PDA

View Full Version : Renaissance Orlando Resort

RLevy29
07-10-2002, 08:42 PM
How far away is the Renaissance Orlando Resort from Universal? Has anyone stayed at this hotel before? I will be attending a kindergarten teachers convention while my DH will go to IOA. Is he better off driving or taking the hotel shuttle? Any information would help. Thanks,

WebmasterBarry
07-10-2002, 10:15 PM
The hotel is about 15-20 minutes away. I've never taken the shuttle there before, but to get to IOA from the hotel, you need to drive part way up I-Drive. I-Drive can get really busy, especially during rush hour. You can go up I-4, but it can turn into a parking lot during busy times.

Robinrs
07-11-2002, 12:57 PM
I've never stayed there but have heard nothing but great things about this hotel. I stay regularly at the Renaissance Orlando Airport hotel and they share some employees who LOVE working there!

I would NEVER consider a shuttle over a car to USF. Two reasons, the inflexibility of the schedules and the buses themselves. I would drive over so I can be on my own schedule. Remember the walk from the parks to the bus stop is a long one and if you miss the shuttle it's usually a long wait for the next one.

suzysezso
07-11-2002, 01:47 PM
I agree that a car is always the preferred option. International Drive can be daunting for someone who has never been there, heavy cross traffic and turning lane tie-ups, but I have never seen a real serious delay . Just be very careful and observant- lots of people driving without knowing where they are going, some roads (read Universal Blvd) that cross I-drive more than once. I find the main problem is not the traffic but the huge amount of distractions both outside the car and from the back seat (WOW look at that! Ohhh Mom can we go THERE? Mom he's pinching me again!) but I actually enjoy driving in O-town now that I have gotten the hang of it.
You might want to consider having your family spend a day at Seaworld which is across the parking lot from the Renaissance. Not as exciting as IOA, and really only worth going if you enjoy animal exhibits and good shows,only 3 real rides and some nice kiddie play areas, but it's waling distance, something to consider.
:jester:

RLevy29
07-11-2002, 09:08 PM
Thanks for all of the info. We usually stay on Disney property and this is the first time that we are going to Orlando without going to Disney. We plan on going to Sea World as well as IOA and US. We usually drive at DW and I think that we will probably drive from the hotel here also based on your replies.

robvia
07-12-2002, 08:35 AM
I've stayed there, nice resort. It's literally across the street from SWF. The atrium views are nice, scroll down this link and you'll see what it looks like.
http://home.attbi.com/~robvia/SeaWorld1.htm
I suggest using I-4 when driving to IOA. You'll make a left out of the hotel on Sea Harbour drive heading north, then a left onto I-Drive, then quickly get in the right lane which leads to ramps onto a short highway leading to I-4. Once on I-4 heading East, you'll get in the far left lane for the exit onto Kirkman Road. I-4 usually slows down in the afternoon, but a slow moving highway is better than I-drive. If the highway thing scares you, then just stay on I-drive heading north, it will lead to Universal Blvd where you make a left. If you miss the turn, then you keep going to Kirkman Road and make a left.
You're better off driving yourself, it's not that bad.
I suggest the DH visit IOA first thing in the morning leaving at 8am. Traffic won't be bad and he'll be first in line at the gate. All the rides are a walkon when you make it thru the gate when the park opens. Then he can come back at noon and both of you can walk across the parking lot to SWF to get your free beer samples at the hospitality center and celebrate and great day.