PDA

View Full Version : Flying with a 14 month old on your lap.

UKDEB
08-25-2009, 06:37 AM
Has anyone done this? Is it a crazy notion? I'm trying to price up a trip for my daughter and her partner in October. Surprisingly I can get a really good price in Virgin Economy with M+M (379 each - 247 of which is taxes :rolleyes:), but there's no way they could afford to pay for a seat for their son. (I'm assuming the cost of a seat would be the full adult price?)

UKDEB
08-25-2009, 06:41 AM
It's just dawned on me that he'll be 16 months when they fly. :headache:

bobo_UK
08-25-2009, 06:45 AM
Yes its doable and if its the choice between going and not going its a no brainer.
We did it in 2004 and although hard work it wasn't that bad. On the way out we had bulkhead seats so we were able to put blankets on the floor and let her play and sit on the floor. On the way back she slept for 90% of the journey so other than having a baby laid across your for 7 hours it wasn't a big deal.

I think if you were to buy a ticket it would be a child price, we asked and it was about 350 at the time so decided against.

paulh
08-25-2009, 06:54 AM
if your able to get M+M for the flight chances are it might not be full so they might be able to get a seat after take off(this happened today on our way back for someone with us airways)
Paul

Cosmo.Kramer
08-25-2009, 07:00 AM
We're going with our 14 month old in 29 days but we've booked a seat for as last year she didn't settle at all on the flight, which made it a REALLY long flight. Depends on the child though.

Tammy Stringer
08-25-2009, 07:37 AM
Deb

We did it with both the girls - admittedly they were both nearly 23 months old but it was fine.

You know us there is no way we would pay for a child seat if we could get them there for nothing on our lap :rotfl:

We found as long as you took plenty of things to keep them interested - a small bag of new toys, stickers, snacks etc., and once the seat belt sign is off lots of walking with them up and down the aisles - they were fine. The worse thing is when they drop off and you need to then wake them to put the lap belt on if it isn't already.

Tam

JohnnySharp2
08-25-2009, 08:03 AM
We did this when Joshua was 10 months old (picture below refers), seem to remember it was hard work (then again he always is :)).
Tried to use the sky cot thingy but he didn't settle in that at all, spent most of the time with his mum if I remember rightly.

I think the next time when we was about 2 we bought him a seat.

To be honest I don't know how we coped with him being so young - I suppose the fact we were over 10 years younger helped.

scojos
08-25-2009, 08:36 AM
DD was 18months old the 1st time we travelled, on the way there we had bulk head seats, and there was a "spare" seat so she really got her own seat - i didnt pay for it.
on the way home the plane was rammed and i had her on my lap (asleep) all the way home, it was tight, but i couldnt have paid the extra 300 for her to travel.
lots of snacks and drinks are advised...;)
Tracy

islandmum
08-25-2009, 08:49 AM
if they cant afford it then do it .... but its not going to be easy most likely. Okay for the night flight when the babe will hopefully sleep but the day flight could be a pain.

But then again its only 9 hours out of their lives and a holiday the other side of it!

BRobson
08-25-2009, 09:22 AM
We did it with Molly at 15 months and Lewis and 16 months and it was fine :)

The only bit Lewis hated was being tied in with the belt on my lap for take off :scared1:

Other than that the tvs distracted them and I just had a bribe bag of little things that we got out to play with - small magna doodle, stickers,books etc - by the time they eat , the go for a couple of laps round the plane and an afternoon nap the time soon flies.

Now my two are 7 & 9 and were quite self sufficient last year - I was actually lost with how to fill 9 hours as I am soooo out of practice relaxing :lmao:

Elise79
08-25-2009, 09:36 AM
I think it depends on the child.

We took Chloe at 9 months on our laps and said 'never again'! She has her own seat next month when she will be 15 mths.

Ou reasons are she does not like to sit on peoples laps - quick cuddle yes but not for 9 hours and we would all be miserable. She likes to be independent and I struggled to keep her still in the lap belt for take off and landing last time and wanted her in a 5 point harness next time. I have to say though she has never been a 'sit still' type baby and was walking happily by 11 months (having been furniture surfing since 6 months :scared1:)

Cosmo.Kramer
08-25-2009, 12:36 PM
Agree about the depends on the child argument. Mollie is a very independant little madam so it's difficult to get her to stay still on your lap for any length of time.

Obi Wan Kenobi
08-25-2009, 01:05 PM
Yes, it can be done, here is us in 2003 when little 'un was 18 months
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a346/aja1958/DSCF0660.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a346/aja1958/DSCF0665.jpg

T16GEM
08-25-2009, 01:07 PM
Harley was due to turn 2 the day after we flew back, he sat on my lap the whole time, and enjoyed his cuddles. There was no way we were paying for a seat for him when we didn't need to. He was fine, he is an active little chappy but we played and watched some tv together so it was fine. :goodvibes

The only time I would say was difficult was during meal times, but we had a word with the hostess and asked her if she could keep either DH's or my meal back until the other had finished as there was no way that you could get the table down with them on your lap!

Cosmo.Kramer
08-25-2009, 01:07 PM
Looks like you have quite a bit of room there.

JohnnySharp2
08-25-2009, 01:17 PM
I would imagine it would be harder the less legroom, seat comfort you have, harder in Economy than PE/UC for sure.

paulh
08-25-2009, 01:28 PM
You know us there is no way we would pay for a child seat if we could get them there for nothing on our lap :rotfl:

Now me would have the 13 year old to sit on DW lap and 21 year old on mine if i could save money:rotfl:
Paul

UKDEB
08-25-2009, 01:39 PM
Oh, ha ha, Obi - those armrests in UC are bigger than a seat in Economy! :rotfl2:

Not sure whether it's going to happen now anyway. Matt phoned DVC Member Services earlier and there's no studio available anywhere for their dates. We can get SSR for all but two of their nights, so may have to take that and waitlist. I'm 99.9% sure it'll come through, but it's a bit of a gamble.

Obi Wan Kenobi
08-25-2009, 02:05 PM
Looks like you have quite a bit of room there.

Its the old UC seats, the very comfortable Recaro seats.
They should have put those in PE when they fitted the UC suites!

Obi Wan Kenobi
08-25-2009, 02:14 PM
Oh, ha ha, Obi - those armrests in UC are bigger than a seat in Economy! :rotfl2:

Not sure whether it's going to happen now anyway. Matt phoned DVC Member Services earlier and there's no studio available anywhere for their dates. We can get SSR for all but two of their nights, so may have to take that and waitlist. I'm 99.9% sure it'll come through, but it's a bit of a gamble.

What about using your RCI availability to one of the resorts off site but close to WDW? Orange Lake or Vistana for example?

kevin harrison
08-25-2009, 02:27 PM
There is no way my children could have sat on my lap for 9 hours. Anyone brave enough to try that with their kids in Economy deserves a medal or an award for services to tightness :-)

UKDEB
08-25-2009, 05:14 PM
What about using your RCI availability to one of the resorts off site but close to WDW? Orange Lake or Vistana for example?
Not something I've ever needed to consider, Obi, so it wouldn't have occurred to me, but I'll look into it. Thanks.

Anyone brave enough to try that with their kids in Economy deserves a medal or an award for services to tightness :-)
Tightness is something we could never be accused of, Kev. We're generosity personified, but in the financial doldrums at the moment, so can't afford to help them out (other than to give them "free" accommodation courtesy of our DVC).

UKDEB
08-25-2009, 05:17 PM
Thanks to everyone for your responses, btw - it's been really helpful. :goodvibes

PoppyAnna
08-25-2009, 05:44 PM
When youngest was 19m we bought a VA economy seat, as we've always bought a seat I have nothing to compare it to, youngest wasn't a sit still toddler so this is what made our mind up. With my eldest it may have worked quite well, I really think it depends on the child and their routine (how well they sleep in awkward places etc).

In my opinion if it was the difference being going and not, I'd go for it:thumbsup2

HTH

UKDEB
08-25-2009, 06:49 PM
Little Lou is a happy little chappy - always smiling and nothing fazes him. He sleeps from 8:30 at night until 8:30 the next morning, plus a couple of naps during the day. The rest of the time he's always on the go, so goodness knows how he'll be on a plane, but you've all set my mind at rest that it's not a totally ludicrous proposition.

Here he is on his first birthday in July. :lovestruc

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii182/UKDeb/Baby/IMG_0156.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii182/UKDeb/Baby/IMG_0165.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii182/UKDeb/Baby/IMG_0208.jpg

Cyrano
08-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Deb can't offer any advice but just wanted to say that your grandson is a little trooper :goodvibes

disneyholic family
08-25-2009, 08:39 PM
i never bought a seat for them until i had to...

it's doable - hard, but doable..

if you can get a night flight, it's easier...then at least they sleep most of the time...
otherwise it can be the 'flight from hell'....still, better than paying the ridiculous airline fares...

Elise79
08-26-2009, 12:58 AM
For reference the child fare is slightly less than adults but what kills is that they have to pay full taxes :scared1:

Hope you can get something sorted for them :thumbsup2

wilma-bride
08-26-2009, 02:12 AM
Deb, no advice to offer but just wanted to say I hope you manage to get something sorted for them :thumbsup2

tony64
08-26-2009, 02:34 AM
Hi Debs
Not flight related, just picking up on the Vistana option.

Will they have a car? If not there is a scuttle bus service from Vistana but it's not free and not frequent.

Hope you get it sorted.

grannyed
08-26-2009, 02:37 AM
I also have read this thread with interest since we are wondering the same thing for our DGD who will be 18 months when we travel next August....and we need to make our mind up since we will probably be able to book next month.

Also just wanted to say what a lovely little boy he is!!!!

jockey
08-26-2009, 03:30 AM
We have always bought seats for the kids and taken their car seats on board but last trip DD spent most of the time on my knee so we have decided to take DD as a lap baby! I reckon bring lots to keep them occupied and it will be fine :)

dc1964
08-26-2009, 03:40 AM
dont want to be a party pooper but what is it like for someone sitting next to a parent with a nearly 2 year old on their lap, especially in economy, i would imagine it has the potential to be a flight from hell.
I would imagine in UC it is not so bad unless the baby is crying all the time and then it would also be unpleasant for other UC passengers
I am not having a go here trust me, my kids are now 21 and 19 so have been there, but the knock on effect to other passengers has to be considered.

Netty
08-26-2009, 04:13 AM
Deb sorry no advice from me on this as our youngest was 6 when first went on a plane. Just wanted to say your grandson is absolutely gorgeous!! :cloud9:

Lizzybear
08-26-2009, 05:51 AM
I would do it, it's not just a matter of a small saving in most cases but several hundred pounds so I really don't see how being 'tight' comes into it :rolleyes: I think the thing with economy on a longhaul flight is that's it really not that hard to annoy others even unintentionally since everyone is in a cramped space for an extended length of time... There are far worse things someone could do than have a young child on their lap! ;)

Head_in_the_clouds
08-26-2009, 06:00 AM
dont want to be a party pooper but what is it like for someone sitting next to a parent with a nearly 2 year old on their lap, especially in economy, i would imagine it has the potential to be a flight from hell.
I would imagine in UC it is not so bad unless the baby is crying all the time and then it would also be unpleasant for other UC passengers
I am not having a go here trust me, my kids are now 21 and 19 so have been there, but the knock on effect to other passengers has to be considered.

I don't know how they do it given that with online check in etc, you tend to be able to pick your own seats but with Virgin, i've tended to notice that if there are two different families with babies for example they will tend to sit them together in the first row of a set of seats. I'm sorry I don't know for definite what they are called, it is the Bulkhead Seats? Because we have flown a lot outside of term-time over the past few years, we have had a lot of babies on our flight. I have to say, in general, I've found that they have been better behaved than a lot of the adults and certainly the older kids! At least they don't kick the back of your seat constantly, or recline the seats in front of you during your dinner, or decide to stand up in the aisle next to you, lean on your seat and have a full blown conversation half way through the night flight while you are trying to sleep :rotfl:. The worst thing baby related that I remember was the mother who didn't change her little boys nappy once in the whole flight - the smell was just so erm :scared1:! It was a five year old that ruined my night flight home once as a teenager. She had her own seat but lay across both her parents... and me. She kept kicking me, thumping me across the face when I fell asleep and at one point kicked me in the head. Her mum just ignored what she was doing :confused3. We have had screaming babies on board but honestly, its not that bad.

Debbie your little Grandson is a stunner! I could just imagine him now with a pair of mickey ears on running around disney :goodvibes. I hope you manage to sort something out. Its extremely kind and generous of you and I could imagine a young couple with a baby could really benefit from the holiday. They do tend to give however many skycots are available to the youngest babies on the plane so if he is one of the youngest on the plane that day that could help. I have noticed most parents seem to just use it for putting things in though like nappies, bottles and toys. I think there are quite a lot of US based websites with advice about travelling this way too so they might help. I think allears might even have tips about it. With the accommodation side of things, I hope you manage to get the something with DVC for the full length of stay but we often have the same problem with RCI. We usually stay somewhere like Homewood Suites, Bahama Bay or (this year) Lake Eve for two nights or so. We have noticed that if we were willing to stay in a hotel for a couple of nights instead we could do so really cheaply even for a reasonable standard of accomodation.

Nubbedy
08-26-2009, 06:07 AM
When we originally booked our Aug hol we intended having DS on our laps as he would be 19 months. However as it got closer we realised he was far too busy and wriggly to sit on our laps so we ended up paying a ridiculous amount of money for a seat for him last minute. I have to say it was a lot of money but I am so glad we did it, especially as I don't fly well. He would have been ok on the flight home, but was way too busy on the way out, even when strapped in his own seat!

It really does depend on the child I think (and your grandson is gorgeous by the way!). Do Virgin give the option of getting a seat for him on the way out and having him as a lap passenger for flight home (when he will most likely sleep) - I don't know if that's possible, but with hindsight that would have been ideal for us as Jack slept nearly all the way home.

Booknut
08-26-2009, 06:15 AM
We took Matilda to Portugal when she was 8 months old and didn't book a seat for her. Luckily the flight wasn't booked so she did get her own 'seat' and only had to be on our laps for take-off and landing. She was good as gold.

My only concern would be as October is still technically hurricane season and having flown twice now around that time when the flights back home were horrendous due to turbulence that it might be more comfortable and safer to have the child in a car seat/in its own seat.

If they fly mid-week they will have a much better chance at getting that middle seat to themselves anyway so i'd say go for it!

BTW, Lou is absolutely gorgeous :cloud9: How lucky that he sleeps so much...i'm jealous as my little girl is a bit more 'Stitch' than she is 'princess' ;)

Clare D
08-26-2009, 08:05 AM
We faced this dilema on our trip just when Owen was nearly 16 months old. In the end we sat him on our knee and it worked fine. The flight out was a bit of a pain as we were given 2 bulk head seats with another just behind on the next row. This meant that my DH had both boys with him as he needed the leg room more than me. Once the seatbelt signs were off though we took it in turns walking Owen around the plane.
There was another couple on board with 20 month old twins and they only had the 2 seats so we would meet up with them around the staff areas and have a chat so this broke the time up.
I took Owen a bottle (even though he doesn't have one during the day) with powdered formula and this helped get him to sleep. The crew were really helpful getting me the hot water.
On the trip back he was as good as gold and again we were given bulk head seats all together. He slept nearly all the way home on DH and this was fine even with turbulence and thundering and lightening like you've never seen.
We didn't need loads of toys or snacks as we were looked after by the cabin crew and Owen was more than happy looking out of the windows and being fussed by the other passengers.
My DS is just like your grandson, a really good sleeper, but it is only now nearly 2 weeks after our return he has been able to get back in his routine. When we got back we would wake up at 10pm and be wide awake until 2 in the morning but then he and his brother would sleep until 2 in the afternoon.

Ji||s
08-26-2009, 08:32 AM
DH and I are taking our 13mo Jake in 9 days so I could tell you better when we are back. :banana:

Jake wriggles like mad but is also a big flirt so I am hoping that the flight attendants and other passengers will humour him. I am also bringing lots of snacks and have hidden some of his smaller toys now so they seem new to him on the plane. We have also upgraded to premium so hopefully it should be a bit easier, but I can see there being much walking around.

I think there are 2 other families from this forum on our flight, we'll try and keep him as calm and quiet as a 13 month old can be. :wizard:

JohnnySharp2
08-26-2009, 09:28 AM
Totally pointless post (what's new) but I like the little chap's guitar - that is cool. :)

T16GEM
08-26-2009, 11:32 AM
Totally pointless post (what's new) but I like the little chap's guitar - that is cool. :)

:rotfl:
:goodvibes

UKDEB
08-26-2009, 12:35 PM
Deb can't offer any advice but just wanted to say that your grandson is a little trooper :goodvibes

Also just wanted to say what a lovely little boy he is!!!!

Deb sorry no advice from me on this as our youngest was 6 when first went on a plane. Just wanted to say your grandson is absolutely gorgeous!! :cloud9:

Debbie your little Grandson is a stunner!

(and your grandson is gorgeous by the way!)

BTW, Lou is absolutely gorgeous :cloud9:
Thank you for all your lovely comments. :goodvibes
Will they have a car? If not there is a scuttle bus service from Vistana but it's not free and not frequent.
They've only got 8 nights to play with and so hadn't been considering WDW initially, but with some other options (such as Turkey and the Canaries) coming in fairly expensive, it seemed like the perfect solution to me. Staying onsite would provide "free" accommodation thanks to our DVC as well as free transportation so no need to hire a car (particularly as 8 days isn't really long enough to do anything much offsite).

dont want to be a party pooper but what is it like for someone sitting next to a parent with a nearly 2 year old on their lap, especially in economy, i would imagine it has the potential to be a flight from hell.You make a valid point, dc, but as others have mentioned the list of potential anger triggers is endless.

And I love the way it looks as though he's actually playing it, with his hands in the correct position. Needless to say, he's a genius. ;)

disneyholic family
08-26-2009, 01:46 PM
Debbie, i don't know why i didn't see the pictures the first time i was in this thread, but i came back in now and saw the pictures...
he is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
how totally adorable!!!!!!!!!!!

wideeyes
08-26-2009, 03:13 PM
He is a little cutie.

If it is what the budget allows then I would have him on the lap, I am sure it will be worth it in the end.

jockey
08-27-2009, 08:11 AM

I sort of know where you are coming from but at the end of the day Orlando is a family destination. When DH and I travelled there before we had kids we did not mind if kids were kicking off, airports etc can be stressful for adults as well as kids. If people don't want the hassle they should hire a private jet!

Cosmo.Kramer
08-27-2009, 08:16 AM

Hence why, it was a bit of a push but we went for the extra seat so that Mollie could sit in between us.

kristieuk
08-27-2009, 04:04 PM
What a little cutie!!

DD was 16 months when we flew to Tampa last year, and we didn't get her a seat, just hard to justify another 500 when she was unlikely to actually sit still anyway. She was fine, although she's no shrinking violet. We had the bulkhead seats with bassinet going out and she sat on the bassinet for a bit, played at our feet for a bit....it wasn't that difficult. Coming home, she slept on DH's lap. If money is an issue, it's completely do-able. Hope you manage to get something sorted :goodvibes

Cosmo.Kramer
08-27-2009, 04:10 PM
We paid 300 for Mollie's seat. It wasn't just the seat though. It was also the fact we wouldn't have anyone sitting next to us and that she'd have a little extra room to move about, not so much sitting down all the time.

kristieuk
08-27-2009, 04:32 PM
We paid 300 for Mollie's seat. It wasn't just the seat though. It was also the fact we wouldn't have anyone sitting next to us and that she'd have a little extra room to move about, not so much sitting down all the time.

We did have the benefit of DD9 travelling with us, so we took the 3 seats nearest the window and therefore didn't have anyone next to us. But the little one was fine throughout, and wouldn't have bothered anyone sat next to us I don't think - but I accept, that would be a risk.

Pugsly
08-28-2009, 01:37 PM
I don't really have an opinion on your original question, Deb (I did fly with Evan when he was just a couple of months old - but that was no more than a 1.5 hour flight), but I wanted to say how simply adorable Louis is! What a doll!!!!!!!

Cosmo.Kramer
08-28-2009, 02:01 PM
We did have the benefit of DD9 travelling with us, so we took the 3 seats nearest the window and therefore didn't have anyone next to us. But the little one was fine throughout, and wouldn't have bothered anyone sat next to us I don't think - but I accept, that would be a risk.

Yeah, as I say i'm only speaking for myself. Mollie is a bit too independant for her own good so wouldn't want her climbing over another passenger. :hug:

Elise79
08-28-2009, 02:55 PM
Yeah, as I say i'm only speaking for myself. Mollie is a bit too independant for her own good so wouldn't want her climbing over another passenger. :hug:
I know that feeling!