PDA

View Full Version : CC been cloned!

Twilight Terror
09-27-2009, 03:32 PM
My sister has become the victim of 21st century crime - CC cloning. :sad2:
Mine's been cloned in the past, but never my sister's. Thankfully, she has a good bank. They took her precise holiday dates from her before we left, so they called her today when transactions still kept appearing from the US, which was after her departure date.

Turns out someone was very crafty, because no alarm bells were rung at the bank until after we returned to the UK! While we made a couple of internet purchases a few days before we left, nothing started appearing on the card until the first time she used it in Florida - the day we checked out at SSR.

Then boom! Someone started having fun with her card details! All the transactions were very sneakily made within Florida, and only a few hours drive away from Disney, straight up the I-4, so it didn't look suspicious. Had transactions started appearing in CA, then that might have raised a few eyebrows, but everything went undetected.

The most annoying thing is we checked her balance before we purchased our extra DVC points, and the balance was higher than we expected, but we had checked into OKW a few days before and been given a $1500 spending limit on our room keys. We just assumed the balance was higher than expected because they put a hold of $1500 on there, like the car rental company did. Had we stopped to check the last few transactions at that point, we would have seen what was going on. Oh well, lesson learned I guess!

While SSR had her card from check-in, the first time her card was used all holiday was check-out from SSR, where they charged our remaining bill to it! I guess the point of this post is to watch your card(s) carefully!! Abroad, and while at home, because it can happen anywhere! Also, if you have the opportunity to check your balance, do so and often!

gemmybear83
09-28-2009, 01:55 AM
I'm sorry this happened! Like you I have a phoned my bank to tell them the dates I am away - Its all you can do :confused3

does your sister think it was copied at SSR?

Twilight Terror
09-28-2009, 12:28 PM
To be honest, we're not sure. She rarely uses her card. We did buy our Universal and SeaWorld tickets online, but it was before we even left the UK. We didn't physically put a payment on her card until we then checked-out at SSR, at which point all the false payments started appearing. And it is just strange that rather than false payments being done in another random country, they were all done in the US, in Florida and within a couple hours driving distance of Orlando. :confused3

suzycute
09-28-2009, 02:46 PM
I'm really sorry this happened to Catherine - what a horrible way to end your holiday. Sounds like you did everything you should have done and took all precautions - just goes to show how, if someone is determined, they'll find a way. :sad2: