PDA

View Full Version : Visa Debit Card verses visa credit card

sallyj123
09-29-2009, 06:32 AM
Can I use my visa debit card in florida in the same places you can use visa credit card? I have just been reading the brits guide to Orlando and he states in there that you need a credit card for car hire and other things. I do not have a credit card but have visa debit card is that ok? I also read that walmart no longer take travelers cheques can I use my visa debit card there? I intended to take cash travelers cheques and obviously my debit card.

m0g
09-29-2009, 06:39 AM
I would suggest if possible, getting a low limit credit card just incase for your holiday, that's what I have done.

You are more protected using a credit card, and as you said it's not clear if debit cards will work everywhere.

Also if someone gets your credit card details etc, they won't have instant access to your bank account etc.

Chris

orangetiggs
09-29-2009, 06:39 AM
as long as there is a visa sign on your card you should be fine using it over there

My dad used his visa electron a few years back over there and was fine

wayneg
09-29-2009, 06:45 AM
Look at the website of your bank and check the fees to start with.
I made the mistake once(thankfully only 1 transaction) of using my Halifax debit card for an ice cream. I must have handed the wrong card over. Details below of Halifax fees. The $3.00 ice cream ended up costing me almost $6 with the fees.

If you use your Visa debit card abroad, there will be a service fee of 1.50 plus a currency conversion fee of 2.75% of the total amount, for each transaction. Overseas cash machine providers may also charge for cash withdrawals.

wayneg
09-29-2009, 06:47 AM
Forgot to say
Welcome to DISboards:welcome:

sallyj123
09-29-2009, 07:46 AM
Thank you for your replies and thank you for the welcome, you have been very useful although one more question even if I get a credit card to take with me does that not incur charges per transaction as well? I am going to try not to use any cards when I am there to be honest with you as i find you can get carried away with the old spending:)

sallyj123
09-29-2009, 07:49 AM
what low level card did you get? I don't really know what would be the best one to get if I go down that route

wayneg
09-29-2009, 07:52 AM
Thank you for your replies and thank you for the welcome, you have been very useful although one more question even if I get a credit card to take with me does that not incur charges per transaction as well? I am going to try not to use any cards when I am there to be honest with you as i find you can get carried away with the old spending:)

Depends on the credit card. One of the most popular in recent years has been Nationwide Credit card, no fees and you got the full interbank rate but a few month back they changed and started charging 0.84%, still no-where near the 2.75% + 1.50 of a Halifax debit card but still a fee not needed to be paid. Best options just now are either Abbey(Santander) or Post Office credit cards, neither charge fees. I use Post Office.

Have a read of this page for more info. http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money

Trixster
09-30-2009, 02:56 PM
If you don't want to be charged a fee when using a credit card (for purchases), many people use a pre-paid card such as fairfx. You put a certain amount of dollars on the card and use it just like you would any normal card. It isn't possible to go overdrawn so when you have spent your dollars that you have put on you can top it up when you're out there (with more dollars) - you can top it up at any time (usually takes a couple of hours for the dollars to show up).

You are charged a fee for cash withdrawals.

Have a look at fairfx.com for more info, but many people use these cards all the time. I use mine for each trip to the states.

dtm316
10-01-2009, 06:43 AM
I have a Vias debit and it's worked fine in the car hire places over the years without any issues, I'm also lucky that I don't get charged by the bank on overseas transactions, but I still take a fairfx card for day to day use as it's easier to keep track of my spending with that as I know how much is on it :)