PDA

View Full Version : Couple questions, customs

Mad4WDW
08-17-2009, 08:18 AM
hey all!

Our next trip is fast approaching, just 4 weeks now, have a couple quick questions about customs and immigration on the US side if anyone could be so gracious to help with.

Firstly, This time I am just travelling with my married sister (her hubby cant make it)..I take it we will need 2 seperate white customs forms (I-94w I think) as we are two different names even tho same family. I am sure this is the case but confirmation would be appreciated...seems like forever I last filled one in!

Secondly, on our last trip, we were asked what we did for a living. This time, having sold my previous house and moved into a smaller property, I am taking a little sabbatical and living off the proceeds for a short time. If asked again, would it be best to say just that or fib a little and just say what I was doing before? I would rather not lie, but I do not want any hassles ala "not working how can you afford to come on this trip?!" and hold ups at customs.

Thanks for any advice

Paul

bazzanoid
08-17-2009, 09:34 AM
Hi, yes use two separate forms... they define clearly on the forms that separate households must use different forms, i.e. if your sister lives in a house other than yours, you need to fill in a separate form. DW has a different passport surname to me but goes on my white slip as she lives with me.

I'm assuming you've already registered with US Customs & Immigration online as required, if not the website is https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/ and you must register at least 72 hours before you go. This replaces the green visa waiver forms and is now a requirement.

EDIT: Thinking about it, I'm not entirely sure if you need to fill in the white form anymore either, it may be covered in the online application....

With regards to your occupation, it's just for their records, so don't put 'terrorist' or 'spy' and you'll be fine. I'm a bit reluctant about saying 'unemployed' so just use your most recent job function, presumably you'll be going back to doing something similar when you run out of savings. After all, an Unemployed computer engineer is still a computer engineer, you just leave off the unemployed bit!

Baz

wickesy
08-17-2009, 11:36 AM
Yes you will need to fill out two white forms and, for the moment, two green forms.

I would be hesitant to tell any sort of 'fib' at Immigration just in case (and I know it is HIGHLY unlikely) they made any further checks. I would just say "Normally I'm a X but at the moment I'm living off the proceeds of a house sale".

epcot.girl
08-17-2009, 11:53 AM
I don't recall ever giving US Immigration any information about my occupation.

Either way, wouldn't bother me in the slightest to say that I'm unemployed (although on this trip it's going to be 'student'). It's not a crime to be without work.

epcot.girl
08-17-2009, 11:54 AM
I don't recall ever giving US Immigration any information about my occupation.

Either way, wouldn't bother me in the slightest to say that I'm unemployed (although on this trip it's going to be 'student'). It's not a crime to be without work.

howlongtillsummer?
08-17-2009, 12:00 PM
I know what you mean! But I also get really nervous going through immigration! Just the very thought that they have the capability to turn you back round home sets me off.

We have never had any problems and I would do what makes you feel most comfortable. It is really a painless process!

Mad4WDW
08-17-2009, 05:55 PM
Thanks all for the form confirmation and the advice about customs..still not sure what I will do if I am asked...I think I shall just be honest and say right now I'm living off house sale money. As you say, it is not a crime to not be working!

Thanks again