PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Gifts???

rlovew
08-02-2009, 04:49 PM
What are people making as Christmas Gifts? I need to get working on things for my huge family.

Rebecca

BernardandMissBianca
08-02-2009, 06:18 PM
no idea. We are going to be in your neck of the woods for Xmas so it will probably be low key.
What ideas do you have??

rlovew
08-02-2009, 07:40 PM
I am thinking of making thank you cards for my sister in law. I have a variety of cute little books I have made for my nieces and nephews. I am think about making a blank calendar for my mother again- I did that a couple of years ago and she loved it (she scraps but not as much as I do).

I already bought a necklace for my sister and a pair of earings for my sister in law. I am making a book on the puppies for my mother in law (actually a big one for her birthday and a mini purse brag book to go along with a pin for Christmas.

We generally kep our Christmas gifts to about $20 a person. I still need stuff for 3 brothers (2 rocket scientists and 1 eho lives with us and is in college) and a brother in law as well as another sister in law (may do some scrapping stuff as she is also a scrapper). I also have no idea for our fathers. I already have something for my grandmother.

I am doing a 6by6 recipe album that I will probably add to my sister's necklace.

Rebecca

BernardandMissBianca
08-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Christmas here is tough because everyone is off and married or living in small spaces. And the last few years no one seems to really appreciate anything anymore, you know what I mean.

The last few years we have done a cookie swap when the whole family gets together.
Me personally, I'm just tired of "stuff". Maybe because DH always asks me for a list then never gets anything on the list because he waits til Christmas eve to shop.

Geesh I sound like such a Debbie Downer. LOL

PrincessNancy96
08-02-2009, 08:01 PM
WE have started hitting the clearance sales now that the kids are getting back in school...but since the kids don't go w/o they asked for a low key Christmas this year...
PJ asked for some altered binder clips
DS8 asked for a new MP3 player
DS13 wants a video game

My mom and sister I have been making off/on scrapbook pages so they only need to insert photos..
I'm starting the first of September..buying restrauant gift cards for grandparents.
I'll probably make thank you cards for DS8's teacher.
I send cookies in for the high school and middle school staff.

I don't know about our Dads... they are so hard to shop for.. I may just do restrauant cards for them too...

DH and I are getting a newer used vehicle for our joint gift.. since PJ will be taking over the truck.. (It's the gift we will continue to pay on for a while! LOL)

DH is getting a completed book of his coaching photos.. We have years and years of team photos where DH was the kids' coaches...

flying_babyb
08-02-2009, 10:06 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH The C word.
Help, I need ideas! I have Mom, Aunt, Grandma, Sis (23),Sis's fieance, Best freind(32) to make gifts for. I also have four kids (9,10,2,4) to make gifts for.
Ive also got my two dear (annoying) sisters (9 and 10) who want digital cameras from santa (who will end up giving in) so i have no clue what to get them.

party of 3
08-03-2009, 05:13 AM
I did Target friday night, because they have a ton of clearance stuff. I bought bubba a sponge bob ipody thing for $3.00. and it holds 120 songs. and a pirates of the caribbean digital camera and it was like $5.00. a bunch of stocking stuffer things. some batman stuff for my great nephew. some high school musical dolls and accessories that were a steal for my great nieces.
all of this is just a start.

but to be honest, i want to boycott christmas this year. i'm just not going to be up to it. if we did not have bubba i think i would. i'll just need a ton of help to get through the holidays.

DisneyIsTerrific
08-03-2009, 06:40 AM
I haven't thought much about Christmas yet!!!:scared1: Maybe I can find some cool things here in Chicago to give!

As for making gifts, the only thing I have in mind so far is a box of a variety of greeting cards for my step-grandmother. She's really hard to buy for and doesn't need anything so this will be perfect since she mails cards to everyone for everything.

I'm sure to make a few other gifts, I just don't know what they are yet!

StitchIsOurHero
08-04-2009, 04:53 AM
I've got to get on this, too. I have been putting back $ for DS's Christmas, so I'm not worried about that--I'll just have fun shopping for that stuff. DH wants some Blu-Ray movies, so that should be easy. I was thinking of having my brother & SIL go have pics made with me, DH, & DS for my parents. We did that 4 years ago, but there wasn't an SIL then, and there wasn't DS. I think it's time for an update!! We're also making all of our old VHS tapes (or my mom's) that are home movies onto DVD's. I'll give a set to Mom & Dad, and to my brother.

Where I'm stuck is for people at work. I wanted to make cards--you know, like 10 cards for each person with their initial on them or something. Then, for people that I'm really close to, put a little something with it. Here's the problem. It's August. I have to be honest and think, "do I have time to do this?" I don't want to not do it, and end up having to spend more at the last minute just to get something. I need motivation!!!

FIL & MIL are taking another cruise during Christmas. Probably, they will get a gift card to use on their cruise.
Christmas is going to be here before we know it! WOW!!!

Lisa
08-04-2009, 07:20 PM
Right now the only thing I've made for Christmas is DN digital album. I have two other presents and that is it. I need to start working on gifts too.

123SA
08-04-2009, 10:06 PM
I'm with you Buffy -- my gifts aren't appreciated, so it's not worth the effort. I think cards would be the most likely to be used but after making 110 Christmas cards, making even more is not all that appealing. I'd love to make rolodexes, but I'd be heart broken if they weren't used.

I have not started planning Christmas cards yet. My sister always seems to design very lovely cards that are simple. I always end up with something I think is simple, but has 25 steps to it:headache:.

My biggest issue with Christmas this year will be finding things to send to DH. The kids will start making some Halloween & Christmas decorations this month to send over to him. I think I'll make a pillowcase with their photo on it. beyond that I am stumped.

SusieStone
08-05-2009, 04:53 AM
I'm with you Buffy -- my gifts aren't appreciated, so it's not worth the effort. I think cards would be the most likely to be used but after making 110 Christmas cards, making even more is not all that appealing. I'd love to make rolodexes, but I'd be heart broken if they weren't used.

I have not started planning Christmas cards yet. My sister always seems to design very lovely cards that are simple. I always end up with something I think is simple, but has 25 steps to it:headache:.

My biggest issue with Christmas this year will be finding things to send to DH. The kids will start making some Halloween & Christmas decorations this month to send over to him. I think I'll make a pillowcase with their photo on it. beyond that I am stumped.

I had a friend that was in the sandpile for a while and I sent him that the sites offered free shipping to AFO and the other one - escapes me now. I did cigars, magazines, jerky, and candy of the decade.

morgansmom2000
08-05-2009, 08:47 AM
I have no ideas and no mojo! I usually make something for Morgan's teacher(s), I'm thinking I may do stamped tile coasters and trivets, but I'm not positive yet. I completely slacked off this May and did nothing for the end of the year. I'll probably end up getting Dunkin Donut gift cards and *maybe* making coffee cup cozies.

StitchIsOurHero
08-06-2009, 04:48 AM
I've been thinking about this since I saw this thread. How difficult are the altered binder clips to make? Keeping in mind, of course, that I'm not exceptionally crafty, and I don't have a lot of time. They look gorgeous, so they probably take forever! ;) Are there "binder clips for dummies" instructions somewhere? I thought maybe for the people at work, I'd make 5-10 cards each & a binder clip, and then find some nice (yet inexpensive) pens. What do y'all think?

AlexWyattMommy
08-06-2009, 05:36 AM
Honestly, they don't take long to make. The hardest part is figuring out how to decorate the wire part. If you rough up the metal surface (emery board) and use the fast drying liquid glue, the paper stays put. The swap thread has the measurements to cut the paper to.

rlovew
08-06-2009, 05:46 AM
The binder clips are quick- especially if you are basically doing them all the same. I can do 3 for a baby shower in about 15 minutes if I have charms to use to decorate them. It takes longer if I do a paper piecing but it is not more appreciated.

Rebecca

flying_babyb
08-06-2009, 06:53 AM
how do you make decorated binder clips? How do you make altered clip borads, since my best freinds son is a clipboard addict and she uses one daily at work....

rlovew
08-06-2009, 07:54 AM
Here is a link to the tutorial on clipboards. I will look for the binder clips when I get a chance: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1497522

Rebecca

rlovew
08-06-2009, 08:02 AM
I have thought about trying to find clear glass dishes at 2nd hand stores/big lots/dollar tree and doing some etching on them- I would just have to figure out what for whom- I know it was really easy when wwe did it as a make and take last week.

Rebecca

Downrivermama
08-06-2009, 08:35 AM
Well since it's just my dd and I and some friends not sure what i'm going to do. I bought a bunch of fleece to make the tie throws and haven't gotten to it yet. DD11 has out grown :santa: -- :sad1: so we are going to go on the Magic Dec 19th Eastern and spend Christmas day on Castaway Cay. She wants an i pod and Walmart has a bundle on the 8GB, with all the do dads for $145 online. I have a Christmas Club at the credit union, so that will pay for a chunk of the cruise.

Would like to get back to handmade stuff. I know who appreciates it and who doesn't. Also Target had a good clearance section- but nothing I was looking for!

Wonder what's going to be out there for Black Friday?

PrincessNancy96
08-06-2009, 09:18 PM
Here is a link w/ video I believe of altered binder clips... (we used the 2" ones)... I have also used the ones a little smaller.. my kids love the smaller ones to hold photos on their desks!

http://crafts.peteandkerry.com/2008/...nder-clip.html

BernardandMissBianca
08-06-2009, 09:28 PM
2 inch strips of paper, glue dots, and a bit of ribbon. Easy Peasy and it goes fast.

party of 3
08-07-2009, 05:29 AM
i love the binder clips. i could not do that swap, but Nan sent me some that she made and i love them!!!
i also love the clip boards. i'm thinking about making that for bubba's teacher for christmas this year.