PDA

View Full Version : Don't know whether to do a split stay?

expatcat
09-05-2009, 04:21 AM
We went to WDW for the first time in January this year and loved it! We are going back for a week in August 2010 with a 5 year old and 2 year old and will get free dining (but not for 2 year old!).
Because of the offer at Saratoga Springs we were originally planning to stay in a 1BR villa with free dining. But I've always really wanted to stay at Beach/Yacht Club. We can't afford to stay there the whole week but I have thought about staying 5 nights at SSR with free dining and then 2 nights at BC and just pay for meals. Now I don't know what to do! Opinions please!

wayneg
09-05-2009, 05:08 AM
Being the thrifty person I am I would stay at OKW or SSR and get free DDP the whole stay but I know others who move resorts.
This trip we stayed 16 nights at OKW, cost 91/night, our free food averaged out at $150/night or 92/night. If we do it again next year it will probably be for 21 nights, max you can do, then stay offsite for remaining 4 nights.

jtlover
09-05-2009, 05:16 AM
We did a split stay 3 years ago 5 at AKL and 2 at GF and loved it.

EvertonCJ
09-05-2009, 06:01 AM
We tried to do a split stay holiday for August this year, but Disney would not allow us to do this and get the free DDP. So we stayed at SSR for the whole 17 nights instead. Wonderful resort. You will love it if you decide to go there. SSR is superb value for August next year if you book your accomodation direct through Disney. Wayne, who did you book OKW through?

wayneg
09-05-2009, 06:07 AM
Wayne, who did you book OKW through?

Booked with Disney.co.uk, 91/night this August, gone up to 100/night for next August. If only they would do free internet, I would not hesitate and be booking again without question but if we stay 21 nights thats over $200 for internet access on top, this year cost me $140, annoys me so much.

JohnnySharp2
09-05-2009, 06:46 AM
I would definitely do the split stay.

I know SSR is a good price and still fairly new but Beach Club in my opinion is a better location. If you have the opportunity to check out different resorts I would take it.

If you stay at both resorts you get to sample 2 different areas both with their plus points, that alone is worth doing it.
For me it's as much about where the Disney resort is situated as much as anything else.
Also whilst I am not necessarily saying this would happen you have to bear in mind SSR is a big resort and quite spread out, if you do not get your first choice building within the resort 7 nights may seem a long time.

I would go for the 5/2 split personally, sounds a good idea for your needs.:thumbsup2

Hilary
09-05-2009, 06:59 AM
If it was purely a question of "to split or not to split" then my vote would be very firmly in the "split" camp - we always stay in at least two different resorts, often three, even if we're only there for a week. For us, it's like having a couple of different holidays rolled into one, and makes the whole trip feel longer :thumbsup2.

However, with the free dining added to your quandry, I think you just have to decide whether you're happy to 'waste' some potential free meals for the option of staying in another resort for a couple of days :)

expatcat
09-05-2009, 08:29 AM
Thanks so much for all the responses, I feel like I'm getting both sides of the equation! :)
The pool at BC is the real attraction for me, and I figure in August we will probably spend a lot of time swimming.
If we do split, our 7 day tickets would be on our first KTTW card - would we keep that for entry to the parks, and then have a second card for our stay at BC?

wayneg
09-05-2009, 08:48 AM
Thanks so much for all the responses, I feel like I'm getting both sides of the equation! :)
The pool at BC is the real attraction for me, and I figure in August we will probably spend a lot of time swimming.
If we do split, our 7 day tickets would be on our first KTTW card - would we keep that for entry to the parks, and then have a second card for our stay at BC?

Although BC has a great pool area if you are there for only 7 days would you get to use it that much for the extra cost? wouldn't you be better going to a water park included in your ticket free and staying at SSR with free DDP?
Also changing hotels is time consuming, for me 7 days is not enough to be moving hotels but we hate moving even on long hols.

Your tickets would be on your original KTTW, maybe they could tranfer them to your new one if you moved. We used ours no problems last month after the cruise.

expatcat
09-05-2009, 09:31 AM
I think my husband would agree with you Wayne - he will think it is too much hassle to move hotels and won't hear of the extra expense to stay the whole 7 nights at BC, particularly as we would get a 1BR at SSR!
I might have to save the BC for another trip sadly.

JohnnySharp2
09-05-2009, 09:43 AM
I think my husband would agree with you Wayne - he will think it is too much hassle to move hotels and won't hear of the extra expense to stay the whole 7 nights at BC, particularly as we would get a 1BR at SSR!
I might have to save the BC for another trip sadly.

There are some great photos on the resorts FAQs, but Stormalong Bay at BCV looks fantastic and having looked around in 2006 hasn't lost any of it's appeal.
For me it's the cost that's the issue - I am not a big fan of the disney water parks and probably in the minority when I say I don't actually think they are that good for kid's. I don't feel you can actually compare a day at a water park with the resort pool at where you are staying, they are totally different experiences for me, the only thing in common is water and sand. :rolleyes:

I don't particularly like swapping hotels either, mainly for our son's needs, but even though SSR is great value for money 7 nights there would be too long..........for me anyway, but that's just my opinion.
If you feel the financial side of it is okay - I still vote for the 5/2, the location of the Beach Club is great as you have the Boardwalk, EPCOT within walking distance.
With the cost of holidays getting out of control it may be time to get your dream holiday now rather than wait?

*as a footnote I should add a 3/2 split with BCV and Grand Floridian for next August we have just been quoted over 1200 and that includes AAA discounts* (insert appropriate shock smiley here).