PDA

View Full Version : Miles and more (or is it money?)

scojos
09-04-2009, 04:01 PM
i have seen several posts from flight gurus (wayneg and obi wan kenobi amongst others:goodvibes) stating they can get "good" deals on m+m, could some one pls explain to me what this is and how it works? are these airmiles a la tesco cc - or is it a different system?
thanks
tracy

wayneg
09-04-2009, 05:40 PM
http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb/frequentflyer/spendmiles/index.jsp

You join Virgins Flying Club, when you take a Virgin flight they give you miles on your account, usually about 8,000 for a return flight to Orlando(sometimes half depending what the flight code is, or more if you are in UC) you can also gain points many other ways, using Virgins credit card, booking hire cars, buying Virgin wines etc.
To get a miles and money flight you only need to use 2,000 of your miles to get a discount(more in other classes)
If you have lots of miles then you can get free flights or upgrades.
Over a 2 year period we saved about 5,000 using our miles but recently the offers have not been there for us so we now have about 200,000 waiting to spend.

orangetiggs
09-04-2009, 09:09 PM
like to add its 2000 miles per flight

wayneg
09-04-2009, 09:17 PM
like to add its 2000 miles per flight

Not quite understanding what you are saying but I am up late.:goodvibes
You have to spend 2,000 miles pp to get a miles a money return flight, you can't book miles and money one way.

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb/frequentflyer/spendmiles/milesplusmoney/index.jsp

orangetiggs
09-04-2009, 09:23 PM
yes meant to say per person!!! tired from all the orlando shopping I done today!

Hilary
09-05-2009, 05:11 AM
Not sure if you meant Virgin M+M specifically, but there are also miles / miles + money / cash only options with AirMiles.

We collect AirMiles mainly by using credit cards that award them and over many (very many ;) ) years have used them to pay for not only flights but hotels, car hire, and days out in the UK. Years ago AirMiles used to offer only BA flights, but now there are many more options (including Virgin) so we just look for the best deals and best fit for our requirements, whether it's with Virgin Miles or AirMiles (or neither!).

( ... and if we buy M+M Virgin flights, we pay with our Tesco cc to earn AirMiles ;) )

Mrs Dazzle
09-05-2009, 06:30 AM
Not sure if you meant Virgin M+M specifically, but there are also miles / miles + money / cash only options with AirMiles.

We collect AirMiles mainly by using credit cards that award them and over many (very many ;) ) years have used them to pay for not only flights but hotels, car hire, and days out in the UK. Years ago AirMiles used to offer only BA flights, but now there are many more options (including Virgin) so we just look for the best deals and best fit for our requirements, whether it's with Virgin Miles or AirMiles (or neither!).

( ... and if we buy M+M Virgin flights, we pay with our Tesco cc to earn AirMiles ;) ) Snap:thumbsup2

We've just picked up flights into Miami (via NewYork) for October half-term for 5800 Airmiles plus 260 each. The cheapest indirect flight I'd find for our dates (22-31st October) were 450, with direct coming in at a shocking 800. We had exactly the same two October's ago when we went for a flying visit.

Just my DD and I visited New York for her 16th in April and we flew PE with VA using Miles - but they still cost us 400 for all the taxes, fuel surcharge etc. But 400 for PE flights were a great bargain:woohoo:

There's a lot of choice out there

scojos
09-05-2009, 09:17 AM
thanks guys, so airmiles using tesco cc are the same as m + m miles, they are not different?
sorry, bit confused
(having a blond day!)
tracy

wayneg
09-05-2009, 09:21 AM
Different schemes.
Virgin flying club https://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb/frequentflyer/index.jsp
Airmiles http://www.airmiles.co.uk/
And Tesco clubcard http://www.tesco.com/clubcard/clubcard/

heatherbelle
09-05-2009, 01:34 PM
You collect Tesco clubcard points and these can be converted to Airmiles, although the conversion rate is pretty poor. Any taxes that are due on the flight, you pay with your Tesco credit card which in turn earn you more clubcard points to convert to airmiles. Or you could have a Virgin Flying club CC and earn flying club miles.

If you book a VA flight using airmiles, you will also then earn miles under the Virgin Flying club and when you have enough of those, you can have either an upgrade, a free companion flight (20000) miles, or a free flight (60,000 miles), or do a M+M for 2000 miles.

castanea1985
09-05-2009, 02:43 PM
We have had some fantastic deals with m+m (Virgin)

Just to give you an idea of savings:

We're back in 2 months ( 6 Nov - 21 Nov) and we paid 290 using m+m at the end of May.

Then my DS wanted to come with us in July and there were no m+m left, we paid 460 for his ticket.

Last week, our DS invited his friend to join us and he has just paid 544 for his ticket!

So, it just goes to show its worth keeping an eye out all the time for flight prices!

Tracy xx

mollies_mum
09-06-2009, 09:57 AM
Can I please just ask one quick question...
I've booked my trip with Virgin Holidays already, if I join the flying club now can I have these points added after I've flown in October 2010?
From what I read on the website you can have your points added after you've flown but I just wanted to check as this is something that I think will be really good for us in the future,

heatherbelle
09-06-2009, 11:42 AM
Can I please just ask one quick question...
I've booked my trip with Virgin Holidays already, if I join the flying club now can I have these points added after I've flown in October 2010?
From what I read on the website you can have your points added after you've flown but I just wanted to check as this is something that I think will be really good for us in the future,

Yes

If you go into manage my booking on the VH website, you should then be able to register the flying club account numbers somewhere on there. You will be awarded the miles once you have taken the flight.

wayneg
09-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Register 1 person first, then join the other members of the family thru Miles More Friends http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/us/frequentflyer/miles_morefriends/index.jsp
That way you get extra miles.

mollies_mum
09-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Thanks guys, that's great to know :thumbsup2