PDA

View Full Version : Noooooo!!!!!!!

madmumof2
09-29-2009, 10:34 AM
Please please please someone give me some hope!!

Cameron has been sent home from school today with chicken pox!! We fly in 10 days.

Please tell me he'll be over it by then?????

We've been waiting for this for sooo long and this has to happen now!

Apparently you're contagious 1-2 days before the spots and you have chicken pox for 2-3 weeks before the spots, so hopefully, if Alyssa was going to get them it would have been 1-2 days ago and shouldn't get the spots for a couple of weeks.

I really need some hope right now and some reassurance I won't have to cancel this holiday! Everything seems to have gone wrong regarding this trip. :(

Absolutely gutted. :(

gilld
09-29-2009, 10:39 AM
I'm so sorry, I'm afraid the incubation period for Chicken Pox can be up to 3 weeks and you are infectious for a day or two before the spots appear, so it's still very likely your daughter will get it.

It is highly contagious and dangerous to anyone who has a lowered immunity, so your airline will not allow you to travel if either child has any spots not yet completely crusted over - as until then the child will still be infectious.

Good luck.

SammieG
09-29-2009, 10:52 AM
the spots should be well crusted over by the time you go in 10 days so your son should be fine to travel. its probably worth getting a doctors note to say he is no longer contagious if he has a lot of spots lingering.

In terms of your daughter... you may be lucky with her. My experience is its usually two weeks before the spots appear if she has caught it from him. Its amazing how many siblings dont catch it though!

My son had a birthday party the day after he got chicken pox and we had 30 children there.. not one of them got it!

The problem you will have if she does get it whilst youre away is that the Americans are much more nervous about it than we are in the UK... and they will recommend you keep her away from anyone at all.
As Gilld said... there is no chance you will be allowed to fly if they suspect either child is contagious :(

Dont panic though.. there is nothing you can do... and she may be fine :) fingers crossed for you... (the good thing is that is they do get it, you dont have to worry about it in future!)

team harris
09-29-2009, 10:52 AM
I'm so sorry :love:
- you should remain in "isolation" until the spots scab over. Just think of how crabby children can be when they are ill, 10 days is a long time so wait, but if you are insured at least you can make a claim and rebook - but I hope it doesn't come to that.:hug:

T16GEM
09-29-2009, 10:55 AM
OH NO! I cannot believe this. I hope that everything turns out ok for you Gemma.

:hug:

gilld
09-29-2009, 11:01 AM
i... (the good thing is that is they do get it, you dont have to worry about it in future!)

Not true I'm afraid. Although unusual to get it again, it can and does happen. I've had Chicken Pox THREE times - and Shingles!!!

jen_uk
09-29-2009, 11:03 AM
I hope he is over it by the time you go and your daughter doesn't catch it, got everything crossed for you! :wizard::wizard::wizard:

alisonbestford
09-29-2009, 11:26 AM
Got everything crossed for you :wizard:

My son got it when he was 2 but DD, then 5, still hasn't had it at 25 :confused3

UKDEB
09-29-2009, 11:47 AM
It often occurs to me how lucky we've been never to have had any of our trips disrupted by something like this. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that your daughter doesn't succumb, but maybe it would be better if she caught it before you go. At least then you could try to re-book for a later date. If she gets it whilst you're away, you could spend the entire time nursing her through it. When I had it as a child, I had spots everywhere - up my nose, under my eyelids, in my ears - and was quite poorly. My brother caught it from me and had about 10 spots. You wouldn't really have known he was ill. Not really what you want to hear, I'm sure. :blush:

Needless to say, keep your daughter away from your son and don't let them share anything at all. Is it the spots themselves which are contagious does anyone know? Or is it airborne? This might sound a bit crazy, but it may be worth investing in a surgical mask for your son.

Not a nice position to be in at all. :hug:

UKDEB
09-29-2009, 11:53 AM
Another thought occurs to me. Have you phoned NHS Direct? They may be able to offer advice. It might not even be too late for your daughter to benefit from a vaccination.

UKDEB
09-29-2009, 11:57 AM
This (http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Chickenpox/Pages/Prevention.aspx) may be useful.

madmumof2
09-29-2009, 12:13 PM
From what I've been reading, it's sneezing, coughing, laughing, sharing etc that spreads it, as well as touching obviously. I'm trying to keep them away from each other but obviously that's quite hard to do lol And he would ahve been contagious for the last couple of days so if she's going to get it she would have already been exposed to it anyway. :(

I think Cameron should be ok by the time we go, 10 days should do it? I just really hope Alyssa doesn't get it now. :( I'm going to book a doctors appointment the day before we leave so if he has the scabs I can get a doctors note saying he's not contagious any more.

I can't believe this. First credit card fraud taking half my spending money, now chicken pox and the real possibility that we won't be able to go!

I've rang the travel agents and they've said I'm covered and will get all my money back, BUT, I bagged a bargain. I doubt very much I'll be able to get a holiday anywhere near as good as the one we've got for the same amount of money. :(

I've bought the insurance with ATD too, anyone know if this covers anything like this? Would I be able to get my tickets swapped for 2010 ones for eg even though the prices have shot up since I bought them?

tashasmum
09-29-2009, 12:13 PM
This happened to us, albeit 13yrs ago. DD caught them two days before we should have flown. We had no time to wait and see so had to ring the carrier straight away who advised us to cancel and re-book for a later date.

We were insured but had to make a claim and re-booked with a different company.

A week into the holidays DH caught them, he had never had them, and they were really bad. He didn't leave the room for 4 days and then only went out at night. He had no trouble flying home but we had a letter off the Dr just in case.

Could you not try ringing your carrier to see what they advise? Maybe they can tell you how long after the spots have come out they will allow you to still fly. In the end we could have gone on the original date as DD only got a few and none were visible.

Fingers crossed for you and your children.pixiedust:

madmumof2
09-29-2009, 12:31 PM
I've just been checking again... any chance these are flea bites??

Reason I ask is I have cats and kittens. 2 were re homed yesterday and they were both inside the house for an hour or so (they normally live outside in their own little shed). Cameron also put his uniform on the floor this morning before putting it on for school. I didn't notice any spots this morning (although I wasn't really looking for spots lol).

Am I just seeing a coincidence here for some hope or could these be bites??

He has 15 spots all in the same area (bottom right of his belly).

I'll post a picture in a second lol.

madmumof2
09-29-2009, 12:34 PM
Covered in camoline lotion lol. This is the only area the spots are in. I've looked at pictures of chicken pox and pictures of flea bites and these look a lot more like flea bites. Any hope?? lol

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t280/growingpainsmod/CP.jpg

Lizzybear
09-29-2009, 12:47 PM
Hard to say... I had chicken pox a few years ago and all the spots were on my face and chest (I looked like I had really bad acne for ages :rolleyes:) and I had shingles earlier this year which was just a small rash on my back so could well just be CP concentrated on that one area. If this is the case then I hope they go away soon, your DD doesn't get it and you all get to go :flower3:

Lisa x
09-29-2009, 12:51 PM
Awww Im so sorry to hear this Gemma!

I have no idea im sorry whether they look like chicken pox or flea bites, Iv personally never seen as many flea bites in one area like that!

I honestly think that if the spots have started to come out now and you keep them absolutely caked in that lotion, they will dry up! Even if they are still there but dried up, he will defo be ok to fly!

Definitely keeping my fingers crossed for you x

tashasmum
09-29-2009, 12:52 PM
Have you tried giving him a hot bath to see if it brings out any more? My mum swore by hot baths to bring the spots out.

I personally would take him to the Drs if you have any doubt.

madmumof2
09-29-2009, 01:08 PM
I did take him doctors, he said he thought it was chicken pox until I mentioned we had cats in the house yesterday. He said he thought they were chicken pox but they could be bites as well. Told me to count the spots and if any more appear we know for sure it's chicken pox. If not we may have gotten lucky!

I'll try the hot bath tomorrow! In the morning since he isn't going to school. :(

I've just caked on loads more lol. I don't think it's harmful is it? I'm going to keep topping it up every half hour if not! lol

Anyone know if it will stop the spots from developing if I put it in areas that haven't got spots? lol I could just bathe him in the stuff! lol

MaumeeMom
09-29-2009, 01:19 PM
I'd get to the doctor today if possible to have him/her check the spots and advise you on the travel.
Ooops! We posted at the same time. Glad that you consulted the doctor.

I remember taking warm oatmeal baths when I was little and had chicken pox - they may help your DS.

One thing that you may want to think about is how much time is your DS going to miss from school due to being sick? Are the kids going to miss school for your vacation, or are you doing a Columbus Day weekend? If he misses a big chunk of time due to being sick, and you have insurance, then you may not want him to miss more time for vacation. Just a thought, not a criticism.

It is terrible when the kids are sick and it must be even worse with all the other stresses you are under - sorry that you have to go through this. Good luck - sending positive thoughts your way.

madmumof2
09-29-2009, 01:28 PM
We have 2 weeks half term here so he was only missing 6 days of school anyway. This will add another week probably. If it's not bites obviously. Still hoping they are!#

I figure if there are no new spots tomorrow it's more likely they are bites and not the pox? He's had these kind of spots before (maybe fleas again, bloody cats!) and I never knew what they were. My daughter is prone to harmless rashes, I just assumed he was prone to the odd batch of spots lol.

maznorm
09-29-2009, 01:45 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your bad luck. Don't lose hope that it might just be flea bites. Although, I am sure I read somewhere that Chicken Pox tends to start on the stomache area.

I really hope that it is just harmless bites and that the rest of your trip goes by without any more bad luck!!

I am sur eyou will have a fab time.

Pegasus928
09-29-2009, 01:46 PM
Fingers crossed that it is bites pixiedust:

I can't believe how much life keeps on throwing at you as you try to prepare for this holiday.
I can't think of anyone who will deserve it more when it finally comes around

Lisa x
09-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Fingers crossed that it is bites pixiedust:

I can't believe how much life keeps on throwing at you as you try to prepare for this holiday.
I can't think of anyone who will deserve it more when it finally comes around

Totally agree! :hug:

igk
09-29-2009, 02:09 PM
Sorry to hear that - it must be really stressful.
How is he in himself? I remember when my two had chicken pox they weren't well in themselves - like flu. If he's otherwise fine apart from the spots you might be lucky (I'm not a doctor though).

joolz1910
09-29-2009, 02:16 PM
There was a lengthy discussion on the DLRP board earlier this year on this exact situation. I would post a link but I'm terrible at searches. I seem to recall that the consensus of opinion (both medical and lay) was that it stopped being contagious about 5 days after the spots came out.:confused3 I would go to your GP and get a letter that allows you to fly. An episode of Airline had this exact scenario and the family had a letter to confirm that the child was not contagious and they were allowed to fly. I'm sure they are most contagious before the spots appear.

Good luck - I really hope it works out for you.

wayneg
09-29-2009, 02:46 PM
How is he in himself? I remember when my two had chicken pox they weren't well in themselves - like flu. If he's otherwise fine apart from the spots you might be lucky (I'm not a doctor though).

All children are different with Chicken Pox. We were in Benidorm when Matt came out with the spots, I think the heat and cool pool water helped, hardly any illness and no stratching. All over in a few days.

Ware Bears
09-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Just read this through and I am crossing everything in the hope that it is flea bites. :wizard:

When my DDs had chicken pox it started on their chest/trunk with all of them but rapidly spread. My eldest didn't have many spots but the ones she did have were randomly all over her body, not just in one place.

Let's hope there are no new spots overnight. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

madmumof2
09-29-2009, 03:21 PM
So far there have been no more spots. I would have thought it would have spread more by now too.

He's been fine in himself, not even a sniffle. He's been fine today too, his usual self but I know not all children become ill so that's not really that hopeful.

He's gone to bed in Ben's black t-shirt (he's 6'5 so it looks huge! lol) and he's caked in calamine lotion so he looks like he's dressed up for halloween as a skeleton lol.

I told him if he can stay away from Alyssa, out of her room and not to cough or anything near her to stop her getting the spots too I'll buy him a proper skeleton outfit to wear in Florida for halloween lol.

Bless him, he's been so good at school the past few weeks (was a bit of a nightmare due to his dad causing him problems and messing with his head) and he was supposed to have one of his friends round for dinner on Friday, which obviously can't happen now. :(

Hodkys
09-29-2009, 03:22 PM
A few years ago the same thing happened to us when oldest DS was 2 1/2 yrs old. There was an outbreak of chicken pox at nursery. He was poorly (sleepy and off food) for 48 hours, then back to his normal self. Only the spots showed he had been ill. Most of his spots were on his torso, and a few on his hairline. Dressed, it was fairly hard to tell he had chicken pox :eek:

We were only a week off flying Easyjet to DLP, only 7 days after being diagnosed from the spots. We were lucky that all his spots came out within 48 hours of the first appearing. We got a Dr's letter to confirm the date he had seen him, the status of the spots (they had begun to dry up and no new ones appearing), and therefore he was no longer contagious...and importantly he was fit to travel.

It might be worth an "anonymous" phone call to the airline to check their policy on Chicken Pox and other communicable diseases. Based on our experience you should be ok. :)

saratogagirl
09-29-2009, 03:23 PM
I do so hope its flea bites, you have put up with enough already!! Definately do the hot bath, I got chickenpox coming back from Orlando albeit I didn't know at the time, had felt generally unwell for days, a sore throat which I had put down to the air conditiong. Last day we were at Movies and at the pool as we had to check out the room and I felt reall rough, I took a hot shower at the pool before we left for the airport and by the time we landed in Gatwick I was plastered, didn't have a spot on me boarding the plane in Orlando, it was bizarre. Apologies to anyone I infected on the plane!! I shared it with m father when we got home!!
I have everything crossed its flea bites ...

fairytale
09-29-2009, 03:45 PM
Hiya.

I am afraid, as a mum of 4 children under 8, all of whom have been through Chicken Pox, those looks very familiar to me.

I'm on someone elses laptop at the moment but will pop over to my home computer and post you a picture of our DS4 when he had them last year.

Mine always suffered cold like symptons first prior to the spots coming out and unfortunately DS8 gave them to DS7 within 2 days then 4 years later DS2 gave them to DD6 months within 24 hours. Its just so hard to keep little ones apart.

I was once told by a paediatrician that we know to give your children, Piriton 3 times a day, it always worked a treat for our children, stopped the itching for sure:thumbsup2

I'll post back in a minute, if I can upload the photographs that is :scared1:

kristieuk
09-29-2009, 03:50 PM
I do so hope its flea bites, you have put up with enough already!! Definately do the hot bath, I got chickenpox coming back from Orlando albeit I didn't know at the time, had felt generally unwell for days, a sore throat which I had put down to the air conditiong. Last day we were at Movies and at the pool as we had to check out the room and I felt reall rough, I took a hot shower at the pool before we left for the airport and by the time we landed in Gatwick I was plastered, didn't have a spot on me boarding the plane in Orlando, it was bizarre. Apologies to anyone I infected on the plane!! I shared it with m father when we got home!!
I have everything crossed its flea bites ...

The same thing happened with DD. I noticed what I assumed was a mosquito bite as we were dressing her to leave for the airport to come home. When we landed at Gatwick, she was plastered. I felt terrible for anyone we had infected on the flight, but it never crossed my mind it was chicken pox, we were away for almost 3 weeks and I still don't know where she got it from.

Gemma - I really feel for you. I have the chicken pox dread for our youngest before holiday each year, with all sorts of contingency plans up my sleeve, just in case. I really hope these prove to be nothing, or if it is cp, your daughter doesn't catch it. I'm sure Cameron will be fine to fly in 10 days time. Lots of :wizard::wizard::wizard: your way.

Beth__WDW23/6/02
09-29-2009, 04:47 PM
Have you changed your washing packet lately? or fabric softener?? My girls both get similar rashes like this it COULD be that but if the DR does believe it's chicken pox then it more than likely is.

DD has had chicken pox when she was smaller,they scabbed over make sure you tell him not to scratch too much..it is hard but the calamine will help.

Hopefully you will be able to fly..I would double check though you don't want someone to notice at the airport and refuse you..

Fingers crossed they clear up soon.:wizard:

scottish mum
09-30-2009, 02:19 AM
My kids had the chicken pox this summer the youngest 2 got them 13 days before our holiday:scared1::scared1:. DS only got a few and they cleared up really quick, DD had loads and was still marked on our holiday but the doctor wrote us a letter saying she was not infectious. He said that you are only infectious until 6 days after your 1st spot appears.

As for your DD I really hope she doesn't get them, my 2 youngest both got them 14 days after their older brother, then my nephew got them 2 weeks after that but his older brother never got them at all and they share a room.

For your son I would give him an anti histamine to stop the itching also I found eurax lotion or cream worked better than calamine lotion, if he gets loads of spots put the lotion in a spray bottle and just apray it on him instead of dabbing it on.

I hope everything works out ok for you all :hug::hug:

strawberry blonde
09-30-2009, 03:46 AM
When my son was 3 he got chickenpox really bad and they were everywhere. He was literally covered head to toe in calamine lotion. I used to give him 2 lukewarm baths a day with loads of sodium bicarb in the water. Boots sold big packs of it and I got through quite a lot but it did dry the scabs out. If it is chickenpox, ask the pharmacist if this is still a good idea.
Your daughter may be lucky and not get it. My other son was 9 months old at the time and he only got 3 spots.

Hope everything works out for you and that when you get to Florida you can laugh about this. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. :hug:

disney_princess_85
09-30-2009, 03:49 AM
:sad2: I'm sorry you have to go through this just before your holiday. I can't offer any advice as I'm very unfamiliar with chicken pox, I just hope everything works out ok for you. :wizard:

madmumof2
09-30-2009, 03:50 AM
I'll have to get some of that thank you!

He's woken up with a couple more spots. :( So it looks like it's definitely chicken pox. Although I'm taking as a good sign that there are only a couple more almost 24 hours since the school first noticed it?

I'm trying to keep the kids away from each other, which is hard, but going ok so far.

I'm watching everything he touches and making sure Alyssa doesn't touch it before I've had the anti bacterial wipes on it! They are now not allowed in each others rooms until we go. He still seems fine, so does Alyssa.

Guess we're going to just have to sit it out and wait. :(

VailaTigger
09-30-2009, 06:34 AM
Oh I hope it all works out well for you!!!

Sending some pixie dust your way.:wizard:

Shazzie B
09-30-2009, 06:46 AM
Fingers crossed for you; I know every-one's experience is different. I looked after my nephew 4 for the night and bathed him with my son 3, nephew came out in spots the next day. Son didn't pick up though.

Unfortunately my daughter who was only 9 months old did-he'd had very little contact with her-son did pick them up from her 3 weeks later (I think)-didn't keep them apart like you're doing though as for me it was a good idea to get them over and done with before he went to school:thumbsup2.

I phoned my Dr and was advised to keep the spots dry-no baths-as this would make them dry up/heal quicker and less likely to scar-if spots are 'soft' after a bath and scratched easier to damage skin! I used calomine lotion and Dr also said that they wouldn't be too ill as strain was quite weak now.

Mine are now 14 & 16 so few years ago.

As long as spot are 'dry' air-line should be OK -my sister in law had this nightmare last year too. Letter from Dr sounds a good idea. I'm sure you'll be OK in parks, I saw a couple of kids with what looked like Chicken Pox when I was there in Aug!

Try not to stress too much - not a lot you can do anyway:hug:
Let us know how it goes.

madmumof2
09-30-2009, 07:28 AM
Thanks for your replies everyone!

I've rang the airline and they said they 'think' the policy is they can fly 7 days aftwr the first spot has appeared' so he should be ok, but he didn't sound like he was 100% certain.

Their website does say the same thing though, so as long as Alyssa doesn't get them before we leave we can go.

I also rang to make an appointment with his doctor for next wednesday (day before we leave for gatwick) so I can get a note from him to say he's no longer contagious but the receptionist said that takes time and I can't just ask for a note???

I've got an appointment for today anyway so will ask him then, and ask if he can write a note saying the spots first appeared yesterday (since the policy says he can fly 7 days after the first spot, which would have passed by the time we fly).

So now I'm worried I won't be able to get a note from the doctor! Does anyone know if he HAS to write a note? :(

orangetiggs
09-30-2009, 07:46 AM
my note from my consultant took a few days to prepare and then get signed, they normally dont write the note put have to sign it

Hope all goes well

madmumof2
09-30-2009, 08:28 AM
my note from my consultant took a few days to prepare and then get signed, they normally dont write the note put have to sign it

Hope all goes well

I don't think I've got time for that have I? If his spots scab up by Tuesday I'll only have a day to get the note sorted :(

Is there not a doctor in the airport or something that can check him over if they're not sure so they can see for themselves he's all scabbed up and no longer contagious?

natalielongstaff
09-30-2009, 10:22 AM
this is all very frustrating, im keeping my fingers crossed for you all :wizard:

scottish mum
09-30-2009, 10:37 AM
Hiya, my doctor wrote a note there and then for me. He just put DD's name, DOB, when she got the chicken pox and the official medical guidelines, which were you are only infectious for 6 days after the 1st spot appears even if not all the spots have scabbed over. It took him about 2 minutes and he printed it straight away. wasn't a problem and also he never cherged me for it although I know some doctors do charge.

kristieuk
09-30-2009, 10:42 AM
You absolutely can ask the Dr to do you a note there and then - it's no use to you any other time, and I'm sure in the circumstances your dr will simply type a few lines for you and print them off there and then. Just insist! Drs receptionists have a way of thinking they control everything (sorry, not meaning to offend anyone here, had a bad experience this morning!). Good luck, I have everything crossed for you :hug:

Beth__WDW23/6/02
09-30-2009, 11:38 AM
The DR doesn't have to write a letter but you can ask,and hopefully they will.
Even if it's just a few lines,signed make sure it as his stamp/address etc on it..so it looked official.

Glad you've checked I am sure you'll be fine to go..shame though you've got this stress leading up to it..it always happens,I was excatly the same this year,was worried I had oral cancer,ended up emergency dentists before I went,anti'bs the lot! then I was poorly with stressing..so stay calm.

madmumof2
09-30-2009, 12:12 PM
Well we've been to the doctor's and he confirmed it was chicken pox.

Good news though, he said he thought it was a mild case, and Alyssa may not get it. He said his looks like it will clear quickly (not spreading, not itching, no illness, all in one spot etc) and he's made an appointment for next wednesday morning so he can see the spots all scabbed over and write a note for me!

The only thing hanging over us now is whether or not Alyssa will get it. Doc said if she's going to get it she's most likely to get it today or tomorrow, but I've read on here that that's not always the case with siblings.

Hopefully she wont get it, or gets it out there!

So looking hopeful we'll be able to fly but still not totally out of the woods yet. On regular spot check. lol

The Fetherstons
09-30-2009, 12:22 PM
Im sending you all lots of pixie dust:wizard::wizard::wizard::wizard::wizard:

Cover his spots with plenty of Eurax cream its great stuff, I used it for Adam last year when he had c pox.

Hope Alysa stays fine:hug:

buzz for boys
09-30-2009, 01:04 PM
Not got anything else to say but wanted to give you a big hug :hug: and a ive everything crossed that alyssa doesnt get it !!! :wizard::wizard::wizard:
thinking of you x x x

stephensmum
09-30-2009, 01:28 PM
So sorry for you, I know how much this holiday means and will pray that everythings fine & you get to Disney & have a wonderful time.

martin1
09-30-2009, 01:31 PM
we are all praying for the best outcome for you all

Anjel1310
09-30-2009, 02:01 PM
Fingers crossed for you, if anyone deserves this holiday you do!!!!

howlongtillsummer?
09-30-2009, 03:17 PM
Wishing you all the best that it turns out ok!

lin85prest
09-30-2009, 03:48 PM
Fingers crossed for you. :wizard::wizard::wizard::wizard::wizard::wizard:

ChipnDaleRule
09-30-2009, 03:51 PM
OMG, I will check back here over the next week to see what has happened. Our family have EVERYTHING crossed for youpixiedust:pixiedust:

madmumof2
09-30-2009, 04:31 PM
Aww bless you all! Thank you so much. I'm sure we'll get there with all of you rooting for us! :D

mackay_j
10-01-2009, 06:00 AM
Hi keeping my fingers crossed for you.

I know how you feel, we were meant to be off to mexico next week, but my eldest girl took very ill, a mass 20cm in diameter was removed for her plevis area, and we have all be under such stress over it, to be honest the holiday became the least of our problems, but now that we have got through the last month, we really could do with the break. Yesterday, we got broken into and I was at the end of my strength,everything that had happened over the last month just got too much- today however- We got the pathology test results back and my girl (although still recovering and we know she will need to go back in hospital for a few weeks next year to repair so of the damage this thing has cause) has been given the all clear, and to celebrate my husband has just extened our hols to orlando at xmas so that we can make it even more special. We have also decied to go a little break to the norfolk broads for a few days on a boat as soon as she is well enough so that we can all chill out.

jen_uk
10-01-2009, 06:03 AM

I know how you feel, we were meant to be off to mexico next week, but my eldest girl took very ill, a mass 20cm in diameter was removed for her plevis area, and we have all be under such stress over it, to be honest the holiday became the least of our problems, but now that we have got through the last month, we really could do with the break. Yesterday, we got broken into and I was at the end of my strength,everything that had happened over the last month just got too much- today however- We got the pathology test results back and my girl (although still recovering and we know she will need to go back in hospital for a few weeks next year to repair so of the damage this thing has cause) has been given the all clear, and to celebrate my husband has just extened our hols to orlando at xmas so that we can make it even more special. We have also decied to go a little break to the norfolk broads for a few days on a boat as soon as she is well enough so that we can all chill out.

That is so much to got through :headache: Hugs for you :hug: Hope you have a wonderful trip at Christmas :wizard:

madmumof2
10-01-2009, 06:09 AM

Sounds like YOU are the one who deserves a WDW holiday more than anyone! What an ordeal! So glad your daughter has the all clear, that must be such a relief!

My problems seem like nothing compared to what you've been through. :hug:

madmumof2
10-01-2009, 06:35 AM
Ok, confused now. Been reading and apparently it takes 1-2 days for the spots to finish their cycle (ie spot, blister, pop, dry, scab over). It's been two days since he first got the spots and he has had none of that??

If anything they seem to be fading away. :S Any chance this isn't chicken pox at all?? Or maybe it's that mild they're not even going to blister? Or they're stubborn little spots taking their time to die!! lol

orangetiggs
10-01-2009, 06:37 AM
have you taken him to the doctors yet? I would get him there asap and get it confirmed as you may be worrying over nothing, may just be some sort of rash

madmumof2
10-01-2009, 06:55 AM
I did, twice lol and he said he thought it was chicken pox but all would be clear in a couple of days.

And his spots haven't blistered and seem to be fading. Is this normal with chicken pox? Doctors can be wrong and I'm hoping that's the case for us! lol

mackay_j
10-01-2009, 06:57 AM
When my kids had it the first spot/spots usually always blister some of the later ones didn't. For most the 1st spot is the largest and the blister very pronounced. I would go back to the GP if you are not sure that this is chickenpox, then you will be able to relax.

Sorry to hickjack this thread, but was it you that had problems with your fairfax card. Mine has gone in the burgalry, I cancled all my cards straight away and have been able to check that all the rest were not used before they got cancled, but fairfax have said someone will call, that was yesterday am and still oneone has, also on line it says balance unkown, I am getting worried now that maybe some has used it (can the dollar one be used in the uk?). If it was you how long did it take to stort it out, or for someone to get back to you?

madmumof2
10-01-2009, 08:01 AM
Yes that was me. Don't worry, the balance says unknown because you cancelled the card. Once it's cancelled, no one can take any money off.

Did you get a new card ordered? If so, the balance will be moved to that card. If not, ring them back and tell them you want a new card because your old one, which has been cancelled, was stolen. I got my new one in a few days, the pin a couple of days after that.

They were brilliant in handling it. I haven't got all my money back, and won't until after the holiday, but I will get it all back. :)

If Cameron's spots have not blistered by tomorrow I think I'll take him back. Some of them have just about vanished now. You can only see them when you're up close. Some are still red and spotty but no sign of blisters. I don't even think they're itching?

mackay_j
10-01-2009, 08:12 AM
you have probably already tried this but it may be worth a look chickenpox in yahoo images

fairytale
10-01-2009, 09:57 AM
Well in my experience the first ones are the deadly ones :scared1: the ones that are first to come and last to go.

Big nasty blistering spots :eek:

If I knew how to post a photograph I would for you but I cannot figure it out :confused3

If its any consolation for you we travel a week on Saturday and I 've just broken my big toe :rotfl: Just thought I 'd try and put a smile on your face ;)

madmumof2
10-01-2009, 11:01 AM
Lol, awww no that wouldn't make me smile! lol

Well this is what they looked like on Tuesday.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t280/growingpainsmod/CP.jpg

And this is what they look like now.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t280/growingpainsmod/CP001.jpg

Any opinions?? :D

Lisa x
10-01-2009, 11:08 AM
:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 Not sure whether they were chicken pox or not but definitely looking good in my opinion!

All our wishes must work....any1 fancy wishing me luck for the lottery this week? :rotfl2:

Anjel1310
10-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Would have thought they would of scabbed up by now.
My 4 year niece had what the doctors thought was chicken pox last year, after 5 days they had not started to scab up and ere not itchy,infact she was not unwell at all, so my sister took her back, saw the same doctor who then said it was a rash from the 'measles Family' and should clear up in a coulple of days, 2 days later it was gone.
So fingers crossed if no scabs by the weekend I doubt it is chicken pox, Fingers crossed for you anyway.

scottish mum
10-01-2009, 01:20 PM
Usually chicken pox have watery blisters, and then the blister scabs over leaving a crusty top. If there have been no blisters I would guess that its not chicken pox. In your photo they look to be fading.

Did he get many more spots? My oldest ds and dd kept getting new spots for abot 5 days but my youungest ds only got spots for about 3 days.

My fingers are crossed for you

madmumof2
10-01-2009, 02:08 PM
He had 15 on Tuesday when he was sent home from school. Wednesday morning he had 5 more but they were in a totally different place (right at the top of his chest, near his neck).

Those 5 were no where near as red and have virtually vanished.

kristieuk
10-01-2009, 03:47 PM
I don't know whether this is any help at all, but DD2 was sent home from nursery with 'chicken pox' at the beginning of the summer. I brought her home via the GP who confirmed cp, and you could almost see the spots appear before your eyes. However, they didn't blister or scab over, and after a couple of days, I began to suspect it wasn't chicken pox at all. Then the spots literally disappeared, fading away until her skin was flawless again. We went through this cycle over and over again over about a 6 week period.

It was eventaully established by the GP that this was likely a case of hives - or urticaria - which could have been brought on by a virus, although they can be specific allergic reaction. There didn't seem to be any trigger for her that we could identify, and one day (touch wood) they went as quickly as they appeared and never came back.

It does seem to me that if the spots are fading without crusting over, it is most likely not chicken pox - in which case, crack open the bubbly :goodvibes

lin85prest
10-01-2009, 03:59 PM
My DD went to the doctor today with my 17 month grandson who has been having spots appearing for the last few days she said it was a viral and they were not contagious in any way which is just as well as we are off on holiday next week. this is probably what your little boy has. Here's hoping :wizard:

madmumof2
10-02-2009, 05:50 AM
Oh I hope so! This morning the spots are the same as yesterday. So not faded any more but they still haven't blistered and are not getting any worse!

I don't want to get ahead of myself, because when I do things go wrong lol, BUT, I THINK this time next week we'll be in the air on our way to Florida!! (touch wood).

thelittlemermaid83
10-02-2009, 06:13 AM
Fingers crossed it all clears up quicky for you hun.

wicket2005
10-02-2009, 10:51 PM
First of all sending you lots of pd and a big hug, I hope your holiday goes ahead because it sounds like you need it more than anything after all of this.

Both of my lads have had chicken pox. The spots were very distinctive, ie small spots with a little blister on the top of them. They did not look like flea bites, not that I am familiar with them but looking at your photo. I noticed the spots, then several more appeared quite quickly, then they scabbed over leaving the kids look like gruesome. The youngest caught them off his brother. Neither were ill with it or suffered from itchy spots. The spots were in random places all over them and not in a cluster altogether.

Obviously I am not a doctor but your sonś spots don't sound at all like what my two experienced as there was no doubt what they had because the spots were distinctive.

Hope everything turns out well. x

ChipnDaleRule
10-07-2009, 04:02 AM
Just checking to see if you can go or not.Please let us know.
Hoping no news is good news:thumbsup2

scottish mum
10-07-2009, 06:25 AM
Hopefully you are ready to go and that your ds spots have cleared and that your dd is well. Fingers crossed for you all

madmumof2
10-07-2009, 06:26 AM
Hi, sorry I've not updated, I've been very busy this week! lol

We went to the doctor today to confirm (was originally meant for the doctors note) and he says he has no idea what it was but it's unlikely to have been chicken pox. The spots never did blister or itch and they faded. You can just see them still now but you have to be looking really closely.

It's strange because the day after Cameron was sent home, 3 children were sent home with Chicken Pox, and thinking back I remember someone bringing their toddler to school one day a couple of weeks back covered in Chicken Pox. I didn't even think about it then!

So I have no idea what exactly is was, but all is fine now, and as long as none of them get it from now until Friday (leave tomorrow but actually fly on Friday) we'll be set to go!

Thanks for everyones replies, I love this forum!

Beth__WDW23/6/02
10-07-2009, 06:37 AM
Glad that worry is over.
Hope you all have a great trip,and take plenty pics :)

scottish mum
10-07-2009, 07:13 AM
brilliant news, hope you have a great time.

igk
10-07-2009, 07:25 AM
Have a great time :banana::dance3::yay:

tashasmum
10-07-2009, 08:06 AM
Great news. Hope you have a fantastic holiday.:simba::donald::dumbo::tigger::sulley::

natalielongstaff
10-07-2009, 08:39 AM
fab news :thumbsup2

Shazzie B
10-07-2009, 08:44 AM
That's kids for ya! Glad all's OK have agreat time.:goodvibes

yummymummywales
10-07-2009, 11:28 AM
That's fantastic news for you all! Have an amazing holiday!

strawberry blonde
10-07-2009, 11:32 AM
Brilliant news. Have a great holiday . :wizard:

buzz for boys
10-07-2009, 12:04 PM
brill news now sit back relax and enjoy your holiday x x x

Jets fan
10-07-2009, 12:55 PM
Hope you all have a brilliant holiday. :thumbsup2

Tina

kristieuk
10-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Delighted for you! Have a wonderful trip :goodvibes

welshdisneyfan
10-07-2009, 04:52 PM
Fab news. Have a magical trip x

eeyorefanuk
10-08-2009, 12:58 AM
I am so pleased everything worked out OK for you, now go and enjoy your dream holiday - have fun :hug:

ChipnDaleRule
10-08-2009, 03:35 AM
Phew! Kids eh< who'd have em :rolleyes: