PDA

View Full Version : Canon camera users

coastiewifern
08-02-2009, 03:00 PM
I am looking to replace my camera. I used to have a canon and was really pleased with it until I lost it. Then I replaced it with an Olympus Stylus and hated it. It was stolen (I wasn't too sad). I'd like to go back to the canon brand. I liked the compact size of the stylus. I hope to spend under $250.

IMPORTANT: I take a lot of pics of the kids playing sports. I want a camera that can take an action shot without it being blurry. I prefer a compact camera. My old canon was an A series and I liked the smaller size of the stylus better.
Suggestions on models? Prices?

BuzzPrincessMom
08-02-2009, 03:39 PM
I adore my Cannon Powershot. I take soccer,baseball, gymnastics etc. pictures and have no problem.

coastiewifern
08-02-2009, 03:58 PM
Please tell me which model you have

BuzzPrincessMom
08-02-2009, 06:32 PM
It is an older one a Powershot A610

The funny thing is I had an Olympus Stylus before this, and the lense cap got loose and it kept on shutting off on me.

anewmac
08-02-2009, 08:48 PM
I have an sd1100 and LOVE IT... small enough to fit into my pocket and takes great action pics of my boys also!

DisneyDizzy
08-02-2009, 08:56 PM
I have the Canon PowerShot SD1200 IS digital Elph. In orange.

I :love: it. We were shopping for a DSLR camera but decided we just weren't ready. This camera was under $200 and it takes fabulous pictures. I got it the first of July and take pictures almost every day or every other day and still haven't needed to charge the battery.

Sandy321
08-02-2009, 09:49 PM
LOVE LOVE LOVE my canon Powershoot!

I know there have been threads (I'm sure you could use the search this forum over at the photog board for more info!)

but again and again - Canon gets thumbs up! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I learned the SD series - they have the rechargable battery - I LOVE this feature, its a sleeker camera -

the "A" series in Canon is the AA battery - that you can recharge - but I think that the SD series hold the charge better!

Do you have a Wolf Camera or a Ritz Camera near you? They are knowledgable and do a great job!

Jsme
08-02-2009, 10:28 PM
I also did not like Olympus. I now have a Cannon Powershot A570IS in which I love. My daughter has an Olympus now and she really likes hers though.

badblackpug
08-03-2009, 01:38 AM
I have the Powershot SD780IS. I love it. It is tiny with a big view screen on the back. I got it from amazon.com.

swilshire
08-03-2009, 11:00 AM
I bought my daughter a G9 when she was in photography class at college. When my own broke just before a vacation, I didn't have time to research the various models and bought the same for myself. I don't really need all the features it has, but I've found it very reliable.

Sheila

TaraPA
08-03-2009, 11:28 AM
LOVE my Canon Powershot! I also had a non-digital Olympus Stylus that I hated.

I have previsouly owned the Canon Powershot A95, right now I have the A610. Like someone else said - the A series are bulkier because they take AA batteries - and you MUST use rechargeable ones or you'll go through them like crazy! My next Powershot will be one with a smaller battery, so the overall camera is smaller & lighter.

I don't think you can go wrong with any model Powershot!

thebeesknees
08-03-2009, 12:26 PM
We love our Powershot. We have the SD series (can't remember the number). If you get it, invest in an extra battery. The only trouble I've had is when I've taken a lot of video and forgotten to recharge the battery. It takes a little over an hour to recharge, so without a backup, you're out of luck. PPs are right - it does hold a charge for a long time, takes great pictures, even of moving children, easy to use, very small, with a big enough card you can get a couple hours of video. Also, I think the screen on the back is a great size - easy to see what you are filming. It's been dropped several times and still works great.

Melrosgirl
08-03-2009, 12:28 PM
Canon Powershot SD1200. Recently bought it and am very happy with it.

justcantwait
08-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Have to agree with the Canon SD1100 IS. Have had ours for over a year, and still love it every time I use it. Took it to Disney for 9 days last June, took almost 700 pics on a 2GB SD card and still had room for plenty more. Get a spare battery, but even that lasts a good long time. Easy to use, fits in a pocket, nice clear shots. Mine was $249 when I bought it, but I know they've come down. Don't know what they're going for now, but under your budget of $250. Try it out! Good luck!

Kathy

Juliet25
08-03-2009, 01:37 PM
double post

Juliet25
08-03-2009, 01:39 PM
I have the Canon PowerShot SD1200 IS digital Elph. In orange.

I :love: it. We were shopping for a DSLR camera but decided we just weren't ready. This camera was under $200 and it takes fabulous pictures. I got it the first of July and take pictures almost every day or every other day and still haven't needed to charge the battery.

Awesome review. OP, I'm considering a Canon as well and I take a lot of pics of kids. Amazon has this model for under $190, including shipping.