PDA

View Full Version : what is the most annoying thing on a flight

dc1964
08-26-2009, 01:03 PM
The thread about having children on your knees on a long haul flight made me think, what annoys people most on the flight, thought it might be fun to suggest a few.

Here is mine

Sitting waiting for the final 2 passengers to get on, where to they go, there always seems to be two who bimble on late having kept the other 300 passengers waiting.

karentan
08-26-2009, 01:08 PM
last year we had a family in front of us on the plane with kids who were about 5, the mother insisted on putting their seats fully back, we had to ask them to put the chairs back up during dinner, but then they slammed them back while we were still eating our dinner. the kids kept standing on their chairs and staring at us. it was really annoying the woman sat next to us too.
typical attitude of "let the kids do what they want, they're on holiday"

UKDEB
08-26-2009, 01:09 PM
Yikes! I predict a 200 page thread of escalating arguments over seat reclining. If you're looking for one of those, use the "search" facility - there have been plenty here in the past! :rotfl2:

UKDEB
08-26-2009, 01:10 PM
One already before I'd even finished typing! I'm telling you, it'll all end in tears! ;)

karentan
08-26-2009, 01:11 PM
i'm not against reclining the seats but you should at least have the decency to put them back up during dinner service!

dc1964
08-26-2009, 01:14 PM
just state the annoying things, not discuss the merits or otherwise....does that help. But yes the seat reclining thing is a pain.:confused:

mickeyforpresident
08-26-2009, 01:15 PM
Actaully, im not not one rant really, but I can't stand it when there are really naughty children on a flight and their parents do nothing to stop them. When we flew with Thomas Cook last year, we were in the premium cabin, sandwiched between a large family, lots of children who were literally running riot in the cabin (at one point a kid went from him seat behind us, to their friends in front of us by climbing over the top of the seats - above our heads - parents did nothing). I wouldn't mind but we made our kids sit still for the whole flight which they saw as double standards.

To make things worse, the cabin crew offered them Pringles to sit down (which worked for a few minutes) and then charged us for them when my son asked for a tub!!! Crazy!!!

:thumbsup2

Oh - the other thing that really dones my nut is when cabin crew treat people differently - the same hostess once treated a couple like the queen but hardly said two words to me!!

dc1964
08-26-2009, 01:15 PM
One already before I'd even finished typing! I'm telling you, it'll all end in tears! ;)

OOOPs Sorry

arielrocks
08-26-2009, 01:20 PM
kids who stand on their seats (behind you) and use your seat to lever themselves up and down. They always grab and pull my hair and it drives me flinging flanging bonkers!!!! Also, darling children that kick my chair!!!!

bless the little darlings!!!!!

Seat reclining doesn't bother me - you pay for it - you can sit up and down till the cows come home for all I care!

hunty
08-26-2009, 02:28 PM
Getting to your seat row to find all the overhead bins are full and teh only space for my small bag is 10 rows further down, then when we get off waiting to get back to my bag to retrieve it:sad1:

bobo_UK
08-26-2009, 02:32 PM
Sounds like Kids are a real problem on flights to Orlando, perhaps I could make a fortune by setting up an adults only airline.

For me its the boring old fart that even after i've told him its my 10th trip wants to tell me about where I can get cheap tat on the 192. I seem to attract him every year.

Booknut
08-26-2009, 02:35 PM
I find it annoying when things don't work i.e. seat earphones, tv etc. We had terrible movie service flying back last time. Only one of the tapes was working...made the flight super long!

Surly flight attendants too although they are few and far between thank goodness.

I don't mind the reclining seat thing so much although as a big girl if they don't move their seat back, I don't get to eat so believe me, when my meal comes their seat is going back to its original position :rotfl2:

JohnnySharp2
08-26-2009, 02:35 PM
Paying a fortune for your flights and finding the seat-back TV does not work.

Trouty
08-26-2009, 02:37 PM
One of my pet hates happened this trip...... couple of weeks ago on our outbound trip.

A large family dotted over two full rows a row in front of us and one of the younger adults became 'ill.' I say ill what I mean is throwing up for 7 hours because they were drunk. I had spotted them in the hotel bar knocking back the drink like there was no tomorrow before the flight. Problem is the cabin crew gave her loads of 'attention' even asking for medical professionals to help from the passengers.

I was sure we were going to get diverted or held on the plane or worse. They got off the plane first and were took away by the Paramedics. Disgusting really. Funny thing was guess who were in the airport bar on the return flight?

Sorry and I am not being snobbish but the last two years to Orlando I have been convinced I was on a Club 18-30 p*ssup flight or something. Going to WDW used to be a touch more exclusive. :(

dc1964
08-26-2009, 02:38 PM
Sounds like Kids are a real problem on flights to Orlando, perhaps I could make a fortune by setting up an adults only airline.

For me its the boring old fart that even after i've told him its my 10th trip wants to tell me about where I can get cheap tat on the 192. I seem to attract him every year.

Hello again Bobo, not seen u since the flight, did u get to the flea market:rotfl2:

Lisa x
08-26-2009, 02:43 PM
When people clearly and obviously tut, sigh and generally have a go at the UC and PE passengers who get on/off first, dont have to queue to check luggage in and then get luggage off first.......:mad:

Would like to say 'Jeeeez we have saved and paid for the privilege...get over yourself' BUT.....Im too happy to be at DisneyWorld so a big beaming 'rub it in' style grin does the trick!! Oh and a bit of pixiedust:

alibeau
08-26-2009, 02:45 PM
I get REALLY annoyed when the air hostess doesn't bring me my first glass of champagne within a few minutes of boarding. :lmao::rotfl::rotfl2:

Ali :goodvibes

arielrocks
08-26-2009, 02:49 PM
when you go to use the toilet and someone has 'missed' (bothers me normally as well as flightshehehehe)

GROSS

Trouty
08-26-2009, 03:05 PM
when you go to use the toilet and someone has 'missed' (bothers me normally as well as flightshehehehe)

GROSS

Depending on the turbulence it can be hard for us chaps to get a bullseye :rotfl2:

scojos
08-26-2009, 03:06 PM
contreversial post coming...
Anyone who is discourteous in such a small space should be put in the luggage hold. do you think im trying to sleep 50cm away from a stranger for the fun of it???
last year on the way home we were sat (in the bulk head seats at our request because of our ASD child. The older couple next to us had mobility probs, so they had the other two seats. no problem. the problem was there **** of a son who keep pushing my 6 yr olds seat back up... i add this was after dinner and when the lights had gone off!!! i called the air hostess, told her he was kicking / pushing, and said if he didnt like it, could he please be moved, cause i was going to say something very loudly and vulgarly if he didnt stop it? he obvioulsy heard, cause i didnt say it quietly. he stopped it...
(This is the bit im not proud of, when he turned his light off i was soooo wound up i turned my reading light on, angled back as far as i could and listened to his dd (15ish) who had kicked my child for an hour tell her daddy she couldnt sleep cause of the light:rotfl2:
ok, it was evil, but my daughter was 5, his was old enough to know better.
This is just like confesional, hehe!!

BoingBoingBaggie
08-26-2009, 03:15 PM
contreversial post coming...
Anyone who is discourteous in such a small space should be put in the luggage hold. do you think im trying to sleep 50cm away from a stranger for the fun of it???
last year on the way home we were sat (in the bulk head seats at our request because of our ASD child. The older couple next to us had mobility probs, so they had the other two seats. no problem. the problem was there **** of a son who keep pushing my 6 yr olds seat back up... i add this was after dinner and when the lights had gone off!!! i called the air hostess, told her he was kicking / pushing, and said if he didnt like it, could he please be moved, cause i was going to say something very loudly and vulgarly if he didnt stop it? he obvioulsy heard, cause i didnt say it quietly. he stopped it...
(This is the bit im not proud of, when he turned his light off i was soooo wound up i turned my reading light on, angled back as far as i could and listened to his dd (15ish) who had kicked my child for an hour tell her daddy she couldnt sleep cause of the light:rotfl2:
ok, it was evil, but my daughter was 5, his was old enough to know better.
This is just like confesional, hehe!!

Pretty much sure that I would have done something along the same lines. :thumbsup2

Holiday or not, if someone thinks that they are going to spend their flight kicking mine or a member of my family's chair then they are badly mistaken.

dc1964
08-26-2009, 03:21 PM

GROSS

especially if u have taken your shoes off

joolz1910
08-26-2009, 03:22 PM
Weird little kids who stare at you between the seats in the style of Jack Nicholson in The Shining.:rotfl:

Becx N Gav
08-26-2009, 03:23 PM
Sorry and I am not being snobbish but the last two years to Orlando I have been convinced I was on a Club 18-30 p*ssup flight or something. Going to WDW used to be a touch more exclusive. :(

When we spoke to a hostess she commented on the 'lack of decorum' of some passengers on that route nowadays :sad2: It's a shame as I think the service suffers because of the pre-conception.

When people clearly and obviously tut, sigh and generally have a go at the UC and PE passengers who get on/off first, dont have to queue to check luggage in and then get luggage off first.......:mad:

Would like to say 'Jeeeez we have saved and paid for the privilege...get over yourself' BUT.....Im too happy to be at DisneyWorld so a big beaming 'rub it in' style grin does the trick!! Oh and a bit of pixiedust:

I agree with this too - we sat opposite a family (who were extremely rude about having to wait for disabled kids to board on their flight from the UK :sad2: - I couldn't beleive what I heard to be honest) and when they called the PE seats we got a few looks when we got up, then we happened to see them at luggage claim at Gatwick and they loudly commented when we got our bags first :rotfl:

Another annoyance we had was sitting in the exit seats, everyone and their wife wanted to come over and look out the window, a large majority of those managed to kick / trip over DH's legs :headache: - we chose to sit there for the extra leg room. It was a bit of an invasion of our personal space really, but I guess if you're sat in the middle rows you need to have a look :confused3

Also a stewardess dropped a can of beer which sprayed all over us (our clothes smelt awful) and she didn't even attempt to apologise :scared1: she cleaned herself up and then the floor and had a good old laugh about it :sad2: we had to ask for napkins.

howlongtillsummer?
08-26-2009, 03:31 PM
Hmmm

Interesting thread!

I hate the way everyone scrambles to get off! I know why they are doing it but my DD has almost been crushed several times in the scrum. It might help if they opened both sets of doors.

Not a major gripe though!

MissStitch626
08-26-2009, 03:33 PM
Weird little kids who stare at you between the seats in the style of Jack Nicholson in The Shining.:rotfl:

I'm so with you on this one :rotfl:

I also hate people - adults or children - kicking the back of my seat continuously throughout the whole flight, nothing more annoying !

Tony Toon
08-26-2009, 03:41 PM
The way they always put on a movie (the new Star Trek coming home a couple of weeks ago) and then 5 minutes later start dishing out the meal so you miss chunks of the beginning of the film. :confused3 Why can't they wait 15 minutes? :confused:

Mrs TT

lin85prest
08-26-2009, 03:45 PM
We once had bulkhead seats and then had to endure kids using this as the way to get to the other ailse :confused3

dc1964
08-26-2009, 03:59 PM
promising free alcoholic drinks and then only coming around the once....it is a pain having to wake DW up so she can collect drinks from the galley!

howlongtillsummer?
08-26-2009, 04:01 PM
:rotfl:

scojos
08-26-2009, 04:22 PM
Pretty much sure that I would have done something along the same lines. :thumbsup2

Holiday or not, if someone thinks that they are going to spend their flight kicking mine or a member of my family's chair then they are badly mistaken.

obviously a local thing - you re only just up the hill from me!!
Tracy

natalielongstaff
08-26-2009, 04:44 PM
I hate the way everyone scrambles to get off! I know why they are doing it but my DD has almost been crushed several times in the scrum. It might help if they opened both sets of doors.

Not a major gripe though!

thats my bug bear, im always in the wrong place and i can't wait to get off the darn plane..i hate flying :guilty:

islandmum
08-26-2009, 05:02 PM
twice I've been on a flight where there have been troublesome drunk passengers - once to Hong Kong, once to Dubai, in both cases the troublesome offender was dispatched off up to us in the front cabin as there was space ..... nice! Both incidentally BA flights, Virgin - only problem we've encountered has been entertainment systems not working - really pissed me off.

starrysky
08-26-2009, 05:47 PM

I really hate that and it really freaks me out especially if you have been sleeping and wake up with creepy child staring at you :scared1:

What about those people who won't wait for the trolley to come past and will stand on your feet or almost land up in your lap *** they have to get back to their seat!! Why can people just not wait in a more open area so the stewards can get past.

scottishgirl87
08-26-2009, 06:56 PM
I can't really think of much right now but I hate the whole "meal process". Once I'm done with it I want rid of it and I always feel it takes an age to clear it away!

Andrew Bichard
08-26-2009, 07:16 PM
Paying a fortune for your flights and finding the seat-back TV does not work.

Last trip, on our return to Gatwick, we were told the movie system wasn't working and we were given 50 in vouchers each as compensation. Actually, the movies were working. (not that we watched them anyway - we slept most of the way back).

Two things that did bug me. A kid that played with his 'push and go' model Virgin plane most of the way out. The sound of its jet engine got too much to bear, and believe it or not, a few years back when those folding aluminium scooters were all the rage, a kid riding one up & down the isles.

Andrew

Kath2003
08-26-2009, 07:18 PM
Badly parented children. By this I mean people who bring kids on a 10 hour flight with NOTHING for them to do; people who allow their children to play with the airline food, run up and down the aisles on a night flight or kick the back of the seat in front. Also people who bring noisy or just plain stupid toys on a flight - I once saw someone bring a monopoly. A full set, not the travel version. It involved 10% playing the game, 90% scrabbling on the floor for bits.

Crying children. I know that there are reasons for meltdowns and crying babies, but it cuts through you like a knife.

People who get up to go to the bathroom half an hour before landing and then take forever. I once waited 12 minutes to use the bathroom! What the heck that woman was doing in there I will never know!

People who didn't think about what they may want on the flight then spend 10 minutes routine about in the overhead lockers for it whilst standing over you. Be prepared. If you have to access your baggage, get it DOWN and route through it, rather than standing on tiptoes over me!

People who think they know how planes work and express false information loudly to their family/the cabin. I don't know much about planes but I'm fairly sure the landing gear doesn't engage at 20,000ft.

Sitting next to strangers on a plane is fine, but not strangers who wake you for 'breakfast'.

Thank you. I'm done.

tinks_1989
08-27-2009, 01:22 AM
when you have a seat at the back near the toilet and every one grabs your seat to stand there

and

this is before your actually on the plane but when they call a row and every one gets up and you end up pushing and shoving

arielrocks
08-27-2009, 02:29 AM
this is before your actually on the plane but when they call a row and every one gets up and you end up pushing and shoving

OMG - this drives me MAD to. I wish the ground crew would not let them board if its not the row they have called, but they let em on anyway, then when you finally make it through the crowds you can't get your stuff in the overhead locker because all the queue jumpers got on first. Grrrr:mad:

Mrs Dazzle
08-27-2009, 03:05 AM
kids who stand on their seats (behind you) and use your seat to lever themselves up and down. They always grab and pull my hair and it drives me flinging flanging bonkers!!!! Also, darling children that kick my chair!!!!

bless the little darlings!!!!!

Seat reclining doesn't bother me - you pay for it - you can sit up and down till the cows come home for all I care!
Yep - drives me flinging flanging bonkers too (just love this saying;)).

Luckily I've only got little legs, but don't much like seat recliners either, especially when you're trying to eat your food.

I also agree about the way you're treated. Luckily we've had the experience of travelling in UC, PE and economy and have always been treated correcrtly (ok, there are some dragon or prima donna-esque crew on all flights, particularly in economy), but my poor friend and her family were upgraded for free on a BA flight (for very good reasons, too long to go into) - when she was eventually asked what she wanted to eat and dared to ask for the fillet steak, the cabin crew turned and said in a very loud voice - "you've not paid to be here therefore you don't deserve to fed like those that have":scared1::sad2::sad2: Deary me.

Neoshoegal
08-27-2009, 04:43 AM
People who scrum to get on the plane as if it would leave without them. I have a fear of getting onto a plane (used to be afraid of the whole flying experience, but I've actually learned to be ok with the flying part, it's the whole airport experience that frightens me more than anything). We just about always request to go on the plane at the very very end, when everybody is on there and pretty much seated to avoid the floodgates of tears. We now only fly PE or better to avoid most the trouble I have.

Also, kids. Sorry. Most of the time, they are absolutely fine. But last year we had a 2 year old seated before us. Before getting on to the plane, we were queuing to get on (this was our first time in PE so decided to try to get on sooner rather than wait until the end as usual, bad idea) and people were little not giving each other any space. This woman with that 2 year old was behind us, holding the kid on her arm. All of the sudden for no good reason, he lets off an almighthy scream right into my ear. Ouch, so I turn around look at the kid wondering "what the heck?" and the mum looks at me as if I just offended her little angel. Then it turns out they are seated right in front of us in the PE bubble. For 9 hours (the flight was delayed) this kid would run up and down, scream, climb onto those lockers on the sides of the seat and onto the one next to DH (he was sitting in the last row). We were not amused, but mum would not do anything to make him quiet down for even 2 seconds. She was also clearly not amused that we were obviously less than impressed and gave us the evil eye. I appreciate that flying with small children can not always be easy, but to let them run ammock and visibly annoy other people (who are also trying to enjoy their holidays) is not on :mad:

tinks_1989
08-27-2009, 05:00 AM
OMG - this drives me MAD to. I wish the ground crew would not let them board if its not the row they have called, but they let em on anyway, then when you finally make it through the crowds you can't get your stuff in the overhead locker because all the queue jumpers got on first. Grrrr:mad:

Yeah tell me about it luckiyl just being me and DF we hardly take any thing on the flight so we just sit until nearly every one is oon but what is it with people not sitting on their own seat its like this one is empty ill sit here

other thing when plane has landed and not even stopped or near airport and every one has their belts off and is ready to stand up all you have is a wait for your bags

bazzanoid
08-27-2009, 05:03 AM
Don't you just hate it when you get on a plane and the captain announces you're departing as everyone's on board, and you just know it's going to a really terrible flight because the cabin looks like this:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_QMdDNBt_Uis/SoVgDH-xT1I/AAAAAAAACcI/lhN9Vogq8ds/s400/P1030819.JPG

Couldn't resist, sorry..... we had the shock of our lives when we'd barely sat down at the back of the plane (so we boarded first out of the economy passengers) and the captain announced we were all set to go!!! :teeth:

On a serious note, i have no objection to the person in front reclining, as long as they pop it back up during meals.

One thing that does really aggravate me is having my friend woken up for dinner by the steward/ess - this only happened once as i now jump in before they poke her, but seriously, if she's sleeping, she's not wanting food and will most likely top up your profits by buying some snacks later when she's awake!

Minor bug i know, but still a bug!

I also really hate the fact that the little plane on the map screen moves so slowly - just when you think you're a short distance from landing the ETA readout helpfully displays something like "3 Hrs 40 mins" - but we're only an inch away from orlando!!!!!! Can't do much about the plane speed, but when you're having a flight that drags (you know, you get restless, no interesting movies to keep you occupied etc) it really doesn't help. No matter how much i try not to look at it, DW or a friend will helpfully look at the screen and declare loudly "only another X hours to go". You can practically hear everyone in earshot groaning......

bazzanoid
08-27-2009, 05:07 AM
other thing when plane has landed and not even stopped or near airport and every one has their belts off and is ready to stand up all you have is a wait for your bags

Totally agree... what's the point in cramming to get off the plane - you're not actually going to get out any quicker since you've got customs and baggage claim to go through, if you're too quick you're stuck waiting anyway!

Delboy
08-27-2009, 05:19 AM
Trolley falling on you, like it did to me when we sat in the exit seats!!
TV not working?
I-POD battry flat!!

kevin harrison
08-27-2009, 05:40 AM
Also, kids. Sorry. Most of the time, they are absolutely fine. But last year we had a 2 year old seated before us. Before getting on to the plane, we were queuing to get on (this was our first time in PE so decided to try to get on sooner rather than wait until the end as usual, bad idea) and people were little not giving each other any space. This woman with that 2 year old was behind us, holding the kid on her arm. All of the sudden for no good reason, he lets off an almighthy scream right into my ear. Ouch, so I turn around look at the kid wondering "what the heck?" and the mum looks at me as if I just offended her little angel. Then it turns out they are seated right in front of us in the PE bubble. For 9 hours (the flight was delayed) this kid would run up and down, scream, climb onto those lockers on the sides of the seat and onto the one next to DH (he was sitting in the last row). We were not amused, but mum would not do anything to make him quiet down for even 2 seconds. She was also clearly not amused that we were obviously less than impressed and gave us the evil eye. I appreciate that flying with small children can not always be easy, but to let them run ammock and visibly annoy other people (who are also trying to enjoy their holidays) is not on :mad:

I'll bet any money you haven't got children. Sometimes they do scream for no reason. Especially a two year old.

There is no excuse for parents not parenting though, when the kids are running around.

You are lucky you are not on VS015 in the 13th September, we keep our children well behaved and under control, but my son is Autistic and will certainly scream and get upset at some point... How do you know that this 2 year old you have spoken about didn't have an invisible disability like Autism? Could explain the mother being upset with you. Seeing this from both sides, it's very easy to judge..

CustardTart
08-27-2009, 06:00 AM
...Sitting waiting for the final 2 passengers to get on, where to they go, there always seems to be two who bimble on late having kept the other 300 passengers waiting.
Definitely!!! Happened on our flight back from Malaga in the summer. They were made to feel v-e-r-y guilty tho' (actually the lady cried and I felt sorry for her) as both the crew and the captain explained to the rest of the passengers that the delay meant we'd lost our slot etc...

So true!!! :rotfl2::lmao::rotfl2:

...Crying children. I know that there are reasons for meltdowns and crying babies, but it cuts through you like a knife...
::yes:: ::yes:: ::yes:: Thank the god of travel for iPods!!! :worship:

...my poor friend and her family were upgraded for free on a BA flight (for very good reasons, too long to go into) - when she was eventually asked what she wanted to eat and dared to ask for the fillet steak, the cabin crew turned and said in a very loud voice - "you've not paid to be here therefore you don't deserve to fed like those that have":scared1::sad2::sad2: Deary me.
OMG!!! How nasty!!! :sad2:

T16GEM
08-27-2009, 06:01 AM
Personally the seat relcining thing doesn't bother me too much as long as they put it back up during meal times. :goodvibes

Having two little uns of my own I can safely say that we as parents do our best to keep them quiet and under control, but occasionally (esp when lap sitting) it is inevitable that they will accidentally kick the person in front.

DS was unwell on the last trip on the way out and was sleeping on me for most of the time, (nice and quiet ;)) when he tried to turn over he stretched his legs out and kicked the seat in front which was met with totally disapproving you are the worlds worst parent looks from the woman in front of us. I can honestly say that I was holding DS's feet to try and stop this from happening. It upsets me though because we are all on a flight to Orlando - hmm expect there to be no kids on it?? Come on. :confused3

CustardTart
08-27-2009, 06:11 AM
...Having two little uns of my own I can safely say that we as parents do our best to keep them quiet and under control, but occasionally (esp when lap sitting) it is inevitable that they will accidentally kick the person in front.

DS was unwell on the last trip on the way out and was sleeping on me for most of the time, (nice and quiet ;)) when he tried to turn over he stretched his legs out and kicked the seat in front which was met with totally disapproving you are the worlds worst parent looks from the woman in front of us. I can honestly say that I was holding DS's feet to try and stop this from happening. It upsets me though because we are all on a flight to Orlando - hmm expect there to be no kids on it?? Come on. :confused3

I don't think anyone can mind the odd kick, Gems... :hug: I know when my youngest DS was a certain age, it was almost impossible for him not to kick the seat in front as his legs were just at that length! But we did our best and, as a family of five, I always tried to seat us 3 behind, 2 in front so if he was going to kick, it would be one us of that experienced it... :goodvibes

BRobson
08-27-2009, 06:13 AM
I am so looking forward to flying now - so many good memories :lmao:

bazzanoid
08-27-2009, 06:16 AM
I am so looking forward to flying now - so many good memories :lmao:

Oh yes

Ever sit near the toilets when they've served a spicy curry or similar for the meal..........
:sick:

CustardTart
08-27-2009, 06:17 AM
My personal pet peeve is people who remove their shoes during a flight and have stinky feet!!! DISGUSTING!!! I was nearly retching on our flight to Dubai when this man kicked off his loafers... :sick:

kevin harrison
08-27-2009, 06:28 AM
Invasion of personal space for me. Last Summer in First Choice's premium offering at the front of the plane, we had 4 seats, my wife was in the front row with my son, people from std economy were coming into the cabin to use the toilet and standing in my wifes seating space, at one point this woman leaned over her, putting her hand on my wifes head rest to look out the window, luckily my autistic son didn't go into meltdown! I told the crew, who did nothing. Hence me travelling with Virgin this summer...

tinks_1989
08-27-2009, 06:30 AM
ha yes being woken up for food I know when flying longhaul you always get your food but when flying with a certain airline last year when we booked i requested not to have a meal dont expect a discount just dont want to it cant stand the stuff I was woken up to be told i was not having any thing to eat and not just tapped i was shaken

also on that flight me and DF are lucky we arent scared of flying one of the cabin crew was counting down till landing he got it wrong and when we still hadnt landed after his count down he said oh no we are going to crash and all die me and DF couldnt believe our ears

we are not flying with that company this year (THANKFULLY)

tinks_1989
08-27-2009, 06:32 AM
First Choice's premium ...

lol not just me that recieves terrble service then

Becx N Gav
08-27-2009, 06:38 AM
Oh yes

Ever sit near the toilets when they've served a spicy curry or similar for the meal..........
:sick:

I try to avoid seats near the loos in general :sick: and DH doesn't like the smell coming from the serving area - I think I should just get us nose plugs :sad2:

bazzanoid
08-27-2009, 06:47 AM
I try to avoid seats near the loos in general :sick: and DH doesn't like the smell coming from the serving area - I think I should just get us nose plugs :sad2:

I deliberately make sure i check in online 23hrs 59 mins before we go purposely to get the best choice of seats - i go for the rear of the plane (tends to be the longest economy section without loos, galley etc) and choose the seats slap bang between the front section with bulkhead seats (for mother/baby etc) and the back section with loos and/or galley). Normally sorts me out right :)

nannyj
08-27-2009, 06:58 AM
Adults who proceed to drink throughout the whole flight and let their kids do exactly as they please. We had a couple of families like this a few of years ago. They were in and out the galley, up and down the stairs and literally running down the aisle when possible, shouting at one another from one end of the place to the other. In the end the stewardess had to ask them to keep their kids in check. They didn't like it but it toned down a bit.

At least this time we will be in the back row in the bubble so hopefully it will be quieter!!

scojos
08-27-2009, 07:16 AM
this thread has made me think, i was going to stump up for an upgrade, but seems the issues are the same wherever you fly.
maybe we should get evryone to sign a appropriate behaviour agreement before they are allowed to sit behind/next to us;):rotfl2:

Lisa1976
08-27-2009, 07:23 AM
perhaps I could make a fortune by setting up an adults only airline..

Now that i would pay for!!!

I don't mind kids (couldn't eat a whole one :rotfl: ) but the ones that run amuck on the flights are a nightmare. Im afraid that I am one of these people that will speak my mind and tell a child to stop kick the seat, pulling the chair etc etc. Thats just me. :rolleyes1

scottish mum
08-27-2009, 07:28 AM
I get annoyed when people are walking up and down the aisle when they know the food is getting served, they then try and squeeze in beside you to let the trolley passed. why can't they just wait where there is space to let it passed

kevin harrison
08-27-2009, 07:29 AM
Makes me laugh, people complaining about kids on the way to Orlando.

Travel City Direct had cabins that were exclusively for adults, and we know what happened to them..

Becx N Gav
08-27-2009, 07:31 AM
Adults who proceed to drink throughout the whole flight and let their kids do exactly as they please. We had a couple of families like this a few of years ago. They were in and out the galley, up and down the stairs and literally running down the aisle when possible, shouting at one another from one end of the place to the other. In the end the stewardess had to ask them to keep their kids in check. They didn't like it but it toned down a bit.

At least this time we will be in the back row in the bubble so hopefully it will be quieter!!

Was this in PE?

I never feel like drinking whilst travelling - maybe the glass of champagne but that's it, I don't want to feel dodgy for 8-9 hours.

Neoshoegal
08-27-2009, 07:38 AM
I'll bet any money you haven't got children. Sometimes they do scream for no reason. Especially a two year old.

There is no excuse for parents not parenting though, when the kids are running around.

You are lucky you are not on VS015 in the 13th September, we keep our children well behaved and under control, but my son is Autistic and will certainly scream and get upset at some point... How do you know that this 2 year old you have spoken about didn't have an invisible disability like Autism? Could explain the mother being upset with you. Seeing this from both sides, it's very easy to judge..

Because mum was actually encouraging to run around and make noise, she thought he looked cute and adorable. not at one moment in time did she try to make him any quieter or have any consideration for her fellow passengers. I'm guessing he didn't have autism as she was chatting to another mum with a child of the same age and talking about how they are at that age. I spent the whole flight with earplugs in and still couldn't sleep a wink because her precious angel's lungs were more powerful then my earplugs.
We were just trying to mind our own business so tried very much to ignore the child. Her annoyance with us seemed to come for the fact that we weren't saying how cute her boy was, but rather that we ignored him when he was trying to climb onto DH.
As I said, I imagine it must be difficult flying with children, but even when you have an autistic child, I would hope that you at least try at certain points to restrain their enthusiam out of consideration of other passengers. Leaving a kid run around for 9 hours, no matter what, is just not polite.
Plus, the screaming right into my ear. No matter what ailment, it would have been nice to have received an apology for the inevitable headache that followed. If accompanied by an explanation (ie "I'm sorry, my child is autistic"), then at least I can have some understanding and give a reply of "I understand, no worries". Now it was as if I was the bad guy because her child gave me a headache from screaming right into my ear (if she would have been polite enough to give people some space in a queu, even just a few more inches rather than nearly leaning onto me, her screaming boy probably wouldn't even have been an issue).

And as I said in my first post: " I appreciate that flying with small children can not always be easy, but to let them run ammock and visibly annoy other people (who are also trying to enjoy their holidays) is not on". So I do understand that kids will innevitably scream sometimes, I'm ok with that, I know that this is unavoidable (unless there would be adult only sections of planes or adult only fligths, or something like the quiet coach on a train). It's the ones that don't care about upsetting other passengers, that wind me up.

bazzanoid
08-27-2009, 07:47 AM

Have to be careful how you'd market it (think adults only and the average mindset...), but there would be some serious advantages - make it 16 and over (since 16 year olds generally behave themselves) and you can show 15 rated movies, late-night sitcoms instead of the usual kid's cartoons.... the possibilities are endless!

Head_in_the_clouds
08-27-2009, 07:52 AM
My number one personal bugbear is the terrible B/O mixed with halitosis I can always smell wafting through the cabin on the flight back to the UK :rotfl2:. The cabin just gets smellier and smellier as the flight goes on. I don't understand how people can't smell themselves - I would be so embarassed, it doesn't take five minutes to freshen up with some baby/cologne wipes, use some deodorant and brush your teeth!

Cyrano
08-27-2009, 08:41 AM

GROSS

I know what you mean. Never understood why a woman can miss a big hole like that :lmao:;)

disney_princess_85
08-27-2009, 09:33 AM

Travel City Direct had cabins that were exclusively for adults, and we know what happened to them..

It's badly behaved children that people have a problem with, not children in general. I agree with many posts about children running amock etc, however I also have a problem with adults who can't behave themselves either! Let's be honest, there are plenty of those. :laughing:

P.S. Well said Neoshoegal! :)

scoobee
08-27-2009, 09:44 AM
As a female with long hair, I always want to scream when the people sat behind me pull on the back of my chair, thus grabbing a handful of my hair, when they want to get up and make their way to the loo etc. It hurts!!!::mad:

crazysitch
08-27-2009, 09:56 AM
:mad:I also hate child and adult kicking and pulling the back of my family seats continougly throughout the whole flight i noting more annoing !:headache:

Kath2003
08-27-2009, 10:30 AM

I will complain about badly behaved children anywhere in public. On an airline it's obviously worse as you can't escape it. Further it's just insulting to the rest of the cabin when mum and dad are doing absolutely nothing about the havoc their little sweetheart is creating (e.g. running up and down aisles, climbing on seats etc.).

I will also complain about crying children and babies, but I know that there are reasons for this. It doesn't mean that it's not irritating and indeed distressing. Scientific studies has shown that small children crying is one of the most distressing sounds a person can be subjected to (worse than a pneumatic drill!) and being cooped up with that for ten hours is painful for everyone, not just baby and its family.

It appears, though, that it's not just me....

dtm316
08-27-2009, 11:11 AM
I will also complain about crying children and babies, but I know that there are reasons for this. It doesn't mean that it's not irritating and indeed distressing. Scientific studies has shown that small children crying is one of the most distressing sounds a person can be subjected to (worse than a pneumatic drill!) and being cooped up with that for ten hours is painful for everyone, not just baby and its family.

I have to say that although the sound of a crying baby can at times be a distressing sound on an aeroplane. I would absolutely soil myself if I heard a pneumatic drill while flying over the atlantic :rotfl:

Cosmo.Kramer
08-27-2009, 11:30 AM
Don't have a problem with the kids...it's the parents.

We came back on a flight to Glasgow a couple of years ago. This little brat (sorry he was) was kicking a man's seat in front of him. The man was travelling alone with his young son. He kept kicking the seat and chucking Maltesers all over the place. This wasn't just a child who was bored - this was clearly a problem child.

The mum just said for about 7 hours 'i'll no tell you again', yes for the whole flight, over and over and over...

By the end I felt like kicking out the exit door and parachuting out. On coming in to land we were greeted with the great 'we can see oor flat from here' and 'it's good to be home' :confused3

Other than that nothing really bothers me that much as I realise pretty soon i'll be touching down the the US of A!

disney_princess_85
08-27-2009, 11:35 AM
By the end I felt like kicking out the exit door and parachuting out.

On coming in to land we were greeted with the great 'we can see oor flat from here' and 'it's good to be home' :confused3

Cringe. I can't stand people like that.

scojos
08-27-2009, 11:38 AM
I have to say that although the sound of a crying baby can at times be a distressing sound on an aeroplane. I would absolutely soil myself if I heard a pneumatic drill while flying over the atlantic :rotfl:

im wth you on that one:lmao:

i would like to add, the majority of parents with children with asd are extremely concerned - not about the affect their child has on others (i wouldnt get a 4x), but more the affect the others have on my child. i dont care if he is loud getting on the plane, because i know he ll be calmer when on the plane for 9 hours if i let him express himself whilst getting on. the majority of kids with SN would also get on first or last, to avoid the crush. we can therefore presume that the kids getting on in the crush are "normal".

as a teacher i have perfected both my glare and tone of voice, that kids get is non negotiable, a polite "could you please go back to your seats or play quietly?" has always worked for me, try it;)
as for parents who think it acceptable to let their darmigs run all over the plane, do you not think thats cause they have no control at home???
speaking to the aircrew and ask them if you can be moved- they are generally very understanding...
im finding this very interesting thread.
P>S whilst i do explain my sons behaviour with a "sorry, he has autism", many people dont even know what autism is, which is why the dis is soo good:goodvibes we all learn together. i would however add the no parents should feel oblidged to explain a SN kids behaviour. My ds had a major break down in calais, as we are bi lingual, we speak in the language to him that people around us will not understand, so we talked to him in english, usual stuff, finish this then we ll do what you want.... the french people around us not realisinf we understood started talking about spoilt english brats and their poor behaviour. this was 1 time i did not apologise about his behaviour, i just turned round and said (in french) that my childs behaviour was my business not theres, and if they had nothing nice to say, maybe they shouldnt say anything at all.... moral, we all need to be understanding at times, however, not judgemental...
tx

Cosmo.Kramer
08-27-2009, 11:41 AM

Cringe. I can't stand people like that.

I personally don't MIND the clapping on landing in America but that's cause you're on your holiday.

It was the same family that stood all the way along the baggage claim that wouldn't let anyone else in to get the bags.

disney_princess_85
08-27-2009, 11:45 AM
I personally don't MIND the clapping on landing in America but that's cause you're on your holiday.

It was the same family that stood all the way along the baggage claim that wouldn't let anyone else in to get the bags.

Yeah, the clapping thing happened on my flight last year. What's NOT ok is expressing any pleasure at arriving back in the UK! :laughing:

Some people are very selfish aren't they? We just have to make sure that they don't put a dampener on our holidays I guess.

Netty
08-27-2009, 11:46 AM
well what a thread-so funny!!!:lmao:
i think we should all book to be on the same flight, then there will be no problems!!:lmao:
can anyone tell me.. what is that little pirate thingy on the virgin flight map??

we have had a couple of episodes of air rage on flights to orlando- not us personally though! :rotfl: a passenger trying to start a fight for no reasons at all.. all in front of the kids on the flight

bronny
08-27-2009, 12:06 PM
Badly behaved kids who are not 'looked after' by parents! I have a son with ADHD and he was better behaved than a lot of the kids we saw on the plane. Now he's no angel but I was so proud of him after flying 8 hours and seeing kids running riot up and down the aisles. Think the PSP helped though - best invention EVER!:thumbsup2

Kath2003
08-27-2009, 12:12 PM
I forgot the mother who was a real gem on a flight to Miami. Three kids, looked about 4, 6 and 8 sat on the 3 seats next to the window. Mother sat across the aisle, put her headphones in and didn't look twice at the kids for another 9 hours.

The four year old threw up on take-off AND landing (the 6 y/o provided her with a sickbag both times!).

The six year old knocked over three drinks and most of her meal.

The eight year old kicked the back of my chair. I asked him to stop. I asked his mother to ask him to stop. The airhostess asked him to stop. The airhostess asked his mother to ask him to stop. Kiddo kicked me for 9 hours.

The eight year old accompanied the other two to the bathroom because they were scared of the flush (what child isn't?!).

If they hadn't gotten on together, I would have assumed the children were unaccompanied.

aaronandterri
08-27-2009, 12:15 PM
:rotfl:lol just read all of this thread...all i can say is i hope none of you lot are on our flight this christmas:rotfl:

Lisa x
08-27-2009, 12:44 PM
God help anyone on our flight too in October...:rotfl:

My three nephews (2, 6, 9) and my brother (9).....very much 'boys'! Now dont get me wrong, my mum and sister will take plenty for them to do but NINE hours is a long time for children to sit still and be quiet!

Now I have to be honest, I hate the sound of high pitched screaming and 9 times out of 10 its just not necessary and also being kicked, leaned on, having my hair pulled when people lean on my seat, having to endure the smell of armpits when reachin overhead lockers, breath and feet :sick:

All I can say is thank the lord all my 'lot' are in Economy and DF (will be DH on the way back...yey...:bride:) and I are in UC!

Im sure the economy passengers will get their fair share of 'are we there yet', 'how long muuuum', 'im hungry, im bored'...but tucked up in UC, im sure will be bliss! :rotfl2:

Please dont have a go at eachothers pet peeves, im sure people appreciate children who cant help behaving in certain ways or making sudden loud noises and will make exceptions for them. Lets not misunderstand the fact that we complain about 'obvious' naughty children with parents who dont give a damn about other passengers, Orlando isnt just for children so we shouldnt always have to just put up with certain behaviour just because we are going to 'Disney'! DisneyWorld or not, 9 hours is a hell of a long time to watch and listen to very badly behaved children/adults (alcohol induced)!!

Pooh's-Honey-Pot
08-27-2009, 12:57 PM
We paid for the extra leg room seats in Virgin economy this year . . . we ended up in the seats near the toilet (smelly but bearable). Once the seatbelt sign went off it became apparent that the area near the toilets is used for a regular "get-together" spot for about 50% of passengers! It was terrible. The whole "gap" in front of us which we had paid extra for was full of people all night so we couldn't stretch our legs out without people walking in to them and tripping over them, couldn't put our bags out there as I was worried about our wallets and passports being taken, and couldn't sleep because of the constant loud chatter (as well as the noise of the toilets being flushed). That was a great waste of 150!!!!!

VickyJ
08-27-2009, 01:01 PM
Being a parent of three children myself (5,9,10) i can understand how hard it is to keep children "contained" BUT my worst hate, the one that really gets my blood boiling is one that i have witnessed twice and that is when a child is well over disaplined in a manner that borders abuse.
when we were on our way to disney last time there was a couple and thier child and this child was quite whiny but nothing major then when the child didnt like the in flight meal the mother just grabbed the child lifted her up in to the air and then slapped her bare back as hard as she possible could. this could be heard right accross the plane. It is this behavior i find more disgusting than any other.

well after reading all of this i am really dreading my flight in a few days but i look foward to getting there :-)
VJ

Pugsly
08-27-2009, 01:08 PM
Flew direct from Houston to London - overnight flight.

Family of 3 in front of us - mom, dad, and teenage son. The dad and son were up all night talking, and laughing - complete with overhead light on. As I gave them the evil eye, the son looked at me like I was the one who was crazy for wanting to sleep!

Obi Wan Kenobi
08-27-2009, 01:15 PM
Lisa x
You can get problmes in UC too :goodvibes

One flight back, there were some pax who were being picked up at the airport so sleep was not a problem for them, so they stayed at the bar all night talking away and drinking.
I ended up wearing my Bose QC2's to reduce the noise!

Plus the flight where a person was complaining about everything, the food, the seat comfort, the pillows, the cabin temperature, the wrong gin etc etc. It was their first flight in UC too!

Andrew Bichard
08-27-2009, 01:23 PM
Also a stewardess dropped a can of beer which sprayed all over us

Stewardess pours me a glass (plastic cup) of tomato juice. Plastic cup has a hole in the bottom, juice pours straight through into my lap.

Andrew

Lisa x
08-27-2009, 01:29 PM
Lisa x
You can get problmes in UC too :goodvibes

One flight back, there were some pax who were being picked up at the airport so sleep was not a problem for them, so they stayed at the bar all night talking away and drinking.

Plus the flight where a person was complaining about everything, the food, the seat comfort, the pillows, the cabin temperature, the wrong gin etc etc. It was their first flight in UC too!

True, true!! Just keep my fingers crossed, its worked so far for our previous UC flights!! :thumbsup2

Although I have to admit, I think it was last year when we went to Orlando, one couple complained about the colour of the pillows, the interior of the cabin and the food.....I was like Jeeeez man, enjoy yourself, your going to the best place in the world!! BUT....no kicking of seats, people leaning over me etc etc.....so for me...UC = Bliss!! :goodvibes

kevin harrison
08-27-2009, 01:52 PM
If accompanied by an explanation (ie "I'm sorry, my child is autistic"), then at least I can have some understanding and give a reply of "I understand, no worries".

We are very mindful of having well behaved children. I would never dream of letting them misbehave.

I am sorry but that reads as you have to explain and apologise for a disability. No one should ever have to apologise for a disability.

So my son gets distressed, he cries and cries and takes ages for him to stop. By you reasoning, I would be expected to tell you he is disabled, just for your piece of mind? You see how offensive that sounds?

Maybe a bit of tolerance is required? Not all children can help their behaviour. Lord forbid when or if you have children, that you have to discover this for yourself.

Pegasus928
08-27-2009, 02:40 PM
We are very mindful of having well behaved children. I would never dream of letting them misbehave.

I am sorry but that reads as you have to explain and apologise for a disability. No one should ever have to apologise for a disability.

So my son gets distressed, he cries and cries and takes ages for him to stop. By you reasoning, I would be expected to tell you he is disabled, just for your piece of mind? You see how offensive that sounds?

Maybe a bit of tolerance is required? Not all children can help their behaviour. Lord forbid when or if you have children, that you have to discover this for yourself.

As the parents of an autistic son we do explain to people, normally if our son does something that could be misunderstood as naughty, the reason why it has just happened. Without fail this always calms the situation and makes it a more pleasant environment all round - especially in such an enclosed area as an aircraft.

I didn't think the comment sounded offensive at all - especially as autism and other conditions like it are often seen as 'invisible' disabilities.
No-one should ever have to explain or apologize for any disability, but how can people be expected to be tolerant if they aren't aware of what the problem may be.

PudseyChancer
08-27-2009, 02:48 PM
As the parents of an autstic son we do explain to people, normally if our son does something that could be misunderstood as naughty, the reason why it has just happened. Without fail this always calms the situation and makes it a more pleasant environment all round - especially in such an enclosed area as an aircraft.

I didn't think the comment sounded offensive at all - especially as autism and other conditions like it are often seen as 'invisible' disabilities.
No-one should ever have to explain or apologize for any disability, but how can people be expected to be tolerant if they aren't aware of what the problem may be.

Totally agree :thumbsup2

Cosmo.Kramer
08-27-2009, 03:00 PM
Don't think it was offensive in the slighest really. :confused3

Netty
08-27-2009, 03:04 PM
As the parents of an autstic son we do explain to people, normally if our son does something that could be misunderstood as naughty, the reason why it has just happened. Without fail this always calms the situation and makes it a more pleasant environment all round - especially in such an enclosed area as an aircraft.

well said :thumbsup2

Lisa x
08-27-2009, 03:12 PM

:thumbsup2

Neoshoegal
08-27-2009, 03:13 PM

See I didn't mean in that way. But I believe Pegasus928 explained it better than I would. It helps to be tolerant and understanding if you know the circumstances.

Anyway, your last comment can also be seen as extremely ignorant and offensive.
Let me tell you a story of what happened to a friend of mine who gets that comment at times and every single time it put her close to depression.
She and her DH had been trying for years to get a child. After several treatments of IVF and going through some really rough times, they had given up. About 2 years after giving up, she got pregnant. They were obviously extremely delighted. However, she went into early labour and the baby was born at 27 weeks (or thereabouts), so for weeks her baby boy was in intensive care and for a long time it really was a matter of touch and go. After 3 months in hospital, they finally got to take their son home, but the struggle wasn't over yet. He got ill very easily for a long time, was obviously behind in growth, had trouble learning to walk, and they still didn't know if he would have any permanent brain damage as he was starved of oxigen at birth. At age 2, it looks like he made it through the worst and is doing well. Then 5 months ago, they're in a car accident and their son died. Can you begin to imagine what they have gone through??? Can you begin to imagine how much it hurts for her to get the comment "you'd understand if you'd have kids" given to her by perfect strangers???

People with kids often don't realise how painful it can be to say such a thing to other people. For all you know they might be desperate to have kids and such comments only rub it in that they don't have any. Or worse, they might have lost a child.

Maybe a bit of tolerance is required towards people without kids too?

Cosmo.Kramer
08-27-2009, 03:19 PM

Same thing I was thinking.

Lisa x
08-27-2009, 03:24 PM
People with kids often don't realise how painful it can be to say such a thing to other people. For all you know they might be desperate to have kids and such comments only rub it in that they don't have any. Or worse, they might have lost a child.

Neoshoegal, im so glad you said this, I had to second Pegasus' comment and found it hard not to go into the exact thing you mention above.

Without going into too much detail about my personal life, I too would love a child but its not going to be easy for me, if at all.

A lot of people with children throw this comment around like its nothing...so yes...''Maybe a bit of tolerance is required towards people without kids too? ''

Lizzybear
08-27-2009, 03:28 PM
People who are drunk and rowdy and people who blatantly streeetch out into your space... I know it's cramped in economy but when someone's knees are digging into yours it's a bit much! To be honest in all the flights i've been on the children have put the adults to shame ;)

scojos
08-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Neoshoegal, im so glad you said this, I had to second Pegasus' comment and found it hard not to go into the exact thing you mention above.

Without going into too much detail about my personal life, I too would love a child but its not going to be easy for me, if at all.

A lot of people with children throw this comment around like its nothing...so yes...''Maybe a bit of tolerance is required towards people without kids too? ''

Tonight, when i was ready to murder my ASD son, a very close friend came round to tell me she had finally been told she would never concieve after 3 years of various treatment and having lost 10 stone to under go IVF....
I think we all need to calm down, its a very sensitive subject, the ability to have children or not, alot of people (and i dont mean my fellow dissers:goodvibes) probabaly dont deserve to have children, we all know people who neglect or "hit" theit kids more than they should, hey ive been involved in too many child protection cases to be naive and think this stuff doesnt happen.
im also on the side of uncovering "hidden" disabilities, to advertise this we printed t shirts anyone who saw ds, also saw his autism speaks tshirt. I also totally respect that some poeple do not feel comfortable with the same exposure.
surely this thread was about annoying things on flights, not about throwing personal abuse???
Tracy

arielrocks
08-27-2009, 04:12 PM
I think we all need to calm down

Exactly this is what I was thinking too! the thread is wandering and might end up being closed!

joolz1910
08-27-2009, 04:32 PM
On a lighter note...
Isn't it nice when you get chatting to someone and strike up a real rapport. We did this on our flight to L.A. and ended up going to Universal and Magic Mountain together! We had a couple of really memorable days out.:goodvibes

bod diddy
08-27-2009, 04:42 PM
Exactly this is what I was thinking too! the thread is wandering and might end up being closed!

Heaven forbid that people might disagree on something? Sheesh.

kevin harrison
08-27-2009, 05:45 PM
See I didn't mean in that way. But I believe Pegasus928 explained it better than I would. It helps to be tolerant and understanding if you know the circumstances.

Anyway, your last comment can also be seen as extremely ignorant and offensive.
Let me tell you a story of what happened to a friend of mine who gets that comment at times and every single time it put her close to depression.
She and her DH had been trying for years to get a child. After several treatments of IVF and going through some really rough times, they had given up. About 2 years after giving up, she got pregnant. They were obviously extremely delighted. However, she went into early labour and the baby was born at 27 weeks (or thereabouts), so for weeks her baby boy was in intensive care and for a long time it really was a matter of touch and go. After 3 months in hospital, they finally got to take their son home, but the struggle wasn't over yet. He got ill very easily for a long time, was obviously behind in growth, had trouble learning to walk, and they still didn't know if he would have any permanent brain damage as he was starved of oxigen at birth. At age 2, it looks like he made it through the worst and is doing well. Then 5 months ago, they're in a car accident and their son died. Can you begin to imagine what they have gone through??? Can you begin to imagine how much it hurts for her to get the comment "you'd understand if you'd have kids" given to her by perfect strangers???

A sad story for sure. I'm sure your friend appreciated you posting it here.

The comment wasn't aimed at anyone else but you and your comments about children screaming, all I said was I bet you don't have kids. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm moving on, this will be my last post on the subject. I'm sorry it got out of hand, but it was a good debate.

dc1964
08-27-2009, 05:47 PM
This was supposed to be fun thread

kevin harrison
08-27-2009, 05:56 PM

I'm sorry if I upset you. I really hope that things work out for you.

I wasn't meaning to be mean, just the fact that someone was complaining that a 2 year old kid screamed - here's a news flash - kids do scream!!

Cosmo.Kramer
08-27-2009, 06:00 PM
This was supposed to be fun thread

If you're happy and you know it clap your hands - :dancer:party:

kevin harrison
08-27-2009, 06:13 PM
If you're happy and you know it clap your hands - :dancer:party:

Man, I loved Seinfeld. The best sitcom ever.

Cosmo.Kramer
08-27-2009, 06:28 PM
Man, I loved Seinfeld. The best sitcom ever.

For a second there I thought 'what are you talking about' :rotfl: then I remembered my screen name!

Yeah it's classic. Kramer is (obviously) my favourite.

Neoshoegal
08-27-2009, 07:28 PM
The comment wasn't aimed at anyone else but you and your comments about children screaming, all I said was I bet you don't have kids. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm sorry if I upset you. I really hope that things work out for you.

I wasn't meaning to be mean, just the fact that someone was complaining that a 2 year old kid screamed - here's a news flash - kids do scream!!

I didn't complain that a 2 year old screamed, I complained that a 2 year old screamed non stop and ran ammock for a 9 hour flight without his parents showing any concern for other passengers.
Loads of people here complained about badly behaved children and their parents, yet you just vent to me and nearly make me look like someone who has problems with disabled people.

And again with the "no children" comment. Give me break. :sad2:

john gwyn
08-27-2009, 07:35 PM
defo back seat tv not working

tinks_1989
08-28-2009, 01:59 AM
when they get to you and all the chicken options are gone

dc1964
08-28-2009, 02:08 AM
When u book a flight and 2days later virgin reduce the cost by 75 each

Ji||s
08-28-2009, 02:46 AM
The usual, people not putting their seats up at meal time and people bumping in to you constantly if you are in an aisle seat.

Though this has me kinda of dreading our flight next week with my 13 month old boy. We will have lots of toys (as quiet as kids toys can be) and snacks. Some people have suggested giving him dozol but I'm not so sure about that.

To anyone on our flight, I will be doing my best to keep him quiet, if he screams or laughs too loudly I apologise, and you will most likely see us walking up and down the aisles frequently to tire him out and keep him calm and amused.

Tony Toon
08-28-2009, 03:39 AM
The usual, ............ and people bumping in to you constantly if you are in an aisle seat.

First of all I don't wish to offend anyone who is slightly larger but on our recent trip one of the cabin crew was a particularly "wide" lady who found it difficult getting up and down the aisle without bumping into passengers. I was in the aisle seat and my family found it hugely amusing whenever (picture it) I was about to drop off or take a mouthful of my dinner.

On a different topic - when we were getting our rental car after landing I couldn't help but nudge my wife to check out the rental manager's name badge. We were so glad that our son, who would not have been able to conceal his mirth, was standing back with the luggage. The manager's name ---- Rusty Colon! :scared1:

Kath2003
08-28-2009, 04:00 AM

We're childless, not numpties! ;) Do you honestly think we've never spent time with infants?

We know kids make noise. It doesn't mean that at times that noise isn't annoying? I can understand a baby crying all I want but it doesn't change the fact that an hour of it on a flight is annoying and distressing. I can understand disabilities all I want but it doesn't change that an hour of an upset disabled child is distressing. :confused3

It's human nature to be upset when infants and children are distressed. That's how offspring survive! :idea:

lexie32
08-28-2009, 04:09 AM
i hate when the person behind you uses the back of your seat to pull themselves up with, last week on my way back from portugal i had a regular jack in the box who was in and out of his seat every coup[le of minuites, every time i got jerked backwards with massive force i'm surprised i don't have whiplash

kevin harrison
08-28-2009, 05:42 AM
i hate when the person behind you uses the back of your seat to pull themselves up with, last week on my way back from portugal i had a regular jack in the box who was in and out of his seat every coup[le of minuites, every time i got jerked backwards with massive force i'm surprised i don't have whiplash

That is annoying, just tell politely tell them, from experience people don't realize when they are doing these sort of things. Most people are very insular and are mortified if you tell them that they are doing something that is upsetting you.

DizneyDaze
08-28-2009, 06:38 AM
On the way there absolutely nothing phases me, you can bump my seat, the whole plane can cry and scream I am so happy to be heading US bound. :yay:
On the return journey it's a different matter :sad2:
But I always try to remember that the person behind me probably doesn't mean to give me whiplash everytime they need a loo break and probably doesn't even realise what they are doing, the parents of the screaming child are probably as upset as me and likely they are more embarrassed - and for those that do know that I now need a neck brace and don't care what their kids are doing, well me stressing about it won't change it - more wine please:drinking1

Obi Wan Kenobi
08-28-2009, 07:05 AM
people onbioard wearing Man utd football shirts :lmao:

arielrocks
08-28-2009, 07:22 AM

good one:cool1:

bazzanoid
08-28-2009, 07:32 AM

Attractive women wearing clothes on flights - come on, what's that about?

*ducks to avoid flames*

All joking (honest) aside, you can often get quite a laugh out of what people are wearing on the plane - i just go for comfortable trousers and t-shirt, i've seen some people wearing their 'hottest day of the year' gear in november, often forgetting that airports are air-conditioned and there's a good chance it will be stone cold by the time you get to your accommodation...

Pegasus928
08-28-2009, 08:40 AM
Attractive women wearing clothes on flights - come on, what's that about?

*ducks to avoid flames*

All joking (honest) aside, you can often get quite a laugh out of what people are wearing on the plane - i just go for comfortable trousers and t-shirt, i've seen some people wearing their 'hottest day of the year' gear in november, often forgetting that airports are air-conditioned and there's a good chance it will be stone cold by the time you get to your accommodation...

Or the ones that wear their holiday clothes for the trip back - forgetting that the UK doesn't have Florida sun, especially at 7am.
Last trip home a guy was sat in the row next to us in the skimpiest pair of shorts you can imagine - think the guys from the 118 advert but 3 times the size. Thankfully it was a night flight so the lights were off for most of it. He looked a right one going through Manchester airport though

Kath2003
08-28-2009, 08:43 AM
Or the ones that wear their holiday clothes for the trip back - forgetting that the UK doesn't have Florida sun, especially at 7am.
Last trip home a guy was sat in the row next to us in the skimpiest pair of shorts you can imagine - think the guys from the 118 advert but 3 times the size. Thankfully it was a night flight so the lights were off for most of it. He looked a right one going through Manchester airport though

I flew to Spain last month in jeans, a tshirt, a large scarf and a jacket and the plane was FREEZING. Half the plane had dressed for the Spanish weather and so were in shorts, tank tops and flip flops - they all looked miserable and frozen solid.

Trouty
08-28-2009, 09:35 AM

I notice that a lot. They tend to wear the footy strip on the way out and then on the return. I often comment on hoping they have changed in between. :laughing:

Cosmo.Kramer
08-28-2009, 10:02 AM

I usually fly back with shorts, t-shirt and a jumper.

Andrew Bichard
08-28-2009, 10:19 AM
When they make an announcement over the PA calling for a doctor and someone with a pilot's licence'.

Andrew

scojos
08-28-2009, 11:11 AM
i have a confession to make, the person in the shorts and t shirt was me:rotfl2:
Last year on the way back from turkey in october, dd threw up all over me, as me had already handed in our luggage- all iad in my hand luggage was the t shirt and shorts i had been wearing that day:scared1:, they wernt dirty, but we did land it was 5', you should have see me unpacking the case as soon as it came round on teh carousel, even i thought it was funny by then!!
i learnt a very valuable lesson that day, haha :rolleyes1

Old Swan
08-28-2009, 04:10 PM
Saw a family of four in matching Liverpool kits last July flying out of Manchester.

Guess who got pulled and taken aside for additional checking as we were boarding the bus out to Pretty woman ? Must have made the security teams day....:rotfl:

Trouty
08-28-2009, 04:44 PM
When they make an announcement over the PA calling for a doctor and someone with a pilot's licence'.

LOL.... I once flew to Paris on 'Dan Dare Airlines' and watched a bolt pop in and out of the engine for the full duration of the flight...... scary.

islandmum
08-28-2009, 05:19 PM

that always cracks me up - when we fly to the UK to see family in the winter (November and Dec) you cant believe how many Brits are boarding at Barbados dressed in their holiday gear ..... and staying in it all the way! We get out at LGW and you see them running to the car parks. I am guessing this has much to do with showing off tans as much off their clothing is also white - and then in reverse on the way out - heavy jeans and tops for landing into Barbados :confused3

us - we find the plane freezing and always have jeans and a fleece to change into in our carry on.

UKDEB
08-28-2009, 05:40 PM
The eight year old accompanied the other two to the bathroom because they were scared of the flush (what child isn't?!).
After 20 trips, the flush still scares the be-jesus out of me!

I keep my noise-reduction headphones in for much of the flight. Keeps out all sorts of unwanted interference.

As the parents of an autistic son we do explain to people, normally if our son does something that could be misunderstood as naughty, the reason why it has just happened. Without fail this always calms the situation and makes it a more pleasant environment all round - especially in such an enclosed area as an aircraft.

These opposing points of view both make sense to me. It just goes to show that it's very difficult to have a meaningful debate on a discussion forum. Things are easily misconstrued and it's tricky to express yourself in the same way you would in a real conversation.

I always try to remember that the person behind me probably doesn't mean to give me whiplash everytime they need a loo break and probably doesn't even realise what they are doing, the parents of the screaming child are probably as upset as me and likely they are more embarrassed - and for those that do know that I now need a neck brace and don't care what their kids are doing, well me stressing about it won't change it - more wine please:drinking1
Well said! I like to think that the older I get, the less judgemental I am. Live and let live was my Dad's motto, and I think he got that about right.

that always cracks me up - when we fly to the UK to see family in the winter (November and Dec) you cant believe how many Brits are boarding at Barbados dressed in their holiday gear ..... and staying in it all the way! We get out at LGW and you see them running to the car parks. I am guessing this has much to do with showing off tans as much off their clothing is also white - and then in reverse on the way out - heavy jeans and tops for landing into Barbados :confused3

us - we find the plane freezing and always have jeans and a fleece to change into in our carry on.
Hmmm. Goes to show that we all see things from our own reference point. I would rather dress in my holiday gear for the return trip and spend half an hour braving the weather back in the UK before I can get into a heated car, than lug around a change of winter clothes on the last day of my holiday in Barbados. Dh doesn't feel the cold and lives in shorts and t-shirt year round. Glad to know that we are unwittingly providing some entertainment! :laughing:

buzz for boys
08-28-2009, 05:52 PM
I have to say the worst thing I have ever experienced was this year we were first onto the plane as my son has aspergers and as we expected he had a meltdown as soon as we got boarded. Another family joined us with another autistic chap and he too joined in the screaming it was dire !!
The stewardess was fantastic and she halted boarding until they had calmed down!! Now a family of 2 adults and 1 toddler joined us in the bit behind PE she put all her stuff in the overheads and while shewas doing this her little man touched my ds special toy he hsd bought on with him prompt meltdown - i quickly apologised and sd give him a few minutes and he will be ok - she then found a stewardess really loudly said she couldnt cope with the noise and seated herself in PE !!
I was fuming as by the time she had stopped moaning ds had calmed down noone moved here!!
However revenge is sweet and in Pe was a tiny baby that screamed for the whole flight - we however had nomore meltdowns in our little cabin lol
Just annoys me that peiple look down there nose at us without knowing the facts x

GemmaPixie
08-28-2009, 07:30 PM
I really do not like to disturb or annoy others on flights. With regards to putting the chair back, I really wouldn't be comfortable if the person in front of me did it and kept it there for 9 hours....its annoying. I like to use my table for drinks, snacks or to rest my hands on when I'm holding a book. However, it's the persons prerogative. It's the airlines problems though! They want as much profit as possible so they sqeeze as many people onto a plane as their can and we have no room to move or any leg room. Then they install recliner button on the chairs so we can have less room? Sorry but it just doesn't work with me. I wouldn't say anything to the person in front but it is terribly uncomfortable (especially getting up and down if you are in a window seat).

On my holiday (On the return journey) just past my boyfriend and I were sitting in window and middle seat and Random Dave was sitting in the aisle seat. Now, as I said I don't like to be a nuisance so I didn't bother getting up the whole flight so as he wouldn't have to move but towards the end (maybe an hour left?) I really needed to use the loo so I had to get out. Well the look I got! If looks could kill! Then when I was coming out my boyfriend was in the toilet queue so I went back to near where our seats were and just waited in the aisle talking to my brother. Random Dave then gives me a dirty look and says 'I suppose you'll be wanting back in then?' and I said 'No thanks, might as well wait for my boyfriend to come out of the toilet so we can get in at the same time' and he huffed and puffed over that to!? I was trying to be nice so he would only have to move once. I must say for 9 hours me and boyf spent the whole time reading books/magazines or watching the movies...he could have gotten a lot worse people to sit beside.

Different flight (same holiday, outward journey) I had an aisle seat and a woman had two kids with her (sitting across the aisle). Well these girls just ran everywhere banging into me everytime they ran past. It was uber-annoying! The mum just kept telling them to run around as she had a magazine to read/form to fill out/movie to watch. She really didn't care about anyone else. This is what got me....they girls made friends with another girl on the flight and this mum told her two girls to go visit the other girls family and stay there! umm no-one wants to look after your children!? Oh and get this....the older girls name?......DISNEY! So all we heard was 'no disney you can sit down', 'no disney go visit your friends family' etc.

disney_princess_85
08-28-2009, 08:17 PM
Oh and get this....the older girls name?......DISNEY! So all we heard was 'no disney you can sit down', 'no disney go visit your friends family' etc.

:scared1::scared1::scared1:

Trouty
08-29-2009, 10:52 AM
Oh and get this....the older girls name?......DISNEY! So all we heard was 'no disney you can sit down', 'no disney go visit your friends family' etc.

Better than being called 'Universal Islands of Adventure' I guess hehe. :lmao:

Netty
08-29-2009, 11:04 AM

:lmao::rotfl:

DCLMan
08-29-2009, 12:15 PM

God yes, they should be wearing Arsenal tops.

GemmaPixie
08-29-2009, 03:27 PM

:rotfl2:

torsie24
08-30-2009, 07:07 PM
Wow, am I glad I'm flying indirect now!

Hopefully Detroit isn't too much of a child friendly destination!

Urgh, I'd forgotten all these horrible long haul traumas.

I totally agree with the stinky feet peeve!

What also made me dread a 13 hour flight to Vegas once was as I got on, the man next to me (he was by the window, me middle and Jack on the aisle) said 'hi' we were chatting, and he proceeded to tell me before we were even moving how ill he had been on the last flight he was on!!

Oh and flying back from Dubai once a lady (who I felt so sorry for) was travelling with her two children, one a baby and one maybe 2 years old. Well she got up to take the baby to the loo, and the 2 year old was asleep. But she woke up while her mum was gone and staterd screaming for her, but couldn't speak english so we were trying to calm her to no avail. Poor little thing, and the poor Mum, such an awkward flight for her. Not annoying at all, but it still makes me sad how scared the little girl must have been. :(

Lil_Me
08-31-2009, 04:59 AM
On my holiday (On the return journey) just past my boyfriend and I were sitting in window and middle seat and Random Dave was sitting in the aisle seat. Now, as I said I don't like to be a nuisance so I didn't bother getting up the whole flight so as he wouldn't have to move but towards the end (maybe an hour left?) I really needed to use the loo so I had to get out. Well the look I got! If looks could kill! Then when I was coming out my boyfriend was in the toilet queue so I went back to near where our seats were and just waited in the aisle talking to my brother. Random Dave then gives me a dirty look and says 'I suppose you'll be wanting back in then?' and I said 'No thanks, might as well wait for my boyfriend to come out of the toilet so we can get in at the same time' and he huffed and puffed over that to!? I was trying to be nice so he would only have to move once. I must say for 9 hours me and boyf spent the whole time reading books/magazines or watching the movies...he could have gotten a lot worse people to sit beside.

We had a similar experience on our first flight out except someone decided to place a little old disabled lady next to us who slept most of the way. We felt awful having to wake her up and get her to move (which took a long time) but it was more annoying that the flight was no where near full and there was an entire row behind us that she could have sat in without needing to be disturbed by anyone.

Cosmo.Kramer
08-31-2009, 06:07 AM
Wow, am I glad I'm flying indirect now!

Hopefully Detroit isn't too much of a child friendly destination!

Urgh, I'd forgotten all these horrible long haul traumas.

Hate to break it to you, but families still travel indirect, and there's just the same problems on indirect flights.

angelbaby29871
08-31-2009, 06:09 AM
teenagers who think it is funny to switch the light on abouvr you after you ave switcvhed ot off to get a sleep. this happened to me for nearly haf an hour i thought it was me or that the light was faulty untill i saw the hand sneak through abovr my head to switch it on. i grab the hand and squeezed it until the owner let out a yell.(yes i know it was a rotten thing to do). the kid got his parent who proceeded to ahve a go at me so i called the stewardess over and read the riot act as i didn't kow who this hand belonged to and more to the point what it was going to do to me. turns out his parents had left him to sit there and moved 4 rows forward to get away from him as he was a right little g*t

Cosmo.Kramer
08-31-2009, 06:19 AM
teenagers who think it is funny to switch the light on abouvr you after you ave switcvhed ot off to get a sleep. this happened to me for nearly haf an hour i thought it was me or that the light was faulty untill i saw the hand sneak through abovr my head to switch it on. i grab the hand and squeezed it until the owner let out a yell.(yes i know it was a rotten thing to do). the kid got his parent who proceeded to ahve a go at me so i called the stewardess over and read the riot act as i didn't kow who this hand belonged to and more to the point what it was going to do to me. turns out his parents had left him to sit there and moved 4 rows forward to get away from him as he was a right little g*t

And that was a teenager! :eek:

15isto2
08-31-2009, 07:49 AM
No need for adult only flights BUT anyone, adult, teen or child who causes a disturbance should immediately be thrown off the flight.... parachute optional

Now I bet behaviour would improve :mad:

TCO
09-01-2009, 03:13 PM
The main reason we want to upgrade to PE this time is last time I felt awful having to ask the gent in the aisle seat to let us out, much rather just have the 2 of us sat there.

What worries me is I've noticed that even if I pay for PE I may be sat downstairs in a 4 and still next to people.

tttessa
09-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Hi,
my peeve was last year we (2 adults, 2 kids) were sat as a 2 and 2 - divide and conquer works best with our 2 girls nearly the same age- they were exceptionally well behaved (see - there are some you know!)-their first flight, so excited about it, Nintendo DS, colouring/reading books etc etc etc.....
But of course the LAST family at check in got split up - luckily, we had a really lovely young lady next to us - she was impeccably behaved and chatted nicely, but we found out she was 12 years old, and her parents were 15 rows behind with her 9 yr old brother

This of course made me feel really responsible for her - what if there had been a problem requiring getting off the plane?? Surely the parents should have split, not expect their child to have to tag onto another family???? Was flattered of course that we obviously looked "nice" enough - but as a worrier, it did me no favours to have an extra one to worry about!

Tessa

joolz1910
09-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Hi,
my peeve was last year we (2 adults, 2 kids) were sat as a 2 and 2 - divide and conquer works best with our 2 girls nearly the same age- they were exceptionally well behaved (see - there are some you know!)-their first flight, so excited about it, Nintendo DS, colouring/reading books etc etc etc.....
But of course the LAST family at check in got split up - luckily, we had a really lovely young lady next to us - she was impeccably behaved and chatted nicely, but we found out she was 12 years old, and her parents were 15 rows behind with her 9 yr old brother

This of course made me feel really responsible for her - what if there had been a problem requiring getting off the plane?? Surely the parents should have split, not expect their child to have to tag onto another family???? Was flattered of course that we obviously looked "nice" enough - but as a worrier, it did me no favours to have an extra one to worry about!

Tessa

That is awful. Surely one of the parents should have sat with you and the two kids with the other parent? They could have taken it in turns. Like you said, what would have happened in an emergency? Also, it's a good job she wasn't badly behaved or a nervous/nauseous passenger!

Scrap_Vamp
09-02-2009, 01:43 PM
My most annoying thing used to be people invading personal space, or kicking chairs, but last night I experienced both in one.

This teenage girl behind me apparently couldn't sit with her feet on the floor - she was repeatedly kicking my chair and, worse still, her feet repeatedly appeared on the arm rest between me and DH! :scared1: This is bad enough for anyone, but I have a real problem with the feet of strangers so I felt quite traumatised, lol!

Beth__WDW23/6/02
09-02-2009, 04:00 PM
Seat reclining is one! I know yes you've paid for the seat and what comes with it,but surely out of respect for the one's behind you put it back up when eating etc..I find it annoying too when the seats reclined and the person is then pushing it even further back..It doesn't go into lying position :rolleyes1

Some idiot who decides they are higher than everyone and decide to test out the smoke alarms onboard in the toilets :mad: Yes it happened coming home in July..he then insisted he "wasn't smoking" even though they know he was..

Ohhhhhhh and duty free! how come they start from the back working their way to the front by the time they get to you there is nothing left..I ended up paying 8 for some celebrations to keep the children happy ..Yes I'm crazy but at the time..and after the horrid meal they was worth every penny :rotfl:

disneyannie
09-06-2009, 04:03 PM
On the whole the flights are ok. The noise of the engines cover any noise from other travellers.

It bugs me when waiting for our cases at the carousels that the whole family including their trolley have to all wait together, hogging metres of space, why not just one member wait at the carousel, so we can all get in.

We always sit towards the back of the plane, it always shocks me at just how much rubbish many people leave on their seats and on the floor - animals.

For the record - i would never put my seat back down and don't like it when it happens to me, particually as i am a large lady and need all the space i can when getting out to the loo - so if i accidently without thinking grab hold of your seat - it might just be that you have invaded my space!!!!!

barnaby1
09-07-2009, 06:02 PM
2 serious pet peeves.

At the luggage carousel when everyone stands right next to the belt so no one can actually see their luggage coming. If everyone stood 2 feet back behind the line everyone could see and just move forward when their suitcase appeared. I constantly embarrass my husband by commenting on this very loudly!!!

Disruptive children or more to the point their parents who think it is OK for their children to annoy everyone else. I have had it all: sitting upstairs in PE in the front with a 2 year old who was allowed to run and shout up and down the aisle all flight while having to explain in a loud voice to my then 2 year old why she couldn't do the same.
On the way back from Melbourne recently the people in front of me strapped their 18 month old into her seat, put their eye shades on and essentially ignored her for 12 hours. Needless to say the poor child got a bit bored and verbalised this fact reguarly. They would look over once in a while to ask her to be quiet.

To outrun all of them I returned from New York yesterday. On the flight over we had the family from **** (in upper class I might add), useless Dad, wishy washy Mum and 2 boys about 2 and 4. Mum thought it was OK for her children to make as much noise as they wanted including constantly taking clothes off and on and climbing and jumping over the suite partitions. She even gave them noise making toys so we constantly heard woody and buzzlightyear and their (not so cute after a few hours) sayings.
I put up with it for about 5 hours but then I complained and they told them off. Mum then turned into really stressed out can't cope mum. Almost felt a little sorry for her but actually that was short lived.
Some people need to realise that you need to actually do a bit of looking after and planning for your children on flights. I haven't watched a film in 3.5 years on a flight but my dd doesn't disturb anyone!

Andrew Bichard
09-07-2009, 06:47 PM
I have had it all: sitting upstairs in PE in the front with a 2 year old who was allowed to run and shout

.... Mum thought it was OK for her children to make as much noise as they wanted

....I haven't watched a film in 3.5 years on a flight but my dd doesn't disturb anyone!

That's why my wife & I bought a pair of Bose noise reduction headphones each. They even have adaptors to fit most aircraft sound systems, ipods or just use them to block out the noise and sleep.

Andrew