PDA

View Full Version : dining credit question, sort of...

kt_mom
09-09-2009, 03:25 PM
We are going in a little less than two weeks and we'll be there at the same time as my parents, sister and niece. They are on the dining plan. DD6 is flying down with them on Saturday and DH and I are flying down Sunday morning.

Since DD is going down with them they just added her to their package so she could get the free dining with them.

We are planning to eat most meals together. At least the TS that we have planned for sure. My mom is really stressing out about how the credits are going to work.

Sine DH and I are not on the dining plan and will be requesting our own check if we wanted to pay OOP for a meal of hers we should be able to do that right? My mom is saying that they will make DD use her dining credit for that meal. I say that they can't really do that. Hypothetically she could be a different child then the one they have on their plan and the additional child on their plan could be somewhere else at the time and we would pay oop for the child with us.

Of course there really is no point in doing that because we couldn't sit down to a meal just the three of us and DD be the only one at the table on the dining plan so it doesn't really matter.

I'm not really sure what my question is. I guess I'm just looking for feedback on my logic on this. THe reason the whole "discussion" started was because I emailed her my copy of the itenerary/dining ADR's on which I had listed out the prices of all the meals and the best way to use the dining credits. It wasn't a set in stone thing just sort of my thoughts on paper. But she was stressed out becuase I had highlited a buffet to use the last credit on instead of 50's. But looking at it from a child's price point of view, the buffet is a better use of the credit. But in the end it's only a difference of a few buck and I can use the credit either way. For the adult prices 50's is a beter use the credit since you get dessert.

TDC Nala
09-09-2009, 03:52 PM
You can pay OOP for any meal you want for anyone you want. It doesn't matter whether or not she also has the dining plan, you could still pay OOP for her meal. Just tell your server which persons at the table are paying cash and which are using dining credits. Like you did point out, there's no way to know if the child at the table is the child on their reservation, and the server shouldn't ask.

What you couldn't do is have your parents or daughter use their meal credits to pay for a meal for you, but you can pay OOP for whoever you want.

kt_mom
09-09-2009, 04:04 PM
So could I then in turn use a dining credit at the buffet for just DD even though no one else would be using their dining credits?

My mom said she read somewhere that it said that if dining credits are used then everyone at the table on the plan has to use them. I've never done the DDP so I only know a littel from what I've read here. I was just trying to get the best use of the credits that DD will have. Althought the $3 or $4 difference in those two meals really isn't that big of a deal and I don't want to make anything more confusing then it needs to be. Now I'm just curious what exactly is possible.

TDC Nala
09-09-2009, 04:11 PM
Your daughter may use her own dining credits anywhere, just tell the server she is paying with a dining credit. She will have to have a key card from the room she is assigned to in order to use the credits.

Your mother is incorrect. Not everyone at one table who is on the dining plan has to use all their credits at the same time. All you do is specify to the server who is paying with cash and who is paying with dining credits. As long as you don't try to use MORE dining credits than you have people on the plan, you'll be fine, but you can certainly use LESS credits than you have people on the plan.

kt_mom
09-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Thank you!

That helps a lot. My mom is very concerned about me messing up their credits by trying to use DD's to the best advantage for us. And the best use of kids credits is not always the same as the best use of adult credits.

The kids price for the buffet in question is like $11.99 and the kids meal at 50's is only 7.50.

Pumbaa_
09-09-2009, 07:20 PM
you are on the right track. tell mom not to worry, it can work exactly as you are planning

have a great time!

kt_mom
09-09-2009, 09:42 PM
Thanks again! Having not done the dining plan myself before I wan't totally sure of all the ins and outs of it. They have done it before and I didn't want to argue something that wasn't correct. I obviously don't want to cause problems on their end, but at the same time I want to use our DD's credits the best way we can.

We're lucky that it worked out for her to go down ahead of time with them and be on their plan to begin with so I didn't want to argue over something that wasn't right to begin with.