PDA

View Full Version : money saving tips?

scojos
08-30-2009, 11:38 AM
after a few posts about how expensive trips are now becoming, i thought id ask how you all economised money to pay for your trips!
i traded clarks shoes for m and s shoes yesterday, have started taking snacks and drinks out rather than buy things when im out?
and dont forget the tesco CC points!
Anyone got any ideas for a bit of spending money?:goodvibes:wizard:
Tracy

cannp123165
08-30-2009, 11:51 AM
We do eBay and the odd Car Boot sale to help raise some money. I also do surveys and mystery shopping which helps as well. When we are there we get vouchers for restaurants. Also, we always try and use Cashback websites when booking anything! :)

joolz1910
08-30-2009, 11:54 AM
I am doing the following: ebaying, Tesco CC deals, picnics for all days out (no restaurants) and Quidco. We are also saving every 2 coin we get and putting it into a big sealed container. We have until 2011, so I'm hopeful.:rotfl:

DizneyDaze
08-30-2009, 12:00 PM
We do similar things - ebay, surveys, selling some of our holiday pics, coupons, you name it we do it to ensure we get that US holiday each year - www.moneysavingexpert.com has some great ways of generating income and saving money

Kath2003
08-30-2009, 12:02 PM
I never pay full price for clothes or shoes. The only time I do this is buying my favourite jeans in the USA (and usually you can get a deal out there too!). For example this week I got a 55 pair of shoes (that my sister paid full price for a month ago) for 15; and a new pair of work shoes for 10 instead of 35.

Takeaway or eating out once a month. The exception is if we get invited out with friends as we are new to the area and like to meet as many people as possible.

Stock up on good deals - never buy shampoo, soap, washing powder etc. unless it's half price or under (BOGOF counts!). Shopping each week tailored entirely to what the supermarket has on offer.

Walk.

Budget monthly for the holiday - I put 100/month aside from the holiday which is over budget this year. Anything extra gets used for attending weddings, nights out, clothes etc.

scojos
08-30-2009, 01:09 PM
sorry, bit naive here, but how do you get paid to do surveys? im up for a bit of that:thumbsup2.
i have "down graded" some things, kitchen roll is kitchen roll after all, and i dont feel the need to buy my dogs the most expensive dog food anymore (dh was gutted when we opened the bag and it was exactly the same in the tescos own brand as in the expensive bag:rotfl2:).
i have a look at martin whathisname from gmtv too, nothing of use to me, but interesting stuff! i have registered with quidco too, can you get cashback on a normal tesco shop-or is it only on new shops and "home" purchases?

DizneyDaze
08-30-2009, 01:15 PM
sorry, bit naive here, but how do you get paid to do surveys? im up for a bit of that:thumbsup2.

There are quite a few companies you can sign up with who will either pay or give points for you to answer surveys on a variety of topics. It is very time consuming if you want to make some real money as the price per survey is low - check out this link for more info
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/protect/make-money-surveys

Tinks1984
08-30-2009, 04:13 PM
Some of the girls on the UK General Discussion boards were chatting about terramundi pots last week. These are sealed money jars which have to be 'smashed' to be opened...ie, they're sealed completely until you break them.

They sound like a great way to get some Florida spends! And if there's notes and higher value coins going into them, it'll soon add up! :thumbsup2