsTheMommy
03-23-2012, 11:26 AM
Here's my question. We have 6 days to choose from for our 5 days in the park... June 3-8.

Would the crowds be worse for grad night or for unblocked AP's?? It's the one thing I can't decide about our trip..

Misskitty3
04-07-2012, 01:37 AM
Looks like we will have 2 out of our 3 will be Grad nights!

mmmears
04-09-2012, 07:39 PM
I can't say I'm excited at the prospect of grad night teens in the park all day. Last time we were at DL, it closed early for the grads. So I guess we will have to wait and see how much this new format impacts the rest of us... Thanks for the update. :)

ConnieB
04-25-2012, 09:31 AM
With the new format, it would seem yes.

Actually, according to the Chaperone handbook we received, the kids will have hopping priviledges during the day (the same as the general public) ....but come 11pm, they have one hour to get inside DL before it is locked down. Gaining entrance after midnight requires a chaperone. Leaving after you have entered (be that 11 or after) requires a chaperone to sign an early release form and to escort you back to your bus or to your parents if they are picking you up. There is no re-entry after you have been "early released".

So....from 11pm to midnight I guess the kids could wander DTD, but the special F! show is at 11:30 and the dance party starts at 11 so I'd venture to guess that MOST of the kids are there for the special party and will want to be inside DL from fairly close to start to finish.

If anyone has any high schoolers (ages 14 to 20) that are interested in attending Grad Nite, our group is going June 21 and June 22. We have a thread started (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=44690263#post44690263) or you can PM me for more details.

megswdw
04-25-2012, 11:06 PM
Any idea what time the grad night fireworks will be showing? We are in a theme park view at DLH. Being wdw natives, we had no ideas that fireworks weren't shown every night. Unfortunately, we are there Monday - thursday morning. I'm hoping we can catch the grad night fireworks from our room if they aren't too late!

skiingfast
04-26-2012, 12:06 AM
Any idea what time the grad night fireworks will be showing?

This is no longer a part of Grad Nite Parties.

Misskitty3
04-26-2012, 12:25 PM
Just curious....are most of the schools that participate in Grad Night from So Cal?

When I graduated from HS (um....several years ago:rolleyes1) our grad night party was held after the actual graduation ceremony. And the ceremony was held around 6pm or 7pm. After the graduation, the kids were bussed to a secret location for the actual party and then bussed back to school around 7am the next morning.

If the So Cal schools follow the same plan, there wont be many Grads in the park until later in the evening. I know there are several folks here that participated in Grad Nights (way back when) so just wondering how it works. ;)

megswdw
04-26-2012, 12:47 PM

On the Grad Night facebook page, they are taking suggestions for music for the grad night explosion fireworks.

Casey's Mommie
04-26-2012, 12:55 PM
Just curious....are most of the schools that participate in Grad Night from So Cal?

I did Disneyland Grad Night and I'm from Northern California (Bay Area). We left in the morning, drove all day and got there around 6 maybe? We checked into a hotel to change into our "formal clothes" and then went into the park from approx 10 pm to 5 am and left on the bus for home the next morning.

Granted, this was back in '95 and Grad nights were not as popular. My friends and I had Fantasyland all to ourselves!!!

skiingfast
04-26-2012, 01:19 PM

I've read dozens of posts about school's agendas. Most are from SoCal, coincidently that is where most people live. Regardless when the schools arrive is very mixed. Some will leave thier schools the day before, some in the morning and some in the afternoon or evening. It's pretty well distributed until the end of May.

Late in May and into June there is a small trend to increasing earlier arrivals. Some because of school being out for Summer or because of early finals.

On the Grad Night facebook page, they are taking suggestions for music for the grad night explosion fireworks.

I saw that they decided to bring this feature back, thank you. If I come across a time I will post it.

Boiseboone
04-26-2012, 02:35 PM
Forgive me, I'm sure this should be obvious to me but I'm easily confused. ;)

We're at the park June 3-8. Do the grad nights on June 6,7,8 mean that we'll have to leave DL by 11 p.m. those nights? We have a babysitter scheduled for Thursday June 7 so my DH and I can go on the big kid rides. I'm wondering if we'll have time to ride everything we want to ride if we have to leave by 11 p.m.? If we're lucky we'll get to CA by 8:30, and I was counting on staying there until 10 p and then DL until midnight. :confused3

Thanks!

skiingfast
04-26-2012, 02:41 PM
We're at the park June 3-8. Do the grad nights on June 6,7,8 mean that we'll have to leave DL by 11 p.m. those nights?

That is correct. At 11pm only the Grads will be allowed to stay in DL.

ConnieB
04-26-2012, 07:11 PM

Actually there will be a special fireworks show....this is what the paperwork we have says:

A private showing of Fantasmic! just for you Grads, Grad Nite Explosion! fireworks show, hottest dance clubs, world-class attractions, meet & greet Disney Characters, exclusive Grad Nite merchandise, Disney’s PhotoPass® Service, and much more!

None of the paperwork says what time the fireworks start....it does say the special Fantasmic! is at 11:30pm....so it would make sense that the fireworks would be shortly after that, but that's just my guess on the timing.

skiingfast
04-26-2012, 07:22 PM
Actually there will be a special fireworks show....this is what the paperwork we have says:

I know, and you failed to read my previous post.

ConnieB
04-27-2012, 08:40 AM
I know, and you failed to read my previous post.

Your correction was AFTER the post with the incorrect information...like most people I read the posts in order and respond. Sorry if that irked you.

Lazyturbo
03-12-2013, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the updated 2013 info HydroGuy.

I'm planning to go to California Adventure in early June. In terms of avoiding the crowds, could someone tell me whether its better to go on a 'grad night' day or a weekend?

Avery's mom
03-19-2013, 03:11 PM
It seems that the Grad Nite page differs on dates. The official page says May 15, 16, 17 and 18. Of course, during my stay:(

I imagine that days may be busier since the changes took place this year. Once hours come out for May, I will have a better idea on how to plan. Thanks for the update, Hydroguy!

HydroGuy
03-19-2013, 09:59 PM
It seems that the Grad Nite page differs on dates. The official page says May 15, 16, 17 and 18. Of course, during my stay:(

I imagine that days may be busier since the changes took place this year. Once hours come out for May, I will have a better idea on how to plan. Thanks for the update, Hydroguy!
The dates in the are for dates still available. And it looks like they added some dates since I updated the thread last - like May 17. Sorry!

:wizard:

DoughR
03-19-2013, 10:41 PM

I was there last year from June 4th to the 7th (Mon-Thurs) and you definitely want to do as much as you can before 5pm on Grad nights. Not only will the crowds be bigger but the kids tend to get rowdier too. Certain attractions will draw grads more than others. Certain instances I encountered at the Hollywood Tower and Space Mountain had the Fastpass line up to 30 minutes and stand-by lines around 3 hours with a lot of line cutting happening. I don't know if it was just a really bad week or what but it forced our party to retire a few hours before park closure on those nights.

yoyo93
03-20-2013, 01:45 AM

We were there for two of the grad nights in May last year, and I have to say that I really didn't notice too much of a difference until after 7 pm! The only reason the parks were even busy was because there was a HUGE high school/middle school music competition going on and they were all over the parks. I'm really hoping they wont be there this year!

PoohsFan1
03-20-2013, 09:55 AM
We will be there in early June (of course during Grad Nights) and I am a little nervous about it. We are WDW Vets who avoid going during events like these. I was wondering when it comes to EMH days, (we are staying at VGC) does Disney change the EMH days for the different parks during this time to accommodate the crowds, or is it pretty much the same like during the rest of the year. I am trying to figure out our park days and with the June calendar not up yet, it is just a guessing game right now.

californiamomof4grls
03-20-2013, 10:46 AM
Okay so when we say crowds do we mean it's like Spring break from 5pm to midnight on these days or is it more like there's a lot of teenagers around. Which annoy some people because well there *gasp* teens? I've read a few threads and I'm not sure what they hype is about? I hear some people say you hardly even know they are there. Some people say there was annoying interactions with some the teens... But I want to know about crowds. The teen thing doesn't bother me. I would think it would be centered around areas and then aren't they going to go to DCA at some point for there party and wont DL still be open?

HydroGuy
03-20-2013, 11:14 AM
We will be there in early June (of course during Grad Nights) and I am a little nervous about it. We are WDW Vets who avoid going during events like these. I was wondering when it comes to EMH days, (we are staying at VGC) does Disney change the EMH days for the different parks during this time to accommodate the crowds, or is it pretty much the same like during the rest of the year. I am trying to figure out our park days and with the June calendar not up yet, it is just a guessing game right now.Based on last year there was no impact on EMH or MM because of grad nights. The grad nights finish by 3AM and Disney is able to turn things around and get EMH or MM going by 7AM.

starshine514
03-21-2013, 09:28 AM
Okay so when we say crowds do we mean it's like Spring break from 5pm to midnight on these days or is it more like there's a lot of teenagers around. Which annoy some people because well there *gasp* teens? I've read a few threads and I'm not sure what they hype is about? I hear some people say you hardly even know they are there. Some people say there was annoying interactions with some the teens... But I want to know about crowds. The teen thing doesn't bother me. I would think it would be centered around areas and then aren't they going to go to DCA at some point for there party and wont DL still be open?

We found it to become mid-day weekend crowded with line-jumping, foul-mouthed teens from about 5:00 to close (we noticed increased crowds and more teenagers starting at about 2:00). Crowds just got worse as the night wore on; they didn't follow their typical dwindling pattern. Last year, we were there in May, Carsland hadn't opened yet, the after-hours party was at DL, and it was a weekday. So, DCA closed at 10:00, and DL was open until 11:00. Depending on the day, I could see DL being open after the teens go to DCA.

Mabel67
03-21-2013, 11:50 AM
We found it to become mid-day weekend crowded with line-jumping, foul-mouthed teens from about 5:00 to close (we noticed increased crowds and more teenagers starting at about 2:00). Crowds just got worse as the night wore on; they didn't follow their typical dwindling pattern. Last year, we were there in May, Carsland hadn't opened yet, the after-hours party was at DL, and it was a weekday. So, DCA closed at 10:00, and DL was open until 11:00. Depending on the day, I could see DL being open after the teens go to DCA.

Taking someone for her first ever visit - I sure hope this doesn't ruin it for her. But I believe that Grad night is confined to one park correct? So does this impact the other park at all, beyond some run-off guest numbers avoiding the Gradnight park?

So, if it's confined to DCA, if we complete our day there prior to mid-afternoon and then escape over to DL we should be ok?

starshine514
03-21-2013, 12:10 PM
Taking someone for her first ever visit - I sure hope this doesn't ruin it for her. But I believe that Grad night is confined to one park correct? So does this impact the other park at all, beyond some run-off guest numbers avoiding the Gradnight park?

So, if it's confined to DCA, if we complete our day there prior to mid-afternoon and then escape over to DL we should be ok?

The grads have park-hopper tickets included with their grad night admission. I would say that a lot of them will spend the time until close to 10:00 in DL, simply because they won't have access to that during their grad night celebration. We're going earlier this year (late April) and avoiding grad nights, but if I were there on one of those days, I would simply plan on lots of crowds in the evening. Plan on having a sit-down dinner, possibly in DTD (we would plan on RFC or having dinner offsite with some local friends), doing some shopping, taking photos and doing some of the attractions that rarely have long lines - Animation Building and Bug's Land in DCA, Winnie the Pooh, Snow White, and Pinnochio in DL. Or, showing up early and catching Fantasmic! or WOC - the sort of things that having large crowds would not hinder your enjoyment of.

How many evenings will you have and how many of them are grad nights?

Mabel67
03-21-2013, 12:19 PM
Grad nights are 4 of the 5 nights we are there. A Wednesday to Sunday, May 15-20

Anybody those nights "less" busy than the others? We already have alternative plans for the Saturday so really it's only Wednesday, Thursday and Friday that would be the concern.

starshine514
03-21-2013, 01:22 PM
Grad nights are 4 of the 5 nights we are there. A Wednesday to Sunday, May 15-20

Anybody those nights "less" busy than the others? We already have alternative plans for the Saturday so really it's only Wednesday, Thursday and Friday that would be the concern.

Wednesday and Thursday evenings should have lower overall crowds, because there will be fewer regular guests in the parks on those days. You could plan on catching F! on Friday and WOC on Thursday if you find the crowds problematic on Wednesday night.

Mabel67
03-21-2013, 01:53 PM
Thanks Starshine! We will definitely be doing that. 👍

PoohsFan1
03-21-2013, 02:02 PM
Wednesday and Thursday evenings should have lower overall crowds, because there will be fewer regular guests in the parks on those days. You could plan on catching F! on Friday and WOC on Thursday if you find the crowds problematic on Wednesday night.

This is very encouraging...thank you :goodvibes. I think we are going to do this too.

undertheseas
04-07-2013, 02:31 PM
Ugh we have two grad nights during our stay! I'm anxious to hear what the May DISers have to say about the crowds.

kt-scarlett
04-10-2013, 10:21 AM
Grad Night is taking place two of our three days/nights for our first ever visit to Disneyland this June. I see that the parks do not close early and GN takes place at DCA this year. Would you recommend we visit DCA on the only non-Grad Night? We're seasoned WDW vets and I have to admit planning this visit to DL is overwhelming me. Argh!!!

Thanks for any help and insight you can offer.

Mary

kt-scarlett
04-10-2013, 10:26 AM
One more question: The Disneyland Grad Night website does not list our dates in June (5/6/7) for Grad Night. Does that mean it's sold out and therefore will be hyper busy at the parks as compared to the other GN dates available? Thanks again!

HydroGuy
04-10-2013, 05:41 PM
Grad Night is taking place two of our three days/nights for our first ever visit to Disneyland this June. I see that the parks do not close early and GN takes place at DCA this year. Would you recommend we visit DCA on the only non-Grad Night? We're seasoned WDW vets and I have to admit planning this visit to DL is overwhelming me. Argh!!!

Thanks for any help and insight you can offer.

MaryIf you can work your schedule to be at DCA on the non-grad night that makes sense to me.

Also, if you must be there during a grad night then last year reports were that it got noticeably more crowded at night as the grads arrives. Therefore, it makes sense to plan to do shows (like WOC) when you are in competition with grads and focus on rides mroe during the day before grads arrive.

Good luck!

HydroGuy
04-10-2013, 05:44 PM
One more question: The Disneyland Grad Night website does not list our dates in June (5/6/7) for Grad Night. Does that mean it's sold out and therefore will be hyper busy at the parks as compared to the other GN dates available? Thanks again!
I do believe you are correct those grad nights are sold out as the websites drop the dates as they become sold out. As it gets closer more nights will sell out. Whether one grad night might be more crowded than another, I would not worry about it. I do not think you will be able predict this ahead of time. And I doubt it will be significantly different anyways for one night vs. another.

kt-scarlett
04-10-2013, 06:56 PM
If you can work your schedule to be at DCA on the non-grad night that makes sense to me.

Also, if you must be there during a grad night then last year reports were that it got noticeably more crowded at night as the grads arrives. Therefore, it makes sense to plan to do shows (like WOC) when you are in competition with grads and focus on rides mroe during the day before grads arrive.

Good luck!

Thank you, HydroGuy for both the information and the hand-holding on sold-out Grad Nite mayhem. I appreciate all you have done for Disneyland Resort guests visiting during Grad Nites. :cool1:

BlueFairy
04-13-2013, 09:24 AM
I am confused. The first post lists 5/29-31/2013 as a grad nights. And an oft-used crowd calendar only lists 5/29. However, I would swear that at one point I saw 6/1 listed somewhere as well. Are the dates fluid? Have 5/30 and 5/31 been dropped from the schedule? For now I think we will assume that the first post is correct, but I'm curious if someone can shed light on where the discrepancy comes from. Thanks!

HydroGuy
04-13-2013, 10:59 AM
I am confused. The first post lists 5/29-31/2013 as a grad nights. And an oft-used crowd calendar only lists 5/29. However, I would swear that at one point I saw 6/1 listed somewhere as well. Are the dates fluid? Have 5/30 and 5/31 been dropped from the schedule? For now I think we will assume that the first post is correct, but I'm curious if someone can shed light on where the discrepancy comes from. Thanks!I am not 100% sure about this but I think in some cases some websites are either outdated (new dates have been added) or only list dates that are not yet sold out.

BlueFairy
04-13-2013, 10:09 PM
Thanks! I guess we'll see.

LisaCat
05-17-2014, 09:18 PM
Hydroguy- I just had to give a shout out to a fellow Grad Nighter! You have me beat though. I was 1987. Our busload of Grads drove down from Northern CA, did Disney and then drove back. It was quite a trip and an absolute blast!

My Grad Nite was 1981. We were on a bus for 7 hours. The girls and boys took turns changing into our nice clothes (girls had to wear dresses!) on the bus in the DL parking lot. We partied all night (Kool and the Gang was the headliner entertainment!) and then got back on the bus in the morning for the 7 hour drive home. GOOD TIMES!

ConnieB
05-17-2014, 10:02 PM
1981 here also.....and we had to wear either dresses or a "nice pant suit"....so I wore a pant suit and vest.

Drove all day, party all night and slept on the drive back to San Francisco.

THOSE were fun times. Gone on 2 recent grad nights, which included the day tickets.....which was definitely a nice perk, but the public was there all day so it wasn't until night that it felt like "Grad Night" and having Grad Night end at 3am just seemed wrong. :rotfl2:

MommyJKM
05-19-2014, 03:21 PM
1981 here also.....and we had to wear either dresses or a "nice pant suit"....so I wore a pant suit and vest.

Drove all day, party all night and slept on the drive back to San Francisco.

THOSE were fun times. Gone on 2 recent grad nights, which included the day tickets.....which was definitely a nice perk, but the public was there all day so it wasn't until night that it felt like "Grad Night" and having Grad Night end at 3am just seemed wrong. :rotfl2:

OMG Good Memories! I was class of 1994. I think Color Me Badd was the headliner. We took a bus from San Leandro, CA - drove 8 hours, changed in the bus (girl's first, then boys) and couldn't wear skirts or tank tops. Then we were set loose and all behaved.

Got back on the bus at 7am to go to Universal Studios for 8 hours and drove back. Whew! But we were always respectful and thankful for the experience! :hug:

BattyMcDoon
05-19-2014, 05:37 PM
I heard on a youtube video today that the Grad Nites are only going to be in DCA this year. Can anyone confirm that?

HydroGuy
05-19-2014, 09:15 PM
I heard on a youtube video today that the Grad Nites are only going to be in DCA this year. Can anyone confirm that?

Yes, did you read the first post that discusses this?

sandysue
05-20-2014, 01:06 AM
I think the implication is that grads won't have park hoppers and will be confined to DCA. Which we know to be false.

HydroGuy
05-20-2014, 07:52 AM
I think the implication is that grads won't have park hoppers and will be confined to DCA. Which we know to be false.

I guess it depends on how you read the question. The grad night after hours will be at DCA only. But you are of course correct that during normal park hours the grads can be at both DL and DCA.

BattyMcDoon
05-20-2014, 03:11 PM
I guess it depends on how you read the question. The grad night after hours will be at DCA only. But you are of course correct that during normal park hours the grads can be at both DL and DCA.

Perhaps I misunderstood the video I watched. I took it as they would only be allowed into DCA, aka no park hoppers and no Grads in DLR. I guess I will have to rewatch it.