PDA

View Full Version : Let's Share Top Tips on the Young Kiddie Winks!!

Janine1983
08-30-2009, 07:33 AM
Hiya, :wave2:

Thought it would be a good idea to starts a thread to share any tips when it comes to travelling with young children. :jumping1:

Im taking my 2yr old son Toby in Oct and it'll be his first time abroad and on a plane. So as you can imagine im bricking it about the flight, on how to keep him entertained for 9 whole hours!!! So any top tips would be super :thumbsup2 and greatly recieved!!

Also, any tips in general in Disney. We're there for 3 whole weeks and cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!:beach: Any 'must do's for the lil ones?!:yay:

:thanks:

tashasmum
08-30-2009, 08:17 AM
You can buy him small gifts and wrap them up so he can have one every hour or half hour.
They don't need to be expensive, books, crayons etc

If he has a favourite cuddly toy or blanket be sure to take it with you on the plane for nap times.

Once you are there we tended to take it easy, even on our first trip. It's so easy to try and do everything, especially if it's the holiday of a lifetime.

islandmum
08-30-2009, 08:31 AM
to be honest he'll be so excited the flight should be fine. My tips are to bring kids headphones (the VA ones are huge and will fall off his head), the planes have personal DVD players so bring a couple of your own DVD's he loves (just incase the entertainment system either doesnt work of doesnt have something that holds his attention.

As others will say bring a few things in your bag that you can ration out to him at various points during the flight - but things that are designed to keep him occupied in the seat:goodvibes books, colouring stuff, puzzles, crayons, his favourtie teddy etc.

Try and get him into popping his ears before you go to maybe help with pressure equalisation during ascent and descent, or else drinking from a sippy cup during those times helps do it too.

Snacks he likes - just incase he doesnt like the food offering from the kids meals.

As for the Orlando part - dont try and do too much, if he has scheduled naps try and stick to them even if you have to leave the parks, theres nothing worse than a grouchy kid round Disney. 3 weeks is a lot of time to do everything at a really relaxed pace - he'll have just as much fun in the pool most likely as in Disney! Lots of drinks and suncream if you're going in the hotter months - kids get sunstroke very easily.

have fun:thumbsup2

Boodle
08-30-2009, 08:34 AM
Hiya, :wave2:

Thought it would be a good idea to starts a thread to share any tips when it comes to travelling with young children. :jumping1:

Im taking my 2yr old son Toby in Oct and it'll be his first time abroad and on a plane. So as you can imagine im bricking it about the flight, on how to keep him entertained for 9 whole hours!!! So any top tips would be super :thumbsup2 and greatly recieved!!

Also, any tips in general in Disney. We're there for 3 whole weeks and cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!:beach: Any 'must do's for the lil ones?!:yay:

:thanks:

Three words - portable DVD player!

karengr
08-30-2009, 08:52 AM
I dont know what your views are on medication but i always take dose of Calpol on the plane with me for my two, then if they do get trouble with thier ears it helps ease it a little. When my son was 2 yrs and went to florida he had a problem when his ears popped ,gave him a dose and after about 20 mins fell asleep for about an hour and half woke up then had no problem with them after that.

When in the parks take time out to play in the play areas especially the water areas(just as much fun had here as going on rides or lining up to see Mickey).xx

howlongtillsummer?
08-30-2009, 04:42 PM
Our daughter has a toy dog which is a super shape for a mini pillow. She plays with it most of the way and then will lay it along the headrest and fall asleep on it. It is a lifesaver. It is a laying down shape which makes it just the right length.

Also, bring a change of clothes. We approached one of the play fountains and asked DD if she wanted to go in. "Have you brought me a change of clothes?" she asked. Age 5! I hadn't and she wouldn't go in!

jockey
08-31-2009, 02:53 AM
Make use of the babycare centres there are excellent, even just to pop in for 15 mins of tv a snack and to cool down :)

UKDEB
08-31-2009, 03:02 AM
These are great tips for me to pass on to my daughter. Keep them coming! :thumbsup2

Elise79
08-31-2009, 09:07 AM
For the plane I take a couple on new toys and books for her. I also take calpol sachets as they are the right dose and don't need measuring.

Once we get there we keep her up till her 'normal' bedtime (8.30) then she slept through to till 5.30am quick drink and managed to settle for an other hour so will be trying to do the same this time.

We keep her in a semi normal schedule of putting her to bed in the afternoon. She catnaps in the stroller but she is better if she has a proper sleep in the afternoon.

I take snacks & a drink everywhere for her. Also make sure you have a good changing bag that has a changing mat in it as most of the changing tables in the restrooms are stainless steel!

wifey
09-01-2009, 05:08 AM
I agree on the Calpol it can reduce the stress caused by little ones having headaches or earaches and also come in handy for those mood swings... when they try to fight sleep and you know that's what they need to do take a nap but they don't want to.... ;) Can also be a godsend if the run around in the airport and fall over and bump something DS did this once or twice when he was younger:eek:
Some basic colouring books and crayons are good and a couple of cheap exercise books so scribble or doodle on they can be much cheaper than the big colouring books but if you have older kids how about some puzzle books word searches, crosswords, picture puzzles and glow in the dark bendy sticks (less than 1 per pack ) that you can make friendship bracelets from or other "jewellery" to wear at the fireworks shows.
Failing that there's always the bring your own small games and consoles idea just make sure what ever you bring has plenty of battery life:thumbsup2
How about fuzzy felts? They are still available up here to buy and they are great for toddlers to make up their own stories and play with and they don't weigh much or take up much room. Crayola also do a great range of travel size colouring items for under 5 and you can get reusable sticker books from most 1 stores too;)
How about some scrap books and a "pritt stick" to let the kids make their own memories of their holiday you can add their photos from a cheap disposable camera once you get them developed and pop in things like pictures of their favourite characters maybe leave room to add autographs to add later. You don't need an autograph book but you may need a chunky Sharpie pen so the characters can sign you could use postcards too and pop them in the scrap book with things like sweet and cookie wrappers (cleaned of course) wrapping paper and your used tickets to add to the scrapbook. You can get lots of cheap bits and pieces to add and it's a good way for the kids to remember everything they have done after the holiday.
That's all I can think of for now so I'll stop my rambling ........