PDA

View Full Version : The final situation on VA's new baggage allowances (yeh, right!)

Obi Wan Kenobi
09-22-2009, 06:25 AM
OK,
I hope this post will help all who are still confused.
From Virgin Atlantic:

"We've just contacted Virgin Holidays regarding their communication, which is actually incorrect, so they will be updating asap.

To confirm our new policy, as long as your booking has been made before
25th November 2009, (regardless of whether this has been ticketed or not), you will still be entitled to our current baggage allowance.... "

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb/passengerinformation/baggage/newpolicy.jsp

And before people get all excited, the extra bag allowance in the website if or flight BETWEEN the USA and India, NOT the UK and the USA! :goodvibes

martin1
09-22-2009, 06:29 AM
i like the way they highlighted the BOOKED BEFORE part of it , i wonder how long it will take vh, tcd to update and start telling customers the right information, its been such a disaster obi it shouldnt really come to this , disgrace really all it serves to do is put some people off flying with virgin and that will be bad for business

diddldonna
09-22-2009, 07:48 AM
Can you help?

So i know i have it right, if i book a holiday before 25th November 2009 and its for September next year i will still get the new baggage allowence?

If i book after this date i get the new one which is 1 piece 23kg each person, so a family of 4 can take 4 pieces?

Does this mean i can't have 1 suitcase between me and hubby thats like 30kg i would have to have 2 instead i.e. 15kg each? any help would be great.

Obi Wan Kenobi
09-22-2009, 07:55 AM
Can you help?

So i know i have it right, if i book a holiday before 25th November 2009 and its for September next year i will still get the new baggage allowence?

If i book after this date i get the new one which is 1 piece 23kg each person, so a family of 4 can take 4 pieces?

Does this mean i can't have 1 suitcase between me and hubby thats like 30kg i would have to have 2 instead i.e. 15kg each? any help would be great.

Yes, that is correct.

You can have one case of 30Kg between you, however you will have to pay 30 each way for the case being over 23KG in weight, so an extra 60. Any bag over 32Kg will not be accepted. So, if you have one bag at 24KG, its over the 23Kg, so you have to pay the 30.

orangetiggs
09-22-2009, 07:57 AM
yopu cant combine your allowances, we tried that last year for our wedding and had to repack, each person gets 23kg each so I suggest you take 2 cases one for each of you

if you can get it all in one and its 23kg or under thats fine

diddldonna
09-22-2009, 08:03 AM
Thanks for clearing that up, i have quit heavy suitcases already and think i will get us all a smaller/lighter case each for next year. I always worry about going over, but my son plans on going with no clothes and buying lots when he gets there, lol hes out grown the ones from our 2007 holiday and he was a little upset when i put them out for charity.

zippy99
09-22-2009, 08:59 AM
We went out with 4 cases at 17, 18, 19 & 20kg for the four of us. Two big cases and two small ones that fit inside the big ones when empty.

Came back with 18, 19, 21, 21 - (I blame all the halloween candy for the increase!)

Even so, we were way under our limits both ways, half our clothes we did not wear (as it was too hot) and I did 4 lots of washing whilst out there. I feel we took way to much stuff aswell.

I know everyone is different but when I saw a family group of 8 with 16 cases checking in ahead of us I was amazed ......aside fromt the stress of moving luggage at the airport how can you need that much stuff.

diddldonna
09-22-2009, 09:31 AM
Thanks Zippy this has really helped, I am going to try and take as little as possible and bring back as much as possible, lol. Last time i brought back several bags of herseys chocolates, lol might not go as crazy this time.

gismo1554
09-22-2009, 10:24 AM
Meant to be booking on the 9th so fingers crossed that's OK

zippy99
09-22-2009, 11:28 AM
Another thing - we took 5 Towels with us - what a waste of space if you are staying on site - we never used them - fresh towels in the Hotel everyday and masses of them for by the pool so we just used them.

The other thing we did - is bottles of shampoo and soaps etc we left behind they only spill in the case and make a mess (although we did manage to fit 14 disney Shampoos and soaps in!! my daughter collected them everyday for he friends!)

Just think about what you really need is all - it can be easy to get carried away.

natalielongstaff
09-22-2009, 11:39 AM
thanks obi :thumbsup2

tony64
09-22-2009, 11:50 AM
so if the cut off date is Nov 25th what is the last date available to book for?
OK I've worked it out Oct 26th I estimate, the Oct half term exactly.

paulh
09-22-2009, 12:25 PM
Just think about what you really need is all - it can be easy to get carried away.

Will you try telling the wife:rotfl2:
Paul

wayneg
09-22-2009, 01:04 PM
Another thing - we took 5 Towels with us - what a waste of space if you are staying on site - we never used them - fresh towels in the Hotel everyday and masses of them for by the pool so we just used them.

The other thing we did - is bottles of shampoo and soaps etc we left behind they only spill in the case and make a mess (although we did manage to fit 14 disney Shampoos and soaps in!! my daughter collected them everyday for he friends!)

Either onsite or offsite you should get fresh towels, every hotel in past 16 years have had fresh towels every day plus pool towels. No matter if we have been in a 15 or 150/night room we haven't needed to waste luggage space with them.

gaylie
09-23-2009, 08:15 AM

If you stay offsite in a private villa all the towels are provided for you also...plus we buy all our shampoo, soaps etc out there and leave them there. but still disgusted at the taking away of the 2nd case of 23kg...thats 1 of the reasons I fly with VA (and that they fly direct from MAN to MCO, as I hate flying)..:)

Tinks1984
09-23-2009, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the info Obi!

Also, does anyone know if we fly out with one case inside the other, but then come back with two, does this go against you? Or is this perfectly allowed? :confused3

Twilight Terror
09-23-2009, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the info Obi!

Also, does anyone know if we fly out with one case inside the other, but then come back with two, does this go against you? Or is this perfectly allowed? :confused3

That's perfectly fine. We do it every year! In fact, we are currently removing the smaller ones and filling them, as well as the big ones, for our return trip tomorrow! As long as your airline allows you to have two bags per person and they are within limit, then it's fine!

Tinks1984
09-25-2009, 06:06 PM
That's perfectly fine. We do it every year! In fact, we are currently removing the smaller ones and filling them, as well as the big ones, for our return trip tomorrow! As long as your airline allows you to have two bags per person and they are within limit, then it's fine!

Thank-you for the reply!

Just checking so that we don't get caught out once we arrive at the airport to come home :scared1:

Twilight Terror
09-25-2009, 06:31 PM
Thank-you for the reply!

Just checking so that we don't get caught out once we arrive at the airport to come home :scared1:

You're welcome. We flight PE so the changes aren't going to effect us in the sense of going with 2 and coming back with 4. However, the new weight limits might :rotfl:

Just remember if you are traveling Economy next year that you will not necessarily be able to do that because you can only have one bag per person, not two. However, if there's two of you and you take one on the way out, and have two for the way back, that will be fine, because you'd be entitled to take two. Does that make sense?

Tinks1984
09-25-2009, 07:09 PM
Yes, that makes sense :)

We're only in economy, but have had our trip booked since Feb 09, travelling May 10. This means we'll only have one case each then? :confused3 Oh I'm still confused over it all :lmao: Damn Virgin for changing their allowance!

Twilight Terror
09-25-2009, 07:16 PM
Yes, that makes sense :)

We're only in economy, but have had our trip booked since Feb 09, travelling May 10. This means we'll only have one case each then? :confused3 Oh I'm still confused over it all :lmao: Damn Virgin for changing their allowance!

As long as you book before November 2009, which you have, then you are entitled to the old luggage allowance. Might be worth having a printout of your booking confirmation with the purchase date highlighted, just in case there is any dispute at the airport.

diddldonna
09-26-2009, 05:32 AM
Okay so i have just booked my holiday through virgin holidays (Yay) so this now means we can have 8 pieces of luggage on economy, am i correct. Will they know this at airport?

martin1
09-26-2009, 09:51 AM
i have seen on other forums that people are getting emails telling them so many different things , several ahve been told by vh that they wont get ticketed till 2 weeks befroe departure so they cant have original allowance, i really dont know what is going on at the minute its a bloody joke

Obi Wan Kenobi
09-26-2009, 10:38 AM
i have seen on other forums that people are getting emails telling them so many different things , several ahve been told by vh that they wont get ticketed till 2 weeks befroe departure so they cant have original allowance, i really dont know what is going on at the minute its a bloody joke

Martin.
Read my first posting at the top of this post.
Its NOT a "bloody joke", its been made clear.
Stop, please spreading nonsense from "other web sites"
Sorry to get techy, but come on, unless you have an actiuual statement from VIRGIN ATLANTIC stating someting different, then don't please post rumours.
Virgin Atlantic have made it clear in their statement, they have made it clear on their web site:- http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb/passengerinformation/baggage/newpolicy.jsp

"Any passenger booked before 25 November 2009, will be entitled to Virgin Atlantic's existing baggage allowance."

I DONT CARE what any third party states, again I will say it; VIRGIN ATLANTIC are the carrier, regardless of what any third party, from Virgin holidays, the DIBB or the guy in the van at the bottom of the street says, only what Virgin Atlantic state is the correct position.

Obi Wan Kenobi
09-26-2009, 10:39 AM
Okay so i have just booked my holiday through virgin holidays (Yay) so this now means we can have 8 pieces of luggage on economy, am i correct. Will they know this at airport?

take your booking confirmation with you with its date on

gismo1554
09-26-2009, 10:40 AM
Is the issue Virgin Holidays then? I'm not 100% sure when Virgin holidays actually books your Virgin flight hence as you said they may only ticket you 2 weeks before the flight so this would be after November.

Is anyone having issues if directly booking?

Obi Wan Kenobi
09-26-2009, 10:46 AM
Is the issue Virgin Holidays then? I'm not 100% sure when Virgin holidays actually books your Virgin flight hence as you said they may only ticket you 2 weeks before the flight so this would be after November.

Is anyone having issues if directly booking?

Contact Virgin Atlantic if you have booked for next year with VH and ask them.

DCLMan
09-26-2009, 12:47 PM
I fly out with Virgin Holidays on the 12th October and booked last October. I received my tickets this morning.

It clearly states that I am only allowed 23kg per person.

Obi Wan Kenobi
09-26-2009, 01:01 PM
I fly out with Virgin Holidays on the 12th October and booked last October. I received my tickets this morning.

It clearly states that I am only allowed 23kg per person.

those tickets are from Virgin holidays and are wrong.
They have been wrong all year.
If you are worried, go onto Virgin Atlantics web site, the actual carrier and login to your flight booking and see what that says

Lisa x
09-26-2009, 01:59 PM
''To confirm our new policy, as long as your booking has been made before
25th November 2009, (regardless of whether this has been ticketed or not), you will still be entitled to our current baggage allowance.... ":goodvibes

Im struggling to understand what is confusing everyone here assuming the OP from Obi (above) has been read..:confused3

Book BEFORE 25 Nov 09 and you get - 3 x 32kg for UC, 2 x 32kg for PE and 2 x 23kg for Economy!

Book AFTER 25 Nov 09 and you get - 3 x 23kg for UC, 2 x 23kg for PE and 1 x 23kg for Economy!

:thumbsup2

Pegasus928
09-26-2009, 02:00 PM
I have been following this thread with interest and am absolutely amazed that despite all the clear indications on VA's website, the emails received by Obi and the experience of others that people still don't know what there luggage allowance is.
Obi is right when he says that you should only go by the facts, and not what others are saying.
After that if you still don't know, or don't believe the advice being offered, then contact VA yourself and follow their advice.

DCLMan
09-26-2009, 02:05 PM
I have been following this thread with interest and am absolutely amazed that despite all the clear indications on VA's website, the emails received by Obi and the experience of others that people still don't know what there luggage allowance is.
Obi is right when he says that you should only go by the facts, and not what others are saying.
After that if you still don't know, or don't believe the advice being offered, then contact VA yourself and follow their advice.

Sorry, but the FACTS as stated on my ticket are 23kg per person. Does this mean I should just ignore everything that Virgin tell me, and assume it's all "wrong"?

disneyday3
09-26-2009, 02:25 PM
Here's an e-mail I recieved from VA last week

Thank you for your email.
From 25th November 2009, we will be changing our checked-in baggage policy. We will be moving to a 'Piece policy' for the whole of the network.

However, any booking ticketed before the 25th November will retain their existing allowance. Whereas, bookings ticketed on or after the 25th November will have the new allowances applied to their bookings.

Having viewed your booking , I can confirm that it has not yet been ticketed. Your travel agent may be able to advise when your ticket number/s will be added to your booking.

We paid for the flights in July for 12/12/09 I am hoping they get ticketed before the 25th

gismo1554
09-26-2009, 03:00 PM
Here's an e-mail I recieved from VA last week

Thank you for your email.
From 25th November 2009, we will be changing our checked-in baggage policy. We will be moving to a 'Piece policy' for the whole of the network.

However, any booking ticketed before the 25th November will retain their existing allowance. Whereas, bookings ticketed on or after the 25th November will have the new allowances applied to their bookings.

Having viewed your booking , I can confirm that it has not yet been ticketed. Your travel agent may be able to advise when your ticket number/s will be added to your booking.

We paid for the flights in July for 12/12/09 I am hoping they get ticketed before the 25th

OK so if for example I purchased tickets on the Virgin Atlantic site for next October before the November change, will they be ticketed straightaway?

disneyday3
09-26-2009, 03:15 PM
:confused3OK so if for example I purchased tickets on the Virgin Atlantic site for next October before the November change, will they be ticketed straightaway?

:confused3 Who knows? :confused3
Even when you pay in full, you don't usually get tickets until a couple of weeks before (if that's what they mean by ticketed) so I would be inclined to say No

But please don't quote me on that
I think at the moment with all the confusion around it's best to contact VA directly, ask for the info in writing and then make sure you keep a copy of it

Twilight Terror
09-26-2009, 03:27 PM
I think you'll find VA generally do e-tickets now. We purchased in June for September, and had e-tickets sent to my email account straight away.

Your tickets our purchased whenever you make that initial booking, so surely it shouldn't matter when your tickets are physically processed and sent out, it's the purchase date that's important.

gismo1554
09-26-2009, 04:11 PM
I think you'll find VA generally do e-tickets now. We purchased in June for September, and had e-tickets sent to my email account straight away.

Your tickets our purchased whenever you make that initial booking, so surely it shouldn't matter when your tickets are physically processed and sent out, it's the purchase date that's important.

Thanks. I was thinking this but wanted confirmaiton as haven't flown with them in awhile!

martin1
09-26-2009, 06:39 PM
Martin.
Read my first posting at the top of this post.
Its NOT a "bloody joke", its been made clear.
Stop, please spreading nonsense from "other web sites"
Sorry to get techy, but come on, unless you have an actiuual statement from VIRGIN ATLANTIC stating someting different, then don't please post rumours.
Virgin Atlantic have made it clear in their statement, they have made it clear on their web site:- http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb/passengerinformation/baggage/newpolicy.jsp

"Any passenger booked before 25 November 2009, will be entitled to Virgin Atlantic's existing baggage allowance."

I DONT CARE what any third party states, again I will say it; VIRGIN ATLANTIC are the carrier, regardless of what any third party, from Virgin holidays, the DIBB or the guy in the van at the bottom of the street says, only what Virgin Atlantic state is the correct position.

obi i am not spreading rumours i have seen what people have been emailed even to the point that someone who i know personally received an email from VIRGIN ATLANTIC telling them that they would only receive 1x23 kgs when they are basically in the same situation as me ( booked with vh going next march , already paid in full) i suggested that they contact va direct and thats what they got told by VIRGIN ATLANTIC so how you can tell me i am spreading rumours is nonsense im afraid i dont like being accused of this when i am only stating what i have heard from someone who spoke to the airline and being told 1 case so how do you explain that? it is confusing for many hundreds of people, i dont like being called a rumour spreader at all

Lizzybear
09-27-2009, 05:57 AM
I think the problem with the internet sometimes is that someone can post something incorrect and it sends others into a panic. I figure out of all the companies that deal with Virgin flights not every single person working for them is going to have the correct info. The website info looks clear on the issue to me so I would go by that.

Obi Wan Kenobi
09-27-2009, 06:34 AM
Sorry, but the FACTS as stated on my ticket are 23kg per person. Does this mean I should just ignore everything that Virgin tell me, and assume it's all "wrong"?

I have explained what to do. You are talking about Virgin Holdays NOT Virgin Atlantic.
Never assume anything.
Go to tha Virgin Atlantic website go to "My booking" and when you bring u-p your booking there is a section "what is my baggage allowance."

this will give you the carriers position on your allowance. Virgin holidays position matters not one jot, they do not fly you, VA do.

Obi Wan Kenobi
09-27-2009, 06:35 AM
obi i am not spreading rumours i have seen what people have been emailed even to the point that someone who i know personally received an email from VIRGIN ATLANTIC telling them that they would only receive 1x23 kgs when they are basically in the same situation as me ( booked with vh going next march , already paid in full) i suggested that they contact va direct and thats what they got told by VIRGIN ATLANTIC so how you can tell me i am spreading rumours is nonsense im afraid i dont like being accused of this when i am only stating what i have heard from someone who spoke to the airline and being told 1 case so how do you explain that? it is confusing for many hundreds of people, i dont like being called a rumour spreader at all

Then instead of winding people up, get your "fiend" to contact Virgin atlantic again, as the statement on their website contradicts the Email they have supposidly recieved. The statement on the website is clear and consice.