PDA

View Full Version : VA baggage allowance (2) this bloomin' stinks!

Obi Wan Kenobi
09-10-2009, 01:10 PM
http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb/passengerinformation/baggage/newpolicy.jsp

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

orangetiggs
09-10-2009, 01:19 PM
EXCEPTIONS:
- Passengers travelling in Economy between the USA and India - one additional bag at 23 kilos.

so by the looks of it we still get 2 bags each when going to orlando in economy

Obi Wan Kenobi
09-10-2009, 01:24 PM
EXCEPTIONS:
- Passengers travelling in Economy between the USA and India - one additional bag at 23 kilos.

Not unless you are departing from Mubai in india Orange Tiggs!

Between the USA and India

ALBA
09-10-2009, 01:27 PM
I can't say I'm surprised, I kind of expected this would happen as the recent changes meant there was no difference between PE & Economy.

Alba

paulh
09-10-2009, 01:27 PM
EXCEPTIONS:

sadly no its one bag, the route your looking at is between USA and India,not USA and England
All the hot air generated by branson regarding BA doing this would fill one of his balloons.like sheep he has followed the rest
Paul

orangetiggs
09-10-2009, 01:28 PM
oh didnt read it like that! might make us think twice about booking with them for net year now! I only fly virgin but need more than 1 bag esp when the twins come along

orangetiggs
09-10-2009, 01:29 PM
i wonder if you book before 25th nov you still get th 2 pieces in economy?

Obi Wan Kenobi
09-10-2009, 01:32 PM
i wonder if you book before 25th nov you still get th 2 pieces in economy?

If it follows the reduction for pE and UC, then yes, you will

ALBA
09-10-2009, 01:34 PM
oh didnt read it like that! might make us think twice about booking with them for net year now! I only fly virgin but need more than 1 bag esp when the twins come along

It does state that infants now get 1 x 23kg, which is better than before as it used to be 1 x 10kg.

Alba
:)

wideeyes
09-10-2009, 01:34 PM
1 bag!! wow! :eek: I suppose quite a few people would pay the extra.:confused3

Looks like PE is unchanged from the last changes?

I was told I would get the larger allowance with PE next year as I booked before they announced the changes.

anthony2k7
09-10-2009, 01:41 PM
I can't say I'm surprised, I kind of expected this would happen as the recent changes meant there was no difference between PE & Economy.

Alba

yeah makes more sense now - I wonder if they noticed a sudden drop in people booking PE?!

DCLMan
09-10-2009, 01:48 PM
I'm glad I booked our next trip to Florida before this kicked in.

I bet the money VA save on fuel won't be reflected in lower ticket prices.

Grumpy John
09-10-2009, 01:52 PM
Considering Virgin prices are as competitive as any other carrier not sure what the point it

At the end of the day if people dont like the luggage allowance then the easy thing to do is fly with another carrier who does give you 2x23kg luggage allowance

And those carriers are?

eeyorefanuk
09-10-2009, 02:10 PM
So are you saying that if you booked before 25th nov this year for flight next summer you still get 23kg x 2 but if you book after 25th november you only get 23kg????

DCLMan
09-10-2009, 02:18 PM
So are you saying that if you booked before 25th nov this year for flight next summer you still get 23kg x 2 but if you book after 25th november you only get 23kg????

Virgin Atlantic will be changing it's check-in baggage policy to a 'Piece System' across the entire network for all tickets booked from 25 November 2009.

The way I read is that if you book before 25 November then yes you get 2 bags.

As you have booked before that date you have agreed to VA's terms and conditions and they are changing them for bookings after that date, effectively changing their T's and C's.

Obi Wan Kenobi
09-10-2009, 02:19 PM
Considering Virgin prices are as competitive as any other carrier not sure what the point it

At the end of the day if people dont like the luggage allowance then the easy thing to do is fly with another carrier who does give you 2x23kg luggage allowance

And those carriers are?
Only Grumpy John could justify a Ryanair style extra tax.
The whole point was that Virgin put themselves above the Charters and the other scheduled airlines with their "superior service" and many (obviously not you Grumpy) went for Virgin because of their generous baggage allowance in UC/PE and Economy.

Other airlines?

Icelandair
BMI
Lufthansa
Northworst/KLM
US Airways
Air Canada
to name a few

Obi Wan Kenobi
09-10-2009, 02:23 PM

from further down the page:

*Any passenger holding a ticket, booked and ticketed before 25 November 2009, will be entitled to Virgin Atlantic's existing baggage allowance.

Emphasis on "holding a ticket booked and ticketed", not booked and not paid

wickesy
09-10-2009, 02:41 PM
DTD check-in still trumps large baggage allowance for me. :cool: Although BA's on-demand entertainment system is coming up fast on the outside.

Steve and Sarah
09-10-2009, 02:42 PM
There is now simply nothing to make you chose VS over a charter.

Virgin should have been brave and used the present situation to disitnugish themselves from the rest. Instead they have chosen to cheapen their product and we will have think twice about going with them again.

If we are thinking this (Previously proud to fly the Virgin flag - travelling 3 or 4 times a year, every year to the US and back for the last 7 years) then the casual traveller will certainly think twice.

Argh......Rant over now.

wideeyes
09-10-2009, 02:45 PM
DTD check-in still trumps large baggage allowance for me. :cool: Although BA's on-demand entertainment system is coming up fast on the outside.

For me it is the direct flight from Man to MCO that makes us book with them. I want to fly to MCO so they are our only option.

paulh
09-10-2009, 03:10 PM
There is now simply nothing to make you chose VS over a charter.

V.

As with all the scheduled airlines you will be still allowed a decent sized carry on
with virgin 6kg with ba any weight as long as you can lift it,also size restricted
Paul

london75
09-10-2009, 03:22 PM
Let's all buy golf bags!!!

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb/passengerinformation/baggage/sportsequipment.jsp (http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb/passengerinformation/baggage/sportsequipment.jsp)

Mrs Doubtfire
09-10-2009, 04:05 PM
Let's all buy golf bags!!!

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb/passengerinformation/baggage/sportsequipment.jsp (http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb/passengerinformation/baggage/sportsequipment.jsp)

Don't understand why they do this :confused: Surely it would be fairer to let you take either sports equipment or an extra piece of luggage??

london75
09-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Don't understand why they do this :confused: Surely it would be fairer to let you take either sports equipment or an extra piece of luggage??

I know, and as a parent I could take a car seat and a pushchair as well.

There appears to be no logic to this.

Surely if the prices have gone up (which they definitely have), cabin crew have gone down, number of flights have gone down meaning every flight is more packed full, surely every flight makes more money than ever.

To erode the benefits is just a kick in the bottom as far as I'm concerned. I can see no reason for cost cutting on a full flight other than greed.

~Piglet~
09-10-2009, 04:24 PM
Any passenger holding a ticket, booked and ticketed before 25 November 2009, will be entitled to Virgin Atlantic's existing baggage allowance

Obi, We have e-tickets all paid for with VA, so I assume we will still get 2 x 23kgs each - is that right?

jmagla
09-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Hmm, not impressed, we have used Virgin many times from Manchester, planes are nothing to shout about but I like the convenience of managing the booking/seats etc online and to date with us they have been reliable.

The prices for Summer next year are shocking and for us reducing the luggage allowance is a big minus point, we always use the full allowance on the way back.

Never thought I would say it but Flyglobespan from Glasgow at just over 1800 for 4 of us next August (with 4 bags on way back) is now looking very attractive (we live near Newcastle).

It just seems like we are getting less and less for more 's

Obi Wan Kenobi
09-10-2009, 04:56 PM
Obi, We have e-tickets all paid for with VA, so I assume we will still get 2 x 23kgs each - is that right?

yes Piglet

Chilly
09-10-2009, 05:35 PM
To clarify so if you have booked and paid in full via VA website which means e-tickets prior to Nov 25th your ok?

Obi Wan Kenobi
09-11-2009, 02:03 AM
To clarify so if you have booked and paid in full via VA website which means e-tickets prior to Nov 25th your ok?

Yes chilli, an e-ticket means you have booked and paid for the flight.

I think what VA are trying to say on their page is that if you have booked with, say VH but not yet paid the balance, you don't get the 2 x 23KG

Chilly
09-11-2009, 04:11 AM
Yes chilli, an e-ticket means you have booked and paid for the flight.

I think what VA are trying to say on their page is that if you have booked with, say VH but not yet paid the balance, you don't get the 2 x 23KG

Fab thanks

higgy66
09-11-2009, 04:51 AM
Just to add...

I booked our flights through VH March 08 flying in 2 weeks times.

The tickets and info came through this week and it says we can have 1 bag each x 23kg. I was expecting to be allowed 2 each but hey ho. That still means we could take 4 cases between us and there's no way I could fill that many even if I emptied every cupboard in the house! :rotfl: We'll be going with the usual 2 and will have the option to come home with 3 if we end up buying lots of stuff - which if my husband was reading this he would laugh his head off as I spend LOADS of time looking but I never buy anything! Or if I do it goes back the following week. He says I'm a poor mans dream! :rotfl:

eeyoreangel1
09-11-2009, 04:54 AM
I've just contacted VH and the man on the phone has told me that we will be able to have the 2@23kg allowance for our trip next may:thumbsup2

strawberry blonde
09-11-2009, 04:58 AM
Just been into my local T J Hughes store and they are selling luggage scales with a tape measure for 2.99.

Considering the change in baggage allowance, thought I'd pick one up. Haven't got a holiday booked due to A level and GCSE years but will come in handy when we do go back. :goodvibes

wideeyes
09-11-2009, 05:32 AM
I've just contacted VH and the man on the phone has told me that we will be able to have the 2@23kg allowance for our trip next may:thumbsup2

I got an email from VH saying I can have the old PE allowance, I would get them to email the confimation to you so you can have it at check in.

martin1
09-11-2009, 06:38 AM
we booked with tcd in march to go next feb and we have paid in full so we should get the old allowance of 2x23 kg?? im going to contact tcd/vh to get them to email this to me incase we have any problems with the jobsworths at dtd check in

fairytale
09-11-2009, 07:51 AM
1 bag!! wow! :eek: I suppose quite a few people would pay the extra.:confused3

Looks like PE is unchanged from the last changes?

I was told I would get the larger allowance with PE next year as I booked before they announced the changes.

Wideeyes I think were in the same position as you.

We booked our flights last January for this coming October and was advised by virgin that yes we would get the allowance prior to the change. I have however got that in writing from Virgin to take with me at both check in at MAN and DTD as you never know when your going to come across a "jobs worth" ;)

Andy, Lou & Meg
09-11-2009, 09:29 AM
We are loyal Virgin flyers and never even bother looking at other airlines when flying to Orlando.

Our main reason for this was their service, baggage allowance and DTD check-in.

Well in light of this recent annoucement, the long delay we had when checking in at DTD last week and the below par service its now a certainty that I will be looking at all options when booking my next trip.

Virgin used to be in a diffenet class but now they are just making themselve more and more like the rest of the airlines.

I am one very unhappy customer!!!!

VIRGIN - SORT YOURSELVES OUT OR YOU WILL LOOSE OUT

DCLMan
09-11-2009, 10:38 AM
Allowance for passengers already booked
Does the new policy apply to existing bookings?
Passengers who have made a booking before 25th November 2009, will retain their existing allowance.

Any passenger making a booking on or after 25th November 2009, will have the new allowances applied to their booking.

http://virginatlantic.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/virginatlantic.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=472&p_created=1252571378&p_sid=oWuGwGHj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX 3Jvd19jbnQ9MTYsMTYmcF9wcm9kcz01NSZwX2NhdHM9JnBfcHY 9MS41NSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1

wayneg
09-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Virgin used to be in a diffenet class but now they are just making themselve more and more like the rest of the airlines.

VIRGIN - SORT YOURSELVES OUT OR YOU WILL LOOSE OUT

Been saying this for about 2 years yet they still erode their service. Few years ago we would have paid a premium to fly Virgin, not anymore.

Cyrano
09-11-2009, 01:05 PM
http://virginatlantic.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/virginatlantic.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=472&p_created=1252571378&p_sid=oWuGwGHj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX 3Jvd19jbnQ9MTYsMTYmcF9wcm9kcz01NSZwX2NhdHM9JnBfcHY 9MS41NSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1

Glad we have booked our Economy seats and will have the existing allowance.
Saying that I am sure we would manage to stay within 1 bag if required :)

Lizzybear
09-11-2009, 02:17 PM
I expected this would happen but I agree it was a bad move from a company who sell themselves as being a cut above other scheduled airlines.

zara
09-11-2009, 05:22 PM
come on guys, no one needs 2 bags each for a two week holiday to Florida.
never heard of washing machines....
I've never ever taken two bags...:confused3...

wayneg
09-11-2009, 05:38 PM

2 things with this.

One, many of us go for more than 2 weeks, just returned from 25 nights.
We travel very light, 2 week we could manage with 1 case each no problem but as with this trip included in the 25 nights was a 7 night cruise, including formal night, semi formal, pirate costumes for pirate night, 20 gifts for gift exchange, gifts for our American friends. We kept it to 4 cases between 3 of us but that was a struggle.
Two, who wants to be doing washing on holiday? not us.

Many don't want or need more than 1 bag but its one of the things that has set Virgin apart from the charter airlines.

originalkk
09-11-2009, 05:45 PM
I haven't flown with VA for a number of years and was looking into flying with them next year. I am amazed to see that, as well as now reducing the checked baggage allowance to the US, they still seem to have the old ridiculous 6kg cabin allowance, when other "quality" scheduled airlines ditched this years ago.

I'd be interested to know how people manage to take a laptop and a decent camera with a couple of lenses with them on Virgin and stay within this limit?:confused3

This all makes them the same as a chartered airline, but for much more s.

I guess I'll go with one of the US carriers (or even BA).

Lizzybear
09-12-2009, 03:27 AM
FWIW we've flown Contintental and VA transatlantic and I thought in economy they were comparable, I certainly wouldn't pay more for the sake of flying with VA. I've also flown with MyTravel a couple of times and didn't think they were siginificantly worse than VA economy, slightly less legroom perhaps and less baggage allowance.

Beth__WDW23/6/02
09-12-2009, 05:16 AM

We are a family of 4,and have taken 6 suitcases each trip.
Considering the price we have paid for the past 5 holidays booked with VA, I'd believe the allowance was very good and what swayed us in the past to book with Virgin..We however go for more than 2 weeks,mainly 3 weeks but also have been for 4 weeks.
I guess it goes off each family...Yes there is washing machines but we are on holiday,I dont want to be doing laundry every day,Kids get messy very easily,my girls go through 2-3 clothes changes a day.;)

For us I am glad we aren't going next year but will be looking at other companies for our 2011 trip.

If the worst comes of it we would have to pay the extra allowance,But I find it annoying considering it's been that allowance for year's.:rolleyes1

Head_in_the_clouds
09-12-2009, 05:16 AM
Will any of you be writing to Virgin to let them know your feelings? I think I will as the luggage allowance was one of the reasons we flew with them after encountering jobsworths at Sanford who seemed to be out to get as much money out of us as possible on our return trips - all the medications we are on as a family take up loads of weight/space anyway, this year my Dad literally had a case full of medical equipment and supplies just for himself (he has diabetes and heart problems). I remember flying with Virgin as a kid back in 1996 and it was AMAZING, when we flew with Virgin next in 2008 I was really excited but I ended up being disappointed by how shabby the plane was and how most of the perks of flying VA were gone although having said all that safety is our main priority!

Danauk
09-12-2009, 05:33 AM
I'd be interested to know how people manage to take a laptop and a decent camera with a couple of lenses with them on Virgin and stay within this limit?:confused3

I manage this. DH takes My laptop, charger and lenses which go in my lowepro bag and the DSLR goes in a camera bag which he take as a 2nd piece of hand luggage (in the hand luggage section it says you can do this.) We have done this on 3 trips now with no problems. Then I have a piece of hand luggage with the books, camera chargers, satnav and charger in and my handbag with the ipods, iphones, sunglasses and passports in. We always manage to stick under the limit (I check the bags before we leave), but having said that we also haven't had our hand luggage weighed the past few trips either.

Pegasus928
09-12-2009, 06:21 AM

We are a family of four and on the way out will take 3, maybe 4, cases - and at least 2 of those will have an 'empty' case in them ready for the trip back.
We always ending up spending a small fortune on clothes, gifts and treats for ourselves so it was always nice to know that the allowance was there if we needed it. As we always stay in a villa we do do our own washing - and I can honestly say that the 2 minutes it takes to put in the machine - then the other 5 minutes it takes to put it outside or in the tumble drier - never seems to get in the way of our holiday.

I am amazed to see that, as well as now reducing the checked baggage allowance to the US, they still seem to have the old ridiculous 6kg cabin allowance, when other "quality" scheduled airlines ditched this years ago.

I can never remember a time when I have had any of our hand luggage weighed - either by Virgin or any other airline. As a result we normally have a lot of carry on - albeit in one bag each - and I would say it would easily amount to 30kg between the four of us.

Tinks1984
09-12-2009, 06:24 AM
Hmmmm, I think I'm going to contact Thomas Cook Signature.

We've BOOKED and paid a deposit, but not yet paid off the balance. We're flying with Virgin, so it would be nice to know if we'll get this allowance or not for our family trip next May?

originalkk
09-12-2009, 06:36 AM
I can never remember a time when I have had any of our hand luggage weighed - either by Virgin or any other airline. As a result we normally have a lot of carry on - albeit in one bag each - and I would say it would easily amount to 30kg between the four of us.

I used to do a lot of business travel a few years ago, when the likes of BA had a low cabin bag weight limit in economy. On all European flights, they would always weigh any cabin bag with wheels. Of course, as the US airlines didn't have these weight limits, they would never bother on flights to the US.;)

If an airline is tightening up on baggage generally, and they have a written policy on weights, they may try to tighten this also. Having such a a policy would certainly be a dis-incentive for me to book with them, as I don't really want to rely on their discretion when I get to the airport.

wideeyes
09-12-2009, 07:00 AM

Me ether, though I am not going there again!:rotfl::rotfl:So I will leave it at that!

We are going 3 weeks next year and going PE and I wanted to take just the one case (ONE of the reasons I booked PE) and with the new allowance I will have to take two in future. The economy allowance want effect me as I want ever want to take 4 cases between the two of us, however I can understand why people would be angry when it is one of the reasons they choose VA.

Pegasus928
09-12-2009, 02:40 PM
Me ether, though I am not going there again!:rotfl::rotfl:So I will leave it at that!

:lmao: It's probably for the best :goodvibes

disneyholic family
09-12-2009, 03:06 PM
2 things with this.

One, many of us go for more than 2 weeks, just returned from 25 nights.
We travel very light, 2 week we could manage with 1 case each no problem but as with this trip included in the 25 nights was a 7 night cruise, including formal night, semi formal, pirate costumes for pirate night, 20 gifts for gift exchange, gifts for our American friends. We kept it to 4 cases between 3 of us but that was a struggle.

Many don't want or need more than 1 bag but its one of the things that has set Virgin apart from the charter airlines.

as others have noted, it's not the travel out that's the problem, it's the return when we're loaded down with our many many many purchases.

Just the shoes we buy for DH in america take up an entire suitcase (he wears size 15 shoes :eek: )
and all his new clothes take up another case or two...

we've left the states with 10 suitcases for the 4 of us,
though we'd only filled 2 suitcases on the way there.... :scared1: :scared1: :scared1:

talk about power shopping... :rolleyes:

of course, we're a special case, but still, many people do lots of shopping and need that second bag to cart it all back..

Natasha&Matt
09-12-2009, 03:17 PM
Hmmmm, I think I'm going to contact Thomas Cook Signature.

We've BOOKED and paid a deposit, but not yet paid off the balance. We're flying with Virgin, so it would be nice to know if we'll get this allowance or not for our family trip next May?

I called them earlier too Rachel, they said we will still get the 2 bag allowance but im not sure i would believe that right now might try again in a few month see what they say and then maybe get written confirmation from them x

maznorm
09-12-2009, 03:52 PM
Absolutely appalling. Virgin have just lost themselves a customer. We used to fly with Virgin for the service, the luggage allowance and the dtd drop off. On our last trip with them (2007), we found the service to be below par. The response we received from them concerning this to be simply inadequate and the further response from our higher level complaint to be completely unhelpful and quite simply attempting to justify our treatment. However, we felt we should continue to support one of the very few airlines that still offered what we consider to be a reasonable luugage allowance. Now that Virgin have cheapened their standards but almost doubled their costs, we can no longer justify that loyalty.

As for all of you people who are suggesting laundry instead of complaining about a lesser luggage service, well.

Firstly, I have very little desire to waste my holiday stuck in some dark, dingy laundry room rather than enjoying my time with my family.

Secondly, doing laundry would do very little to reduce the amount of clothes, shoes and toys we bring back with us.

Thirdly, we don't get to do this every year. We go to Florida once every 3 years or so. We like to stock up, particularly on kids clothes.

Fourthly, we flew First Choice Premium once. The luggage allowance was something like 20k, one case each. The only thing that has ever stopped us flying Premium with them again (bearing in mind that their premium was roughly the same cost as Virgin economy) was the poor luggage allowance. I think it's time to look at them again.

What happened, Virgin? You used to be cool.

Melcatfish
09-12-2009, 05:09 PM
What happened, Virgin? You used to be cool.

they overspent on their advert that is playing on every channel so are trying to rake it back a bit in excess baggage charges!

Mel
x

disneybarbie
09-12-2009, 05:12 PM
We booked tickets in March this year for December trip... really hoping the 2x 23kg baggage is still applicable as I was planning on a lot of Christmas shopping while in WDW!!

In July, my suitcase was 22.5kg on the way out and 27kg on the way home.. (:scared1: buying too much fabulous Disney merchandise, I guess!) so we had to do a quick 'repacking' at the Virgin DTD check-in :laughing:
I couldn't help thinking it would've been easier taking 2 suitcases, weighing much less each ;)

Barbie princess: x

wideeyes
09-12-2009, 05:13 PM
:lmao: It's probably for the best :goodvibes

:rotfl::thumbsup2

Tinks1984
09-12-2009, 05:15 PM
I called them earlier too Rachel, they said we will still get the 2 bag allowance but im not sure i would believe that right now might try again in a few month see what they say and then maybe get written confirmation from them x

Oooo you're a little star Tasha! :goodvibes

I'll keep my eye on them too, contact them again maybe just before the November deadline and I'll let you know what they say :) x

Ware Bears
09-12-2009, 05:38 PM
We booked tickets in March this year for December trip... really hoping the 2x 23kg baggage is still applicable as I was planning on a lot of Christmas shopping while in WDW!!

You will be OK. I contacted VA as I was concerned about the word 'ticketed' (we booked with VH) although DH thought I was just being paranoid. I have had an email back to say it will be honoured but I am going to print it and take it with me to be on the safe side.

heatherbelle
09-13-2009, 02:30 AM
Virgin weighed our hand luggage when we flew last month, i was quite shocked, as they have never done this before. Fortunately it was well under the limit.

There are three of us, we manage with 2 cases, travel very light, as I love doing my washing and ironing over there. I usually do it in the afternoon, whilst sitting around the pool.

When I come home, I just put all the clothes away and only have to wash a few bits.

I can't stand taking loads of clothes and then having to wash it all when you come home.

I can understand those peeps points of view who go for three weeks or more and have a cruise too.

Mrs Dazzle
09-13-2009, 03:09 AM
I'm going to repeat my comments on Virgin's new allowance, I do every time if crops up:flower3:

When we travel to Florida, it's not so bad because we only need a few clothes and I'm one of the wash as we go types because I can't bear to have to face piles of it when we get back home:laundy:

However, we also ski in the US and this means because of the size restiction of bags -v- winter clothes, footwear, ski clothing etc. we all need to take 2 x 23kg bags each (plus all our ski equipment). There are normally 8 of us (4 adults, 4 teenagers) so this means 16 cases/large holdalls, let alone hand luggage.

We use two cars when over there for convenience.

Even with a luxury size car, the trunks in the States just aren't big enough for 8 cases plus ski equipment.

It's becoming a nightmare and I can feel the stress levels rising even thinking about our next ski trip:scared1:

We're flying American Airlines in October and they're starting to charge $50 for extra bags over your one alloowance, but wenaren't affected since we booked the seats before the cut-off date so get our 2 bags still. We're also only going for a quicky - 9 nights - down to the gulf coast so won't need that many clothes. However, Xmas shopping was going to be high on the list so will need to pack carefully coming home:)

This new baggage allowance been coming for quite a while, there's nothing much we can do about it. But when you have to travel in the school holidays (I work in a school) there's never ANY hope of getting cheap flights, so now Virgin would have to offer something seriously special for me to consider flying with them again and we've been loyal to Virgin for 10 years, over 36 flights with them:sad2: to different parts of the world.

mushumadness
09-13-2009, 03:26 AM
Hiya

we have 2 holidays booked

one through virgin and one through charter travel with virgin, fr march and october 2010, because they are already booked doe that mean they baggage will be honored even though they are not while next year

I also read about virgin introducing the ability to book extra bagge? is this happening?

thanks in advance to anyone who knows

oh and one more thing

I read that you can only take one car seat or buggy for each adult? we will need to take 2 car seats and a double buggy will we have to pay?

thanks anna

mushumadness
09-13-2009, 03:32 AM
from further down the page:

*Any passenger holding a ticket, booked and ticketed before 25 November 2009, will be entitled to Virgin Atlantic's existing baggage allowance.

Emphasis on "holding a ticket booked and ticketed", not booked and not paid

hiya so if its booked and not ticketed it doesnt count right?

wish I hadnt booked virgin now

Obi Wan Kenobi
09-13-2009, 03:46 AM
Mushumadness,
I would contact Virgin to get confirmation officially, but yes, my interpretation is that if it is not booked and paid off by that date you get the new reduced allowance.

You can book an extra 23Kgs for 32 online or 30 at the airport.
HOWEVER if you go over the 23Kgs they will cahrge you for 24-32kg 30 on top

mushumadness
09-13-2009, 03:49 AM
thanks obi

Im guessing the pushchair car seat thing is going to involve a charge too.

typical, serves me right for booking through virgin holidays!

Obi Wan Kenobi
09-13-2009, 03:57 AM
I manage this. DH takes My laptop, charger and lenses which go in my lowepro bag and the DSLR goes in a camera bag which he take as a 2nd piece of hand luggage (in the hand luggage section it says you can do this.) We have done this on 3 trips now with no problems. Then I have a piece of hand luggage with the books, camera chargers, satnav and charger in and my handbag with the ipods, iphones, sunglasses and passports in. We always manage to stick under the limit (I check the bags before we leave), but having said that we also haven't had our hand luggage weighed the past few trips either.

DanaUK,
You must be talking about Upper Class hand lugagge allowance?

The Virgin pages state:-

"Upper Class

Upper Class passengers may take two pieces of hand baggage onboard. Individual dimensions not to exceed 23 x 36 x 56cm, (approx 9 x 14 x 22 inches) and 16kg (35lbs) in combined weight, with no bag weighing more than 12kg. This can include 1 garment bag, 20cm (8ins) thick when folded, not exceeding 12kg in weight.

Economy and Premium Economy

Economy and Premium Economy passengers may take 1 piece of hand baggage on board. Individual dimensions not to exceed 23 x 36 x 56cm, (approx 9 x 14 x 22 inches) and 13lb/6kg in weight."

It then goes on to say:

"In addition to the cabin baggage allowance, the following personal items may be carried on board:

A handbag, pocketbook or purse i.e. which is appropriate to normal travelling dress and is not being used as a container for the transportation of articles which could otherwise be regarded as baggage.
An overcoat or wrap.
An umbrella (pointed or/and sharp prohibited) or walking stick.
A small camera and/or pair of binoculars.
A reasonable amount of reading matter for the flight.
Infants food for consumption in flight.
A small amount of duty free goods.
Personal headphones may be used as long as they are fitted with the standard 3.5mm jack."

Thats not an DSLR/SLR with all its gubbins. Get a jobsworth on the checkin and you could be in trouble

Obi Wan Kenobi
09-13-2009, 03:59 AM
thanks obi

Im guessing the pushchair car seat thing is going to involve a charge too.

typical, serves me right for booking through virgin holidays!

Not the way I read it:

"Infants are entitled to one piece of hand luggage weighing no more than 6kg. This is over and above the buggy or bassinet or car seat, which are carried free of charge."

they also in the new world get their own baggage allowance of 1 X 23Kgs

mushumadness
09-13-2009, 04:03 AM
hiya

thanks again obi its just I read in the virgin answers

Passengers travelling with children or infants, will be entitled to take one fully collapsible pushchair or a car seat in addition to their free checked baggage allowance.

Infants not entitled to a seat, are now entitled to one piece of checked luggage weighing no more than 23 kilos. They are also entitled to one piece of hand luggage weighing no more than 6 kilos.

it was the or that worried me lol

wideeyes
09-13-2009, 05:32 AM
I would email VH as when I did they emailed me & said that VA confimed I would get the old allowance.

Mrs Doubtfire
09-13-2009, 06:11 AM
I would email VH as when I did they emailed me & said that VA confimed I would get the old allowance.

Hi - could you let me know the email address as I booked a while ago for next year with VH & would like to confirm if we will still get the 2 bags. If I have a reply then like others I will take it to the airport incase of dispute. Thanks :thumbsup2

Obi Wan Kenobi
09-13-2009, 06:26 AM
Hi - could you let me know the email address as I booked a while ago for next year with VH & would like to confirm if we will still get the 2 bags. If I have a reply then like others I will take it to the airport incase of dispute. Thanks :thumbsup2

Contact Virgin ATLANTIC direct.
the rerason i say this and not Virgin holidays is that Virgin Atlantic is the carrier, not Virgin holidays.
Virgin Holidays could tell you that you can take as many bags as you like for example, however it is the Carriers decision as to what is allowed, not the travel company.
Not much use turning up at the airport with a letter from Virgin holidays if Virgin atlantic then say no, they are wrong.

They are two seperate companies, regardless of have Virgin in the name, the baggage allowance rules are set by Virgin atlantic NOT by VH

juliebro
09-13-2009, 07:23 AM
US Airways have also introduced restrictions on 2nd bags, effective from 4th November, unless you bought your ticket before 26th August.

Fortunately, we have already booked our flights for next year, but it will obviously have an impact when we decide on carriers for subsequent trips.

maznorm
09-13-2009, 08:23 AM
Ok, so now what. Virgin are overpriced and unreasonable. It seems to me that everyone else is just unreasonable. I cannot find anything out about flights to Florida with Thompson or First Choice. TCD have told me that we would get the 2 bags at 23kgs each but they don't know if that will change.
I also thought that they did the DTD drop off, but was told that they do not offer this.

I just don't know who to fly with now. Do I fly with Virgin and get ripped off just to get the DTD drop off? Do we fly with First Choice and fly premium but not know how much extra we would pay for an additional case with them?

Right now, I am at the point where I am rethinking the whole thing and not bothering at all.

Danauk
09-13-2009, 08:25 AM
DanaUK,
You must be talking about Upper Class hand lugagge allowance?

No I was talking about the economy allowance. They have always allowed my DSLR camera to be counted as seperate. It is in the smallest bag possible with no extra lens cases attached and they have always said that was OK. I have travelled this was on 3 trips now (2 in Economy 1 in PE). My extra lenses go in my lowepro bag with my laptop.

wickesy
09-13-2009, 08:37 AM
I cannot find anything out about flights to Florida with Thompson or First Choice.

Thompson baggage allowance is here (http://www.thomson.co.uk/editorial/legal/baggage-allowance.html).

First Choice is here (http://www.firstchoice.co.uk/help/luggage/baggage-allowance/).

Find an airline that gives you the allowance you want, or find the cheapest. Simples.

wideeyes
09-13-2009, 10:59 AM
Contact Virgin ATLANTIC direct.
the rerason i say this and not Virgin holidays is that Virgin Atlantic is the carrier, not Virgin holidays.
Virgin Holidays could tell you that you can take as many bags as you like for example, however it is the Carriers decision as to what is allowed, not the travel company.
Not much use turning up at the airport with a letter from Virgin holidays if Virgin atlantic then say no, they are wrong.

They are two seperate companies, regardless of have Virgin in the name, the baggage allowance rules are set by Virgin atlantic NOT by VH

good point, VH contacted VA about my question so probably quicker getting a reply from VA too.

I was worried as I booked out of the 11 month booking window which doesnt open till after the new luggage allowance comes in to place.

PJB71
09-13-2009, 03:50 PM
Hi Zara

We sure do.:eek:

We travel as a family of 6 and usually go for 3 weeks over Christmas.

We have 2 children in our party so have christmas presents and it is also our DD birthday whilst we are there, so we have birthday gifts also as well as bringing presents home for family.

Certainly won't we using VA next year if that is the case.:mad::mad:

Come on Virgin sort yourselves out:mad::mad:

DCLMan
09-13-2009, 04:28 PM

It depends what you are doing for those 2 weeks. We are going for 17 nights, including a 4 night DCL cruise for which we need extra clothes and MNSSHP for which we are dressing up.

Add in all the stuff you bring back and it can easily add up to 2 cases per person.