PDA

View Full Version : Technical Stop on US Airways at Philadelphia?

BPTP
08-21-2009, 06:03 AM
We're trying to plan our first trip for next easter and have found a quote from manchester with US Airways for 2326 (2 ADULTS & 2 CHILDREN) which is 600 cheaper than anything else. It says its a direct flight with 'a technical stop at Philadelphia to check for US entry and transit Visa (or something like that!). Can anyone enlighten me on this? I realise we need various visas/paperwork which I havent started looking into yet, however why the stop? Will we have to get off the plane? Would anyone recommend this? What are US Airlines like?
Thanks

orangetiggs
08-21-2009, 06:14 AM
might be a refuel, could have passengers getting off and new ones getting on. it will be the same immigration you get in orlando just in philly.

Might be a plane swap as well depending on how many they have flying onto orlando so might be a small wait

Having only done direct flights I dont know for sure sorry

UKDEB
08-21-2009, 06:23 AM
As far as I'm aware, the definition of a direct flight means there will be no change of aircraft. By law you must clear immigration and customs at your point of entry into the US, so you will have to get off the plane.

Non-Stop = exactly what it says on the tin.
Direct = one or more stopovers, but same flight number and no change of aircraft.
Indirect = one or more stops and a change of flight/aircraft.

KatieG73
08-21-2009, 06:31 AM
We've flown US Air a few times and think they are great, we fly from Glasgow and always have to change planes at Philidelphia or Charlotte but this is indirect - am sure for a direct flight you shouldn't have to change planes.

One thing to bear in mind - not sure where you got your quote from but if you book through US Air's UK Site direct it's cheaper than going through netflights etc.

We've always found US Air flights to be fine, we've found that they tend not to be full either so plenty of room.
We used to always fly Virgin but flying US Air saves us around 1000 per trip!!!

Anjel1310
08-21-2009, 09:37 AM
We did a similar flight last year, the plane landed to refuel and we has about an hour and half at the airport, then took off again. No additional passengers and the same plane.
I have flown with Us airways loads of times with no problems but always book direct on their site, the same with United Airlines as i find their own sites to be a little cheaper.

http://www.********************/timers/tickers/f3mgjmfiig9nah5k.png (http://www.********************/timers/)

BPTP
08-21-2009, 11:22 AM
thanks folks

Cochise
08-21-2009, 12:02 PM
Cant see this being a refuel, will be the normal change of plane/customs/immigration etc, they arent going to use the 330 for the flight down to Orlando, internals for US tend to be on A320's or B737's.
We loved them, the A330 has a 34in seat pitch in economy which is unrivalled and has on demand seat back IFE. Philly is a busy airport but has a great terminal for you that is not much more than 5 years old i think. If they are a good price and you dont mind a journey with a change then they are very good