PDA

View Full Version : Going with Family- should we book together, or separately?

FirstTimertoDiz
08-02-2009, 10:04 PM
I guess the title says it all, lol. I am planning a trip for June 2010; it will be me, dh, ds and dd. Also, my parents will be going, and then my sister and her boyfriend, so we will need 3 rooms total.

We were thinking that since we have done multiple trips, and my family has not been there, that I would book all 3 rooms under my name. I got to thinking though, what if I don't get a pin code, and my mom or sister did? Then we couldn't apply it, right?

Is there any advantage to booking together or separately? We are hoping for adjoining rooms at a value resort. We are all planning on getting a package with dining. We do not qualify for a Magical Gathering, since dd will only be 1.

Thanks for any advice! :lovestruc

marcielm
08-02-2009, 10:20 PM
First of all, you can call and book all three rooms, but you will have different names on each reservation. Also, if you get a PIN you can use it for up to three rooms, so if any of you received a PIN, you could apply to all the rooms. Finally, you will have 8 people, so you do qualify for a grand gathering. Last year, I had the six of us (two under the age of 3) and my IL's on our ressie, and we were considered a GG... but then ended up not coming so we were just a regular ressie. The group of 8 is how they look at it, no matter how old everyone is.

FirstTimertoDiz
08-02-2009, 11:36 PM
Ok, so if I understand correctly, even if I call and book all three rooms, there will be separate ressie numbers for each room? So I guess the only advantage to do it that way would be if I got a pin code, right? What if I booked the rooms, then my sister got a pin code- could she call and apply it to all three rooms, even if I called in the ressie?

As far as the grand gathering, it says on Disney's page that only guests 3 and up count towards the guest count for the required 8. Here is a link: http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdwi/en_CA/special/magicalgatherings/ggLandingPage?id=GrandGatheringsLandingPage

marcielm
08-03-2009, 12:21 PM
Yes, even if you sister got the PIN code she could call and have it applied to all three rooms (I believe she would need to call, since it was in her name), especially if you get them 'linked' together. Each room will have their own ressie number. You can tell the CM to link the ressies together, and they will try to get your rooms close to one another. They make no promises when it comes to having connecting rooms, etc.

Okay, I see where the GG is for people 3 & up... There really isn't a benefit to a GG... other than you now go through the GG office rather than the travel office. All the 'extras' that are offered to a GG cost 'extra money'. It's a way, IMO, for Disney to squeak some more cash out of you, by making you feel 'special' that you have so many people in your travel party. :rotfl:

FirstTimertoDiz
08-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Thanks Marcie for the reply- I guess maybe I will go ahead and book all three rooms together and have them "linked." Here's hoping for a discount code for at least one of us!

hahaha, I wondered about that GG racket- your thoughts confirmed my suspicions. ;):lmao:

marcielm
08-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Yeah, the GG is a joke if you are going to try and be as cheap as possible... it doesn't 'save' you any money. My trip will be a GG next spring because we have another fam of 4 traveling with us. I'm not looking forward to dealing with the GG stuff.

Let me know if you need any other help!

disneycruising
08-03-2009, 01:20 PM
Personally, I would have everyone book there own room.

Not to be negative, but what if something happens at the last minute and one of you can't go. How will the effect everyones plans & reservations.;)