PDA

View Full Version : Orlando in February?

sha_sha
09-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Hello,

Just wondering if I could have some of your thoughts please :)

4 of us intend on going to Florida in Feb 2011. We went in August in 2008 and decided it was way too hot. The crowds didn't bother us, so I know if we are to go in feb the crowd situation would be a bonus.

Before making our final decision, I was just wondering if anyone could share what the weather is like in Feb, and what kind of clothes you need to take? Is it still shorts weather? I'm guessing that Feb is 'cold' to the locals, but to us Brits is this an alright time to go? Also is it warm enough to do the waterparks in Feb? We also plan on doing Discovery Cove.

Any Help, or advice would be much appreciated.

:)Thank You:)

orangetiggs
09-10-2009, 09:30 PM
we have been in feb and needed to buy jumpers out here as there was frost in the mornings but some days it was shorts weather.

We are in orlando at the moment and the weather is hot but not unbearable for us and I'm 25 weeks pregnant.

We like coming now as the crowds are low but end of nov is also a good time

We have been in jan as well and again that can be mixed

Pegasus928
09-11-2009, 12:30 AM
We went in February this year and found that it was quite cold - even for us Brits. First couple of mornings we noticed that we were pulling our jackets down over our hands we were so chilly.
I have just had a quick look through the pics we took and on most of them we are wearing jeans and t-shirt. There are some of us in shorts, but as the day wears on we are in fleecy type jackets.
We stayed in a villa and the pool had really good heating, plus we also kept the cover on overnight. This was fine when you were in the pool but it was bloomin cold when you got out.
I also remember a few mornings when we had to defrost the car windows before heading off - which just felt wrong in Florida :scared1:

Alternatively we have also been in March and there was a world of difference in the weather. In all our pics we have shorts and t-shirts on - the only time we needed jackets was in the evenings.

ETA by Mrs Pegasus - I remember the cold mornings and despite all the snow the UK had in February this year there was 2 days when i was actually colder in Florida than it was in the UK :eek: I know this is not normal but worth bearing in mind all the same.

loobylou44
09-11-2009, 02:34 AM
We went in Feb 2003 and had record temps in the 80's everyday! When we went again in 2006 we had frost one morning and we did need fleeces first thing most days but by 11 ish we were in shorts and t-shirts, temps were probably around very high 60's to low 70's. On the up side whatever the weather the queues were really short so we got loads done! We would definitely go in Feb again if we had the opportunity sadly childrens schooling has to take priority at the moment!

cazzie
09-11-2009, 02:46 AM
We have been a couple of times the beginning of Feb and it can be mixed. The mornings and evenings can be cold although one night last year I was still in shorts watching Spectro, that is how mixed it is. For us though it was great being able to walk around the parks without the crowds and flagging in the heat and humidity.

strawberry blonde
09-11-2009, 03:12 AM
We usually go in February because we don't like the weather being too hot. Usually cool early morning and evening but hot in the daytime. Did the waterparks and this Feb , boys got burnt. Typical teenagers....Don't need more cream!
Have found that each year seems to be getting cooler at night. Even took a pair of jeans this year but cropped trousers and strappy tops in the day. SIL wore shorts but a bit too cool for me first thing.
Went half term and did have to queue a bit but week after was walk on in Universal.

Hope this helps. I love the parks being quiet but would like it a few degrees hotter.

JohnnySharp2
09-11-2009, 04:49 AM
Weather in February and early March is unpredictable, could well be on the cool side especially in the morning & evening.
I would pack the odd light jacket/sweater/cardigan - you can always buy hooded fleeces etc from the parks also when you get there.

Pootle
09-11-2009, 05:02 AM
4 of us intend on going to Florida in Feb 2011. We went in August in 2008 and decided it was way too hot. The crowds didn't bother us, so I know if we are to go in feb the crowd situation would be a bonus.

Any Help, or advice would be much appreciated.

:)Thank You:)

I've been quite a few times in Feb .... well in all months actually :) .... and as others have said, weather can be very mixed so it's best to go prepared for all eventualities.

Re the crowd situation though, there is quite a difference between early Feb and late Feb. At the end of the month is President's Day and heaven knows what else (I think some have started Spring Break by then) and the crowds are definitely starting the build up all the way to Easter. It's nothing like Easter of course (horrendous for crowds) but still not the lull you might be expecting.

alibeau
09-11-2009, 06:30 AM
Hi,

Our last two trip have been in Jan 08 and Feb 09.

The weather in Feb this year was beautiful, above average I think. We had temps most days around 26 degrees BUT I don't think this is the norm and we were just very lucky as the weather was perfect..... One day was freezing tho and we were still cold in our jeans and fleeces especially on the tram into the park - brrrrrrrrr......

As the PP's have said, our mornings are chilly and evenings too but in the main we really do like the weather at this time of year. If you are wanting to visit the water parks I think you would just need to be a bit flexible with your plans and just pick the hotter days to go.

We have just come back from Spain and although the high temperatures were great, I couldn't picture myself or my family walking round the parks in that type of heat......

We are hoping to return to WDW next year and are considering Feb again or possibly May, the only reason we are considering May is that we are going to have more 'pool time' and so in May the weather should be a bit more consistent whereas Feb can be hit and miss :confused3

So, yes, I would defo book again to go in Feb......

Ali :goodvibes

PS. I mainly wore t-shirts and 3/4's but I am a bit of a wimp, DH happily wore shorts and t-shirts, as did our girls. We always took a fleece out with us for the evenings and on the odd day, we all wore jeans, so you really have to pack for all seasons!!!!

sha_sha
09-11-2009, 07:33 AM
Thank You for all your replies.

Sooo, I'm guessing just to pack for all waether and see what happens on the day. :laughing:

I have been in May before, and also August. I enjoyed May more than August, but this time just fancied something a bit different.

Thanks once again
:banana:

loobylou44
09-11-2009, 07:40 AM
Just one other plus for Feb is that we only had rain for about one hour on one day of both our two week holidays, so despite it being a little cooler than some months it is deifnitely one of the driest!

PChef
09-11-2009, 03:26 PM
We went in Feb 07 and the weather was great, mostly sunny mid-20s, couple of cooler days. Very odd being in Florida and watching weather channel seeing 10ft snow further North, felt sorry for the reporters!

Spent 2 days at Blizzard Beach, very comfortable temperatures. Swam at resort's outside pool, Americans thought we were mad! Mostly wore crop trs with a fleece or hoody for early starts and late evenings. DH and boys wore shorts most days I think.

Looking at October for our next trip, temps a bit warmer and both waterparks hopefully open!

Paddyshack
09-12-2009, 05:35 AM
I think between all the replies the weather situation has been well covered already. But just to confirm what Pottle says it is worth checking the date of Presidents week and the Daytona 500 which brings a huge ammount of vistors for the week. On the crowd calender the Presidents weeks crowd index peaks at 9 where the weeks either side it is 5/6. Having said that I really enjoyed the week I was there which included Presidents day. Hope this is of some help.

disneyholic family
09-12-2009, 09:14 AM
presidents day is the third monday in february (around the time of washington's birthday)..

when i was a kid, we got the day off from school on washington's birthday itself (feb 22)..
but then they turned it into a monday holiday - the 3rd monday in february...

strawberry blonde
09-12-2009, 10:11 AM
We always hit the malls on Presidents Day. Great sales that week and we did notice prices went up week after.

sha_sha
09-12-2009, 12:15 PM
Thanks for all your help :)

I was aware that presidents week falls into when we are away. Wer'e going for 3 weeks, so I was planning on doing the quiter stuff that week, as in all the shopping and discovery cove etc. :banana:

Is presidents day/week busier than the height of August? :)

disneyholic family
09-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Thanks for all your help :)

I was aware that presidents week falls into when we are away. Wer'e going for 3 weeks, so I was planning on doing the quiter stuff that week, as in all the shopping and discovery cove etc. :banana:

Is presidents day/week busier than the height of August? :)

it's not really presidents day that's the issue.
the crowds build up as you move through february into march.
schools have staggered holidays - some call them winter break, some call them spring break, some call them easter break...
they begin in mid to late february and continue through easter.....but staggered...
so i don't believe you ever have the sort of crowds you have in july or at christmas....
and you definitely don't get the level of crowds in february as in the height of summer..