PDA

View Full Version : HELP re Hotels !

ctkj001
08-10-2009, 02:07 AM
Hi was wondering if people can give me advice for hotels we have narrowed it down to three??? the santa fe? newport bay or the cheyenne, can people give me there experiences from these? many thanks:yay:

A Small World
08-10-2009, 02:13 AM
Ive stayed at all 3 and they are all nice for different reasons

The santa fe is the cheapest and the theming isnt as good but its clean comfy and fine if you just want a bed to sleep in

The cheyenne has bunks instead of 2 doubles which is why we went for it when we did. The theming is great

Newport bay is lovely but very very big- lovely bright airy rooms and it has a pool as well if you think you might swim

When are you going and how many people? Have you children with you? Is it your first time? coz if so you might not spend much time at the hotel

ctkj001
08-10-2009, 02:15 AM
we are going hopefully end aug so not long, yes its first time, two children one of 4 and one 1 yr old !, wow you stayed at all three. im thinking the cheyenne then would be a good allrounder?

A Small World
08-10-2009, 02:18 AM
The children will love cheyenne then like a western town. Its a bit further to walk than Newport bay but not far and there are shuttle buses if you are tired. Its a pleasant walk through the village and along the lake and river

ctkj001
08-10-2009, 02:22 AM
im still undecided to be honest i think the santa fe is out ! altho prob pleasent i do like a bit of luxury i guess !!!! my daughter really wants a pool ( altho not sure how much time we would get to spend in it !!!) also we are driving i guess parking at either the cheyenne or newport is great so is the newport more or less right on the park then??

ctkj001
08-10-2009, 02:23 AM
im still undecided to be honest i think the santa fe is out ! altho prob pleasent i do like a bit of luxury i guess !!!! my daughter really wants a pool ( altho not sure how much time we would get to spend in it !!!) also we are driving i guess parking at either the cheyenne or newport is great so is the newport more or less right on the park then??

milomummy
08-10-2009, 02:35 AM
The pool opening times are a bit random at the mo though, so you might find you won't use it even if you had it. We chose the Davy Crockett Ranch for several reasons, one of them being the pool, but we only used it once and even then it was only for about 20 minutes.
One morning when we were walking into the parks a little girl was crying and her mum was telling her that they didn't go all that way to swim in a pool, which they could do anytime at home - I suppose that kind of makes sense, as you can't bump into Mickey Mouse at home can you!
We stayed at the Santa Fe on our first time and we won't be staying there again. I suppose we were unlucky but out room was dirty and our bathroom was covered in mould, yuck.
The next on my agenda for if we ever go back will definitely be the Cheyenne.

mum'o'3
08-10-2009, 02:38 AM
Newport Bay is about 10-15 min walk, Cheyenne is about 20. When deciding whether it's worth paying extra for a pool, you should consider the fact they are only open 3-10pm in the hotels now and people are reporting having to queue to get in due to the reduced opening times!:sad2:

ctkj001
08-10-2009, 02:43 AM
thanks ! all very helpful , altho now my head working overtime !!! yes the pool altho my daughter wants it at those time possibly not worth it at all esp when we have one just aroun the corner at home !!! looks like the cheyenne is calling altho the newport still lookds good.... ummmm decisions decisions !!! and not long to decide wanna book this weekend !!!

ctkj001
08-10-2009, 02:55 AM
also deal wise is it best to book direct with dlp?? or elsewhere? cheers

manxtatt2
08-10-2009, 04:13 AM
I would recommend the cheyenne

great hotel

and as for booking , youre probally safer booking direct with disney

:cool1:

gemmybear83
08-10-2009, 05:56 AM
Have you thought about the Sequioa Lodge - its slightly cheaper then the Newport Bay and has a pool :thumbsup2

Personally I would go with the Cheyenne - grat theming and fun for kids, I think the bunk beds are a big plus too :goodvibes

davewasbaloo
08-10-2009, 06:14 AM
I've stayed in all the Disney hotels many times over the years. My vote would go either for the Cheyenne (if a pool is not important) or the Sequoia Lodge (I have never had a good stay at the Newport - too big with not enough lifts, capacity for breakfast or cast members). The walk from the Newport can take as long as from the Cheyenne, the Sequoia has a shorter walk than both of them.

Although with little ones, I far prefer the New York or DLH as they offer room service if the children are tired.

Also, another consideration, the Newport Bay and Sequoia have air con (the Cheyenne and Santa Fe do not). If it is hot, this does make a difference.

cap'njack.
08-10-2009, 06:20 AM
Great opinions on thsi thread...everyone has their own favorates.

Personally I'd go for the Cheyenne Hotel. I love the theming of the Hotel and it's not too far from the Village or the Santa Fe (for the garage)

I've stayed at the Newport Bay Club and this hotel is very nice if you can get a room close to the main building. We had a 4 minute walk from the Hotel entrance to out room, but others have had 10-15 minute walks which negates the idea of staying here due to the proximity to the parks.

Jeccaboos
08-10-2009, 06:37 AM
As you are driving, have you considered the Davy Crockett Ranch?

Steve vRS
08-10-2009, 07:20 AM
We've always stayed in the Newport Bay so we could walk to the park. It is interesting that the Cheyenne is that close - I always thought it was a bus ride.

We were completely underwhelmed by the Santa Fe - it looked a bit low rent and just didn't have any magic about it at all.

Steve

angel_nix
08-10-2009, 07:28 AM
We stayed in the Cheyenne with our 3 year old last December and she loved the theming! We walked it to the park in about 12 mins (it was cold and I wanted to warm up!), but Lottie was in the buggy. Breakfast was nice, rooms were lovely and warm, easy access to get a buggy in and out and plenty of storage for all the junk that kids accumulate! We drove there and it was easy to find, easy to park and I cannot fault it! Only thing is that I'm not too sure how "cosy" it would be with a travel cot in it!

loobylou44
08-10-2009, 08:18 AM
We have stayed in the Davy Crockett, disneyland Hotel and most recently the Cheyenne.
My favourite by far was the disneyland - it is beautiful and feels very luxurious and so close to the parks, but budgets don't always run to that!
The Cheyenne had great theming and the breakfast was delicious, as was the buffet lunch served there. In terms of distance from the parks - well my dh and I disagreed on whether walking or the bus was quicker so one evening DD(14) and I took the bus and DH walked. It took us 10mins and we won by about 5 mins!! But to be fair we didn't have to wait for a bus it arrived immediately. So between walking and bus, theres not much in it, but at the end of a tiring day the bus is definitely better!!
We found the Davy Crockett very basic but enjoyed having the extra space, also we went in December and I suspect it may be nicer in the summer.

Ms Poppins
08-10-2009, 10:15 AM
We stayed at the Cheyene on our first visit and our kids loved it. However we are now a bit spoiled by staying at the NY and I don't think I could go back to the Cheyene. I think you will get a bigger room at the Newport Bay than the Cheyene. The rooms at the Cheyene are quite compact with just enough room for a double bed and bunk beds. We had a travel cot in too - very cramped. It's something to consider if you think you'll spend a bit of time in the room

IMO if you're going late August, then a hotel with a pool will be a winner - we used ours in the afternoons and then went back out for dinner and another look at the parks. With 2 young kids it's almost impossible to stay out for the entire day, especially if it's hot, and having somewhere else to go to relax is a great idea.

chickenlittleuk
08-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Out of the three, we've stayed at the Santa Fe and the Newport Bay. Santa Fe was fine, basic but fine and we hardly spent any time in there. The main problem was that on one of our stays we were in a building quite far from the main block but for a budget trip, its adequate and there is always the bus if you don't fancy walking to the park.
The Newport Bay is a fair walk too but the scenery is nice. We really liked this hotel and when we were there a few years ago the service was good and despite being summer, it wasn't overly crowded. The rooms were good and the public areas were very nice, we appreciated the nautical theming. However, that's not to say that things haven't changed now so you may be best taking advice from a more recent visitor.
We are going in a couple of weeks and staying at the DLH. This is costing a huge amount of money and the main (probably the only reason) we are doing this is because I have poor health and am now in a wheelchair so it is convenient for rests and proximity to the park. I think we will really find this beneficial. If proximity is not a major concern then another hotel may suit you fine. I think there are lots of things to consider, such as the ages of people in the party, amount of time you expect to spend in the hotel etc. I hope you manage to come to a decision!

MJ_always
08-10-2009, 12:18 PM
We've only stayed in Newport Bay from those 3 and it was lovely! Really, really enjoyed it. The back of the hotel is really nice to sit outside and the walk around the lake to the park is great, especially when the sun is out lol. Doesnt take long to walk there. We loved the rooms there too, we stayed on the admirals floor. Although we didnt use the pool, we saw the indoor one and it looked brill.

Ash x

jillrobinson
08-11-2009, 05:26 AM
We've stayed at all 3 and Sequoia Lodge, my favourite is the NPB, but to be fair we were on the Admiral's Floor, centre of the building, very close to lifts, upgraded to Lake View and given the VIP breakfast, it was a fabulous stay. With recent reports of Admiral's floor perks creeping back in I'd be tempted to say book that.

My 2nd favourite is the Cheyenne, you can't help but love this hotel, we returned there earlier this year, it was our first DLP trip's hotel and I still loved it, but I did notice a difference at breakfast from SL, having to find your own table, I really wasn't impressed with dishes and cutlery, I went through half a dozen breakfast bowls before finding one that didn't have someone else's cereal still stuck to it, but the hotel room was upto it's usual standard (much better than SL in my opinion) the staff friendly and the walk to the park not as long as I expected, in fact contemplating returning there in October so it can't have been too bad.

There is nothing actually wrong with the Santa Fe, staff are friendly, you are more reliant on buses I suppose, although I've never walked it myself and the rooms/breakfasts are just the same as the Cheyenne. Although it's not aesthetically pleasing to look at from the outside inside the hotel is bright and cheery and there are lots of interesting little trails around the hotel and some details to look out for, the crashed UFO is a favourite of mine.

Re: swimming pools, although we've had 3 stays at hotels with pools, we've never found time to use them.

Hope this helps you come to your decision.:goodvibes

fd1972uk
08-11-2009, 06:42 AM
Loved the Cheyenne, personally if we go back that's the one I want to go back to.

Has no pool though.

The theming is just brilliant and it just has a magic about it.

FD

DLPdaft
08-11-2009, 07:06 AM
It sounds like you have kind of discounted the Santa Fe, but I would just like to say, that the Santa Fe isn't any further away walking from the parks than the Cheyenne is - you just cross the little bridge between the 2 hotels over the river, and you immediately join the Cheyenne guests who are walking to the parks too :).

I loved the public areas of the Newport Bay, but really wasn't too keen on the rooms we had - they were way past the swimming pool, at the end of one of the wings. The room needed refurbished, we had mould on the grout in the bathroom, and the lights/patio door in my room didn't work either. 3 out of the 5 lifts used in that wing didn't work for the duration of our stay last October either. From buttercup's description of her very recent stay at the NBC, it seems things haven't changed much in some of the rooms.

If you have young children with you, I'd say the Cheyenne is just about perfect, especially as, if its your first visit to DLRP, you really won't have time to go swimming - there will be so much more that will distract you :goodvibes.