PDA

View Full Version : What to do, what to do???

Shannon G
08-04-2009, 04:44 PM
We (3 adults, 2 kids) are going to WDW for 9 nights, 11/27 - 12/6. Earlier this year, I got a pin for 40% off, and, after debating between Ft. Wilderness cabins or ASMu family suites, went with the cabin. I justified the increased cost by the fact that we would have a full kitchen, so we only planned on 3 sit-down meals (one of which is HDDR). The discount was not available for the first 2 nights (for which I have AAA discount) or the last night (rack rate). Adding together the room cost, what the 4 meals we plan will cost, and ticket cost (7 day base), the total will be about $3530.

Now Disney comes out with free dining for our dates, and I am torn as to what to do!!! I could drop the room only reservation and book the cabin with the dining plan for about $3975. That's $445 more, but will give us 5 more TS meals, 9 couter service, and 9 snacks. OR, I could book the free dining at ASMu Family Suites, and upgrade from the quick service plan to the regular dining plan, and it will cost about $3472. That's $58 less than our current total, with all of those additional meals & snacks.

I like the atmosphere of the campground, and keep saying how nice it would be to spend more time there, go to the campfire, watch the fireworks from the beach, etc. Especially since we are not planning on doing parks the first couple days of our trip (want to wait for the T-giving crowds to clear out). But, I also like the idea of saving money by staying at ASMu. And with 3 adults and 2 kids, the idea of the 2 bathrooms in the family suites is very appealing too!

marcielm
08-04-2009, 05:17 PM
If it were me I'd swap to the family suite. I'm all about saving $$, and like you said the 2 bathrooms would be nice! The values might be crowded the first few days, but maybe you could still hang out by the pool or something.

AJA
08-04-2009, 07:00 PM
I would also go with the family suite at ASMu. If you aren't going to the parks you could double up on the TS meals the first couple of days and do some character meals.

cosmicrays
08-04-2009, 07:10 PM
I agree with the other ladies. I have stayed at the family suites and I really liked it.

Shannon G
08-04-2009, 08:25 PM
I consulted with the kids, who decided to stay at ASMu (yes, I let a 5 and 7 year old decide!). I have not yet bit the bullet and cancelled the old room only reservation yet though - I'll do that tomorrow.

Which leads to my next question...when I cancel the other reservation (actually 3 back to back room reservations, each with 1 nights deposit) can I have that money applied to my package, rather than refunded to me?

marcielm
08-04-2009, 08:52 PM
Which leads to my next question...when I cancel the other reservation (actually 3 back to back room reservations, each with 1 nights deposit) can I have that money applied to my package, rather than refunded to me?

You should be able to call and tell them you want to change your reservation. It won't cancel a reservation (well, maybe 2 of the 3 will be canceled), but you will modify the reservation to the package at the ASMu. I think Disney should be able to apply the money from the ressie that gets modified to the package, and possibly will refund the deposits on the other two ressies. Clear as mud? :lmao:

Shannon G
08-04-2009, 08:56 PM
You should be able to call and tell them you want to change your reservation. It won't cancel a reservation (well, maybe 2 of the 3 will be canceled), but you will modify the reservation to the package at the ASMu. I think Disney should be able to apply the money from the ressie that gets modified to the package, and possibly will refund the deposits on the other two ressies. Clear as mud? :lmao:

I actually already booked the ASMu package online - I was afraid if I hesitated there'd be no availability when I went back to book it! I'll just ask when I call to cancel the room only reservations if they can transfer the funds. If not I'll just have to go through the steps of getting the refund, and then giving them the money back!